Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Steak knives. What do you guys use?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Steak knives. What do you guys use?
on: May 02, 2019, 05:18:39 PM
As the title says :D I am curious to see what everyone uses for steak knives and kitchen table knives rather than just a kitchen knife (we have a thread for that but I wanted this to be a bit more focused)  :cheers: I am wanting to know because I am also shopping around for new steak knives and I would like a good set :tu: I know some of you use regular folders and maybe even regular fixed  blades for this task and I am welcome to all suggestions :D

Pics of some tasty steaks might not hurt either :drool:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Steak knives. What do you guys use?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:33:01 PM
I've used everything from SAKs to whatever fixed blade I have on me at the time.  I don't actually have any dedicated steak knives  :think:.  None that were bought specifically for that purpose anyway.  My go to is any fixed blade but I will use a SAK, preference to Alox.  My CRKT Texas Toothpick and my Buck Creek or my Wenger SI or Cadet 2.  All great steak knives.   
IMG_7097.jpg
* IMG_7097.jpg (Filesize: 231.24 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 06:44:31 PM
Thanks for the reply,  Aloha :salute: I just usually never use my regular knives at home for food that much I guess :think: I use them ar work when the need arises but usually have kitchen knives when at home :cheers:

Also I would rather have plain edge as the serrated kind irks me to no end usually :D most of the time the serrations are so fine that there is no sharpening them ::) :facepalm: :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:08:34 PM
Well, you know me, Poncho. I use a set of Buck's.  :D

I got these at the Buck factory when I visited. Very nice, and, most importantly, great cutters at the table!  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 08:44:13 PM
Very fancy 8) those are not the type of serrations that bother me :cheers: those are more like the ones they have at a steakhouse :tu: I don't believe I have ever seen Buck branded ones though :think: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 08:48:53 PM
We've had these for over 25 years. Serrated but wide shallow serrations that cut through steak like butter. Reminds me I've been meaning to touch them up as I don't think they've ever been sharpened.   :think:

Case XX

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:23:07 PM by SteveC »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 09:02:22 PM
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:31:09 PM by SteveC »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
 :ahhh

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:25:15 PM
Just finished,  lightly sanded the handles and oiled them with mineral oil. A few swipes either side on a steel and they are cutting paper.    :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 09:46:04 PM
There's a set of six on ebay for $50 which is a great price considering they are going for almos $300 on amazon for a set of four  :o

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Six-Case-XX-Miracle-Edge-254-Steak-Knives-Set-Walnut-Storage-Rack-/372654903473?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Another set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Case-XX-Miracl-Edge-Stainless-M-254-Six-Piece-Steak-Knife-Set-With-Box/123750876809?hash=item1cd0208689:g:kCwAAOSwfMRcx3uj
That first set isn't really a complete set as one of the knives out of five is a half tang version with only two pins in the handle.  Looks like somebody made a substitution under the designated hitter rule.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 09:55:57 PM
Around here, basically any small kitchen knife. We have a set of Chicago Cutlery steak knives, but they get used for everything else.

They include:

Vic serrated paring knife
Rada Tomato Slicer
Henckels 5" Utility.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:09 PM
Here is our set of four steak knives.The handles were originally cracked ice celluloid that deteriorated so I re-handled them with pieces of crown stag I bought at a yard sale(50 cents per antler).The top one is the one I use all the time. It has a tine sticking out that makes an excellent thumb rest(I'm left handed).
FourStagHandledSteakKnives2019.JPG
* FourStagHandledSteakKnives2019.JPG (Filesize: 61.94 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 12:16:33 PM
Love the Case ones, Steve :dd: I would be sold on the eBay ones but not so sure my wife would be thrilled about them :think: :-\ :D Glad yours cleaned up well and are back to new nearly :tu: :like: That other set that you found might be the ticket though :cheers:

Those are lovely, Ray :dd: and also part of my motivation for starting this thread in the first place  :cheers: :like:

Great to see what everyone uses :tu:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:21:43 PM by Poncho65 »

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 09:12:56 PM

Those are lovely, Ray :dd: and also part of my motivation for starting this thread in the first place  :cheers: :like:

Great to see what everyone uses :tu:

Thanks for the kind words. If you like I have quite a few steak knife sets I've acquired over the years that I can post..One of the most beautiful is a six knife set from the Japan Sword Co.that has hammered silver handles and comes in a velour lined wooden box.
Hakusui InamiCutlery 003.jpg
* Hakusui InamiCutlery 003.jpg (Filesize: 60.66 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 10:10:25 PM
We use some Tramontina knives but I also use the folder I have in pocket when I eat outside. It was an Opinel Jardin and now my Gerber DoubleTake.
But, if I was more style conscious, I would use Cristophle (they had them in an Abu Dabhi Hotel) or, better yet, Laguiyole.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 06:52:55 AM
Here are some more sets:
Three sets of steak knives by Hakusui Inami aka the Japan Sword Co.The second set is missing one knife.
A set of Henry's Original Tomato & Steak knives I got from my mother's estate.
HakusuiInamiSteakKnives1.JPG
* HakusuiInamiSteakKnives1.JPG (Filesize: 58.07 KB)
HakusuiInamiSteakKnives2.JPG
* HakusuiInamiSteakKnives2.JPG (Filesize: 55.06 KB)
HakusuiInamiSteakKnives3InBox.JPG
* HakusuiInamiSteakKnives3InBox.JPG (Filesize: 58.65 KB)
Henry'sOriginalTomato&SteakKnife1.JPG
* Henry'sOriginalTomato&SteakKnife1.JPG (Filesize: 64.25 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 06:59:05 AM
A few more:
A set of 4 marked Made in Japan.I recently found a fifth one.
A pair marked JM Sterling.These might be Jacques Mongin from France.
A set of faux pearl handled knives with fileworked spines marked Jordan Marsh Company(a retail store in Boston Massachusetts back in the 1950's)made in England.
A set of five unmarked steak knives.They look like they may have been made in Denmark.I have carving sets that are very similar.
JapaneseSteakKnives4 $3.99.jpg
* JapaneseSteakKnives4 $3.99.jpg (Filesize: 58.25 KB)
JMSterling62SteakKnife-2-.50 001.jpg
* JMSterling62SteakKnife-2-.50 001.jpg (Filesize: 43.69 KB)
JordanMarshCo.SteakKnives.JPG
* JordanMarshCo.SteakKnives.JPG (Filesize: 55.35 KB)
KitchenKnives 014.jpg
* KitchenKnives 014.jpg (Filesize: 54.58 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 07:02:09 AM
A few more:
A set marked MAC Japan.
Three Queen Cutlery bone handled knives.
A set marked Rowoco Made in France with aluminum handles.
A set marked Town & Country England in an unusual box.
MACJapansteakknives2016-8 001.jpg
* MACJapansteakknives2016-8 001.jpg (Filesize: 51.23 KB)
QueenSteelSteakKnives-3-.50each 001.jpg
* QueenSteelSteakKnives-3-.50each 001.jpg (Filesize: 43.44 KB)
RowocoMadeInFranceSteakKnives.JPG
* RowocoMadeInFranceSteakKnives.JPG (Filesize: 52.18 KB)
Town&CountryKnifeSet.jpg
* Town&CountryKnifeSet.jpg (Filesize: 59.21 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 10:50:56 PM
A set of Gerber Miming knives with a Pixie in the middle. These are part of a larger carving set. I love the names Gerber attaches to their knives although I'm not sure of their meanings.
Also a set of Aer-Flo plastic knives in their original box.Could be used to cut steak;they are sharp enough!
And finally a set of knives and forks made in Argentina with fancy handles.
GerberMiming(6)&Pixie.JPG
* GerberMiming(6)&Pixie.JPG (Filesize: 53.18 KB)
Aer-FloPlasticKnifeSet.JPG
* Aer-FloPlasticKnifeSet.JPG (Filesize: 59.08 KB)
ArgentineEatingSet1.JPG
* ArgentineEatingSet1.JPG (Filesize: 42.96 KB)

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 12:45:54 AM
My steak knives are some cheap Farber Ware serated from wally world.
Ths same with kitchen knives. No mater how often i used to tell (i gave up) the girls not to cut on glass and ceramic. They did any who, so cheap knives keep my free hand skills sharp.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 01:13:38 AM
Ths same with kitchen knives. No mater how often i used to tell (i gave up) the girls not to cut on glass and ceramic. They did any who, so cheap knives keep my free hand skills sharp.
That is precisely why I prefer non-serrated blades. As for reminding most kids not to do something that is akin to telling them not to stick their finger in a light socket! Been there;done that;don't want the T-shirt!

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 01:31:27 AM
That is precisely why I prefer non-serrated blades. As for reminding most kids not to do something that is akin to telling them not to stick their finger in a light socket! Been there;done that;don't want the T-shirt!

The kitchen knives are plain edge but not the steak knives. Those, at least until they get real bad just get stoned on the back side.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 03:47:20 AM

And that's why I have to be careful how the few good ones I've found on sale (Henckels, Victorinox, Nogent, Rada) in my block are used. I've seen my grandmother using those she has (mostly el cheapo)  prying open paint cans, scraping paint, and using them for garden work. I found and refurbished the heirloom knives my great-grandfather used (some hand made), and it took some work, one butcher knife I knew she always used to scrape paint before I got it and refurbished it. That one made a nice field knife (well weighted, and a lanyard hole) and it fits perfect in a leather Kabar sheath.  I bought two Old Hickories (because I knew the way I use and care for kitchen knives; they would stay rust-free), and they were a rusted mess within a week when she got hold of them. Safe to say, those went in the fixed blade box as soon as possible. She also tried to open a paint can with the butcher's knife in that pair. Most recently, she asked to borrow my Mora to scrape paint and caulk off old trim she was saving from when we remodeled the kitchen. Instead, I gave her the Olfa utility knife I had on me. 

When I inherited a few knives from my great-uncle (some my great-grandfather had made from saw blades; and they are tough even though many are rather thin), she tried to take the two butcher knives. I found them and put them back with my stuff.  I gave her a Morakniv; she wouldn't use it.  And she won't use anything but glass cutting boards  after getting a pair as gifts a couple years back, that ruins any good knife. Thinking about getting some Epicurean boards, and hiding the glass ones.  We have several wood ones, she won't use them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:56:18 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 12:27:56 PM
Thanks for the responses guys :cheers: Those are some lovely knives, Ray :dd: :drool: Thanks for the pcis and a desription of each set :like:

Thanks for the suggestions, KK :salute: :tu:

and cody, your grandmother sounds like a more utilitarian type of older person that is similar to many of the elderly people around here where I live :o :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44:10 AM
 :think:

Nobody mentioned good simple Victorinox steak knives, cheap, and I always wish they were a little more dull when washing them  :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 11:54:36 AM
I do have 1 of the Vic serrated knives that I use often and I think that may be the route I got as my wife likes it and all the Vic paring knives we have :think: So as long as she is happy then I am :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%