Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Have you ever been wrong about a multi-tool?

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Re: Have you ever been wrong about a multi-tool?
Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 06:19:46 PM
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 07:07:19 PM
In retrospect I'm not sure I should have sold my Skeletool and moved to a Charge AL. Not that I don't use it but....
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 08:49:53 PM
Back in the very long past, when I only owned some Leathermans, I thought the handle shape of the Spirit just looked odd and I resisted getting one. :doh:  However given it's reputation here on the forum I wasn't that surprised that I liked it when I finally got one.

I had the same feeling about the Spirit once (which might come as a shock to some  ;)). Here's a quote from myself in a topic about the handle misalignment a couple of years ago ...

I bought my first Spirit there since it was on sale, until then I've always thought of the Spirit as being a "weird looking copy of a Wave", but since it was on sale I had to try one myself, and when the person behind the counter placed it in my hand, it was love at first sight ...  I liked it so much I returned a couple of days later and bought the two remaining Spirits and the Swisstool

For those of you who want to read the entire topic again, click here.

There's also the Skeletool, I found one on a Belgian second hand site years ago, when they just came out in the U.S., and the Belgian seller had 3 of the very first Skeletool CX's over here, in a nice tin gift box, with a sticker on the back saying "only ment for sale in U.S." or something, guess he went on vacation to the U.S. and decided to make a bit of money by importing some skeletools ... Anyway, he was selling them at a great price so I contacted him and jumped into the car to go and pick it up.  But when I was there and held it in my hands, I was quite dissapointed.  I expected it to be the size of the Wave, and those pliers were so tiny compared to the ones on the Wave ...

Still took it home with me and decided to give it a go for EDC, and a week later it was one of my favorite tools ... By now, the old CX has long been retired, and I got myself two regular stainless versions when they were on sale at the local outdoorshop. (@Nick, I bought them at the A.S. store, at -50%, so I ended up paying about 48 Euro/piece.  Still have one unopened, too bad for you that I'm a bit of a hoarder and won't let it go ...  :P)

Later on I saw the MUT, and again thought it would be Wave sized ... got one of the first available here, was dissapointed because it was so much bigger than a Wave ... decided to carry it and ended up loving it ...

And when the Signal came out, finally a Wave sized tool in the Skeletool/MUT style, I didn't like it (at first) ... too many plastic parts, a tiny firesteel, yellow parts on it ... And quite expensive over here ... A couple of months later the price dropped and I ended up buying one, carried it, loved it, got a second one for the collection and it's still one of my favorites today  :D.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 10:09:14 PM
Darn...
Skeletool at -50 sounds great...

Center Drive is still at -30%... I'm biting when they go -50%.
I'll buy another if they go -70%.

They're taking their time though...
And the one in Hasselt went from 3 to 1 with the 30% markdown... someone thought that was a good deal I guess :dunno:

fi Offline temo

Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 01:03:37 AM
I have to say flat phillips in squirt and micra. I have used many many times to many many phillips screws. I like good 3d phillips in larger tools. So it has been surprise how well flat phillips have worked. Though used keychains only for smaller tasks. But for those it has been great. And with me when needed. One of the reasons squirt or micra has been in keychain for years. Tried others but always swapped back to these two (well other tools used as well like nail file scissors etc).

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 01:23:52 AM
Darn...
Skeletool at -50 sounds great...

Center Drive is still at -30%... I'm biting when they go -50%.
I'll buy another if they go -70%.

They're taking their time though...
And the one in Hasselt went from 3 to 1 with the 30% markdown... someone thought that was a good deal I guess :dunno:

Yep, I've also been keeping an eye out for the Center Drive. 

And just like you, I'll bite when it goes to -50% discount, and if they go to - 70%, well ... You know me and back-ups right  ::).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 03:11:44 PM
In retrospect I'm not sure I should have sold my Skeletool and moved to a Charge AL. Not that I don't use it but....

It took me a long while to bond with my Skeletool.  I bought my first new and sold it off.  I got another and it sat and sat waiting.  Not sure what clicked but I'm glad to have it.  I wont give up my Charge for it for work but for darn near every other scenario its a fabulous tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 06, 2019, 06:57:35 PM
I have to say flat phillips in squirt and micra. I have used many many times to many many phillips screws. I like good 3d phillips in larger tools. So it has been surprise how well flat phillips have worked. Though used keychains only for smaller tasks. But for those it has been great. And with me when needed. One of the reasons squirt or micra has been in keychain for years. Tried others but always swapped back to these two (well other tools used as well like nail file scissors etc).

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

I was very surprised by just how much I liked the screwdrivers on the Micra especially. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: May 06, 2019, 07:09:14 PM
Funny thing is, I am trying to bond with the Mirca.  I have tried and tried.  I do keep one close at hand.  I seem to reach for my 58mm SAK or Wenger PTC when I need scissors.  I know its a great tool I just cannot commit to EDC one. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: May 07, 2019, 12:04:37 AM
Funny thing is, I am trying to bond with the Mirca.  I have tried and tried.  I do keep one close at hand.  I seem to reach for my 58mm SAK or Wenger PTC when I need scissors.  I know its a great tool I just cannot commit to EDC one.

Have you used the screwdrivers as handle extenders for the scissors?  Unfold the Phillips and the flat and it adds a heck of a lot of control and comfort IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 03:31:08 AM
Have you used the screwdrivers as handle extenders for the scissors?  Unfold the Phillips and the flat and it adds a heck of a lot of control and comfort IMO.

I've done that. :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 06:07:51 AM
Nice tip  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:49 AM
1)  When swisstool first came out, I didn't think much of it since I had always been a LM fan from the beginning and it didn't have OHO.  Fast forward many years, I found MTO and it really did motivate me to take a closer look at the tool, and Spirit was a love at the first sight--the buttery smooth, precious swiss movement...oh...it had me at the first click.  :facepalm:

You know there's a saying that everyone on MTO are enablers....now I am a believer.   :D 

2)  I had carried and rotated between a SAK farmer/spartan/huntsman/tinker for a while, and one day it dawned on me that being in an urban environment, the metal saw/file will have more use to me than a wood saw.  And I had been carrying a Mountaineer ever since. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:00 AM
While they're not multitools, Spyderco was the one that took me so long to try.  I used to think they were another overpriced hotrod of a modern knife.  Once I picked up the Pacific Salt my son had, I was impressed!  It had a feel all its own.  An Endura 4 found its way to me, and the rest is history!  It just goes to show you, you just never know.
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 06:45:44 AM
They make a good knife.  Lots of price ranges too. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 06:59:10 AM
While they're not multitools, Spyderco was the one that took me so long to try.  I used to think they were another overpriced hotrod of a modern knife.  Once I picked up the Pacific Salt my son had, I was impressed!  It had a feel all its own.  An Endura 4 found its way to me, and the rest is history!  It just goes to show you, you just never know.

:iagree:

Same story here, I remembered back in late 90s, friend of mine was raving about the Spyderco.  Back then, I didn't think much of it, and felt it is the Spydie hole is weird and there is not a straight line in the knife.  Fast forward 20+ years, I pick up a para2 and found the balance and locking mechanism is impressive, and it is even nice to fidget with.  Maybe I've grown wiser and look at the world differently, but I surely am happy to have gotten it.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 07:08:47 AM
Sometimes the best expectations, to be exceeded, are the ones you didn't have. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 02:40:08 PM
You and me both Comis! :tu:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #48 on: May 10, 2019, 02:40:52 PM
I agree Gman :D
Barry

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #49 on: May 10, 2019, 02:42:52 PM
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 03:27:34 PM
You and me both Comis! :tu:

:cheers:

Btw, looking forward to join you in the 30 days Traditional challenge!  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 03:42:05 PM

:iagree:

Same story here, I remembered back in late 90s, friend of mine was raving about the Spyderco.  Back then, I didn't think much of it, and felt it is the Spydie hole is weird and there is not a straight line in the knife.  Fast forward 20+ years, I pick up a para2 and found the balance and locking mechanism is impressive, and it is even nice to fidget with.  Maybe I've grown wiser and look at the world differently, but I surely am happy to have gotten it.

I still think that hole is weird  :facepalm: I just don’t like the looks of their knives. I also prefer slip joints and wooden scales and as far as i know they don’t offer anything like that.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 04:06:46 PM
 :tu: Outstanding!

:cheers:

Btw, looking forward to join you in the 30 days Traditional challenge!  :D
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 04:07:55 PM
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they did Sir V! 
I still think that hole is weird  :facepalm: I just don’t like the looks of their knives. I also prefer slip joints and wooden scales and as far as i know they don’t offer anything like that.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD