Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman and victorinox

Offline purplefire

Leatherman and victorinox
on: May 10, 2019, 02:03:47 PM
Hello I'm amber from the UK

I have had the victorinox climber since last year and before that I just had the classic
.I just got the leatherman surge
I'm a wheelchair user. I now carry the surge and climber every day.
Before I got the surge I used to carry a screwdriver and bits plus Allen keys to fix my wheelchair while out and about  the surge is saving me space . I have the bit kit too. The bit kit is so light . !

The climber goes in my right pocket and I have a 3 meaters of paracord wound up on it as a lanyard so I don't drop it cordage is always handy ! I find the hook on the climber  very useful

In the photo I have a spanner that came with my chair I'm looking to get something more useful to replace.

IMG_20190510_124746__01 (1).jpg
* IMG_20190510_124746__01 (1).jpg (Filesize: 115.53 KB)
Screenshot_20190510-125035.jpg
* Screenshot_20190510-125035.jpg (Filesize: 59.94 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Leatherman and victorinox
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:16:14 PM
Hi, Amber!  Welcome to :MTO:

The spanner you've shown in the photo looks like it is made specific for the wheelchair, were you planning to find something more versatile or something more robust?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:20:07 PM
Welcome to the boards Amber.   :cheers:   :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:30:01 PM
Hi Amber and welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:57:11 PM
Welcome.  The spanner does look specific for the chair  :think:.  A pocket wrench 2 might work  :dunno:.  Glad the Surge is working out for you.  The Climber makes a great addition  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 03:04:23 PM
Welcome to MT.o, Amber! :cheers:

Heck of a kit there with the Surge and Climber.  :like:

I wonder if replacing the proprietary chair tool with the three sizes of dedicated-quality combination wrenches would do the trick. :think:

Another option may be an adjustable wrench, but one that would work, even if the bolt were damaged a bit?
https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Tools-01-120-8-Inch-Wrench/dp/B00E6TAB4G
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 04:27:26 PM
That looks a handy tool  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 04:38:10 PM
Welcome Amber  :tu:

In response to some of the suggestions, the wheelchairs I know tend to have little space around bolt heads and such...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 05:14:03 PM
Socket and ratchet set(1/4" setup)? :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline purplefire

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 01:13:59 AM
Could you show me a photo of the combination whrenches?  . Im looking for things I carry easy and will help with all kinds of repairs not just my chair . I have a motorbike too :) I walk with crutches short distance like 5 10 meaters
Thank you
Welcome to MT.o, Amber! :cheers:

Heck of a kit there with the Surge and Climber.  :like:

I wonder if replacing the proprietary chair tool with the three sizes of dedicated-quality combination wrenches would do the trick. :think:

Another option may be an adjustable wrench, but one that would work, even if the bolt were damaged a bit?
https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Tools-01-120-8-Inch-Wrench/dp/B00E6TAB4G

Offline purplefire

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 01:14:33 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 02:24:12 AM
Could you show me a photo of the combination whrenches?  . Im looking for things I carry easy and will help with all kinds of repairs not just my chair . I have a motorbike too :) I walk with crutches short distance like 5 10 meaters
Thank you
Sure thing, Amber.  :cheers:

Something like this set.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Stubby-Combination-Wrench-Keeper/dp/B01EHTVZV2/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=set+tekton+wrench&qid=1557534166&s=gateway&sr=8-14

But, D_T mentioned confined spaces. I am not a mechanic by any means, but does your motor bike have a lot of recessed nuts and bolts?
Maybe a nice socket set, but with the pieces you won't need culled out?
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4-Inch-Socket-6-Point-32-Inch/dp/B00RCYX504/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=socket+set&qid=1557534097&s=gateway&sr=8-14

Not suggesting hauling everything around, but perhaps pick and choose what is needed and put together a tool bag of sorts. :)

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 03:04:21 AM
Welcome to MTO, glad to have you here. I love my Surge too and find it incredibly useful.  Maybe something like this if the bolts are accessible. xie 23 in 1 Adjustable Multi Functional Flexible Type Wrench 7-19 mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7N4XL3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_q7H1Cb02024QD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline purplefire

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 03:11:03 AM
Thank you. I just call them normal spanners here.
Got some with my bike . I think the 1/4 sockets mentioned by someone would be easy and small to carry on my chair :) there are some things I always have with me. Insulation tape is handy to have ! Got duct tape on the bike . Also have a gas stove in the bag on my chair :) that gets used a lot . To make coffee and to heat hot water Bottels . Being in a chair not moving much I get cold.

Sure thing, Amber.  :cheers:

Something like this set.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Stubby-Combination-Wrench-Keeper/dp/B01EHTVZV2/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=set+tekton+wrench&qid=1557534166&s=gateway&sr=8-14

But, D_T mentioned confined spaces. I am not a mechanic by any means, but does your motor bike have a lot of recessed nuts and bolts?
Maybe a nice socket set, but with the pieces you won't need culled out?
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4-Inch-Socket-6-Point-32-Inch/dp/B00RCYX504/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=socket+set&qid=1557534097&s=gateway&sr=8-14

Not suggesting hauling everything around, but perhaps pick and choose what is needed and put together a tool bag of sorts. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 05:28:25 AM
Thank you. I just call them normal spanners here.
Got some with my bike . I think the 1/4 sockets mentioned by someone would be easy and small to carry on my chair :) there are some things I always have with me. Insulation tape is handy to have ! Got duct tape on the bike . Also have a gas stove in the bag on my chair :) that gets used a lot . To make coffee and to heat hot water Bottels . Being in a chair not moving much I get cold.
Maybe check out the LM with Coffee and SAK with Coffee threads. Coffee seems to be the second most consumed beverage by MT.o members. :D

Cool the bike came with a set! I still have a problem with remembering to call those wrench sets the U.K. name of spanners. :facepalm: :rofl:

The 1/4" socket sets are great. I've seen a few members use their LM bit extender with a 1/4" hex to 1/4" driver adapter before. I think some small socket sets include that piece.
72110.jpg
* 72110.jpg (Filesize: 54.81 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 05:45:54 AM
Hello and welcome Amber !     :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 06:40:42 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Amber :cheers: Hope you can find something more to your liking to replace your spanner :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%