Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I don't want to appreciate them when they are gone.

Aloha · 43 · 5273

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I had the day off a couple days ago.  I've been feeling like I needed to purge, again.  Inspired a bit by Aimlesswanderer recently going thru cull of his own I decided to have a look at what I had.  Now let me first say that I appreciate all that I have had thru my hands and feel super fortunate.  There comes a time I think when some of us no longer feel the drive to pursue.  A time when the sheer weight figuratively and actually is a bit much when looking at what we've amassed.  My collection hit its peak several years ago.  I was furiously on the auction sites as well as scouring the flea markets and trading to get the next missing piece.  I didn't have a direction so the next piece was simply one I didn't currently have  :whistle:

Side note, I admire those of you who have thoughtfully amassed collections.  Mine was/is a hodge podge of randomness albeit my aim was retired LMs.

Back to the scheduled programming.

As I looked thru my container where I keep my MTs my initial thought was  :facepalm:.  I spent a fair amount on this stuff,  STUFF  :rant:.  As I began to take item by item out and handle them........   :multi:.  Ok my tools aren't pristine or NIB specimens so handling them for me is a lot easier than some of you.  I began to reconnect with why I like this STUFF.  Some were gifts while others were long searched for.  Some were carried while others were not meant to carry, at least for me.

The Fuse is knife less.  I stumbled upon it thankfully.  I had seen them on MTO only so catching one in the wild was super exciting and fun. 

The NATO Swisstool does have some military history according to its previous owner.  I am super super stoked to have that in my collection.  It also came from someone who I consider a friend. 

The BO Rebar served time in the military as well and also came from who I consider a friend. 

My Charge collection is missing my TTi which is on my work tool belt.  I had an Xti but for some unknown reason sold it. 

My partner bought me one of my Flairs.  I kept missing out on auctions for the price I wanted to pay.  I got the second one battered and fugly.  It cleaned up nice and will remain in my collection.  I almost put it up for sale. 

The Kershaw A100 is one I thought I'd never get due to price.  All I can say is, right place right time. 

The blue Skeletool is one I won.  I am still waiting for the paperwork ( you know who you are ). 

I love my Juice collection.  I chased some of these and was given one.  I'm currently using a S2 and CS4. 

My Radio Shack Squirt was had to come by.  I just happened to see it at the flea market and it was love at first sight.  How about that pinkish S4?!! 

My TT Pocket tool skulls I got in 2013.  Don't think the guy is active anymore  :dunno:

The Wenger Swiss Grip and SOG Toolclip are as cool as they get right?

The Gerber with sticker is one of the only NIB ( box is in bad shape ) I have.  Its got the big scissor.  I thought it was the 1st production run but nope.  I was and am super stoked anyway. 

My 2 Wenger Pocket Grips have been a pride of my collection since getting them.  They are with sheaths and complete.

My REI Signal.  I have had so many Signals come thru my hands.  I moved all on but this.  Kinda wished I would have kept one of the originals. 

Many of you know I am a Huge Wave Fan.  I had to have an OG Wave ( with OG Sheath ) and my 25th Anniversary Wave on deck. 

GOLD REBAR.  Yup.  I bought that for myself as a Bday gift.  I did carry it and use it a bit.  Reminds me of how nice it is it treat yourself every once and a while. 

I didn't mention all the tools nor show every tool in my collection.  Some are in kits and some weren't in reach. 

Whats my point?  Do I ever have one  :rofl:.  Well what I'm trying to say is enjoy your collections.  Sure I can see this as a massive waste of money.  I can see some as an investment ( or not ).  I choose to see them as fun.  I'd miss them as I miss some of the tools I sold off.  I got many at awesome prices and yes I paid up for some.  I got some by trading and as I said a few were gifts.  The price paid is all relative, so for me I'm ok with what I paid for each tool individually.  A meal out that you'll spent money on or a MT?  Another beverage at the pub ( I dont drink ) or a SAK?  A few hours overtime to get the next tool?  I've picked up crap jobs to buy a tool.  I've traded.  The change in my pocket over time adds up.  These are just some ways I afford my tools.   

All and all if your collection feels like a burden maybe take some time, seriously and have a look at your tools. Remember how excited you were when you located them?  I choose to appreciate these now.  I choose to look at each one and admire each for what it is.  I don't look at the money spent, its spent.  I do understand however if you're just over it.  For now I like my tools.  For now they are no burden nor regrets.  I hope you can feel the same if your tools have begun to feel like burdens.           

IMG_7094.jpg
* IMG_7094.jpg (Filesize: 214.67 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: I don't want to appreciate them when they are gone.
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:27:36 PM
That's a fantastic collection, and you should be proud of it. I would. :salute:
I am still attached to my humble collection. It is not as easy to build a collection with rare or even semi-rare items here, since barely anyone sells them locally, at a reasonable price at least, and I have had stuff go missing on their way to me.
Still, even the items I bought and turned out to be smurf, I feel kind of attached to, and even they get some attention every now and then.

I am still missing tons of stuff, Pulse, Crunch, old Juice S2, Squirt E4, A100, OG Wave, Mr Pinchy, SwissGrip, Super Bear Jaws, SwissTool. Just to name a few. But every now and then, I get to check another one off my list, and it feels nice. :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 05:32:49 PM
It's fun to rotate.

Somedays I want the Charge, some days the Skeletool fits me better, others it's the Spirit.

Could I get by with just a Spirit?  Probably, but I like my Juice in certain situations.  :dunno:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 05:37:17 PM
The PST is a hollow rivet one.  I never thought I'd find one locally.  Its the pride of my PSTs.  I have a few JPSTs that were very important to my collection till I happened upon that Pocket Survial Tool  :D.  There are tools that were never meant for my to use.  I am merely a caretaker as such.  Then there are tools that were meant to at least try.  I am glad I chose to try the Juice S2 and CS4 as they both are nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:49:00 PM
Thank you Reamer.  I was active and impatient to gather the tools I wanted early on.  Over time I hit the wall as they say in collecting.  I then chilled and it became fun again as I seemed to stumble upon tools like the A100 and Leep for example.   There was no urgency for me anymore.  The chase can be as fun as the getting.  In my current state the patience is as fun.  Weeks and weeks go by with not as much as a sighting of tools at the fleamarket,  then WHAM, Radio Shack Squirt.  I've passed on a lot too.  There have been tools I wanted but I have an upper threshold on price I am willing to pay.  Thats also part of the fun for me now. 

Recently I picked up a Flexcut Carving tool.  I had seen Dave Canterbury demonstrate one and I wanted one.  They are spendy and I am no carver so paying the priced asked online is beyond my threshold.  As luck would have it I stumbled upon a vender at the fleamarket who had one.  He thought it was a gimmick tool as I opened excitedly.   I was very surprised to see it at the fleamarket.  I wasn't sure it was a real one.  When I asked how much he told me a price that had me shocked. 

Obviously I bought it and am enjoying the limited use from it.  I almost listed it on fleabay to make a healthy profit BUT when would I get the chance to own one again? 

IMG_7098.jpg
* IMG_7098.jpg (Filesize: 227.88 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:31:39 PM
Good thread - and title!  :tu:

My cull was long overdue. I never wanted a collection anyway. I just wanted to find the best tools for me, and accumulated far quicker than I offloaded. That said, the title and thread do resonate with me, as the reason I was always slow to offload, was that I knew many items would be hard to source again, should I ever get second thoughts. There were a few I bought again, only to reach the same conclusions that I reached the first time, Juice CS4 and XE6, Rebar, MiniGrip, and PST II. There were many more I lulled over for a long time before parting with them, just to be sure that I wouldn't regret it.

I still own way more than I need, even way more than I would need if my life was still active, but what's left is harder to part with. The items that are still here, are either mods that I'm proud of, or ones that just feel right for whatever reason. It took a long time to decide to part with the Charge AL and 25th Anniversary Wave. Also the Rangergrip 90. They were great tools, but ones that I knew I'd never be reaching for very often. There were several others that went fairly recently, where I knew I was just owning them for the sake of it, rather than getting any enjoyment out of use.

I think it's very important to follow your own path, and with a community such as this, it's easy to get swept along on the excitement of others. What I'm left with is things that work for me. They may not be everyone's choice, but for whatever reason, I connect with them. There's many tools I've offloaded that others would clamour over, while keeping ones that others sneer upon, such as the Balance and knifeless Octane. I know what works for me now, and that I'll always be able to achieve what I want with the tools at hand. I may offload more as time goes by, but only if I know that my time for them is done for good.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 08:01:09 PM
While I was never going to use the Charge Xti selling it was a mistake.  I know I cannot replace it for what I paid.  A few tools come to mind.  I don't rush to off load either.  I sent tools to homes that I hope are enjoying their time there. 

I am mostly a user.  I like what I like but I am always open to try new things.  I believe I have the tools that work best for me and what I use them for.  I also really like dedicating a tool to a kit.  I used to move tools from my user situation to my hike kit when I was going out.  No more are the days of that.  It never made sense then so I dedicated a tool for my hike kit and other kits.  I have enough so its not a big deal and just makes sense.   

I am a collector still.  I enjoy tools simply as objects.  The ones I've pictured are ones I really enjoy having.  They need no purpose other that the purpose of my enjoyment.  I think there are about 50 or so tools in that picture.  I have a few more I didn't photograph.  This doest include tools that I use or will use.  The tools in the picture wont be used by me however many if not all were used as thats how I typically get them.  The collector in my now isn't actively searching.  I am not pursing a tool.  If I happen upon one that strikes my fancy at the price range I am happy with, so be it.  There are tools I want however.  I just am not actively after them. 

I am curious.  I like to try a tool if the tool strikes me as something I could use at work or play.  I did a few mods but I am no modder.  The curious side of me keeps tools around even if they don't make the collecting container.  I'll sit a tool on my night stand and if the mood strikes I'll carry it.  My Case Large Sod Buster is a good example.  I carried it straight away then put it on my night stand.  I grab it from time to time.  It wont go into my collection container nor will I sell it off.  It purpose comes and goes.  I like it well enough to not need it to serve a dedicated role yet the times I reach for it I am happy I did. 

I just like tools.  What can I say?  I like having a few tools at my disposal.  I have my dedicated tools and my sometime tools and then theres the others.  Those others are tools are just fun items.  Items like my Flexcut.  Things like my Case Sod Buster Jr.  Items like my LM Style CS. 

I don't get to wrapped up with having lots of items.  While I certainly have a lot I am still having fun and when I do buy tools like recently a ST200 or OHT or Wave or Flair I can choose to resell and make a bit of a profit all the while affording my hobby. 

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:20 PM
In many circles it seems to be a bad thing to collect, yes, even care too much about something which isn't sports, fashion, or the latest show. Of course, as with everything else, it can be pathological. But, as long as it does not affect one's life adversely, I think enjoying industrial design and ingenuity is time far better spent than just slowly drifting along the main stream without ever making active choices about what you enjoy and why you do so.

Lovely collection there!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 06:09:04 AM
Thank you.  I do enjoy the design aspects.  I can appreciate the engineering that took place and the manufacturing.  I see some with such passions for sports and its great.  Others passions are this or that.   I'm level headed in my passion for tools.   I am no less enthusisatic about them however.  Things don't come before people.  I have limits and they extend to this hobby.  Its all good fun which is what I was mostly trying to convey.  Keep it fun.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 07:01:18 AM
Great post, Aloha! Nice collection as well.  :like:

Aside from my occasional complaining about storage, I appreciate a majority of the MT-babies in my assortment.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 07:42:22 AM
They need no purpose other that the purpose of my enjoyment. 

This sums it up perfectly. :salute:

Nobody can tell you what you should or should not buy. You do not have to justify your happiness to anyone.
My collection makes me smile, and that is all the reason I need to keep it, admire it, grow it, and share it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 10:22:14 AM
Nobody can tell you what you should or should not buy. You do not have to justify your happiness to anyone.

:iagree:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 04:00:23 PM

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Captain Sabretache

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 03:34:22 PM
Is that an american camper i can see in the bottom left corner of your collection? I have rather a soft spot for those. Yes they are no leatherman, but they certainly are reliable
In a world of S**t the man with the peg on his nose is King.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.
Benson: Oh, you say such nice things, Master.
Evil: Yes I know, I'm sorry!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 06:05:15 PM
Aloha,

Great thread and thoughts!  I will try to put my thoughts on this below and I hope I stay on track!  lol

First of all I love the sak's and mt's and have had fairly big collections by my standards but not even close to some collections we have seen posted.  With sak's I try to have a few here, mainly with the mag lens as I use that from time to time but awhile ago I realized that I didn't need five of each model so I down size that.  Some of it was because I wanted to put back some money in my pocket and some were because I just didn't need that many around here.  The same goes with mt's, I like to have a few here but again at one point I had probably about 10 or so here and realized again I didn't need that many so I sold a few off and yeah with both sak's and mt's there are some I wish I didn't sell cause they were rarer, discontinued or harder to find ones but I am over that now!  I think!

That said I do find myself browsing the "bay looking for hard to find ones or just deals even though I don't need them!  I do end up buying some that I find for a cheap price but most of the time I end up packaging them in a small "lot" and resell cause I really don't need them.

So as of right now I think my small collection is set and try to refrain from buying anymore!  My modest collection consists of the following items.  Sorry no pic at this time!

2x Explorer's (my main EDC).
2x Champ Plus's. ( one NIB and one that is my once is awhile EDC)
2x Charge Plus BO. (one NIB and one to use. to have if hiking/biking etc. I never EDC)
1x Wingman (just cause it is oho blade)
1x Climber (bought in great shape for $5)
2x Rambler's (one on key now and one in an end table)
1.x Outrider (this I got to swap out with EDC when hiking/biking etc cause of a bigger and locking blade)

From a collector's stand point to me anyway I also have a NIB dual SOS pouch and a NIB single SOS pouch, both with all the accessories!  I just have these cause I think they are cool and someday gonna be harder to find.  You did notice that I don't have any Swisschamp listed and that is because I no longer own any, just decided to go with the Champ Plus's instead! 

The top three on the list that I have two of is that one is for use and the other is a back up!

Like I mentioned, I do browse alot but try not to pull the trigger on anything but lately I have found myself searching for something smaller size wise and carry wise to use instead of the Explorer so that is part of the reason for the climber listed but now I find myself looking for something like the Pioneer or even the Pioneer X since I have my T&T on the Rambler that is always with me!  Oh the dilemma!

Sorry for the rambling and hope this post makes some sense!  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 06:47:10 PM
 :like:

I still enjoy the hobby as much as ever.  I enjoy trying different tools and picking up tools I havent tried yet.  My staple items seem to be stable.  The Wenger Pocket Tool Chest is the newest item that has found a purpose more or less.  My Swisschamp is used from time to time.  It was a go to for a while.  The items I have that were purely bought or otherwise obtained for collecting ( hobby ) were the things I sometimes struggle with.  I looked at that container and thought I should purge.  I've done it before however I've lamented afterwards.  I enjoy having a "play" every now and again.  Each tool as I mentioned reminded me of the excitement when I got it.  My much smaller collection is no burden at all.  My users can be  :rofl:.  I just want to use them all at the same time and carry them all.     
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 12:24:10 PM
That first read was a bit painful for me to read. Mind you, I have certain rules about my collection that eliminates such thoughts of purging. Although I have not added any more multi-tools as I used to, I will still grab the odd one or two if I come across them locally. I no longer hunt them on eBay (I have sworn off using either eBay or PayPal these days). I find those on tap on Amazon.ca are super expensive these days. I don't see the need to spend  big $$$ to keep up the collection. I have also tended off of Leatherman ever since they sort of ignored me as being a meaningless Canadian...that time when they didn't want to sell to me direct, or be so kind as to even give me a response...such actions have given me a new  insight about Leatherman in general. hence I no longer hunt them all down. They don't seem to care about the Canadian market, and thus very few local stores will carry anything other than a REV these days.

With all of that said, I am still quite happy with my collection, and would never ever think of purging anything...and that includes selling anything.

As for this psychological illness that invariably crops up whenever anyone talks about collectors...I have some very strong opinions on that...but shall keep my peace.  :hatsoff:

As for American Camper. I still have my two bought back in the early 90s to be used by my dad and I on the 3D archery range. You can say I also have a soft spot for them. I would say they are just as good and durable as a Leatherman PST of the time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:30:52 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 01:59:05 AM
I enjoy this topic and reading the views of the members here.

Every once in a while when I look at subsets of my collection I think to myself, would I rather have a fist full of cash or these multi-tools?  My answer is always the multi-tools.
I enjoy finding ones that I don't have and I really enjoy finding them in their original boxes.

At times I stop collecting.  I take a year or two off and then I start again.  Not sure why that happens, it just does.

I don't understand the psychology of collecting, but I do know that after my brother passed (may he rest in peace), I did purchase a few more than I normally do.  I even tried to buy one SAK each day this past February.  I bought 27 instead of 28 because I fell asleep one night before buying something. 

Every once in a while I think I'm going to take a break from collecting and that time may come soon.  I am in the process of organizing them and perhaps selling off some duplicates.  But I'm not sure how the selling will go, I had a few up on eBay and took the ad down because I just can't do it......yet.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 05:30:31 AM
Every once in a while I think I'm going to take a break from collecting and that time may come soon.  I am in the process of organizing them and perhaps selling off some duplicates.  But I'm not sure how the selling will go, I had a few up on eBay and took the ad down because I just can't do it......yet.

When you are ready to sell you will be able to, and until then just enjoy what you have  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 02:02:23 PM
I've had some time to think about this topic and where I might sit on the collecting spectrum.

I guess the first part for me is monetary. I have limited excess money since having my right biceps tendon removed and partially rupturing the left Achilles tendon. But, ten rules have made for a highly diverse collection that is only focused to a certain subjectively reasonable extent(ex. Mr. Pinchy tools I have several variations of).
First personal rule is to never intentionally acquire more than one example of a tool if I do not intend on using it. And if I intend or wish to use a tool, then a second identical example is allowable. Of course opportunities arise where impassable deals are presented, but that is just how collecting goes sometimes. I usually buy excess tools with other members in mind and usually pass it on at cost or give the tool away.

Second personal rule is only seek out tools that actually interest me. I try not to go after anything and everything just for the sake of it. If you can afford to do that, and it makes you happy, then hats off to you.

Third personal rule is to never think of the collection as an investment. Collecting MTs can be an investment if done very carefully, but trying to make a profit buying & selling MTs is very unpredictable at best.

Fourth personal rule is to stop or slow down when it interferes with my well-being or financial stability.

Fifth personal rule is to keep it fun. I never let myself get into bidding wars or get caught up in the whirly wind of desire by spending more than what the market calls for(or what I can afford at the time). And if a tool, that I really want, exceeds $150(not counting shipping and taxes), I do not buy it. Boundaries can be an important tool in collecting anything.

Sixth personal rule is to not let it become competitive. Buying stuff for the reason of having more than others is ludicrous, because it inevitably negatively affects well-being and happiness.

Seventh personal rule is to attempt, to the best of my abilities, share information, insights, photos and comparisons to hopefully assist others who ask or could be possibly curious(ex. The numerous comparison threads I have created). Sharing makes collecting fun, because ya never know what kind of cool stuff others might have or know about. I have learned a lot of stuff from members here and have enjoyed seeking tools out to see what motivates certain opinions.

Eighth personal rule is to be mindful of other's situations and give back to the community when I don't feel I need something for the collection or user box.

Ninth personal rule is never frown on other's likes and dislikes. Disagreements are healthy, but disregarding people's opinions, because they don't align with mine, is unhealthy(can't learn anything if you only hang out with people who already think the same way you do).

Tenth and final personal rule is more general than just MT collecting. It is to try and remember every kind thing others have done to help and/or assist me in my journey through the MT world.

Yes, there are some redundancies and possible contradictions(in certain possible ways to interpret these), but as mentioned before, these are only my personal rules, and I'd be foolish to expect anyone else to think the same way. Everyone has their own mechanisms to navigate the world(and in this case it is the MT collecting world), so I always try to wonder if maybe I'm the one that is wrong.

TL;DR:
Blah blah blah blah. That gerleatherthingie is rambling again about incoherent nonsense.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:19:27 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 02:13:22 PM
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 03:23:50 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 03:45:59 PM
I stop enjoying my collection when I haven't seen it in a while.  I don't have them displayed and as a result I don't take time to handle them.  I think keeping them locked away out of sight has me feeling the way I do sometimes.  The moment I go thru them however  :multi: I'm glad I did.

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 05:47:56 PM
:cheers:

:cheers:

I stop enjoying my collection when I haven't seen it in a while.  I don't have them displayed and as a result I don't take time to handle them.  I think keeping them locked away out of sight has me feeling the way I do sometimes.  The moment I go thru them however  :multi: I'm glad I did.

I have a drawer in the bathroom I get dressed for work/the day in. It is full of MTs, so when I am not participating in a challenge, I get to pick through them everyday and pick whatever looks good for the day. It has helped keep the appreciation for the tools alive day-to-day.

Only downside is the humidity from the shower wreaks havoc if I forgetto oil them up and haven't used some in a while. :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 09:20:56 PM
I just placed an order for a few sharps yesterday, my first tool related purchase in quite a long time. While these items are sort of replacements for things I got rid of years ago, they're more to do with change in circumstances, than regretting selling something I shouldn't.

A Deluxe Tinker is one of the items, and a replacement of the second ever Swiss knife I bought. The first was traded away, as the pliers were of little value to me at the time, but now would be sufficient for most days. Today, it should easily serve as a lightweight one-piece carry set up, as I don't have the daily need of full sized pliers that I used to.

The order is rounded off with three cheap slippies. One of them being a simple two blade Sheffield penknife, another echo of my past. My first ever knife was a similar sized little penknife with celuloid scales, that used to belong to my Grandfather, but that knife is now long since lost. I do have a couple of other two blade penknives, but not ones I'd use as daily beater knives, which is why I got this. The other two knives are a couple more two blade slippies, but by Rough Rider. One is a canoe, which is a pattern I've been without for many years, and the other is a Baby Copperhead, which seems to be a hybrid design I haven't tried before.

So why am I sharing that in this thread?

It's because selling off so much of the excess, gave me the clarity to see what I genuinely wanted. These four knives aren't just a purchase for purchasing's sake, or just because they looked nice. They were items that I can see a relevant need for, which I probably wouldn't have seen were I still as snowed under in the gross abundance of tools I had before. I'm still a very long way from having any kind of shortage of sharp stuff, but had gotten to the point of becoming uncomfortable with parting with more. Should these latest purchases be as aligned with my needs as I expect, it may become easier to part with some of the remaining excess.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 05:26:40 PM
Back to this thread after AW culled and after his epiphany.  Well done sir.  I am glad you are enjoying the tools you kept and the ones that will serve at some point in time.  I'm back after posting in my thread of perceived need. 

Its a wonderful journey.  I had time yesterday to snap a picture of my desk and nightstand tools.  I also had a look thru my fixed blades which was fun.  I've been very fortunate and lucky.  I've made some good trade here on MTO and I've been lucky to chance upon some neat tools at the fleamarket.  I don't consider the tools I've sought out and bought online.  That was "easy" by comparison.  Those tools are probably the ones that had me feeling the need to post this topic in the first place, upon reflection.   

I also don't talk to much about lights as most were bought new online with the exception of my LD02s.  The reason I came back is as stated above.  Because I am not actively searching for the next specific tool its been very enjoyable to happen upon awesome ones.  My Old Timer 165 is a great example.  I would also have to say my Helle Viking and Classic Moras also fall into that spectrum.  My Wenger PTC was one AW touted and I wanted to try.  I happened upon one even tho I could very well have bought one online.  Its that chance encounter thats kept this hobby fun. 

I have to admit, its the prices I pay too.  I dislike saying that for some reason.  I didn't know I "NEEDED" a PAL36 fixed blade  :rofl:.  When I was at a stall one day and picked it up I honestly didn't even know what it was.  The guy gave me a price and I had to buy it.  Upon learning more about it I was even more stoked.  My FlexCut Jack, Kershaw A100, Benchmade Nimravus, Becker BK2, and so on have been lucky finds.  Some of these I had wanted but never sought out to buy which made happening upon them all the more satisfying.

Whats happened is the lack of use of these great tools.  The abundance of wonderful tools with no purpose and yes to a degree, the money spent, even tho I can recoup all money spent for the most part.  What I failed to remember is the journey.  The fun I am having and the excitement of happening upon such tools.  Its this community, and the fleamarket community, that I forget is a big part of what collecting and buying tools has also brought into my life. 

I forgot that part of the enjoyment are the topics on MTO and sharing pictures of my tools and pics of YOUR tools.  Its the trading when both sides are stoked.  Its the buying when members post killer deals.  Call whatever you do, whatever you want.  I'm a curator  :whistle:.  I do have tools that are not meant to be used because they were not obtained for that reason.  I am totally good with that. 

There are many facets to each of our reasons for having so many items.  I am enjoying my tools.  I enjoy the ones that sit, the ones that are used, and the ones yet to have a purpose or lost their purpose.  Yes sometimes I shake my head a little at what I've amassed.  The funny thing is, I would have never met YOU. 

It was all worth it, it is worth that alone.                   

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 06:05:19 PM
It is very easy to get caught in the eddys and current of other people's needs and desires, and lose track of your own. You've taken the time to step back and see if you are where you want to be. That's healthy and wise. The fact that you are indeed comfortable with where you are on the journey, is one heck of a bonus. I had a lot of recalibrating to do to restore my own pocket tool equilibrium.

So long as you're enjoying it (and if you're not, you understand why, and how to fix it) all is well. Congratulations!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 06:20:28 PM
 :salute:

I am enjoying where I am. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 06:33:50 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #29 on: May 20, 2020, 11:49:26 PM
Sometimes there are things I wish I wouldn't have sold. :dd: For me it was my Blue Gameboy SP when I was 12. I sold it for $10 when our family had a garage sale in 2010 and now I see them going for $120 on Ebay!! :rant:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD