Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods

ZapWizard · 511 · 119865

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
Reply #150 on: September 03, 2019, 05:53:36 PM
That would certainly help :tu: but my engineer's mind would rest a little easier if there were some additional support for the bit at the back end opposite the curved front part as seen from the spring arm tooth (yes, correct, in torque as seen (counter-)clockwise in Pic 3 in your post earlier today). Otherwise the front end would take all the load which might overstress the collar, even if you made it thicker.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #151 on: September 03, 2019, 11:08:20 PM
This is truely amazing, and you managed to get a 1/4 inch hex in there as well...your a magician. You might be able to improve it slightly but this is already dramatically stronger than the versions found in the wave/charge/surge etc.

Hmm I wonder if this works on a T2...

Offline Archiver2013

• New User
Reply #152 on: September 05, 2019, 07:10:51 AM
Zapwizard, you have convinced me that the Free P4 can be redeemed, i cant wait to see the flat driver and how it turns out, I plan on getting the P4 eventually and I will be buying one of your adapters first for sure!

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #153 on: September 05, 2019, 04:48:01 PM
I made the front portion deeper, and ordered the prototype. It will be here in a few weeks.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #154 on: September 05, 2019, 09:18:40 PM
 :ahhh :popcorn:

Looking forward to this (despite my misgivings, which I'll admit may be entirely unfounded  :hatsoff:).
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #155 on: September 07, 2019, 04:43:19 PM
Great stuff Zap!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the ST300 sheath. I have one in need of an upgrade.

Will you be making it with the LM flat bit holders on the back as well? Mine is modded with a bit driver and I'd love to be able to carry the bits integrated into the sheath.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #156 on: September 07, 2019, 06:10:22 PM
Will you be making it with the LM flat bit holders on the back as well? Mine is modded with a bit driver and I'd love to be able to carry the bits integrated into the sheath.

I will be making the FREE P2 and P4 holsters with bit holder, but not for the SuperTool 300 as it just isn't popularly modded. However, once I release it, you can message me and I can do a custom one-off version.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #157 on: September 19, 2019, 02:58:40 AM

Hey folks, I made a video just for you.

The Flat Bit Driver will work, it just needs some prototyping to get it to turn out accurate from the factory. I had to use a diamond bit on a dremel, and lots of filing to bring the dimensions in line. For some reason this part shrunk more than the hex cutout I put into the 4mm Bit driver.

I also have the prototype for the Leatherman FREE P2, and tested the open clip for myself.

Finally, not in the video: I have completed my designs for the SuperTool 300, and FREE P2 and P4 holsters with bit holders on the back. Adding those bits created 24 new unique configurations!
I will be ordering prototypes of those, along with a tweaked bit driver soon.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #158 on: September 19, 2019, 03:01:34 AM
Will definitely be ordering the bit driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: September 19, 2019, 02:23:14 PM
 :iagree: :like: :drool:

The question is just whether I should put this into my early P4 with unstamped handles (the absence of time stamps might make these rare-ish?), or invest in a newer one...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #160 on: September 19, 2019, 02:26:42 PM
I will be making the FREE P2 and P4 holsters with bit holder, but not for the SuperTool 300 as it just isn't popularly modded. However, once I release it, you can message me and I can do a custom one-off version.
That would interest me too...
The cherry on the topping would be a holster with added space for not only the bit driver and bits, but in addition the Surge type exhangeable saw or file blade (provision for which I have modded into my ST300VX)  :D >:D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #161 on: September 27, 2019, 07:07:13 AM

Dislaimer: No promises that this will end up working.

You know what the FREE P4 is lacking: A good diamond file, a longer file, and metal cutting blades. Let us fix that with the versatile T-Shank blade holder!   :multi:

Okay, so this is something I have had on my list for a while. I have been aware of the T-Shank design that @Tofty did way back in 2013. In fact, his design inspired me to start trying to use 3D printed steel.

Today, a user on Shapeways messaged me asking if I was thinking of a T-Shank blade holder. He thought I could adapt the grip from a Surge, which might be possible with some grinding, but that isn't my style. This got me to head out to Home Depot and get myself some T-Shank blades, and make a detailed 3D model of one. And then spend the next six hours designing something I think may fit the bill.

-------------------------

It will install into a FREE P4 after removing the Saw, File and Spacer Washers from one side. Note: The P2 doesn't use the thin spacers anyways, and it won't really work well with this mod.
If you cut down your blade a bit, you can even keep one in the tool at all times. My plan would be to put in the Leatherman Diamond/Metal file included with the surge. I miss the Diamond File on my wave.

This will be a two-part component, which makes it more expensive than the P2. (Probably around $40)
If the tolerances all work out and the fit works, the two parts will lock together using a dovetail feature. (Shapeways user's idea)

You deploy the main potion (orange) using a thumb tab. If the other portion doesn't come along, a pin actually pushes it out at the 90 degree mark. Both halves will mesh, and then be fully locked by the mechanism in the P4.
Each side as half of the T-Shank grip, allowing for quick changing of blades by only sliding away one only half.

The biggest issue is that jig saw blades don't come in just one thickness, I bought a five pack of Bosch blades, and they have three different thickness. (1.0, 1.25 & 1.5mm). The Leatherman File and saw are the thickest at 1.78mm.
Do that end I have included a small "Spring arm" and bump. However, this material isn't terribly springy, it is more bend and stay. It works okay for the Flat bit holder. So a prototype and some testing will be needed. At worst you will end up with the same shim situation that the Surge has now.

I now have a big list of items to prototype and get ready for you folks.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: September 27, 2019, 10:20:00 AM
That is just... awesome!  :like: :drool: :drool:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #163 on: September 27, 2019, 12:00:45 PM
OK. This could turn the Free into an almost perfect multitool. Now if only it had better blade steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #164 on: September 27, 2019, 12:58:31 PM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #165 on: September 27, 2019, 01:26:11 PM
Excellent  :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #166 on: September 27, 2019, 01:48:11 PM
Good stuff !    :like:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #167 on: September 27, 2019, 03:43:46 PM
 :iagree: with all...very nice!  :like:

Offline ABURABURA

Reply #168 on: September 30, 2019, 03:03:32 PM
 :gimme: :like:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #169 on: October 12, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Okay, here is a longish video exclusive for your folks showing the T-Shank holder, both before and after grinding it to fit the Leatherman blades.

Skip to 3:00 to see it holding a T-Shank, with only the dovetailing tolerances corrected.
Skip to 6:40 to see it installed in the tool, and holding a T-Shank in-tool, and modified to fit the Leatherman Blades.

Once the tolerances around the dove tail feature were corrected, it works very well on Bosh blades. The biggest issue being accommodating different blade thickness. The little ball on the end of a spring arm works, but not as a spring. This bronze/steel material isn't springy, it acts less like stainless steel, and more like mild steel in this regard. So I need to figure out a better solution for this.

The good news is that I think with some more prototyping this is a viable modification. The other major issue is making it fit Leatherman Surge blades. I think the solution there will be asking folks to grind down the Leatherman T-Shank profile to fit the Bosh profile. After I ground down the tool to hold the Leatherman blade, it was just too loose on the Bosh blades.

-----------

In other news:

I also have in hand my Free P2 second prototype holster, as well as holsters for the FREE series with both 4mm and Flat bit holders on the back. I ordered on of my FREE P4 holsters in this config to make a video, and found my current FREE P4 holster has a very tight grip on the springs, making it difficult to use, so that will need correcting. Ever time I have to make any change to the CAD file I have to export over a dozen different variants to update each unique version and it takes lots of time. I will have videos on that, and the updated Flat bit holder soon.

The ST300 holster prototype also arrived, it works okay, but isn't very snappy. So one more prototype on that also.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #170 on: October 12, 2019, 04:43:20 PM
Looks good can’t wait to see the finished product  :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: October 12, 2019, 05:14:00 PM
 :iagree: :popcorn: :drool:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline vadsoom

Reply #172 on: October 12, 2019, 05:21:44 PM
Bloody brilliant!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #173 on: October 12, 2019, 05:36:21 PM
I've only seen the video and not listened to it, so haven't followed the comments and I'm not sure whether you covered this:

On the topic of making the Surge blades fit, would it be an option to make the shank cavity to the depth of the LM shank, with the exception of a circular nub at the position of the hole in the LM shank that locally restricts the cavity depth to the thickness of a Bosch shank *)? Maybe that is sufficient to hold both types. Possibly in combination with a spring with a larger contact area on the shank...

Just thinking  :dunno:

*) Edit: maybe just one of the Bosch thicknesses... 1.25?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:53:02 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline Matpar_McWolfie

Reply #174 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:48 AM
I CAN'T WAIT for the t-shank holder and the holster with bit slots to be available ... This is gonna cost me a lot!

Regarding the t-shank thickness issue:
On the topic of making the Surge blades fit, would it be an option to make the shank cavity to the depth of the LM shank, with the exception of a circular nub at the position of the hole in the LM shank that locally restricts the cavity depth to the thickness of a Bosch shank *)? Maybe that is sufficient to hold both types. Possibly in combination with a spring with a larger contact area on the shank...
So that circular nub would go on the orange part, if you refer to Zap's post above? Would make sense to me. It would greatly reduce the thickness needed on the other side's "springy arm".

Hey Zap, on another topic, I was wondering if your blade tabs would be reversible? Let's say I'm a big goofy lefty (which I may or may not actually be), and I decided to switch the serrated and the straight blades so the latter is next to my left thumb when I hold the tool. I noticed that the hole egde is ever so sligthly sharper on one side than on the other. Would you tab fit on both sides of the blade so I can use them with my current configuration?

- The dovetail guy on Shapeways  ;)

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #175 on: October 14, 2019, 05:38:07 AM
Outstanding work, Zapwizard!  :like: Goes to show how much potential this platform has and what LM decided to do with it  :facepalm:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #176 on: October 14, 2019, 12:22:49 PM
 :nothingtoadd:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #177 on: October 14, 2019, 04:35:27 PM

Regarding the t-shank thickness issue:So that circular nub would go on the orange part, if you refer to Zap's post above? Would make sense to me. It would greatly reduce the thickness needed on the other side's "springy arm".

Yup, that's where it would go, thanks for prompting the clarification :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #178 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:05 PM
The flat bit driver is now available to purchase.
Video:

The holster for the FREE P2 is also available:

And the FREE P2 and P3 bit-holder holsters are also now available. 4mm, Flat, and Flat with Bit extender options.

Finally, the holster for the ST300 is also ready

Shop link in my signature below.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #179 on: October 18, 2019, 06:00:07 PM
Very nice  :dd: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!