Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Basic tool set?

gb Offline MrMckay

Basic tool set?
on: May 06, 2019, 12:32:44 PM
My friend has just got his own house. He is not technically minded or particularly handy in the slightest. He has some tools borrowed from friends including some of mine. Although I'll end up doing most things for him. What, in your opinions is a good starter tool kit? I'm thinking of basing it around a Stanley tool roll. I already got him a Gerber suspension. A majority of the tools will be new with some of my duplicates thrown in. We are not talking major jobs etc just little fix it things that I think he will be able to manage Haha

My list so far-
Tape measure 3m
Pozi and flat screw driver (maybe a multi bit)
Pliers
Shifter spanner
Pump grips
Filling knife
Stanley blade
Maybe a small set of mole grips.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Basic tool set?
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:18:37 PM
Cordless drill, hammer, flat bar, level, hand saw

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:55 PM
Cordless drill, hammer, flat bar, level, hand saw
The drill he will have to get himself lol

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 05:49:03 PM
I assume a "shifter spanner" is an adjustable wrench?
How about a flashlight (torch)?
- Steve

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:51:09 PM
A mid sized Knipex Plier Wrench. For all those hex, square or flat shaped things around the house, plumbing, cars, cycles and what not. 250mm/ 10" size is a good starter.

And a proper cutting plier? Universal pliers can be fine when there is plenty of room or the work can come to the plier, but dedicated cutters are usually better at it and especially in tight spots.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:56:57 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:20:32 PM
Maybe a SAK?  :pok: :)

It's no tool box replacement, but I love the idea of having something handy always at my side.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:08 PM
There are a lot of people whose only tools is an SAK or LM they keep stuck in a drawer.  And from personal experience (mostly from out in the field, when I had no other tools)--that ain't gonna cut it.

Mine would be. And this is mostly what's in my toolbox.   A bit extensive, but a lot of the cheap homeowner's tool sets include a similar list.

Decent Flashlight (most of those homeowners tool kits include a piece of junk).
Adustable Wrench
Hammer (claw)
Hammer (soft face)
Multi-bit screwdriver
Linesman's pliers
Needlenose pliers
Wire Cutters
Channellock or Knipex Cobra type pliers. I prefer the latter, but Channellock is cheaper and American made.
Pry Bar (something like the old Stanley Wonder Bar; that was my first)
Utility Knife
Pipe Wrench (about a 10" will do)
Plierrench (yes, this is an odd, specialized tool that's been discussed here before. But a full set with all the jaws will save a ton of headache for several tasks.
Precision Screwdriver Set
Hand saw.

And maybe some assorted hardware:  Some homeowner's tool kits, again, include a little bit of this stuff, but the quality is BAD.

Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Steel Wire (I find a roll of rebar binding wire is something always handy to have around)
Photo Hanging Kit
Assorted Nails
Assorted screws (All three of these can be found in assortments that are under $5 total)

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 07:25:26 PM
Awesome suggestions!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:57:57 PM
*most* of my problems in the house are solved with medium and small shifter, P1, P2, P3, assorted flat head drivers, a pair of linesman pliers and a ball pein hammer.

The odd event requires more speSmurfpillst (or precision) tools, but for fixing door handles or hinges, adjusting this or that, whacking the odd proud nail, and levering off the stove tops to clean underneath (for example), I'm well set with the above (I didn't have to think too hard about the list, I just looked at my bookcase, which has some tools that either myself or my wife use often enough that I can't be bothered moving them to a better place, and so by the process of natural selection, must the be home essentials)

For something to do, I priced these up with Stanley brand, and it came to $117, which, by Australian Minimum Wage standards, is about six-and-a-half hours wages, let's call it a day's pay.

Not bad for a decent baseline of tools that should last forever and can be built upon with more specific requirements over time.

(Also, notably, cheaper than a Leatherman Wave  :whistle:)

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 03:50:54 AM
Not sure if the OP is still checking on this thread, but here is my list:

Flat Blade Screwdrivers                              
   3/8" blade (very large)                           
   1/4" blade (medium)                           
   1/8" blade (small)                           
Philips Screwdrivers                              
Claw Hammer (16 oz or 20 oz is good)                              
Tape Measure (10' to 25') or Folding Ruler                              
Utility or Electricians' Knife                              
Slip-Joint (standard) Pliers                              
Tongue-and-Groove (Channellock) Pliers (one medium or one large + one small)                              
Locking (Vise-Grip) Pliers (one medium or one large + one small)                              
One wire stripper with mulitple holes, one for each size wire                              
One large adjustable (Cresent) Wrench (12")                              
One small adjustable (Cresent) Wrench (6")                              
Needle Nose Pliers                              
Linemans' Pliers                              
Level (about 6" to 10" is good) - should have at least two bubbles (one vertical and one horizontal), plus a hole for a string                              
Diagonal Cutting Pliers                              

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 07:01:24 PM
There are a lot of people whose only tools is an SAK or LM they keep stuck in a drawer.  And from personal experience (mostly from out in the field, when I had no other tools)--that ain't gonna cut it.

Mine would be. And this is mostly what's in my toolbox.   A bit extensive, but a lot of the cheap homeowner's tool sets include a similar list.

Decent Flashlight (most of those homeowners tool kits include a piece of junk).
Adustable Wrench
Hammer (claw)
Hammer (soft face)
Multi-bit screwdriver
Linesman's pliers
Needlenose pliers
Wire Cutters
Channellock or Knipex Cobra type pliers. I prefer the latter, but Channellock is cheaper and American made.
Pry Bar (something like the old Stanley Wonder Bar; that was my first)
Utility Knife
Pipe Wrench (about a 10" will do)
Plierrench (yes, this is an odd, specialized tool that's been discussed here before. But a full set with all the jaws will save a ton of headache for several tasks.
Precision Screwdriver Set
Hand saw.

And maybe some assorted hardware:  Some homeowner's tool kits, again, include a little bit of this stuff, but the quality is BAD.

Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Steel Wire (I find a roll of rebar binding wire is something always handy to have around)
Photo Hanging Kit
Assorted Nails
Assorted screws (All three of these can be found in assortments that are under $5 total)

Good starter kit right there, and what Steve C said earlier. Also maybe a Miter Box and saw. Maybe also a wallboard saw, a nice organizer for all of the previously mentioned small hardware.

Dont forget a little ladder. Size depends on whether he will be reaching the top of cabinets or also cleaning out roof gutters, etc.

Get a 5 gallon bucket or two and some work gloves.

Good start. Actually that should get you through most issues, especially if you double up on a couple of those wrenches

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 07:05:32 PM
I have nearly every wrench and drive tool that any mechanic could ever have. I just ran into a plumbing nightmare that I have been working on for three days and found a plumbing wrench that every homeowner needs. Due to tight spaces and weird angles there is almost no way to fix basic plumbing repairs without this tool. I got one at the local farm store for $13.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-WRN92001-Wrench-Capacity-11-Inch/dp/B01D4ZF0HA/ref=asc_df_B01D4ZF0HA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309869401414&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6490306052247705909&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015275&hvtargid=pla-435522867290&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=63364097444&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309869401414&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6490306052247705909&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015275&hvtargid=pla-435522867290

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 04:17:34 AM
So far no one has mentioned safety glasses.

A bucket and bucket organizer might be a nice touch.
A chalk line is a step up from beginners tools, but It doesn't cost much and is very useful.
A painters tool is a great thing to have in the household tool box.  They come in lots of varieties, (like any MT) but the basic version is a 5 in 1.
There are handles that accept reciprocating saw blades, they are to a saw what multi bit driver is to a screw driver.  They're good value and very useful.
No one mentioned clamps, spring, C, and bar clamps.
No one mentioned files or rasps.
Basic locking utility razor knife.
Extendable pocket magnet.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24