Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gathering thoughts/tools/materials for first mod

comis · 37 · 1378

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Gathering thoughts/tools/materials for first mod
on: May 10, 2019, 06:14:15 PM
Hi, everyone.

Over time, I had the pleasure to have bought SAK mods from our talented resident modders, but I always felt there was this gap of my SAK/MT experience without trying it myself.

I had done fair amount of reading, and before plunging head in, just like to gather some thoughts/advice, and make sure I have what it takes to make them happen.  Please share your comment/advice/correct if wrong:

Currently, some of my projects I am interested in, I probably will start new post to ask/update everyone as I start making these projects:

A) Mountain Explorer -- put Mag/inline Phillips into Mountaineer or Metal saw in Explorer

B) Alox Mountaineer/Mountain Explorer -- Put Metal saw and/or Inline phillips(and even magnifier) into Pioneer X

C) Potential different blade shape, made from steel sheets(stock removal)/mod from other knives

D) Other basic hobby knife making

Questions about tools(this list is not exhaustive), I have rather limited space in an apartment, so definitely prefer tools that take up space if possible:

Tools:

Power Drill
--Don't have any, was planning to get one for home improvement anyway(not the impact driver, just regular cordless drill/driver).  Any suggestion or features to avoid?

Drill bits
--Carbide 2mm? how many is enough?

Peen Hammer
--4oz-8oz I read, any "face" size preference?

Jeweler Saw
--May need these for project C, any good recommendation? 

Jig
--don't seem to be 'necessary', but it does hold peen pin/layers in place which can really help

Nice to have

Drill press/Power drill stand
--Is a drill press necessary to dissemble 93mm 3mm pins?  How about enlarging the 91mm tool pivot holes to 3mm?
--Any drill stand recommendation?  I might want to get one, but afraid it wobbles and ends up wasting money for a dream

Angle grinder
--Stock removal or even knife profiling for project C or D, will smaller disc size be better?

Belt sanders
--seems like a great tool, harbor freight 2x30 looks popular, but my apartment space is very limited, any portable alternative to this?

Materials:

Pivots(this is a huge topic, probably worthy of its own thread)
--I know it is not good to pre-peen, but curious did anyone have experience of loose layers due to peen failing?
--Will Peen pin able to hold up to 4 layers of tools in 93mm?
--hiraethus, bless his soul, were able to source some different pins for peening, which I am going to ask him soon
--PTRSAK found some cheap pivots in this link, but I wonder did that held up ok in the end?
--From Jaya_man post here, threaded pivots seems to be a very rare commodity here.  Will I be at all possible to buy some from our resident mod experts here?

Liners
--Judging from the two SAK mods I plan to do above, they are mostly 'transplant' job, so I probably don't need new/custom liners, right?

Backsprings
--For 93mm, I read metal saw should fit with farmer saw spring, and for inline phillips/openers, installing two 93 opener springs in reverse might do the trick...

91/93mm tools
--I will probably need to sacrifice new SAKs to make mod, but just don't wanna destroy perfectly good SAKs for parts, anyone have spare new parts around/sell, please do kindly let me know.

Phew...this is a long post, a sincere big thank you for anyone clicking in and helping to say the least!   :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:32:27 PM by comis »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Gathering thoughts/tools/materials for first mod
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:17:15 PM
Briefly from the beach ;) :

93mm alox pivots are much harder than the brass based 91mm pivots. This would make a clean removal of the pivots, I.e. without damaging the scales, tools or liners almost impossible without a good quality drill press IMHO. A drill stand for a household electric drill will probably have too much wobble - at least mine did before I retired it.

Belt sander: not vital IMHO if you have a bench grinder, but nice to have. Proxxon sell a nice portable one.

A Dremel is a very useful addition. With cutting discs it becomes unbeatable for trimming at the SAK scale of jobs, rendering a full size angle grinder redundant.

Buy lots of spares for your carbide drills. Grind the inserts, if necessary, to the right size, this may be way off (e.g. 3.2 mm on a nominal 3 mm bit). But use these only for lo-rev drilling of hardened steel (no percussion ;)), not for pivots.

Peening hammer 4 or 8 ounces is OK. Try a combo flat and rounded peening head. Don't forget the anvil or such like.

If you have a small lathe, making your own screw pivots becomes less of a rocket science. But 4 layers is not a problem for peened pivots (even 91mm brass - heck, I made my CyberChamp by peening brass pivots and this has 10 layers or so). I haven't peened any Alox models though, different pivot material, much stiffer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:28:48 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:26:10 PM
Additional info: it could become necessary in some cases to make your own liners. This is what I did for a stiffer central (stainless steel) liner on my 8 (?) layer Alox Cobalt Deluxe Constructor. I believe normal liner thickness is 0.5 or 0.6 mm. Sheet shears and/or a jig saw with metal cutting blade may come in handy.

Then assorted files, sandpaper etc.

A jig can be cheaply made from wood (not plywood, use something better) and will allow compatibility testing of springs and tools so that you can make adjustments if necessary.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:50:57 PM
Dutch_Tooler, thank you so so much for the advise!  It's great knowing I am not doing this alone! :cheers:

Briefly from the beach ;) :

93mm alox pivots are much harder than the brass based 91mm pivots. This would make a clean removal of the pivots, I.e. without damaging the scales, tools or liners almost impossible without a good quality drill press IMHO. A drill stand for a household electric drill will probably have too much wobble - at least mine did before I retired it.

Thank you for this confirmation, I watched and read many reviews, there is this consistent worry that it wobble too much.

Belt sander: not vital IMHO if you have a bench grinder, but nice to have. Proxxon sell a nice portable one.

Gonna look into this, I saw most knife makers are using the belt sander to make the bevels, and maybe the grinder to do stock removal.  I am no where near to make knives by hands, but it will really be tremendous help to have power tools to make bevel(in future).

Buy lots of spares for your carbide drills. Grind the inserts, if necessary, to the right size, this may be way off (e.g. 3.2 mm on a nominal 3 mm bit). But use these only for lo-rev drilling of hardened steel (no percussion ;) ), not for pivots.
Wait...I am totally new to this, so I gonna try to make sense of this.  When you say grind the inserts, are you talking about using the drill bits?  Also, I was constantly under the impression that the drill press was great for drilling out the 93mm pivots, boy I'm kinda confused here... :think:

If you have a small lathe, making your own screw pivots becomes less of a rocket science. But 4 layers is not a problem for peened pivots (even 91mm brass - heck, I made my CyberChamp by peening brass pivots and this has 10 layers or so). I haven't peened any Alox models though, different pivot material, much stiffer.

A mini-lathe I wish to have...I am total newbie in that regards, and whatever very little I briefly learn about lathe, that was some odd 30 years ago...but it is encouraging to know even 91mm brass hold up to a 10 layers!!

Additional info: it could become necessary in some cases to make your own liners. This is what I did for a stiffer central (stainless steel) liner on my 8 (?) layer Alox Cobalt Deluxe Constructor. I believe normal liner thickness is 0.5 or 0.6 mm. Sheet shears and/or a jig saw with metal cutting blade may come in handy.

IIRC, I did come across your post when researching, I will be sure I double read it to get more from it. 

I did go and re-read both posts you made about the CyberChamp and MegaAlox, both are great reference for moddings!  :tu:

Again, thank you so much, really appreciate all the help I can get! :salute: :cheers: :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:46:53 PM by comis »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 10:49:46 PM
Ah, I see my comment regarding the carbide tipped drill bits was a bit unclear. I'll try again:

First off you don't need these for the pivots, not even the nickel alloy ones of the 93mm aloxes; normal HSS bits will do for these. A centre punch and/or centering drill bit is nice for good positioning of the hole on the head.

I believe the main end pivots on 93 km aloxes are 3 mm and the centre pivot 2.5. These are 2.5 and 2.2 mm for 91 mm models respectively. Don't use bigger bits, smaller bits might even be sufficient and will aid in avoiding damage to scales, liners etc.

What I meant with the inserts applies to carbide tipped bits only, which you need for hardened tool implements e.g. for putting a 91 mm inline Phillips into a 93 mm alox, to widen its hole from 2.5 to 3 mm. The actual size of the hole you'd make with a "3 mm" carbide tipped bit is usually actually closer to 3.2 mm. In order to arrive at precisely 3 mm you need to carefully grind away some of the lateral, slightly protruding faces of the carbide steel insert that is located in the drill tip, e.g. with a bench grinder or Dremel. This needs to be symmetric or close to this, otherwise you'll get a wobbling drill bit, but this isn't overly critical as the drilling must be at low revs.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:09:04 PM

Ah, I see my comment regarding the carbide tipped drill bits was a bit unclear. I'll try again:

First off you don't need these for the pivots, not even the nickel alloy ones of the 93mm aloxes; normal HSS bits will do for these. A centre punch and/or centering drill bit is nice for good positioning of the hole on the head.

I believe the main end pivots on 93 km aloxes are 3 mm and the centre pivot 2.5. These are 2.5 and 2.2 mm for 91 mm models respectively. Don't use bigger bits, smaller bits might even be sufficient and will aid in avoiding damage to scales, liners etc.

What I meant with the inserts applies to carbide tipped bits only, which you need for hardened tool implements e.g. for putting a 91 mm inline Phillips into a 93 mm alox, to widen its hole from 2.5 to 3 mm. The actual size of the hole you'd make with a "3 mm" carbide tipped bit is usually actually closer to 3.2 mm. In order to arrive at precisely 3 mm you need to carefully grind away some of the lateral, slightly protruding faces of the carbide steel insert that is located in the drill tip, e.g. with a bench grinder or Dremel. This needs to be symmetric or close to this, otherwise you'll get a wobbling drill bit, but this isn't overly critical as the drilling must be at low revs.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for coming back in to explain!  That's crystal clear! :cheers:  

Though my space at the apartment is very limited, it looks like a drill press is necessary.  Hopefully I could find a good one without incurring too much cost, I saw Syph worked with a brand called MasterCraft and looks decent to work with.  The trouble here is not lack of options for tools, but often not with good quality. :facepalm:

Anyhow, good day to you sir and thanks again! :hatsoff:

Meanwhile if anyone have any words of advise, please do feel free to share, I'm all ears! :salute:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:37:40 PM
+1 to drill press for drilling in metal. You'll save yourself drill bits, frustrations, time and blood pressure - it is almost a bargain! (And some stuff is just next to impossible without one).

A little comment on making precise sized holes - normal drill bits tend to make holes a little bit off size wise, and often make slightly triangular holes in thin stock. Putting some sacrificial wood on both sides of thin metal tend to help.

For precisely sized holes get a slightly undersize drill bit and a matching reamer for the size you want. Reamers in the sizes we talk about with SAKs are fairly inexpensive.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:44:15 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 03:38:34 AM
Thank you for coming back in to explain!  That's crystal clear! :cheers:  

Though my space at the apartment is very limited, it looks like a drill press is necessary.  Hopefully I could find a good one without incurring too much cost, I saw Syph worked with a brand called MasterCraft and looks decent to work with.  The trouble here is not lack of options for tools, but often not with good quality. :facepalm:

Anyhow, good day to you sir and thanks again! :hatsoff:

Meanwhile if anyone have any words of advise, please do feel free to share, I'm all ears! :salute:

You're welcome, glad to be of help :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 04:17:53 AM
+1 to drill press for drilling in metal. You'll save yourself drill bits, frustrations, time and blood pressure - it is almost a bargain! (And some stuff is just next to impossible without one).

A little comment on making precise sized holes - normal drill bits tend to make holes a little bit off size wise, and often make slightly triangular holes in thin stock. Putting some sacrificial wood on both sides of thin metal tend to help.

For precisely sized holes get a slightly undersize drill bit and a matching reamer for the size you want. Reamers in the sizes we talk about with SAKs are fairly inexpensive.

Looks like getting a drill press to make precision holes is now a must have, and the reamer indeed is a great idea too!(Didn't think about that at all :facepalm: )
  Thank you! :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 04:21:01 AM
You're welcome, glad to be of help :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers:  Now just gonna start looking up good solid drill press...

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 07:57:44 AM

:cheers: :cheers:  Now just gonna start looking up good solid drill press...

For the sizes discussed here you might also want to consider (used) small lathes. Most have some way of sticking your very non-round piece to either the chuck or some milling attachment - either way will also work as a drill press. A small lathe will likely have less run out than any inexpensive drill press. (If you have a choice a collet setup will be more precise than a Jacobs chuck).

Than again, there is precision and there is precision - for practical purposes it will likely be next to no difference between a perfect and a slightly off one. Just as a reference for perfect a free running sliding H7/F7 hole/shaft tolerance for 3mm is 0 to +0.01mm for the hole, and -0.006 to -0.016mm for the shaft.

If you have little space, lots of patience, and feel a bit more exotic then you might want to go more look up DIY EDM (electro discharge machining). They will make a silly precise hole in anything conductive. Hardened or not makes no difference at all. (Please don't electrocute yourself or burn down the house).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:11:11 AM
For the sizes discussed here you might also want to consider (used) small lathes. Most have some way of sticking your very non-round piece to either the chuck or some milling attachment - either way will also work as a drill press. A small lathe will likely have less run out than any inexpensive drill press. (If you have a choice a collet setup will be more precise than a Jacobs chuck).

Than again, there is precision and there is precision - for practical purposes it will likely be next to no difference between a perfect and a slightly off one. Just as a reference for perfect a free running sliding H7/F7 hole/shaft tolerance for 3mm is 0 to +0.01mm for the hole, and -0.006 to -0.016mm for the shaft.

If you have little space, lots of patience, and feel a bit more exotic then you might want to go more look up DIY EDM (electro discharge machining). They will make a silly precise hole in anything conductive. Hardened or not makes no difference at all. (Please don't electrocute yourself or burn down the house).

I am totally newbie when it comes to machine shop, and definitely thank you for sharing your tips with me!  :cheers:

In my research on tools, I have been focusing on hand power drill and drill press, and only seen some YT footage on mini lathe...but it does give me the feeling that it might be a hit and miss thing in finding a good mini-lathe. 

To a layman like myself, I have a feeling it might be more difficult to get good at using the lathe than a simple drill press.  However, I did read that people could bore threads out of brass rod for pivots...which sounds like a dream.  Given my very limited knowledge and space, just don't know whether it might be an overkill to get one.  Really gonna research hard on this one, even before thinking to get one.

It sounded like the 'collet' setup will hold the bit better than a 'jacob chuck' setup, is this also true for drill press?

Final paragraph just totally went over my head...I know what S Club 7 is, but I ain't gonna even pretend I know what H7/F7 is... :facepalm: :P

* download (1).jpg (Filesize: 13.65 KB)

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 10:56:53 AM
In my research on tools, I have been focusing on hand power drill and drill press, and only seen some YT footage on mini lathe...but it does give me the feeling that it might be a hit and miss thing in finding a good mini-lathe.

My impression is that the inexpensive ones from China is a bit hit and miss. That said most say usable if it works - apparently it helps to mount it on something stiff and sturdy. Personally I would look for a decent used US or European brand one - one the reasons being that the heap and accessories and tools that often come with a used one easily cost as much as the lathe itself. I

I see you are in Hong Kong (?) so I get the tight space thing - the IKEA in Hong Kong was the most compact one I've ever visited!:D If you have a tight space you might want to look into used watchmakers lathes - they are made for small stuff, and are quite delicate themselves. Be aware though that some of those don't have much power at all, and some even lack a normal toolholder.

Used lathes are a bit hit and miss too, but a hit can be a real hit - many sellers are third-parties which have no idea what they are selling. A nice reference for machine tools is lathes.co.uk .

The problem with a cheap drill press is that they will surely be decent at the press thing, but it might run a relatively big runout. For many tasks where these are used that doesn't matter much (wood), but for precise holes in metal that might be an issue. In particular if running carbide tools which really don't like shocks. A metal lathe on the other hand is made for a low runout and to handle metal level precision. And if you need other round parts anyway... (And while a lathe can be pushed into servise as a drill press, the other way around is usually not true).

To a layman like myself, I have a feeling it might be more difficult to get good at using the lathe than a simple drill press.  However, I did read that people could bore threads out of brass rod for pivots...which sounds like a dream.  Given my very limited knowledge and space, just don't know whether it might be an overkill to get one.  Really gonna research hard on this one, even before thinking to get one.

To make tiny threads, even with a lathe, the easiest solution is die and taps. Having a lathe helps to align and move things straight, but it is fairly easy to make a little jig and do it manually too. Just making a tight straight hole in something to fit either the material or tap will help a lot. That said threaded pivot will be weaker than a similar sized riveted one.

Getting a lathe to make a few holes for a SAK is clearly overkill. Then again you might end up making more stuff or get a new hobby :)

It sounded like the 'collet' setup will hold the bit better than a 'jacob chuck' setup, is this also true for drill press?

Yes. Most drill presses only use Jacobs chucks though. Again, it says something about the precision it is intended for. Mind you, I do think that precision will still do fine for a SAK. If in doubt do undersize and get a reamer :) Precision is a very deep and expensive rabbit hole, and it is important to know good enough. But if some collets happen to come with a used machine then great. Good collets tend to be expensive. 

Final paragraph just totally went over my head...I know what S Club 7 is, but I ain't gonna even pretend I know what H7/F7 is... :facepalm: :P

H7/F7, and other various combinations like it, are tolerance standards for fitting parts together. Nothing is truly made to ideal measures so they help provide working tolerances. Importantly they also help to establish good solutions for various kinds of fits and uses. For instance some will want a hole to lock onto a shaft and not move or rotate afterwards. Some might want to be able to rotate and slide it tightly (like the H7/F7). Others might need to be able to easily disassemble and reassemble often. And so on. Anyway, it was just meant as an example of tolerances for a nice tight fit. (Thus practically speaking a gap between hole and shaft of some 0.005 to 0.02 mm will be tight but still rotate.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 11:20:10 AM
My impression is that the inexpensive ones from China is a bit hit and miss. That said most say usable if it works - apparently it helps to mount it on something stiff and sturdy. Personally I would look for a decent used US or European brand one - one the reasons being that the heap and accessories and tools that often come with a used one easily cost as much as the lathe itself. I

I see you are in Hong Kong (?) so I get the tight space thing - the IKEA in Hong Kong was the most compact one I've ever visited!:D If you have a tight space you might want to look into used watchmakers lathes - they are made for small stuff, and are quite delicate themselves. Be aware though that some of those don't have much power at all, and some even lack a normal toolholder.

Used lathes are a bit hit and miss too, but a hit can be a real hit - many sellers are third-parties which have no idea what they are selling. A nice reference for machine tools is lathes.co.uk .

The problem with a cheap drill press is that they will surely be decent at the press thing, but it might run a relatively big runout. For many tasks where these are used that doesn't matter much (wood), but for precise holes in metal that might be an issue. In particular if running carbide tools which really don't like shocks. A metal lathe on the other hand is made for a low runout and to handle metal level precision. And if you need other round parts anyway... (And while a lathe can be pushed into servise as a drill press, the other way around is usually not true).

To make tiny threads, even with a lathe, the easiest solution is die and taps. Having a lathe helps to align and move things straight, but it is fairly easy to make a little jig and do it manually too. Just making a tight straight hole in something to fit either the material or tap will help a lot. That said threaded pivot will be weaker than a similar sized riveted one.

Getting a lathe to make a few holes for a SAK is clearly overkill. Then again you might end up making more stuff or get a new hobby :)

Yes. Most drill presses only use Jacobs chucks though. Again, it says something about the precision it is intended for. Mind you, I do think that precision will still do fine for a SAK. If in doubt do undersize and get a reamer :) Precision is a very deep and expensive rabbit hole, and it is important to know good enough. But if some collets happen to come with a used machine then great. Good collets tend to be expensive. 

H7/F7, and other various combinations like it, are tolerance standards for fitting parts together. Nothing is truly made to ideal measures so they help provide working tolerances. Importantly they also help to establish good solutions for various kinds of fits and uses. For instance some will want a hole to lock onto a shaft and not move or rotate afterwards. Some might want to be able to rotate and slide it tightly (like the H7/F7). Others might need to be able to easily disassemble and reassemble often. And so on. Anyway, it was just meant as an example of tolerances for a nice tight fit. (Thus practically speaking a gap between hole and shaft of some 0.005 to 0.02 mm will be tight but still rotate.

Thanks again!  :tu:

I think that's one thing I do envy of my friends in US and Europe, that many machine tools could be brought/shipped/traded at a relatively reasonable cost.  And as you have mentioned, living/working space in HK is genuinely really tight, and being a metropolis, people have less leisure time to enjoy their hobbies and space to do it.  It really is not easy to pick up any DIY hobbies.

Watchmaker Lathe?  Not that I am making anything big and needs powerful machine, but I figure even for a hobbyist/weekend warrior maybe it need to be a certain size to make it worth the money/space.  :think:

The link you gave is massive, I think it will be really intriguing for someone whom are serious about the craft.

I totally agree with the cheap drill press comment...but like Lathe, it is probably a hit/miss thing with Chinese brands.  So far, I only see a Chinese brand called "West Lake" which has distributor locally and have good feedbacks from local DIYers.  Here are some info about it:

https://triple.com.hk/?s=WEST+LAKE&post_type=product

I am thinking about the ZHX-13 13mm drill press or the bigger brother 16mm ZQ-4116 ZQ4116... :pok: :think:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 01:13:19 PM
I think that's one thing I do envy of my friends in US and Europe, that many machine tools could be brought/shipped/traded at a relatively reasonable cost.

Well, you have nothing to envy me for sure. Nothing reasonable about shipping costs here.

Watchmaker Lathe?  Not that I am making anything big and needs powerful machine, but I figure even for a hobbyist/weekend warrior maybe it need to be a certain size to make it worth the money/space.  :think:

Some are quite decent and some excellent for small size work. And sometimes they show up for song and dance. Maybe because there are less watchmakers these days?

On another note you might want to take a look at the Sherline and Taig mini-lathes. They have many different configurations, and can be reconfigured as small mills too. And they take collets. (Go for ER collets if you want something alround). They are tiny and budget priced, but some people make incredible stuff with them. Worth googling around a bit - surely there must be some in HK as well.

The link you gave is massive, I think it will be really intriguing for someone whom are serious about the craft.

That link is very very useful if you consider used manual machinery. 

I totally agree with the cheap drill press comment...but like Lathe, it is probably a hit/miss thing with Chinese brands.  So far, I only see a Chinese brand called "West Lake" which has distributor locally and have good feedbacks from local DIYers.  Here are some info about it:

https://triple.com.hk/?s=WEST+LAKE&post_type=product

I guess you wont be able to actually test it first, so some ways to sort chiffs from chaffs might be the common price and user experiences. If it comes with a test certificate that is a very good sign but not common on inexpensive stuff. (Some cheap stuff do come with a test certificate - the problem is that all the machines have the same test results...  :whistle: ). For a drill press a geared head is a good sign - metal gears better than plastic gears of course. (One sacrificial plastic gear might be ok). A collet option is a good sign, the same with a cooling system, and if it has the ability to do threading that is promising too.

The thing is though - pretty much any drill press makes wonder compared to freehand, and for SAK mods it should do fine.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 02:25:34 PM
I bow to your greater training and experience Vidar :salute:

I hadn't thought about using the lathe as a drill press for instance :facepalm: and of course it could be used for that, given a good way of fixing the object to the sled... even with auto advance included for free :D

That said, the more sophisticated, the better is of course true, but perhaps liquid cooling attachments (nozzles and recirc pumps) is pushing the needs beyond those needed for DIY in the SAK and multitool area. And at the precision we are talking about, a Jacobs chuck will do the job admirably and collets will not be strictly necessary IMHO. Depends a bit on how much more you plan to possibly do in future, I guess...
Sourcing sufficiently precise basic machinery is a real concern, I can see that, especially in the smaller sizes for DIY and smaller workshops. My lathe is an Austrian Emco Compact 5 (alas without the hard to get milling attachment) which should suit DIY needs but is no.longer available new.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:45 PM
Well, you have nothing to envy me for sure. Nothing reasonable about shipping costs here.
:facepalm:

The thing is though - pretty much any drill press makes wonder compared to freehand, and for SAK mods it should do fine.
That's a comforting thought...I think as a hobbyist and a total newbie, it might be prudent to grow my skill before acquiring heavy tools I have yet idea how to make good use of. 
And a big thank you for sharing all those info, this experience will be of great reference down the line.  :salute: [size=78%] [/size]

I hadn't thought about using the lathe as a drill press for instance :facepalm: and of course it could be used for that, given a good way of fixing the object to the sled... even with auto advance included for free :D

That said, the more sophisticated, the better is of course true, but perhaps liquid cooling attachments (nozzles and recirc pumps) is pushing the needs beyond those needed for DIY in the SAK and multitool area. And at the precision we are talking about, a Jacobs chuck will do the job admirably and collets will not be strictly necessary IMHO. Depends a bit on how much more you plan to possibly do in future, I guess...
Sourcing sufficiently precise basic machinery is a real concern, I can see that, especially in the smaller sizes for DIY and smaller workshops. My lathe is an Austrian Emco Compact 5 (alas without the hard to get milling attachment) which should suit DIY needs but is no.longer available new.

Vidat and Dutch_Tooler, come to think about it, since you guys have much more experience in lathe and all things machine, how difficult is it to make suitable M2 and M1.5 screw pivots for 93mm?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 03:22:22 PM
Easy, at least for the M2 I use. Drill 3mm or 2.5 mm brass stock to nominally 1.6 mm (1.5 will work too) in a lathe at one end (for accuracy use a centering drill first), cut off at desired length, reverse and put in chuck, drill other end, tap M2 (for brass and good screw retention just using the #1 tap will do; you can drive the chuck and hold the tap holder if you feel brave enough), reverse, tap M2 first end, ready. Sequence may vary slightly.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 03:28:50 PM
Easy, at least for the M2 I use. Drill 3mm or 2.5 mm brass stock to nominally 1.6 mm (1.5 will work too) in a lathe at one end (for accuracy use a centering drill first), cut off at desired length, reverse and put in chuck, drill other end, tap M2 (for brass and good screw retention just using the #1 tap will do; you can drive the chuck and hold the tap holder if you feel brave enough), reverse, tap M2 first end, ready. Sequence may vary slightly.

Great to hear it!  From what I read, I had a feeling that not too many of us are making these rare items, and it is such a relieve to find someone who can make it with ease.  :tu: :cheers:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 03:53:32 PM

Yes, I just meant is indicators of more sophisticated gear if he came across something used. Yes, a Jacobs chuck should indeed to fine for this. :cheers:

I've bought most of the machines I have used, avoiding dealers, and I've rarely had any regrets with that. Price tends to be a fraction of new and used usually comes with most of the basic accessories and then some. The main issue is often documentation and spare parts if needed, so well known brands with live distributors are preferred. 

I actually don't have a drill press these days. Had to move to a smaller place some years ago so I gave it away. 

I've never used en Emco Compact 5, but it gets high praise everywhere I see. Makes me wonder why they stopped making it? The CNC version of that is sometimes for sale fairly inexpensive sometimes - even for less than the manual version. I guess non-standard controls, collets or something like that might explain that?

For small stuff I got an Cortini H105 CNC. Still with working original control system! Very precise but not all that much torque. For bigger stuff I have an Nakamura TW10, but sadly I don't have room inside for it these days. Hopefully still ok, and some beautiful day I hope to have it operational again.

That's a comforting thought...I think as a hobbyist and a total newbie, it might be prudent to grow my skill before acquiring heavy tools I have yet idea how to make good use of. 
And a big thank you for sharing all those info, this experience will be of great reference down the line.  :salute: [size=78%] [/size]

Just start somewhere. :)

Come to think of it there might be something like a maker space in Hong Kong? Some of those places seem to have lots of equipment people can use. Probably also with some people who knows who to use it :)

Vidat and Dutch_Tooler, come to think about it, since you guys have much more experience in lathe and all things machine, how difficult is it to make suitable M2 and M1.5 screw pivots for 93mm?

I actually don't have a 93mm, so a bit lacking when it comes to their pivots..

That said I wouldn't make M1.5 simply because it is so little material in the center of the screw. The center of an M1.5 is just about ø1.25mm - that isn't much material to actually hold stuff.

For M2, if you manage to make a 1.6mm straight hole in the center of the pivot pin you should be off to a good start. Make sure to make the hole long enough to also have room for chips from the tap later. Then use a two or three step tap set and some cutting oil. The difficult part if doing this freehand is to get the tap perfectly straight down the hole. A little jig consisting of a precise steering hole can help. Or if you do get a drill press just put the tap in that for guidance and rotate manually.

Back out a bit for every rotation to break chips. Take your time - a broken tap might not come out willingly or otherwise.

I see Dutch already answered while I was typing here :)  Just using the #1 tap for screw detention in brass sounds interesting - I'll give that a try sometime. :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 04:13:14 PM

Not really much to bow to! You should have seen my former collection of "things gone spectacularly wrong and bits of metal which tried to maim or kill me". That is not counting various attempts of electrocuting myself, setting myself on fire, chemical exposures or doing stupid things with heavy machinery.  :ahhh Training is clearly lacking, although I guess that might count as experience :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 04:23:07 PM
 :cheers:

Your remarks about not trying M1.5, leaving enough hole depth for tapping residue and retracting the tap every few turns are spot on, sorry for omitting them in my list.

As to precision, even drilling and tapping slightly off-axis isn't going to break the bank as long as you don't exaggerate. In addition, what I have found necessary anyway is to make the pivots a little bit longer than necessary, then shortening them to the required length while in position in the knife using a drill bit that has the size of the (tapered) screw head (4.5 mm IIRC) to match its taper and make the head's outer surface flush with the scale (by hand, i.e. drill bit in hand driven chuck and using utmost care).

This is also one of the reasons that I can't simply work to order - each pivot is fitted in place.

Edit: don't forget the Loctite...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 05:25:30 PM
As to precision, even drilling and tapping slightly off-axis isn't going to break the bank as long as you don't exaggerate.

True. I guess I've just had some traumatizing manual tapping experiences, and thus I go about things really carefully if I have to do it. Probably too careful if one considers what the machines do in comparison. I guess I should propose a law: "The more expensive or more finished a part is, the greater the chance of a tap breaking inside a hole". It is right up there with single socks!

A subsupplier many years ago just put a tapping head on a normal hand drill, eyed it at about 90 degrees, and tapped every hole in sight in a real hurry. That was in aluminium though. Still worked amazingly well - you couldn't even drill at that speed. 
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 05:40:57 PM
Come to think of it there might be something like a maker space in Hong Kong? Some of those places seem to have lots of equipment people can use. Probably also with some people who knows who to use it :)

I looked pretty hard for that, but mostly what I see are some casual 'workshop', where people just show up for an hour or two, and expect something coming out from it(Watch band making, carved spoon with tools, etc).  There might be some classes offered in University, but you probably have to enroll to get to play with the toys, and I'm not sure there is access to the machines afterwards. 

I guess it is the 'instant noodle' culture, where people just want instant gratification without putting having to put in any real work. :whistle:

I don't know whether I can speak for other beginner modders, but to me, modding is not just about making desirable products, but it is also the things you learn and people you get to know which is an adventure in  itself.  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 05:46:17 PM
The tapping of pivot sounds rather intense, and am not sure it is way beyond me...maybe someday, if I got hooked so deep that I got a mini lathe, even then I am not sure it will be easy to do.  :think:

So if I got a decent enough drill press, sounded like drilling out all the tools in the 93mm tools and using the 1/8 pivots from knifekits.com is the way to go...or if I am lucky enough, finding someone who could make those tapped pivots and sell it.  :pok: :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 06:00:27 PM
The tapping of pivot sounds rather intense, and am not sure it is way beyond me...maybe someday, if I got hooked so deep that I got a mini lathe, even then I am not sure it will be easy to do.  :think:

Ah, just find something to practice a bit on - maybe with some bigger holes at first. There really isn't much to it, and afterwards you'll be making threads and screw stuff together all over the place  :D

So if I got a decent enough drill press, sounded like drilling out all the tools in the 93mm tools and using the 1/8 pivots from knifekits.com is the way to go...or if I am lucky enough, finding someone who could make those tapped pivots and sell it.  :pok: :D

If the pivot is 3mm just get something actually 3mm? Come to think of it, check out something like "EDM drilling electrode single hole 3.0". A bit of search and you have a some straight rods at exactly 3.0 outer diameter with a ready hole throughout the middle. You just need to make it a little bigger, but it will provide steering. For example this place:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32681859509.html?productId=32681859509&productSubject=Ziyang-Brass-Electrode-Tube-Single-Hole-3-0-500mm-for-EDM-Drilling-Machine (Make sure to specify "single hole" as for 3mm multi-hole is more common).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 06:05:15 PM
On that latter note, I have bad experiences with pre-made holes... better drill yourself
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 06:08:52 PM
On that latter note, I have bad experiences with pre-made holes... better drill yourself

Do you want to talk about it? :) The holes of an EDM electrode should be exactly in the center throughout.

Edit: Just curious of the issues? Come to think about I might have some EDM electrodes around here somewhere. Probably not 3mm though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:27:38 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 06:44:28 PM
Do you want to talk about it? :) The holes of an EDM electrode should be exactly in the center throughout.

Edit: Just curious of the issues? Come to think about I might have some EDM electrodes around here somewhere. Probably not 3mm though.

I did some sourcing for brass tube that is 3.0mm OD and with threaded hole of 2.0mm (for M2 screws) in Chinese websites, but almost 99% of the time, the tube I see are not smooth outside, but with grooves.  And the real 'diameter' with grooves are usually around 3.2mm.  I have seen MTO member trying to smooth out the outside by sanding it down.  However, I just have no data whether those pivots did hold up in a long run.  Follow this link here.

That lead me thinking...what if the 'sanding' down is done by a lathe?  That's should be far easier to trying to tapper thread into a long rod, is it?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 11, 2019, 06:49:21 PM
My bad experience was in trying to enlarge a hole to 1.5 mm, it must have been around 1.1 or 1.2 to start with. Drill bit broke off. The rolling process they used for that type of brass tube (3 mm outer diameter) must have caused a harder inner surface in places. I had some rod stock and that worked better ;)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44