Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Screwdrivers?

gb Offline MrMckay

Screwdrivers?
on: May 10, 2019, 12:41:49 PM
Although we love multi-tool a multi screwdriver is not my preferred one. Although excellent when nothing else available. What's your favourite brand of screwdriver? I've always use wera or Stanley. Lately, whilst working on my house and a rental I own I've much preferred the weras. The laser tips are amazing.

So what's your go to?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: Screwdrivers?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:53:10 PM
I am not in love with the handles on the Wera but really love the Tips for sure.

I prefer Wiha which have a more comfy handle design I think and also have outstanding construction and Tip life and quality.

I have been using the Milwaukee Screwdrivers since they came out and they have been terrific on most counts and I can also afford to buy them and easily exchange them too as needed,to me this is as important as any feature too!.

I also have and use a lot of Klien but the quality seems to have fallen a lot in the last several years there too which is a shame as they used to be the GoTo drivers for the trades.

I also really like the Ideal drivers in small electronics sizes and I have tried them all.
Ideal seem to last longer and feel better in hand uniformly across the line and the tips are amazing for Terminal work.
They are harder to find sometimes but well worth the effort.

Last but not least is the Ratcheting Driver where Snap-On seems to stand alone if you want the best around these parts!
Pricey and the mechanism does break all the time but they are worth having a few around anyway,that is how good they are!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:55:22 PM
Although we love multi-tool a multi screwdriver is not my preferred one. Although excellent when nothing else available. What's your favourite brand of screwdriver? I've always use wera or Stanley. Lately, whilst working on my house and a rental I own I've much preferred the weras. The laser tips are amazing.

So what's your go to?

Wera for the tips on large screws. SwissTool/ Garant for the handgrip on small screws where tip seems less crucial. For tiny screws Wera again, although I'm equally happy with some others. Torque screwdrivers - Wera/ Swisstool/ Garant.

I've tried a few different brands. Those are the ones I've ended up buying more of as replacements are needed.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:00:02 PM
I also really like the Ideal drivers

Sounds interesting. Picture?

Ratcheting Driver where Snap-On seems to stand alone if you want the best around these parts! Pricey and the mechanism does break all the time but they are worth having a few around anyway,that is how good they are!

So they keep breaking but they are still the best? They must be very nice to use as long as they last then! :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:20:54 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:35:36 PM
Sounds interesting. Picture?

So they keep breaking but they are still the best? They must be very nice to use as long as they last then! :)

Sad but true and yes I know it sounds crazy! :ahhh

Ratchet Drivers are an odd breed it seems.
All of the others that I use seem to have the same mechanism inside and roughly the same feel to them too.
They also all work the opposite of how you would think they do? Right is loose and left is tight?
Snap-On are somehow alone in that they actually work just like your hand turning a standard driver.
Add to that the smoothness of the mechanism and the Lifetime Warranty and yes I have 4 or 5 of them and can always have a few working between finding a SnapOn Truck to repair the broken ones,they are that good to use.

I will get pics of everything I talked about when I can.

Also it seems that there are brands all over the World that are mostly local to certain places but still sold everywhere and others that might be great that have no real universal distribution and are only Local sadly.
There are also brands that are just labeled differently depending on the market so it makes it tough to directly compare as well.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 07:40:12 PM
My favorite is a ratchet bit driver.  I assumed it was Craftsman, as that's what 90% of what I own is, but the name seems to have worn off.  The handle swings out to the side, looks strange, but really ergonomic and you can develop a lot of torque.
ratchetsd - 1.jpg
* ratchetsd - 1.jpg (Filesize: 76.14 KB)
ratchetsd - 2.jpg
* ratchetsd - 2.jpg (Filesize: 67.27 KB)
ratchetsd - 3.jpg
* ratchetsd - 3.jpg (Filesize: 49.48 KB)
- Steve

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 07:42:01 PM
I was looking at some Irwin pro set on Amazon to have some spares around the garage and house. I've always been impressed with Irwin. I must admit I am watching a couple snap on ratchet drivers on Ebay. I use wera for precision drivers and have a set of facom precision ones too which are decent quality. I've become used with the wera grips over the years and find them most comfortable. I love the multi vde set I have. I'll have to try wiha i think!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 09:36:32 AM
Also it seems that there are brands all over the World that are mostly local to certain places but still sold everywhere and others that might be great that have no real universal distribution and are only Local sadly.
There are also brands that are just labeled differently depending on the market so it makes it tough to directly compare as well.

Indeed. Many tool brands share the same owners so some tools seems to just be carrying a different brand in different regions. Sometimes with a different price tag too.

Then there are some more cultural differences too it seems. Certain kind of tools are more popular in some regions than others. Around here for instance linesman pliers or wormdrive circular saws are a rare sight.

Some differences might also be due to the difference of the buyer or owner. Around here the employer supplies all the tools, while other places the employee bring their own tools - the quality/ cost structure chosen for the tools might be different for that reason.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:58 AM
My favorite is a ratchet bit driver.  I assumed it was Craftsman, as that's what 90% of what I own is, but the name seems to have worn off.  The handle swings out to the side, looks strange, but really ergonomic and you can develop a lot of torque.

At first sight I thought the hole in the handle was an option to move the bitholder there for more torque. That is a better solution though! Both torque and easy quick rotation when you need that - nice.

I stumbled across this one some time back. I have to admit I'm not entirely convinced.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90339443/this-reinvented-screwdriver-is-the-tool-to-end-all-tools
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 09:49:37 AM
Has anyone tried this kind of design by the way? I thought about getting one many times just to try, but somehow always forget :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9SkIP98u8

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Offline mtoolman

Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 01:05:11 AM
I just bought a set of Wiha VDE screwdriver, and they are excellent.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:19:14 PM
Has anyone tried this kind of design by the way? I thought about getting one many times just to try, but somehow always forget :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9SkIP98u8

I'm not sure how that would be easier, especially with flathead screws?   :think:

I can see it being better for carpal tunnel sufferers since it seems to eliminate twisting, but I am not sure that would make it easier or one handed?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:34 PM
I'm not sure how that would be easier, especially with flathead screws?   :think:

Yes, that does seem like a challenge...  :think:

I can see it being better for carpal tunnel sufferers since it seems to eliminate twisting, but I am not sure that would make it easier or one handed?

It does seem faster when the screw is loose, but up until you mentioned flat screws I figured the main challenge might be tightening or looseing something stuck.

It might be one of those things that one just needs to try to see the light go either on or off?  :think: Fun concept either way :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:12 PM
Yes, that does seem like a challenge...  :think:

It does seem faster when the screw is loose, but up until you mentioned flat screws I figured the main challenge might be tightening or looseing something stuck.

It might be one of those things that one just needs to try to see the light go either on or off?  :think: Fun concept either way :)

Those are designed mainly for flat screws and mostly to install switch outlets and covers.
I have tried a few times as I have seen many Sparky use them on Jobs but they make little sense to me based on my trials?
I always loose control and the blade goes tearing off across whatever I am installing and scratches the crap out of it somehow?

So I have a few of these and they just sit waiting for that day which will never come!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 08:17:36 PM
Those are designed mainly for flat screws and mostly to install switch outlets and covers.
I have tried a few times as I have seen many Sparky use them on Jobs but they make little sense to me based on my trials?
I always loose control and the blade goes tearing off across whatever I am installing and scratches the crap out of it somehow?

So I have a few of these and they just sit waiting for that day which will never come!

Good to know. I would really have imagined these being best for sunken screws ,or torx or similar types heads. Either way, nice to hear from someone who actually tried them!  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Offline mtoolman

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 12:35:02 AM
Got another set of screwdriver, and it is a set of Wera. 
Price was quite good, and they felt so good in hands.  Feels like it will generate  a lot of torque.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 07:57:21 PM
They work really good but there is a learning curve. It's like riding a bike once you got it you got it. I did two houses switches and plugs with mine. Saved a lot of time.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 08:01:55 PM

Smiller, that's a really cool handle, bet it works great! :like:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 02:59:51 AM

Smiller, that's a really cool handle, bet it works great! :like:
It does, that's why it's my favorite.
- Steve

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 05:19:14 AM
I really love my Duralast screwdrivers I got at auto zone! I needed some drivers in my box and these fit the bill at 14.99 and then the guy the counter gave me a 10%discount so I got them for 13.50! I used the flathead to pop tabs on the guides for my brake pads, pry the plugs of my ignition coils, and turn the bolt on my air intake hose's clamp. Mine are different than the ones on the website because the flatheads have a hex shaped shaft on mine. I'd say these are about on par with Craftsman quality, at a great price plus, MADE IN USA!
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
* _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (Filesize: 272.97 KB)
20190519_172950.jpg
* 20190519_172950.jpg (Filesize: 98.26 KB)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:24:50 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 07:02:26 PM
My kitchen junk drawer screwdriver. Saves me a trip to the garage.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 05:30:31 AM
I usually keep a few multi-bit screwdrivers in my junk-drawer too, Mr. McKay.  Mostly, Klein or Proto. 

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 08:40:09 PM
Snap On and MAC hard handles. They can’t be beat.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 10:20:43 PM

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 10:22:32 PM

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 10:29:30 PM

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 08:19:11 PM
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Excellent screwdriver I have a all black one that was being sold at a fantastic price as it was part of a limited edition run or something.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 02:30:29 AM
I have several pocket screwdrivers and my favorite is the USA-made SK Tools 85112:

https://sktools.com/shop/85112-2-in-1-suregrip-pocket-screwdriver.html

The combination slotted and Phillips P1 blade fits into a metal insert in the handle.

As is my habit, I glued a small, rare earth magnet to the end of the handle after filing the handle flat.  I find that Gorilla Glue works better than Super Glue in this application.

I can rub the screwdriver blade against the magnet a few times to magnetize the blade.  This is particularly handy when holding small screws for electrical outlet cover plates.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:36 AM
I have several pocket screwdrivers and my favorite is the USA-made SK Tools 85112:

https://sktools.com/shop/85112-2-in-1-suregrip-pocket-screwdriver.html

The combination slotted and Phillips P1 blade fits into a metal insert in the handle.

As is my habit, I glued a small, rare earth magnet to the end of the handle after filing the handle flat.  I find that Gorilla Glue works better than Super Glue in this application.

I can rub the screwdriver blade against the magnet a few times to magnetize the blade.  This is particularly handy when holding small screws for electrical outlet cover plates.

(Image removed from quote.)

The old Alexanders have had magnets on the top for years. Only problem is that the new ones have a plastic socket for the blade, while the old ones were steel. And whatever it is is susceptible to erosion from gas and diesel. That S&K looks like a great option at a decent price. The Alexanders, for years were freebie giveaways (as were most in my collection), but no one gives away tools, and to buy them are $3 each.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 05:45:43 AM
Other assorted pocket screwdrivers, many obtained as free promotional items.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%