Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket tool - comfortable weight?

Vidar · 10 · 4337

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Pocket tool - comfortable weight?
on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:03 PM
Multi-tool designs have all kinds of priorities and balances to made, and I find it interesting to see what choices different manufacturers make in that regard.

One thing stands out to me: I find Victorinox most impressive at weight minimalization. The tools and their SAKs are very weight effective and still leaves enough material to actually work. Sure, some could be tougher or more robust, but they do work and they do at a very low weight. Which again means they can put many tools in a SAK and still maintain a comfortable pocket weight.

Which brings me to the dilemma of where to strike the weight/ robust balance. Even more so as I also include a plier head. A plier head takes a big bite of the weight budget all by itself, in particular if it is to be decent sized plier head. For me a Leatherman Juice head is about the smallest still overall useable plier head, and I'm currently at a bit over that. But then at the cost of weight and volume of course.

I guess my question really is what you all consider to be a comfortable weight for a pocket tool? (Personally I start having seconds thoughts once it passes about 150-200 grams - then it is just too noticable).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Pocket tool - comfortable weight?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:40 PM
Good question - and not easy for me to answer.

It depends on the form factor. A Wave, Spirit, Diesel, or MP600 feels right if I need a fully loaded tool, but more than I want to carry everyday now my life is less active. While an XE6 might not weigh as much as all of those, it felt too heavy and bulky for its form. A Crunch to me feels like a chunky lump of not a lot, which is one of the reasons I didn't get one. Even a Minitool seemed too heavy for what it offered, but the slightly heavier Sideclip feels light.

Likewise, with a Swiss knife, a CT41 is too heavy for regular carry, even though I'd happily carry the same weight in a different format. A CT34 is pushing it a bit for me, and a Ranger would be my usual cut off point. For non-specific urban carry, I'm quite happy with a MP400 or Balance, most days, but the Sideclip might be called into action for a lighter feel carry.

I don't know if any of that is helpful...  :think: :dunno:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:22:32 PM
I don't know if any of that is helpful...  :think: :dunno:

It does help. :cheers: So along the lines of that the shape and tool density need to defend the weight, and try to not carry more than expected use calls for? That makes sense. Gerber MP400 is about 190 grams or so, while a sideclip should be about 140 - so around the same range I personally consider the limit.

This is a pocket tool, so sizewise in the 90s SAK/ Juice category. But tool density is high so not that much air in it - hence quite a few weight considerations.

Edit: I don't want to assume my personal preference is universal, so the more replies the better :)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:27:33 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

fi Offline temo

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 12:54:37 AM
Size does matter like told in godzilla trailer. For normal wear skeletool, freestyle, pioneer, rebar etc close to 100gram (up to 200, mostly closer to 100). Outdoors ST300 is fine. Shopping micra etc keychain Ok (can use in public). So I don't have single size that I prefer. Sometimes heavy, sometimes light. And depends do I wear jeans, shorts, jogging outfit and so on. Well ST300 I usually carry in jacket pocket when outdoors.

Again when know there can be some tasks, I carry plus set (tool plus bits and so on). So about extra 100 gram upon tool. Example when visiting mother-in-law, often some tasks and no tools. So I don't always carry heavier tools.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 04:58:38 AM
I think the ETTO principle applies here.  For me, minimal size & weight is obviously the most important factor.  I have lots (and lots !) of MTs to choose from, but the only EDC I have carried for many years now is an LM Squirt P4.  It is so small and light I hardly notice it is there, but if I need a small blade or light duty pliers it is right there. 

I do have a selection of larger MTs that are usually fairly close (home or vehicles) so if a task is a bit tougher than I am comfortable using the little P4 on, I have other options handy.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:30 PM
Pants is really the determining factor. Around the house, in my sweatpants or lightweight cotton shorts, I can't go above four ounces.  Yet, in my jeans and work pants, I can have a Buck 110 in my front left pocket, and a ST300 in my back; or a Surge clipped to my right and have no issue. Clips really help distribute the weight, as opposed to a lump sitting in your pocket. To tell the truth, I couldn't carry a SwissChamp, CT34, or Champion (my three fattest and heaviest 91mms) in a pocket if it weren't for the suspension clip I made out of the clip from a cheap pocket watch.  My first Gerber was the MP450; and I can carry that in anything. And it's tough enough to take jobs more intended for heavier tools.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 05:35:14 PM
Different pants has different limits is a good point. Or jackets for that matter.

A clip would make sense. Another part and assembly to add though... I might give one a shot and see if it works out ok.

The tool is SAK sized, but as it adds a fair sized plier head the weight is necessarily higher. There is no way around that as SAKs are quite lean to start off with. Not really too happy about that, but I guess you can't have cherry on the cake and eat it too. So another balancing act there then.

I think the ETTO principle applies here.

I had to look that one up, but yes, sounds similar. :)

Size does matter like told in godzilla trailer.

I knew I had heard it before somewhere!  :D

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 05:49:14 PM
I had not given it much thought but in the winter when I have more clothes and more pockets I am able to carry more with more and still be more comfortable if I carry less in warmer weather  :salute: a clip is also part of my consideration with weight :salute: if it has a clip I am able to carry a tool more easily no matter if it is heavy as long as there is a clip option :tu:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:01:42 PM by Poncho65 »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 10:39:55 AM
It also depends on the form factor of the user. I imagine a 45kg dancer would have different preferences to a 120 kg strong man competitor...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 11:11:37 AM
..in the winter when I have more clothes and more pockets I am able to carry more..

It also depends on the form factor of the user. I imagine a 45kg dancer would have different preferences to a 120 kg strong man competitor...  :D

Seasons and body shapes too? This is getting complicated fast! :facepalm:

Fair points I assume. Oh well, this will be full size for some, key chain sized for others, and all season hopefully. :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%