Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Screwdrivers?

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Re: Screwdrivers?
Reply #30 on: June 09, 2019, 05:25:26 PM
Has anyone tried this kind of design by the way? I thought about getting one many times just to try, but somehow always forget :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9SkIP98u8

I have been using them for years, and I really like them the angle of the bencs and all that jazz is more I intuitive to use than you think. It's a very natural motion to me to loosen and tighten screws, plus the bend in the driver shaft is a good place for me to grip and apply torque. These definitely don't completely replace regular drivers but when mine got stolen I really missed them in my bag and now I have another pair.

Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 09:10:45 PM
Shown in the photo (top to bottom) are a Creative Products Easydriver, a smaller Speedball Easydriver, Craftsman 941464 B, Williams WRS-1, and Enderes KV-1.

The large Easydriver saves wear and tear on my wrist when building woodshop projects. I used the old Craftsman ratcheting screwdriver for miscellaneous home projects.

I now use the Enderes as a replacement for the Craftsman. The Craftsman has no bit storage and I don't want to keep walking back to the tool pile to retrieve the right bit for each job.

The bit is held into the Enderers driver shaft by the pressure of a ball bearing against the side of the bit.  But, the tiny ball bearing kept falling out so I now use a small, round rare earth magnet to hold the bit in the driver.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Walley

Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 04:52:32 AM
this may be a bit more than what the op was asking for, but when i go for a screwdriver that is more than what my Surge can handle, i grab my kit that never lets me down.
it is my custom assortment of 6" long round shank bits with a Klein Switch driver handle and a Dewalt Gyroscopic power screwdriver. tucked in along side is a Klein 4in1 electronics screwdriver with phillips, flat and torx mix, some cobra style pliers and mini Klein cutters. (i guess you can tell i like Klein)
all wrapped in the smallest Veto pro pac tool pouch they make.
for facility maintenance, that kit does 90% of my job.
I cant say enough about the Dewalt power screw driver. i think it is severely under appreciated. most people have never seen them. but it can drive 3" screws into solid wood and has a fine touch and control that is made for locksmiths and electrical work. I have been using it every work day for 5 years and on the same 2 original batteries. best power screwdriver on the market that i have seen.
if i want more torque than it can handle or space is limited then the Klein Switch is the king.
the bits snap in tight with no play at all even after many years of use.

oh, and the best thing about the Veto pouch is besides the great quality, i can hold it upside down and nothing falls out. even the bits stay firmly in place but easy to pull out due to a couple of small magnets that i dropped into the bottom of the pocket. you could hang over the side of a building with a harness and have it dangling from your side with no fear of anything dropping even when you pull other tools out. (sorry no video clip)
thumbnail_20190611_160038.jpg
* thumbnail_20190611_160038.jpg (Filesize: 187.79 KB)
thumbnail_20190611_100131.jpg
* thumbnail_20190611_100131.jpg (Filesize: 153.9 KB)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:20:00 AM by Walley »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Screwdrivers?
Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 01:08:51 PM
Nice but EVERYTHING always fell out of the one that I tried?
ALWAYS!

So I use the MB1 instead and it is perfect for the same use as yours and the Dewalt is covered in there too!

this may be a bit more than what the op was asking for, but when i go for a screwdriver that is more than what my Surge can handle, i grab my kit that never lets me down.
it is my custom assortment of 6" long round shank bits with a Klein Switch driver handle and a Dewalt Gyroscopic power screwdriver. tucked in along side is a Klein 4in1 electronics screwdriver with phillips, flat and torx mix, some cobra style pliers and mini Klein cutters. (i guess you can tell i like Klein)
all wrapped in the smallest Veto pro pac tool pouch they make.
for facility maintenance, that kit does 90% of my job.
I cant say enough about the Dewalt power screw driver. i think it is severely under appreciated. most people have never seen them. but it can drive 3" screws into solid wood and has a fine touch and control that is made for locksmiths and electrical work. I have been using it every work day for 5 years and on the same 2 original batteries. best power screwdriver on the market that i have seen.
if i want more torque than it can handle or space is limited then the Klein Switch is the king.
the bits snap in tight with no play at all even after many years of use.

oh, and the best thing about the Veto pouch is besides the great quality, i can hold it upside down and nothing falls out. even the bits stay firmly in place but easy to pull out due to a couple of small magnets that i dropped into the bottom of the pocket. you could hang over the side of a building with a harness and have it dangling from your side with no fear of anything dropping even when you pull other tools out. (sorry no video clip)

ca Offline Walley

Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 12:16:42 AM
Nice. and so shinny! 
 I have the MB1 as well. i know alot of people use them for misc. tools but I use it strictly for my meters, circuit testers and thermometers. i may get the MB2 soon because its a bit over loaded atm. and i have probes that barely fit.
I also have the original MC tech.
the tools i put in the MP1 seem to be just right for it, they all fit snug. even the pliers stay put because i put one handle through the D-loop. the only thing that has ever dropped out was the socket when i was whipping it around while showing someone how good it was lol.
for the tools that fit looser, you just have to take one small fridge magnet and jam it deep into the pocket.

and nice to see another dewalt driver! I only know one other person that has one and he bought it after he tried mine.

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 06:46:49 PM
I'm a bit driver fan myself and have accumulated possibly more than I strictly need. What I have that I like:

From left to right:
Wera Kraftform 821 (holds six bits; removable spring-loaded extensible blade with Rapidaptor)
Wiha System 6 (removable blade extends to varying lengths using ball detent locking system)
PB Swiss 8451.10-30 M
PB Swiss 6460 (Insider 1) (holds eight bits)
Wiha System 4 (takes 4mm precision bits; removable blade extends to varying lengths using ball detent locking system)
Wera 822 (takes 4mm precision bits)
Wera 815 (fixed Rapidaptor)
Wera 813
Felo Ergonic 438 stubby
All of these take standard 1/4" hex bits except where noted.

I think each of these works very well for its intended uses (other than the PB Swiss Insider 1 which I only recently got and haven't used yet, so can't really comment). The Weras are my overall favourites; I don't think the 822 or the 815 are readily available though, which is a shame as there is a gap in their range between the Kraftforms which are big and weighty and the 813 which is tiny (75mm long).

For bits I like the Wera 1/4" bits and Wiha's 4mm precision bits the best of what I have tried. I've heard good things of the PB Swiss bits and will be interested to see how they hold up in comparison.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:54:20 PM by fullbreakfast »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #36 on: February 04, 2020, 10:40:37 PM
I've gotten some use out of these tri-lobe drivers from Tekton;

And if we're showing off bit drivers, here's my Wera KK25;

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #37 on: December 18, 2020, 10:40:36 PM
My job's (for field work) screwdriver set:
- Wera Kraftform handle and sheath
- PB SWISS bits and bits holder

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:04:42 PM by wowaboro »

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #38 on: January 31, 2021, 02:28:16 AM
Wera were recommended to me and reasonable price, so bought this set.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline tankerG

Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 05:08:22 AM
Did somebody say EASYDRIVER?
IMG_7327.JPG
* IMG_7327.JPG (Filesize: 121.96 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 28, 2021, 06:18:57 AM
Got these little gems in an old machinists' tool box I bought several years ago.Some are marked Blue Point(a Snap-On secondary brand)and others are unmarked.The two that are made of nylon I believe are used while working on electrical components.The smaller one is marked,"Aircraft Spec".
To remove a screw,you turn the shaft while holding the end and this aligns the small section in the middle of the tip with the screw slot.Press onto the screw and start to loosen(counterclockwise)and the spring loaded center part of the tip locks the driver onto the screw.
To install a screw,fit the tip into the slot and turn the handle again counterclockwise which engages the center of the tip with the slot;holding the screw. Insert the screw into the hole and start to tighten(clockwise)and the spring loaded center aligns with the slot and releases from the head. Great for working with non-magnetic stainless steel screws.
BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 001.jpg
* BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 001.jpg (Filesize: 51.12 KB)
BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 002.jpg
* BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 002.jpg (Filesize: 32.87 KB)
BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 004.jpg
* BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 004.jpg (Filesize: 36.12 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 28, 2021, 06:21:39 AM
Here is the other picture of the tip in the unlocked position.
BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 003.jpg
* BluePointScrewHoldingDrivers 003.jpg (Filesize: 30.57 KB)

Offline bryan123

Reply #42 on: March 31, 2021, 01:44:17 AM
Lately I've been carrying the Chapman 2021 pocket screwdriver set.  Very impressive!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 31, 2021, 02:09:32 AM
Here is the other picture of the tip in the unlocked position.
Those are screw starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 31, 2021, 07:54:49 AM
Yes those are screw starters I still have two back in the day I used them when installing points in older cars.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 31, 2021, 06:48:12 PM
Yes those are screw starters I still have two back in the day I used them when installing points in older cars.

Mike

Thanks for the clarification;I'll have to see if they work on my car the next time I put points in it.I usually take the distributor out when I do that as it is easier to work on that way.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 11:43:27 PM
My dad was a mechanic back in the 1960s my dad taught me how to do tune ups he showed me using screw a starter for the point and condenser screws. If drop a screw in the distributor it can be a real pain to get it out.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 03, 2021, 02:07:43 AM

Mike
They are also invaluable when working on electronics when you dont want to drop a stubborn screw in the wrong place and when trying to get screws started really anywhere and dont want to have to try 100 times,resetting the screw on the driver every single try!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 08:16:52 PM
Got these little gems in an old machinists' tool box I bought several years ago.Some are marked Blue Point(a Snap-On secondary brand)and others are unmarked.The two that are made of nylon I believe are used while working on electrical components.The smaller one is marked,"Aircraft Spec".
To remove a screw,you turn the shaft while holding the end and this aligns the small section in the middle of the tip with the screw slot.Press onto the screw and start to loosen(counterclockwise)and the spring loaded center part of the tip locks the driver onto the screw.
To install a screw,fit the tip into the slot and turn the handle again counterclockwise which engages the center of the tip with the slot;holding the screw. Insert the screw into the hole and start to tighten(clockwise)and the spring loaded center aligns with the slot and releases from the head. Great for working with non-magnetic stainless steel screws.

I've read this before, a few times. Only today did I understand how it works.

:facepalm:

Cool tool! I'm still looking for an angled screwdriver, since I saw it here. Looks great, too! Thanks for sharing this, guys!

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD