Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm SAK Family Tree - Know Your Names and Relationships!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
OK, I admit it - I'm terrible with names!  :facepalm:

And getting to know the names across the Victorinox model range is no less challenging, especially as this is a relatively new interest for me, so I have not had years to build up the necessary familiarity.

SAKWiki is a great knowledge source and very well laid out, but I wanted a one-page family tree showing all the names and relationships, to help me understand the range. I looked...but could not find one, so I created one myself...  :salute:

I've started with the 91mm current range from Victorinox. Only regular production, and not beyond 8 layers.

The family tree starts with the 2-layer models, and grows by layers, splitting off to a new model whenever a single new major tool is added. You could represent the model relationships differently, but I found this the most logical.

Some interesting observations from the tree:

- No surprise that Spartan is the Big Daddy of the family.
- Victorinox clearly views the Corkscrew as an iconic tool. Even though the Phillips back tool is arguably more relevant today, it's vastly outnumbered.
- Can now see 'children' of 'parents', eg: Climber+Camper=Huntsman, Mountaineer+Huntsman=Ranger, Super Tinker+Hiker=Fieldmaster.
- CyberTool L is more closely related to Handyman than the other CyberTools.
- I now can easily see what current 91mm SAKs I'm missing.

I certainly will use this tree to help learn the 91mm family. I'll also enjoy ticking off the ones I have, and using it to help make decisions on the next.  :D

Just don't ask me to add in all the discontinued models...

I've attached a screenshot and the PDF. I'm happy to share and PPT if anyone wants the file (file type not supported here). It's free to use so long as not for commercial benefit.  :pok:

Victorinox 91mm Family 2019.jpg
* Victorinox 91mm Family 2019.jpg (Filesize: 156.78 KB)
* Victorinox 91mm Family 2019.pdf (Filesize: 195.53 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Online FolderBeholder

Re: 91mm SAK Family Tree - Know Your Names and Relationships!
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:50:50 PM
I've started with the 91mm current range from Victorinox. Only regular production, and not beyond 8 layers.

:like:  Wish there was a LOVE sign, because that is a very nice SAK family tree.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:59:42 PM
Very nice!

I did something similar, although I included discontinued models that used the modern toolsets.  I did not include any models that replaced tools from the Spartan or Tinker (i.e., serrated main blade instead of normal blade).

Here's mine. It's a large PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uau19t4adfoszyv/Victorinox%2091mm%20Spartan-Tinker%20Family%20Tree.pdf?dl=0

- FiL

ua Offline LeaF

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:17 PM
SAKWiki is a great knowledge source and very well laid out, but I wanted a one-page family tree showing all the names and relationships, to help me understand the range. I looked...but could not find one, so I created one myself...  :salute:

Excellent mindset and excellent results!  :hatsoff:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:30:41 PM

The family tree starts with the 2-layer models, and grows by layers, splitting off to a new model whenever a single new major tool is added. You could represent the model relationships differently, but I found this the most logical.

I've attached a screenshot and the PDF. I'm happy to share and PPT if anyone wants the file (file type not supported here). It's free to use so long as not for commercial benefit.  :pok:

Nice job Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:33:57 PM
Thanks all...  :hatsoff:

Also FiL and LeaF for your links. Certainly much more comprehensive! Baby-steps for me at the moment.  :pok:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:35:00 PM
Nice one Max  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:46:31 PM
 :hatsoff: ...now I also have a cheat-sheet to ID what I'm looking at  :tu:

Offline dlew919

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:30:46 AM
OK, I admit it - I'm terrible with names!  :facepalm:

And getting to know the names across the Victorinox model range is no less challenging, especially as this is a relatively new interest for me, so I have not had years to build up the necessary familiarity.

Some interesting observations from the tree:

- No surprise that Spartan is the Big Daddy of the family.
- Victorinox clearly views the Corkscrew as an iconic tool. Even though the Phillips back tool is arguably more relevant today, it's vastly outnumbered.
- Can now see 'children' of 'parents', eg: Climber+Camper=Huntsman, Mountaineer+Huntsman=Ranger, Super Tinker+Hiker=Fieldmaster.
- CyberTool L is more closely related to Handyman than the other CyberTools.
- I now can easily see what current 91mm SAKs I'm missing.

I certainly will use this tree to help learn the 91mm family. I'll also enjoy ticking off the ones I have, and using it to help make decisions on the next.  :D

Just don't ask me to add in all the discontinued models...

Thanks for that. It’s brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 03:09:20 AM
Nice job Max. not sure where you would put it - champion plus, maybe over swiss champ? or somewhere between explorer/ranger

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:24:40 AM
Hello Blackbeard. It can be a little difficult to add the discontinued models, as this diagram will explode into a sea of models and names. (Probably needs a separate diagram just on the discontinued regular models).

...but based on the simple rule I used that you need to find a model that you only ‘add’ tools to (to ‘grow’ the tree), the closest match to the Champion Plus will be the Ranger. On the 7-layer level.

By adding the fish tool and magnifier/Phillips layers, you get the Champion Plus.

Can be a fun exercise to see the relationships.  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:14 AM
Thanks for that. It’s brilliant.

Thanks dlew919  :hatsoff:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 08:35:22 AM
champion plus is discontinued?  :cry:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:36 AM
Damn, I checked the wiki,says it was not in catalogue since 2016, I had bought one last year on amazon so assumed it was still in the lineup...my bad

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 10:32:32 AM
Brilliantly done :hatsoff:

I have seen other diagrams but what I really like in this one is the decision to divide the “family heads” between corkscrew and screwdriver. That makes so much sense!! You could almost call that a revelation!

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 01:38:42 PM
Thanks ‘83!  :hatsoff:

It’s the first thing I look at when I pick up 91mm SAK, so it made sense to split them on this feature. The rest fell into place quite nicely after that.

The only issue I have is that this job is really only half done, as I have to find a way to incorporate the discontinued models. As there are so many, I may need to group together close variations and separate standard production models from limited or special editions to keep the diagram compact. Something to look at over the weekend if I get time.  :tu:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 02:32:40 PM
Excellent work and I love the graphic Max!  I was thinking of doing something similar, and now I don't have to.  Thanks for sharing. 

Myron

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 02:35:04 PM
Well done.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 02:56:29 PM
I love the way you visually represented the layers.

One thing: You're missing a line from the CyberTool M to the CyberTool L.

- FiL

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:29 PM
Thanks Myron, Aloha!  :hatsoff:

Thanks FiL. But the CyberTool L is closer to the Handyman than the CyberTool M, if you follow the rule of finding the smallest incremental tool addition.

They share the same ‘family’ by name and the bit tools, but the L is more closely related to the Handyman  :)

so Offline maxt

Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 12:17:07 AM
I like how the OP made this self-explained symbols\pictograms of the tools. Of course, Leaf's and Fil's diagrams are comprehensive but the clearness of OP presentation is amazing (symbols + layers).

Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 12:55:13 AM
Nice job Max  :like:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 05:20:15 AM
Thanks for sharing this! Superb work, just brilliant.  :hatsoff:

Do you know you've made a cladogram? Do you work in biology, paleontology, taxonomy, sort of thing?
Rambler

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 05:33:07 AM
Cool family tree, Max.  :like:

Nice job Max. not sure where you would put it - champion plus, maybe over swiss champ? or somewhere between explorer/ranger
Hello Blackbeard. It can be a little difficult to add the discontinued models, as this diagram will explode into a sea of models and names.
I think that you should definitely add the Champion Plus. Note that while it doesn't appear in Victorinox catalogs (since the 1980's), it seems to be very much in production and always available on Amazon (US). More importantly, you have this big white empty space right where it should go that seems to be calling for it to be included.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 07:54:59 AM
Thanks Sir V, maxt.  :hatsoff:

Thanks Sawl. No, I did not know this was a cladogram, but I now see this method was followed, thanks!

I work in IT, so tend to follow small incremental steps...add one thing, test, progress, etc.

I’m definitely going to look at incorporating more models, but for this one I decided to lock it down on what’s currently listed on the Victorinox site.

Thanks again!  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 12:24:29 AM
OK, so it took a little effort, but I managed to put all the 91mm discontinued models on one sheet.  :tu:

It's not intended to be completely exhaustive, as it does not include special editions such as the Smoky Mountain Knife Works (SMKW) exclusive Wildlife Series or the many Swiss Bianco limited editions. But I think I've managed to capture the mainstream production models - at lease what's listed on SAKWiki.

It's a more complex diagram that the 'Current' models one I started this thread with, but I think it still manages to be a usable diagram to help understand the discontinued models in the 91mm range?

...and I missed the Expedition Lite in the 'Current' model diagram, so I'm going to add that and also the XLT and XAVT SwissChamps. Then I'm all done! :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%