Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman free p2 p4

Poll

Just curious of people’s opinion

Love
10 (40%)
Hate
1 (4%)
On the fence
14 (56%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Offline gilson65

Leatherman free p2 p4
on: April 29, 2019, 02:08:20 AM
Personally I love my p2

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman free p2 p4
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 02:17:50 AM
I own probably 75 Leatherman Tools. I can’t see my P4 leaving my pocket any time soon.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:42:02 AM
 :iagree:

The P4 is my favorite of them as well. The fit & finish, of the P series, needs a new classification. I cannot think of a single tool that has such a high level of refinement incorporated with a highly complex design. I am not sure how the magnets are going to do around metal dust/particulates, but will find out. I work around a lot of steel wool dust, and am concerned the tool will pick up the dust and need to be cleaned out too often. However, that said, I will definitely be carrying the P4 on my days off for a while. I took the pocket clip off of my P2 and put it on the P4. Very nice, if a touch on the heavy side(compared to a Wave), but still within my realm of acceptable. :)

If anyone is interested, below is a link to some of my observations about the P2/P4.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81316.msg1922775.html#msg1922775
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 05:02:58 PM
So.

Do I buy a P4 or go for a signal? I have numerous LM's and love them all but...the P4 here in the UK is £190 (or $239)

I have had a protracted (and painful) email exchange with LM Customer Service who essentially, have told me to f*#k off, as it's down to the retailer to set their own price (despite redirecting me to their preffered supplier here in the UK)  :bnghd:

I appreciate that we, in the UK, are not alone in being ripped off by Leatherman but, if it was $239 in the US would you still buy it?

I really would like one but, short of a trip to the US, I can't bring myself to pay such a mark up to a company famed for it's customer service (in the US anyway)

Thoughts please... :-\
They don't like it up 'em!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 06:02:08 PM
So.

Do I buy a P4 or go for a signal? I have numerous LM's and love them all but...the P4 here in the UK is £190 (or $239)

I have had a protracted (and painful) email exchange with LM Customer Service who essentially, have told me to f*#k off, as it's down to the retailer to set their own price (despite redirecting me to their preffered supplier here in the UK)  :bnghd:

I appreciate that we, in the UK, are not alone in being ripped off by Leatherman but, if it was $239 in the US would you still buy it?

I really would like one but, short of a trip to the US, I can't bring myself to pay such a mark up to a company famed for it's customer service (in the US anyway)

Thoughts please... :-\

Well, both the Free P4 and the Signal cost too much for what they are in my opinion.  Both of them get beaten by the Wave in usability every day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

Having said that I should add that I own a Free P4 and two Signals ...  ::)

The Free P4 has a huge fidget factor but does nothing that the Wave couldn't do (okay, it has an "awl/flat-srewdriver thingy" which the wave doesn't have).  But like I said, it's fun to play with and looks great, that's for sure.

The Signal is a bit of a niche tool, for EDC I prefere the Wave, but when I go hiking in the woods, I tend to lean towards the Signal, for a couple of reasons. 

First of all I love the fact that I can clip it to a strip on my backpack with the carabiner.  I love the fact that you have a ferro rod and whistle on you just by bringing your multitool along (yes, you can buy both ferro rods and whistles that are better than the ones found on the Signal, but you could say that about every implement on every other multitool as well).  And it has an awl which the Wave doesn't have.  You do have to give up the mini screwdriver on the Wave which I've used in the past to set the declination on my compass while hiking, but now I just put the small screwdriver that came along with my compass (Suunto) on the lanyard of the compass itself, like it's supposed to be.

If I had to choose between the two, and I already owned a Wave, Charge or Surge, I would go for the Signal (especially since they've dropped a bit in price since they first came out).  They used to cost 179 Euro at first, now you can easily find them for around 150 Euro, still expensive, but not as bad as the 179 Euro they used to go for.

P.S.: If you're looking for a tool with a large fidget factor, I would also suggest checking out a Swisstool, pure mechanics on them, no sneeky tricks on them like magnets and stuff to get them to click when you close them, pure mechanics ...  :drool:

Just my own humble opinion, as always  ;).

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 06:42:08 PM
Well, both the Free P4 and the Signal cost too much for what they are in my opinion.  Both of them get beaten by the Wave in usability every day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

Having said that I should add that I own a Free P4 and two Signals ...  ::)

The Free P4 has a huge fidget factor but does nothing that the Wave couldn't do (okay, it has an "awl/flat-srewdriver thingy" which the wave doesn't have).  But like I said, it's fun to play with and looks great, that's for sure.

The Signal is a bit of a niche tool, for EDC I prefere the Wave, but when I go hiking in the woods, I tend to lean towards the Signal, for a couple of reasons. 

First of all I love the fact that I can clip it to a strip on my backpack with the carabiner.  I love the fact that you have a ferro rod and whistle on you just by bringing your multitool along (yes, you can buy both ferro rods and whistles that are better than the ones found on the Signal, but you could say that about every implement on every other multitool as well).  And it has an awl which the Wave doesn't have.  You do have to give up the mini screwdriver on the Wave which I've used in the past to set the declination on my compass while hiking, but now I just put the small screwdriver that came along with my compass (Suunto) on the lanyard of the compass itself, like it's supposed to be.

If I had to choose between the two, and I already owned a Wave, Charge or Surge, I would go for the Signal (especially since they've dropped a bit in price since they first came out).  They used to cost 179 Euro at first, now you can easily find them for around 150 Euro, still expensive, but not as bad as the 179 Euro they used to go for.

P.S.: If you're looking for a tool with a large fidget factor, I would also suggest checking out a Swisstool, pure mechanics on them, no sneeky tricks on them like magnets and stuff to get them to click when you close them, pure mechanics ...  :drool:

Just my own humble opinion, as always  ;).

Thanks for your input on this  :cheers: I did look at the Swisstool options (I've been told how good the workmanship is) However, they don't seem to have the one handed opening that my Surge, Wave, Skeletool etc...do (unless someone knows different)

That feature is quite important to me as I need it for the day job, Customs (and my volunteer role, SAR) which is odd given that my Vic Rescue Tool does?

What we seem to lack, here in the UK at least, is a physical store that one can visit and actually handle the damn things and compare them (even a single outlet supplier, i.e. a Leatherman/Gerber store) I know there is a Vic' store in Bond St (central London) but, due to lack of one handed operation, is of no use to me  ::)

Could be the Signal then... :dunno:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:44:39 PM
Definitely don't pay the equivalent of $239 for the P4. Maybe wait for some second hand examples to start popping up later this year on eBay(with intl shipping options)? Maybe retail will drop by then as well?  :dunno:

As far as recommending it,  I can honestly say it is the only tool that I didn't get bored of fiddling with after a couple of weeks. It is still fun for me to play with and use.
Swisstools are cool and all, but you absolutely have to use both hands to operate it effectively, which really dampens the fidget factor(for me anyway, since I usually mess with the MT/knife in one hand while surfing the internet on my phone with the other). :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 07:20:07 PM
Definitely don't pay the equivalent of $239 for the P4. Maybe wait for some second hand examples to start popping up later this year on eBay(with intl shipping options)? Maybe retail will drop by then as well?  :dunno:

As far as recommending it,  I can honestly say it is the only tool that I didn't get bored of fiddling with after a couple of weeks. It is still fun for me to play with and use.
Swisstools are cool and all, but you absolutely have to use both hands to operate it effectively, which really dampens the fidget factor(for me anyway, since I usually mess with the MT/knife in one hand while surfing the internet on my phone with the other). :)

Again, thanks for the response  :like:

The issues are;

1) Buying off Fleabay (happy to accept recommendations for a reliable seller)

2) Intl Shipping. This seems to be a particular UK issue (we do have ridiculous knife laws here) but, I am unable to find out what the exact problem is. It seems it is possible to ship elsewhere in the EU, just not here? Answers on a postcard (very old school British comment, sorry  :D)

As for the retail price dropping, I won't hold my breath. We are still being charged $170 USD for a Wave +  (you pay $99 USD) and that wouldn't include shipping (if it was allowed  ::) )

It's difficult to advocate LM to a newbie when they just seem intent on ripping off anyone outside the US  :rant:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 07:24:52 PM
Thanks for your input on this  :cheers: I did look at the Swisstool options (I've been told how good the workmanship is) However, they don't seem to have the one handed opening that my Surge, Wave, Skeletool etc...do (unless someone knows different)

That feature is quite important to me as I need it for the day job, Customs (and my volunteer role, SAR) which is odd given that my Vic Rescue Tool does?

What we seem to lack, here in the UK at least, is a physical store that one can visit and actually handle the damn things and compare them (even a single outlet supplier, i.e. a Leatherman/Gerber store) I know there is a Vic' store in Bond St (central London) but, due to lack of one handed operation, is of no use to me  ::)

Could be the Signal then... :dunno:

Nope, no one hand opening on the Swisstool, which, for my situation at least, is a huge advantage.  Since this means it's legal in most of the countries I visit (or pass through) while on vacation.  And I don't really need OHO for my job.

Again, please don't get me wrong, the Free P4 is a fun tool, and I'm even thinking about buying another one (I know that, until I own a back up for the collection, I won't use mine full out ...  ::)). 

But ... for the 199,95 Euro I could get myself so much other nice stuff.  Another topic here turned my attention to the Coyote Rebar (from which I could buy two for the price of one Free P4, and still have some cash leftover).  Or maybe get a Coyote Rebar and another BO ST300 (since I don't use my current one, because it's the cap crimper version and I only have one BO ST300 at the moment  ::)).  And I've also been looking at a Coyote Signal for a long time (But I don't like the fact that you can't buy the black ferro rod and diamond coated file for those, which means ones the are worn out you would have to replace them with the yellow ones (or try to put the ferro rod from a yellow one back in the plastic part of the worn out black one).

Choices  :ahhh.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 08:01:19 PM
Nope, no one hand opening on the Swisstool, which, for my situation at least, is a huge advantage.  Since this means it's legal in most of the countries I visit (or pass through) while on vacation.  And I don't really need OHO for my job.

Again, please don't get me wrong, the Free P4 is a fun tool, and I'm even thinking about buying another one (I know that, until I own a back up for the collection, I won't use mine full out ...  ::)). 

But ... for the 199,95 Euro I could get myself so much other nice stuff.  Another topic here turned my attention to the Coyote Rebar (from which I could buy two for the price of one Free P4, and still have some cash leftover).  Or maybe get a Coyote Rebar and another BO ST300 (since I don't use my current one, because it's the cap crimper version and I only have one BO ST300 at the moment  ::)).  And I've also been looking at a Coyote Signal for a long time (But I don't like the fact that you can't buy the black ferro rod and diamond coated file for those, which means ones the are worn out you would have to replace them with the yellow ones (or try to put the ferro rod from a yellow one back in the plastic part of the worn out black one).

Choices  :ahhh.

I know what you mean with the choices thing  :multi: The only reason I haven't visited the Vic' store, despite what I've said, is I'd come out somewhat lighter in the wallet dept  :climber:

It's interesting that you say the lack of OHO is beneficial for the countries you visit (what are they?) because, although the UK has some of the most backward knife laws anywhere, OHO isn't a problem the locking blade is! Essentially, for a locking blade of ANY length (or a non-locking over 7.62cm, regardless of OHO) you only have two defences in law, in the UK;

1) Lawful authority.

2) Reasonable excuse.

I won't go into them here as I'm sure it's been done to death  :twak:

I've looked at the Rebar but, again, no OHO  :facepalm:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 08:18:18 PM

Which means ones the are worn out you would have to replace them with the yellow ones (or try to put the ferro rod from a yellow one back in the plastic part of the worn out black one).

Dude, obviously you buy some yellow spares to begin with and put those in as users.

At home you put the original ones back in when it goes back on display.
Duh! :fugly:

Newcomers ::)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 08:23:51 PM
When I replied earlier today, I don't think there were any votes for "hate" of the P2/P4. Now there is one. I'd be very interested to find out if the person who voted "hate" today actually owns the thing.  ::) :P :rofl:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 08:32:27 PM

Dude, obviously you buy some yellow spares to begin with and put those in as users.

At home you put the original ones back in when it goes back on display.
Duh! :fugly:

Newcomers ::)

Grown ups are talking here  :twak:.

@SurgeUk: In Germany OHO knives are a no go (at least that's what I was told), even though you can carry a fixed blade up until a certain length.  And Germany is one of my vacation destinations, and when it's not, we do have to cross it to get to Austria, Switzerland, Italy, etc ...  I don't know all the knife laws in Europe, but carrying non OHO ones seems like a safe bet.

@ Nick: You know I'm just messing with you right ?  I wouldn't dare to start a fight with one of my fellow countrymen her.  By the way, can you imagine the look of a coyote Signal with the yellow parts on it  :sa:. Even if it was just so you could use them ...  :td:.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 08:36:16 PM
When I replied earlier today, I don't think there were any votes for "hate" of the P2/P4. Now there is one. I'd be very interested to find out if the person who voted "hate" today actually owns the thing.  ::) :P :rofl:

Anyone who bought one at full retail will just have to learn to love it ...  No turning back when you've coughed up that amount of money ...  ::)

:D

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 08:43:21 PM
Grown ups are talking here  :twak:.

@SurgeUk: In Germany OHO knives are a no go (at least that's what I was told), even though you can carry a fixed blade up until a certain length.  And Germany is one of my vacation destinations, and when it's not, we do have to cross it to get to Austria, Switzerland, Italy, etc ...  I don't know all the knife laws in Europe, but carrying non OHO ones seems like a safe bet.

@ Nick: You know I'm just messing with you right ?  I wouldn't dare to start a fight with one of my fellow countrymen her.  By the way, can you imagine the look of a coyote Signal with the yellow parts on it  :sa:. Even if it was just so you could use them ...  :td:.

Sorry, did I start a war  :popcorn:

It seems that I'm stuck with paying UK/EU prices then  ::) I often travel to Italy and France so I might just have to have a look there and see if I can pick one up cheaper, although probably not (the Mafia is big in Oregon   :whistle:)

Any thoughts on a possible alternative, must be OHO and of a suitable quality (and be a P4  :ahhh)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 08:45:08 PM

Anyone who bought one at full retail will just have to learn to love it ...  No turning back when you've coughed up that amount of money ...  ::)

:D

:cheers:

Unfortunately, you and I paid vastly different retail. Mine was cheaper than a Charge TTi. Leatherman needs to get their smurf together with the international distribution and pricing situation. The P4 should be €145-€150. IMO. Still expensive, but not insane.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 09:12:46 PM
Oh and just to be clear.
Tapatalk doesn't show polls. So that hate vote came from anyone but me.

I don't hate any actually branded tool.

No need for insinuating things that didn't happen.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 09:14:38 PM
Clear voting screen when I switch to the mobile site.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
I love my P4.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 09:22:59 PM
:cheers:

Unfortunately, you and I paid vastly different retail. Mine was cheaper than a Charge TTi. Leatherman needs to get their smurf together with the international distribution and pricing situation. The P4 should be €145-€150. IMO. Still expensive, but not insane.

Mine was also cheaper than a Charge TTi, but then again, at 250€ everything is cheaper than a TTi   ::).

Oh, and I voted "on the fence" since I have a bit of a love/hate relationship going on with the Free (partly due to the insane retail price over here).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 09:27:55 PM
Sorry, did I start a war :popcorn:

It seems that I'm stuck with paying UK/EU prices then  ::) I often travel to Italy and France so I might just have to have a look there and see if I can pick one up cheaper, although probably not (the Mafia is big in Oregon   :whistle:)

Any thoughts on a possible alternative, must be OHO and of a suitable quality (and be a P4  :ahhh)

No man, you didn't start a war.  Mechy needs a good  :twak: from time to time, you know ... kids  ::).

Alternatives ... let me think ...  :think:.

I hear good things about the Gerber CenterDrive, I don't own one (yet) but it does look like a good tool, and with, what looks to be, a great OHO knife and a very capable bit driver as it seems.

Edit: Again, just messing with you Mechy ... wink wink.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 09:36:20 PM
Oh and just to be clear.
Tapatalk doesn't show polls. So that hate vote came from anyone but me.

I don't hate any actually branded tool.

No need for insinuating things that didn't happen.
I am having a hard time believing you thought I was implying you voted that way. :dunno:
I simply said I'd be interested to know IF the person who voted OWNED the tool. No fingers were pointed. Reading between the lines is overrated, because it usually leads in incorrect assumptions.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 10:05:51 PM
Maybe we should try and get this topic back on track.

SurgeUk asked for a possible alternative, must be OHO and of a suitable quality (and he also said it had to be a P4, but I'm going to ignore that for now ;)).

I suggested the Gerber CenterDrive, any other suggestions ?

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 11:14:46 PM
Hi there
For those ,  like me,   not in the US find a trustworthy friend in the US. Buy the LM on line from the LM store, ship to your mate who can then post it on to you.
I think if you spend over 75 US LM will ship for free to the US so that also helps.
It is then up to you to reimburse your mate which is easy enough .
I have done this a few times now .

Easy as !  :cheers:
Semper Sitienti !!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 12:09:26 AM
Hi there
For those ,  like me,   not in the US find a trustworthy friend in the US. Buy the LM on line from the LM store, ship to your mate who can then post it on to you.
I think if you spend over 75 US LM will ship for free to the US so that also helps.
It is then up to you to reimburse your mate which is easy enough .
I have done this a few times now .

Easy as !  :cheers:

I like your thinking  8) but, as a UK Customs Officer (CBP in the US) I can't ask someone to circumvent the law for me, and nor would I. That could involve legal action against them (unlikely) and prosecution for me (VERY likely)

It's a sh#t load of money to pay but not worth my inegrity/job  :angel:

I'll just have to wait for a trip to the US or for LM to do the right thing (I'll start looking for cheap flights then  :whistle:)

Anyone got a spare bunk.. ;)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 02:55:00 AM
If they had put the texture of the file of the wave to the p series would have been great!
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

gb Offline shadow78

Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 01:12:39 PM
I like your thinking  8) but, as a UK Customs Officer (CBP in the US) I can't ask someone to circumvent the law for me, and nor would I. That could involve legal action against them (unlikely) and prosecution for me (VERY likely)

It's a sh#t load of money to pay but not worth my inegrity/job  :angel:

I'll just have to wait for a trip to the US or for LM to do the right thing (I'll start looking for cheap flights then  :whistle:)

Anyone got a spare bunk.. ;)

You can also look around for second hand or pre-owned offers, here or shpock. I got a near new cond Signal for £70 last year.
I have all the tools it has been broght up here and I have to say unless you aching to get the P4 I wouldn't recommend it mainly because of the price tag. I sold 2 of my spare LMs to add funds towards the P4 price. Its a good day to day tool and most of normal tasks can be done with it. The one hand option is a bonus, but I have a wave plus which I can open one handed + all the external tools are one handed. Only the inner tools require my second hand. So agree with others the wave outperforms the P4.
I guess the knife law will be changed very soon here again getting even stronger thanks to all the crimes in London :(

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 02:34:37 PM
I do not love it, nor do I hate it, nor am I on the fence about it.

I will not be buying one, unless some issues get sorted out, and price drops dramatically.
I have lots of LM MTs, as well as other brands, and the selling points of the Free tools do not appeal all that much to me. I edc a Rebar, which I carry in a Maxpedition Micro, so quick access one-handed operation is not something that concerns me.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 06:47:46 PM
Well said, RP! :like:

+1 on the outbaord implements not being a deal breaker in most cases.
Particularly since I tend to use the pliers and drivers simultaneously often. Inboard implements become outboard in that scenario.  :ahhh
I still like outboard implements, but opening handles to retrieve drivers takes me an extra couple of seconds, while the payoff is that the inboard implements are less susceptible to getting dirty.

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 11:29:25 AM
When i work, usually i work alone, and not once, did i had to use my feet, my mouth, and all body parts that could grab and hold the thingies i work on.
That beeing said, Free P multitool platform serves me as i put it already to the test and it performed very good.
I have to say that i used Surge, Wave and Squirt untill i pensioned tham to use theFree P series.
Jobs around the house mainly.
Free P has failed me on small screws, lite the ones on tv remotes. Never had an issue with the Wave or Surge (md1, my favorite and first multitool)
I do open small electronics, and there you need something dedicated, yet i managed it with the Wave and Surge numerous times, i opened even laptops and Tablets with the two.
Now, seeing the 4mm bit holder that a coforumist is doing, i may be able to get the Fre P to my needs, yet
i have observed that i'm not into changing and carrying bits and extra
I like to be light and nimble...
well, can't have it all
Except the price and if possible a more robust design/improvement, Free P serves me as well as any other multitool
ps: i'm into one hand axx tools. they can be inside , outside, whatever, yet when i need them i like to be able to get the tool as easy as possible , without headackes with one hand
pps: altough Surge was pensioned by Wave gen1, since i have the P2, Wave does not see action anymore
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD