Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kilimanjaro Rappel I

ioti · 10 · 802

Offline ioti

Kilimanjaro Rappel I
on: May 01, 2019, 01:36:11 PM
Hello,

I was looking for a light multi tool thats easily pocketable in a big city. I have a sidekick, when clipped to my pocket its great, but can't always carry a clipped tool, it can be intimidating in some settings, in some places I cannot even carry a small SAK. I will be able to carry this mid sized tool only some days depending on where I plan to go that day  . So I bought a gerber dime, while my specimen was of great quality, it is so small that its borderline useless. So I started looking for something in the middle.

Where I live the average income is rather low, and buying these is a bit of a burden so I need to budget my stuff carefully. I looked at juice but thats quite expensive here (%50 more than my sidekick, makes no sense). And it lacks a locking blade. which is a must for me. Gerber Crucial is appealing, it is less expensive then juice here, abit more expensive then sidekick. Leap is similarly priced, but somehow its not very appealing.

Edit: Forgot to mention that rappel is half the price of the others

And there is Kilimanjaro Rappel I. What I get from numbers its size can be perfect for my purposes. But there is no review, not even a photo of someone holding it in his hand!! Most reviews are about rappel II and magnus. Nothing particularly bad about those quality wise. So I guess the quality of Rappel I would be ok. If anyone here has one, I would greatly appreciate even a single photo in hand, let alone a review. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:52:13 PM by ioti »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Kilimanjaro Rappel I
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:50:23 PM
The little information I could find indicates it is a decent tool for the money. That said, I can't personally vouch for it.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:39:12 PM
Hello,

I was looking for a light multi tool thats easily pocketable in a big city. I have a sidekick, when clipped to my pocket its great, but can't always carry a clipped tool, it can be intimidating in some settings, in some places I cannot even carry a small SAK. I will be able to carry this mid sized tool only some days depending on where I plan to go that day  . So I bought a gerber dime, while my specimen was of great quality, it is so small that its borderline useless. So I started looking for something in the middle.

Where I live the average income is rather low, and buying these is a bit of a burden so I need to budget my stuff carefully. I looked at juice but thats quite expensive here (%50 more than my sidekick, makes no sense). And it lacks a locking blade. which is a must for me. Gerber Crucial is appealing, it is less expensive then juice here, abit more expensive then sidekick. Leap is similarly priced, but somehow its not very appealing.

Edit: Forgot to mention that rappel is half the price of the others

And there is Kilimanjaro Rappel I. What I get from numbers its size can be perfect for my purposes. But there is no review, not even a photo of someone holding it in his hand!! Most reviews are about rappel II and magnus. Nothing particularly bad about those quality wise. So I guess the quality of Rappel I would be ok. If anyone here has one, I would greatly appreciate even a single photo in hand, let alone a review.
Looks like its number 3 in this top 5 video of Kilimanjaro tools: 

Offline ioti

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:23:19 PM
gerleatherberman yeah things seem to point in that direction.

BauerMobileToolSystems thanks. Those seem to be just photos from the website and no one is holding them in their hand or anything really

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:45:14 PM
Wait I have one. I think.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 05:29:16 PM
Here you go. With some other tools for size comparison. I dun really use it. The pliers are good enough for gripping stuffs, wire cutter is rather crappy. Blade is a nice little cutter with pretty good lock up. This tool is for light use of course. Depending on the price, I would say its quite buy-able..

I really do not like the reverse carabiner thing. Its difficult to unhook.

Alongside a Dime. Mine is a good one too.  :cheers:

Offline ioti

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 05:58:55 PM
Sam Lim you are the best, thanks mate

What I can say from the photos is that its the perfect size for my urban carry :) This was in 5th place in my to-buy list (a small boker pocketknife / SAK forrester / morakniv robust / SAK farmer / Rappel  some for urban some for camping) But I thought rappel was smaller. Seeing this I will probably move it a few ranks up.

I wish it had something more useful rather than a carabiner too. How would you compare this to your TrueUtility in terms of quality? I had bought two TU tools 10-15 years back and they were really bad qualtiy, so I am staying off from that brand.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 06:15:40 PM
Sam Lim you are the best, thanks mate

What I can say from the photos is that its the perfect size for my urban carry :) This was in 5th place in my to-buy list (a small boker pocketknife / SAK forrester / morakniv robust / SAK farmer / Rappel  some for urban some for camping) But I thought rappel was smaller. Seeing this I will probably move it a few ranks up.

I wish it had something more useful rather than a carabiner too. How would you compare this to your TrueUtility in terms of quality? I had bought two TU tools 10-15 years back and they were really bad qualtiy, so I am staying off from that brand.

Glad to be of help.  :salute: You said it.. They are bad, real bad.. Not worth buying. 2 more pics. The cutters are way better on the dime. The only advantage for the rappel I would say, is the oho blade. Pretty smooth operation and a very nice size.
IMG_20190502_232345-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20190502_232345-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 211.48 KB)
IMG_20190502_232355-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20190502_232355-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 190.7 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 06:30:33 PM
Thanks for the pics.  :like:
That looks like a nice size.
How about that Urban Gear one? It looks like the same design with different scales.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:07:10 PM
Thanks for the pics.  :like:
That looks like a nice size.
How about that Urban Gear one? It looks like the same design with different scales.

The Urban Gear model was bought from amazon. I bought it as a add-on for about $11 or so. Can't exactly remember. Without the promotion, that tool is expensive.. It's now $34 on Amazon. Crazy price to pay... Its basically the same as the rappel. The scales feels nice. But the blade is a partially serrated edge which I dun like, deploying it is rougher than the rappel. But, black always looks nicer.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%