Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help finding a axe and hatchet

us Offline Awesom-0

Help finding a axe and hatchet
on: May 06, 2019, 12:36:13 AM
My old axe I abused for the past 20 years growing up has about had it. Not much metal left even though it's double sided and the handle is split down the middle. I would of just made a handle for it but like I said not much left of the head and it never held a edge very well. Especially when you try to cut down a blackjack which is when I split the handle as well. Probably would of had better luck cutting a engine block in half  :D

Also looking for a nice hatchet for camping and normal stuff on the land. I'm more likely to spend more on this to last a lifetime compared to the axe.

Both of them I would prefer a head that can split lumber and be able to smack with a log or hammer/sledge to finish the splitting. I won't be using it to fell trees unless I have to. I have two chainsaws for that.

For the hatchet the Tops Knives Hammer Hawk 14.5"  is about the closest I've found to what I want. Not perfect so that's why I am asking. Wouldn't mind a larger back side of the head to hammer on if needed. I like the all metal design on it curious about how well it holds up and the edge it can keep. I've seen the other $400 plus other options and no way I'm spending that much on a chunk of metal.

For the regular axe I dunno. I just used whatever was available until I killed it.  :dunno:

Ty for the advice.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: Help finding a axe and hatchet
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:56:29 AM
Have you considered Fiskars or Husqvarna axes with composite handles? They are geared more towards splitting, but could chop a bit if needed. Husky A2400 probably a bit more all rounder, Fiskars have done away with their chopping axes and concentrate more on splitting models now. (Not sure if chopping variants still available as Gerber brand?).
Not a good idea to hammer on an axe poll with a sledge as it can mushroom it, deform the eye if it has one (composite handle axes have a wrap around handle) or if it has a hardened poll for hammering then you can fracture off metal chunks that can embed themselves in skin or eyes. If you want to wail on wedges go for plastic or aluminium wedges so you don't smurf your other tools, safe for chainsaw use too.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 05:32:04 AM
Check out Council Tool. http://counciltool.com/axes-hatchets-mauls-wedges/

I have a Velvicut that I like.

And it's hard to beat Granfors-Bruk, when it comes to axes. https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

I agree with Tazzie that it's not a good idea to hit an axe with a hammer. The eye can deform and cause issues.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 01:30:54 PM
Yeah I agree with the others, wouldn't hit an axe with anything metal, a wooden maul maybe.

This review made me think a lot more about what to look for in a hatchet:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:47:34 PM
I've been on and on and on about Rinaldi axes recently... No need to buck the trend.  :whistle:

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/rinaldi.html

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 02:49:18 PM
Ty all. Now I've got some reading to with my morning coffee.  :cheers:

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 03:12:13 PM
Have you considered Fiskars or Husqvarna axes with composite handles? They are geared more towards splitting, but could chop a bit if needed. Husky A2400 probably a bit more all rounder, Fiskars have done away with their chopping axes and concentrate more on splitting models now. (Not sure if chopping variants still available as Gerber brand?).
Not a good idea to hammer on an axe poll with a sledge as it can mushroom it, deform the eye if it has one (composite handle axes have a wrap around handle) or if it has a hardened poll for hammering then you can fracture off metal chunks that can embed themselves in skin or eyes. If you want to wail on wedges go for plastic or aluminium wedges so you don't smurf your other tools, safe for chainsaw use too.

Yeah, like a chisel I grind down the edges as it mushrooms. Creates a lot of wear but you are right, I need to get some more wedges for larger stuff. I cut some wood like osage orange to make things and read it's better to split it down the middle for drying instead of sawing. At least for bow making which I have not tried yet but everyone keeps asking for one. Hardest part is finding something straight enough for that  :D

Most of the other wood I use for a smoker, wood burning stove, and fireplace. Been testing blackjack for handles and don't know if I like it. Have hickory as well but have not dried any for projects.

Used to be a mechanic and understand I do need to use tools properly. Never realized people didn't use a short handled 5 pound sledge on something like a maul. It's what I've always seen others do hah. That's kind of why I wanted something lighter than a maul I could still whack with a hammer when it gets stuck instead of getting out a wedge.

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 03:33:02 PM
Yeah I agree with the others, wouldn't hit an axe with anything metal, a wooden maul maybe.

This review made me think a lot more about what to look for in a hatchet:

Interesting video. And definitely agree about a longer handle on a hatchet. I'm 6'3" and wanted something in between on lengths. I considered one of eastwing's for the price and all metal design. That is until I got a new 22 Oz hammer from them and cracked the head in two places on a finishing nail.  :rant: Probably just a bad one out of hundreds or thousands but still made me question their steel.

Also been wondering if the all steel construction would transfer a lot of shock back to me. Elbow hurts just thinking about it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 05:56:36 PM
I quite liked the Fiskars splitting axes for splitting firewood.  These days I use a kinetic log splitter with an electric motor - much easier on my back (and less frequent visits to my Chiropracter).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 06:29:56 PM
I quite liked the Fiskars splitting axes for splitting firewood.  These days I use a kinetic log splitter with an electric motor - much easier on my back (and less frequent visits to my Chiropracter).
The price is definitely right. I have access to a splitter but it's usually off on some land a ways away until we get a group of friends and beer to help out.

Also trying to get parts rounded up to make a small mill. I have close to 12 acres I need to clear out for a cabin I designed and want use the oaks for the interior. I hate wasting good wood. Have enough stuff I have to trim every year for bon fires, it's always a battle keeping nature at bay.

For the axe It's starting to look like finding a used quality head or two and sticking them on some hickory. Knowing me and being out of practice I'll destroy the first handle getting back in the groove. Close to 40 years old so I can handle it for a bit longer I hope. Working on cars tore me up though, glad I only do that to help out friends and family now. Wish I knew back then how much impact tools really hammer on your joints.

Time to finish mowing before it rains yet again. It's a freakin swamp in the back yard but no choice right now, it's only going to get worse.  :rant:

Ty all again. Think I've decided on a couple of axes. Probably get one nice new head and a used one to get started with, depending on what I can find used.

Hatchet I dunno. Something nice for car camping and it won't get a ton of use. I still kind of want a all steel design for it, because I know when someone else uses it they will destroy a regular handle. I have a esee 5 but it's not very useful other than a club. Should of gotten the junglas instead.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 06:39:08 PM
I keep a small all-metal Estwing in the truck for camping or emergencies. Nice axe.

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 07:37:56 PM
I keep a small all-metal Estwing in the truck for camping or emergencies. Nice axe.
(Image removed from quote.)
That's one I was looking at. Does it hold a edge well and does the metal extend all the way through the handle like on the hammers?

This seems to be a good balance between hatchet and axe for my height. I was just concerned about the steel after I cracked one of their hammers.  That and vibration transferred through the handle.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 07:39:48 PM
That's one I was looking at. Does it hold a edge well and does the metal extend all the way through the handle like on the hammers?

This seems to be a good balance between hatchet and axe for my height. I was just concerned about the steel after I cracked one of their hammers.  That and vibration transferred through the handle.

Full metal. Holds a good edge (I thinned the edge on mine a bit).  Pretty much indestructible.

The downside is that it's heavy, so it's not a hiking/backpacking axe.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 07:41:19 PM
I have an Estwing hammer that 'rings' with every nail hit. I don't like that, but it's pretty much indestructible, too.

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 08:28:21 PM
I have an Estwing hammer that 'rings' with every nail hit. I don't like that, but it's pretty much indestructible, too.
Same. I have 3 now I think I just got one bad one, one of them has to be 20 years old. Instead of a refund I just exchanged it. Normally they seem to have the right hardness and I didn't manage to crack it with some heavy use remodeling the bathroom.

But I can probably tear up a crowbar in a sandbox if I tried  ::)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 10:45:48 PM
A builder friend of mine took an Estwing hammer back to the store for replacement/refund after it broke. He was denied because there were marks on the side of the head.  :think:  Surely everyone has used the side at one time or another to tap a wayward nail straight.  :dunno:
Every builder I have seen uses an Estwing here (I remember 1 or 2 using Plumb on a site over 20 years ago).

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 11:20:39 PM
A builder friend of mine took an Estwing hammer back to the store for replacement/refund after it broke. He was denied because there were marks on the side of the head.  :think:  Surely everyone has used the side at one time or another to tap a wayward nail straight.  :dunno:
Every builder I have seen uses an Estwing here (I remember 1 or 2 using Plumb on a site over 20 years ago).
Yeah, I had mine for two days before I cracked it, and they looked at me funny at Lowe's when I returned it. The only thing it touched was a finishing nail and I know I shouldn't use a 22 Oz cleated hammer on that. But I was just setting a piece of trim so someone wouldn't rip out door hinges by pushing it too far.

I think they have a lifetime warranty against that? But I probably wouldn't spend $15 dollars to ship in a $26 hammer.

Maybe I should get the new hatchet from esee haha. At least with them I know I can destroy it and get another. Or trade off this esee 5 I don't use with aftermarket scales for one.

us Online cody6268

Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 11:56:56 PM
Do you have a Stihl dealership nearby? They have the Woodcutter Camp and Forestry Hatchet for about $30, which is what they sell them at our local Stihl dealer for. According to the owners, they sell a lot of them.  They're German made Ochsenkoph in reality, and are half what most of the products that company sells under their own name. I find it the perfect thing between a hatchet and an axe. Also, these are one of the few that ship decently sharp. A lot of other companies ship the things dull and blunt.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/woodforesthatchet/

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 02:59:50 AM
Do you have a Stihl dealership nearby? They have the Woodcutter Camp and Forestry Hatchet for about $30, which is what they sell them at our local Stihl dealer for. According to the owners, they sell a lot of them.  They're German made Ochsenkoph in reality, and are half what most of the products that company sells under their own name. I find it the perfect thing between a hatchet and an axe. Also, these are one of the few that ship decently sharp. A lot of other companies ship the things dull and blunt.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/woodforesthatchet/

(Image removed from quote.)
Got a few and a couple of their chainsaws. I like the design of the head just wish there was more meat on the poll.

I seen a few used heads on ebay and wondered if the Hudson Bay heads were any good?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Collins-Legitimus-US-1-75-2lb-Hudson-Bay-axe-head-Very-NIce-Shape/264311842532?hash=item3d8a36a6e4:g:5koAAOSwDxhc0AAs&redirect=mobile

Shape I'm looking for and probably what I'll end up with for the full length axe and heavier.

The hatchet I may attempt the estwing but I have doubts about the steel. I still like the new esee or something special. Maybe find something in 3v steel, I kinda want something special to try. Then get one as a gift for my Dad he's been wanting something he can throw for some reason, don't ask me why.

I dunno, like knives I want a dozen of them lol.

I thank you all for the suggestions. It's nice to see different viewpoints and I apologize if I'm picky and stubborn.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 03:12:16 AM
I guess I'm a little late to this party, but I'll put in a plug for Estwing.  I have one of https://www.estwing.com/collections/axes-outdoor/products/campers-axe and one of https://www.estwing.com/collections/axes-outdoor/products/fireside-friend-splitting-tool .  I've beaten on them quite a bit, including using the axe to drive the splitting tool through some particularly stubborn pieces of wood, and they haven't failed yet.

Also, I can't speak for the leather handles, but the rubberized shock reduction handles seem to do a decent job of not transferring an unreasonable amount of vibration back to the hand.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%