Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK for FAK?

us Offline Kraken

Best SAK for FAK?
on: May 09, 2019, 05:06:56 PM
I have an Maxpedition EDC pouch that I'm going to use as a basic First Aid Kit and want to include a SAK in there, even though I usually have one on me as my EDC. I want a model with the scissors, even though I'll have medics shears in the kit. I thought that a model with a wood saw would be beneficial as well, in case I need to trim down a couple of small tree branches to use as a splint, or to help construct a litter, etc. I'd like to hear what your thoughts are and what you have in your set up.
Semper Fortis

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Best SAK for FAK?
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 05:12:58 PM
How big is the pouch?  And how much room would you plan to host the SAK?

For 91mm, Vic Huntsman has the basic layers(blades, openers), scissors and wood saw.

111mm, I always recommend OH Trekker plain edge since it has a long awesome saw and sturdy lock blade, or even the rescue tool if you need the 'disc saw' and the window breaker.

For FAK use, please also consider the Delemont/Wenger Evo S17/18, which has similar setup like Huntsman, but with lockable blade.  Reason being if you need to hand the tool for someone else to use, and they are not use to slip joint knives, it might be safer to use with a blade lock.  Also the scissors on Wenger are like Shears, so they might be able to cut through material where normal scissors won't be able to.

Forget to mention--Tweezers in all these tools are great for removing small splinters.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:20:46 PM by comis »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 05:16:59 PM
The Executive gets my vote, followed by the Classic. They both have everything you need for a FAK.
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 05:18:04 PM
You could also use an explorer or similar model for the magnifier.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:38:16 PM
How big is the pouch?  And how much room would you plan to host the SAK?

For 91mm, Vic Huntsman has the basic layers(blades, openers), scissors and wood saw.

111mm, I always recommend OH Trekker plain edge since it has a long awesome saw and sturdy lock blade, or even the rescue tool if you need the 'disc saw' and the window breaker.

For FAK use, please also consider the Delemont/Wenger Evo S17/18, which has similar setup like Huntsman, but with lockable blade.  Reason being if you need to hand the tool for someone else to use, and they are not use to slip joint knives, it might be safer to use with a blade lock.  Also the scissors on Wenger are like Shears, so they might be able to cut through material where normal scissors won't be able to.

Forget to mention--Tweezers in all these tools are great for removing small splinters.

The listing has the size of the pouch at 6"(L) x 1"(W) x 8"(H). I used to use this pouch for my tool kit before it outgrew it and I know that it will expand a bit to fit more items in it. Great idea about the Evo S17/18! I hadn't thought about a locking blade and the need for someone else with less experience using the kit's knife. Thanks Comis!  :cheers:
Semper Fortis

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 06:10:59 PM
You probably are well prepared and know this already, but just for brain storming sake, a few items that I also put in my kit(which is a little larger):

Non-latex gloves
Retractable Headlamp or some kind of light (Petzl Zipka, keep two hands free)
Medical/Duct tape (make split, sprained angle, fix shoes too)
Marker (in case something really serious happens, write down vital signs, tourniquet time)
Trash bag (hypothermia, water purification, impromptu gloves, etc)
Imodium

20190510_000900.jpg
* 20190510_000900.jpg (Filesize: 169.15 KB)

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:19:27 PM
You probably are well prepared and know this already, but just for brain storming sake, a few items that I also put in my kit(which is a little larger):

Non-latex gloves
Marker (in case something really serious happens, write down vital signs, tourniquet time)
Imodium

I have all of those on my list, except for the headlamp. That is brilliant! I have a small flashlight that has a pocket clip that can be turned around and used on the brim of a baseball cap, but that requires someone wear a baseball cap to use it hands-free. I'll have to add headlamp to my pack out list.
Semper Fortis

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:30:20 PM
The Swiss knife that lives permanently in mine, is a Compact.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:35:17 PM
Depends on what size you want.

The obvious choice is the Victorinox Hunter XS or the Rescue Knife. But personally, I like the bakersknife (took off the tip)
firstaidkit_04.jpg
* firstaidkit_04.jpg (Filesize: 62.08 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 06:10:05 PM

Non-latex gloves
Imodium

Great kit and picture! :like:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 07:19:29 PM
Great kit and picture! :like:

:cheers:

Depends on what size you want.

The obvious choice is the Victorinox Hunter XS or the Rescue Knife. But personally, I like the bakersknife (took off the tip)

Don't see this very often, that's a cool choice to substitute the Rescue/Hunter XS  :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:24:43 PM
Don't see this very often, that's a cool choice to substitute the Rescue/Hunter XS  :tu:
Thanks, it is a matter of size... the XS is not a small knife, but the bakers knife is. The bakers knife cuts very well (thin serrated blade). Probably not the right tool if you want to cut someone out of a biker uniform, but I tested it on Jeans and it works no problem.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%