Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you eat today?

us Offline Awesom-0

What did you eat today?
on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:33 PM
I searched and didn't find anything general about food and recipes. Figured I'd make a thread for what you cooked or ate.

I love to cook and will add some pictures. I like all kinds of food and making it, Dad is a retired butcher and Mom was a baker.

If you want recipes I'm happy to share along with techniques.

First up something that doesn't look pretty and I don't like soup but it's great. Tortilla soup!

Mods if you know of a thread that is like this please delete or merge.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
* _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (Filesize: 58.2 KB)

us Offline Awesom-0

Re: What did you eat today?
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:33:32 PM
Takes about 4 hours, but can make a bunch cheap. Made it for Dad's birthday and one of his favorites. 3 hours for the broth so it's not a lot of labor other than frying the corn tortillas for the crunchy topping. What isn't seen that you add on top is cheese and avacado.

Ingredients adobo sauce (very important), whole chicken or thighs, bell peppers, onions, jalapeños, hominy and or corn, ranch style beans in a can (but can use whatever I like the sauce included in ranch style), garlic anyway you want it (roasted is great), rice is optional (add based on the cooking time it says), cilantro (but if you think it tastes like soap can leave it out you genetic weirdo), cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper just enough to flavor the chicken.

Start with a large pot add about a teaspoon of oil saute onions until you get tired of it usually 10-20 minutes, if you don't like hot jalapeños throw them in at the same time and half a bell pepper diced. This stuff will be mush later and just part of the broth.

Toss in your whole chicken or thighs brown a little if you want for some added flavor. Add enough water to cover it 3/4 of the way or you will run out of room. Add about 3 adobo peppers (diced) and about 3 tablespoons of the juice from the can. BTW that can is freaking sharp if you stick your finger in it to scoop out some and burns bad on cuts :D
Add your garlic, about a teaspoon of paprika, and half a teaspoon of chili powder now as well.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. That's your broth and chicken. While waiting  cut up your 1 and a half bell peppers small enough to fit on a spoon with everything else. Two jalapeños thinly sliced and a large onion quartered. Dice cilantro for the end.

Cut corn tortillas into half inch squares (you will want a dozen they are great by themselves) fry in hot oil, I use canola because it's "healthy" until they start to brown. Drain them and salt like a chip. Also this is how you make the best chips for dip just make them larger.

After 3 hours get your chicken out so it cools. Add the rest of the ingredients corn and or hominy, bell pepper, instant rice (if you don't use instant add regular 30 minutes earlier), jalapeños, and canned beans of choice.

Get the bones out of the chicken and make the meat in chunks that will fit on your spoon. Throw your chicken back in the pot minus the bones. 15 minutes and you are done. Add salt to taste, top with cheese, your fried chips, and avacado in that order.

You have real authentic tortilla soup and it's better than it sounds.

Had a Mexican girlfriend so I had to learn the proper way to make it since it was her favorite. And I don't like soup generally except this and chicken and dumplings  :D

Adobo sauce is one of the main flavors in this and is required. It is great for many things and has a smoky sweet flavor. I hope I remembered everything and you can cheat some to save time and adjust amounts. Because I don't cook by measuring anything except for baking.

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:00:58 PM
Med rare pork chops, not the one on top someone is picky, fire roasted potatoes for potato salad, and hot links. With a little bit of pear wood added for smoke.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
* _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (Filesize: 76.34 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 04:43:37 PM
Bumped!  I'll try to get some pics posted. 
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD