Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard Shapeways Wave Holster

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
ZapWizard Shapeways Wave Holster
on: April 27, 2019, 12:26:50 AM
Multitools have changed over the decades, constantly improving functionality and design. What doesn't change however is the sheaths and holsters we use to hold our beloved tools. We have the traditional leather and the old standby of ballistic nylon but no major multitool company offers anything other than those two options. There are some tools that have the option to add a pocket clip but not everyone likes the weight of a Surge hanging from their pocket. People looking for alternative sources for sheaths will likely see the plethora of folks offering kydex sheaths. Kydex is extremely popular with law enforcement and military because of durability the material offers as well as the attachment options like the molle system.

Browsing the internet one day I was looking at kydex options for the Leatherman Wave. Amongst all the photos of sheaths there was one that didn't look like your typical kydex holster. This sheath was on a website named shapeways and that it was created using a unique 3D printing process. It featured an open design and came with several options to customize it the way you want. Eager to know more about this design I struck up a conversation with the gentleman who was running the store.

Joshua Driggs is the brains behind the ZapWizard store and says his product was an evolution of designs based on trial and error as well as customer feedback. He has owned a Wave for many years but didn't use it much due to the bulky sheath and it not being very stylish. Josh saw Adam Savages one day build where he made a sheath for his Wave using sheet metal and Joshua new he could improve on the design. Joshua worked for a company at the time that did Selective Laser Sintered (SLS) Nylon 3D Printing. He learned about the capabilities of this awesome production process, and the Nylon 12 material.

Joshua hooked me up with one of his sheaths and I am very impressed to say the least. When I think of things being 3D printed I think of stuff that's not very durable and can damaged if used roughly. The Nylon material is quite an amazing substance. The sheath has both flexibility as well as a good amount of rigidity, completely crushing my preconceived thoughts about the material. Joshua says there are a few different finishing options for the material but they dramatically increase the cost of production and says you can use some fine grit sand paper to improve the texture. My unit didn't give me any trouble with a cotton shirt but my work shirt would catch on the holster some due to to the polyester content.

I absolutely love the open design compared to traditional sheaths where the tool is completely encapsulated within. The design of the holster allows the tool to removed by pushing up on the bottom of the tool and sliding it up and out of the holster. The sheath uses two methods of retention to keep the tool from coming loose. There's a lip that serves as a rail which locks in the tool where the knife blades sits. This notch helps keep the blade locked down so there is no way it can accidentally open. Also there are two notches that are near the bottom which utilize the locking system of your Wave to snap into the notches. This featured amazed me to no end and I commended Joshua on this design. When you slide the tool into the holster the locks on your tool slide into a recess that compresses the springs in the Wave. This compression along with the recesses allow there to be a mechanical element to keeping the tool secure. Breaking this lock is as simple as pushing the tool upwards and overcoming the tension.

The holster is customizable for different belt sizes and I am using the one inch size due to it being a standard size for most types of belts. The loop that your belt feeds through sits pretty low on the hip which I actually prefer. Nothing is more uncomfortable than a sheath that sits to high and pokes you in the ribs. His belt loop style also has support for PAL/MOLLE style systems.

Another thing that's really interesting about this sheath is area for bit storage. Most sheaths, especially those by Leatherman have an extra pocket where the bit card can go. Joshua chose a design that eliminates the card all together and made it part of the holster. The result is a series of horizontal slots behind the holster that keep your bits handy. I find it rather convenient to have them back there and the amount of tension holding them in place reassures me that I lose any. I love the design, the only drawback is I need to remove my holster to access the bits. Somewhat inconvenient but not a deal breaker.

This holster is just simply amazing and a feat of engineering from both a design point as well as manufacturing. 3D printing has come a long ways and I love how someone used this tech to find a solution to keep multitool ready for any situation. Joshua has almost produced holsters for the Charge and Surge series of tools. If your looking for something that's completely different that your standard sheath and stylish to boot check out this one of a kind product.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:25:51 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: ZapWizard Shapeways Wave Holster
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 03:39:18 AM
Amazing how 3D printing tech has come. Used to be, the plastic was kinda crappy and it couldn't be used for anything that was made to be used hard.Just assorted novelties and prototypes.  I've noticed Shapeways has been introducing a lot of technical/industrial plastics that are made to really take a beating and a half.

Now ,I wonder how long until they come out with a printer that can print using tool steels and harden/heat treat the finished product?  From what I've seen, the steels (or should I simply say "metals") used for 3D printing of tools are a bit weak for withstanding any abuse.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 04:18:01 AM
Somewhat inconvenient but not a deal breaker is what the last sentence should have been concerning the bit retainer on the back of the holster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 04:26:39 AM
Edited.   :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 12:04:19 PM
Very cool sheath and I love the built in bit holder :like: I wonder how hard it would be to incorporate the bit holder part to the sides instead of the back though :think: Be neat to see bits on both sides and maybe a spot for a long flat bit as well :dd: Thanks for sharing, David :salute: :like:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:29:56 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 06:32:11 PM
Cool for sure but I am such a sucker for leather.  I like the way the bits are stowed  :tu:.   Nice work and very nice reviews as always. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:06:12 PM
David Bowen, thanks for the review. Full disclosure: This is the only holster I have ever sent out for review. I made it for myself, but since have expanded the design to include the Charge TTI, and Surge. I also am working on a Free P4 holster, and soon a Rebar holster. The Free P4 for myself, and the Rebar after a customer request.

Since they are 3D printed on-demand I can alter the design at needed. I have made lots of alterations and alternative versions based on customer requests.
Each holster is currently available with a BDU compatible belt loop, double thick loop, and Tek-Lok holder. Each also can have the Leatherman Bit Extender holder added to the side.
I am just one person, and sell these though my Shapeways shop (link in my signature). Shapeways is a 3D printing house that uses professional quality 3D printers to make the parts, as well as handle the shipping and purchasing.

Amazing how 3D printing tech has come. Used to be, the plastic was kinda crappy and it couldn't be used for anything that was made to be used hard.Just assorted novelties and prototypes.  I've noticed Shapeways has been introducing a lot of technical/industrial plastics that are made to really take a beating and a half.

Now ,I wonder how long until they come out with a printer that can print using tool steels and harden/heat treat the finished product?  From what I've seen, the steels (or should I simply say "metals") used for 3D printing of tools are a bit weak for withstanding any abuse.

Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) Nylon is awesome. Compared to "at-home" FDM 3D printing, the actual parts are solid, nearly as good as injection molded plastic. The nylon material is durable and strong. As with all nylons it can absorb water, so I wouldn't leave the tool in the holster after it has been wet. (Any tool should be cleaned and dried if exposed to direct moisture anyhow).

I have made a few parts with 3D printed steel, but nothing "functional" yet. I will be exploring that soon. The sintered steel parts are not as strong as solid steel of course, but strong enough that bottle openers and such are a popular item on Shapeways.

Cool for sure but I am such a sucker for leather.  I like the way the bits are stowed  :tu:.   Nice work and very nice reviews as always. 

I am also a sucker for Leather, but when it comes to a Multitool I want to be able to access it in a second, and put it away just as fast. I also didn't like how high the stock Leatherman Holsters sit on your hip.

------------------

Here is a video showing the holster:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:04 PM
If the tool snags on something at the top will it be yanked out?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:56 PM
If the tool snags on something at the top will it be yanked out?

If something were caught it could pull it out the top, but it would have to be a good solid snag. The tool is held in place using the spring clips. It is held with enough force that the tool won't come out if held upside down, or even shaken moderately. (Less shaking is required on the heavier surge)

There are no protrusions on the wave or charge that should get snagged. The surge might get caught on the clip that holds the blades in place. Because the top edge is exposed, you can still use the holster, and keep a lanyard attached to the Wave's built-in hook.

When it first arrives the 3D print has a texture similar to that of fine sandstone, (~800 grit sand paper). This can catch on knit or loose thread shirts ad David mentioned, but not anything as strong as velcro. The surface will naturally smooth out over time. Mine won't even grip on a microfiber cloth. You can also lightly sand the surface using 1000 grit sand paper. However, don't sand too deep and the black treatment is on the surface. It can be touched up using any black ink.

Here is a photo of mine, taken as I typed this. It is now a bit over a year old. I wear and use it daily. The tool has been cycled thousands of times. You can see a few spots where the black has rubbed off, and some spots where the screws have rubbed against the surface.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 02:44:19 PM
Will it fit other models of Charge? I have a Charge AL for example.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:49:44 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:59 PM
 The scales on the Charge AL are a bit thinner than the TI, however the holster uses the sides and blades to hold the tool in. So a Charge AL should fit.
However there may be a small gap between the back of the tool, and the inside surface of the holster. This may cause some rattling, a thin adhesive foam or plastic shim would solve that.
I don't sell enough to these to go out and buy every Letterman tool combination. (Granted I just bought a SuperTool 300 and Rebar for future designs

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 06:35:09 PM
These looks great!  Any chance making some sheath for Victorinox Spirit?   :pok: :D

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 08:03:53 PM
These looks great!  Any chance making some sheath for Victorinox Spirit?   :pok: :D

All my holsters so far rely on the springs built into the Leatherman tools. The springs on the Spriti move up/down and wouldn't work well as a lock.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 08:20:03 PM
All my holsters so far rely on the springs built into the Leatherman tools. The springs on the Spriti move up/down and wouldn't work well as a lock.

That's true, relying on the lock is a pretty sure fire way to 'click' the tool in.  Just wondering whether maybe the sheath would be elastic enough to have two bumps to clamp onto the sides of the tool :think: ...that'd be sweet. :D

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 12:43:38 AM
The nylon material is flexible, and so it probably would be possible to design something that has bumps on the sides to grip the tool. However,it would require lots of tweaking and prototyping to get just right, and can't be easily simulated using FDM prototypes.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 07:04:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, if that's at all possible, that probably will be first quick access Spirit sheath ever.  :D

Offline 4x4ff

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 09:38:04 AM
I absolutely love this holster except for one small detail.  Do you have it available where it has a belt clip instead of a belt loop?  I hate having to take my belt loose to take the holster off my belt or to access the bits.  Great idea.

Steve

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 03:59:27 AM
The P4 will be available with a belt clip. I haven't yet added that to the other series. I still don't trust a open clip compared to a loop, no matter how flexible the plastic, clips wear out.
I access the bits by just tilting it out and pushing them sideways, but that only works for the bit sizes I already know.

Offline 4x4ff

Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 05:22:37 AM
The P4 will be available with a belt clip. I haven't yet added that to the other series. I still don't trust a open clip compared to a loop, no matter how flexible the plastic, clips wear out.
I access the bits by just tilting it out and pushing them sideways, but that only works for the bit sizes I already know.
I would be happy to purchase one and be a tester for the charge plus titanium if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 05:30:22 AM
The Leatherman Free P4 holster is now available:

I would be happy to purchase one and be a tester for the charge plus titanium if you are interested.
I have added putting a flexible clip option to the list of things to do. My CAD design is completely modular, so it would become available for the Wave and Surge also, but probably beefed up on the Surge.

Here is an image of the clip on the P4:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 02:58:59 AM

Today I designed the open-clip on versions of the Wave and Charge holsters.

Each one is available in three variants.
  • A no-bit holder, smooth back
  • One with four bit holders
  • Four bit holder, and a bit-extender holder

I also designed the requested thumb-tabs that will fit the Wave and Charge. I ordered my own set to test, but they should work the same as my Free P4 tabs which have worked well so far.

Offline 4x4ff

Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 07:05:04 PM
I just wanted to post that as soon as I saw it was released I ordered ZapWizards new case for my Charge Plus TTI with the open belt hook.  I've only used it for 2 weeks but so far I am beyond impressed.  It has been great to work with and I can easily swap it between pants without having to remove my belt.  I will ad that this is an unsolicited post and I paid full price for my holster.  No paid promotion here just a happy (so far) customer.

Steve

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 09:15:46 PM
Thanks for the glowing review Steve.

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 06:30:38 PM
Very impressive. I would like to purchase one for my Surge!
NRA Life member

Offline 4x4ff

Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 08:40:14 PM
Well it finally happened. Caught the holster on a chair and it snapped the belt clip off. Now I'm bummed.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 02:50:41 AM
Sorry to hear that. I have actually had mine stop me when caught on something, but not yet snap. I would offer a discount, but Shapeways doesn't do that, and I really only make a few bucks of each anyways.
Out of curiosity: Was yours a full loop or the open clip?

Offline 4x4ff

Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 03:20:12 AM
Mine was the open loop.  It had been working perfectly up til now.  Only issue I've ever had is for some reason if I was on a creeper under my truck it would slip out of the sheath.  Aside from that I really loved it.

Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD