Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wheels and things

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Wheels and things
on: May 11, 2019, 01:09:47 PM
Whether you call it a dolly, a hand barrow, a hand truck, a cart or something else, there is no denying that these should be mandatory for pretty well every able bodied person on the planet.

I have a nice dolly that i bought new about a dozen years ago and it has been invaluable for moving all kinds of things, like furniture, appliances, yard supplies, tile, wood and probably a lot more things I am not remembering.  Unfortunately, when I moved to Ottawa I brought it with me, and when I came back to Halifax I didn't have space for it, and it stayed there.

A couple of weeks ago I had to move a couple of stoves around, and I really missed my dolly, and had to move them by hand, which was unpleasant.  Now I have to move a fridge, and so I decided to buy a new dolly.  I picked up this beauty from someone on Facebook Marketplace for $30, and it is built like a brick smurfhouse.

It's old, from back in the days when they used heavy steel in the construction and welded them together properly!  Even the thin metal cross braces are 1/4"thick! 

I'm thinking that once the current backlog of chores I need it for are finished I may pull the wheels off it, go over it with a wire brush to clean it up, then spray the metal down with bedliner.  a good, hard wearing coating would do wonders for an old dolly like this one, and I may also splurge and get some nicer, grippier hand grips for it.  I know the plastic grips on it now will last forever (think bicycle grips from the 70's and early 80's) but they are also slick, and everything is always wet here.  I'm thiking of something like these:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ccm-lock-on-bike-grip-0730348p.html#srp

I may also swap out the hard rubber wheels for pneumatic ones- I know, there are times when hard rubber wheels are better, but I prefer air filled ones, even if they do go flat when you put too much weight on it.  I dunno, I'll use it as is for a bit and see what I think of it before deciding about the wheels.

Here's the hard part- show me your hand barrows, hand trucks, dollies, carts, whatever you call them!  These poor tools are often ignored, and it's about time we showed them some love!

Def
Dolly.jpg
* Dolly.jpg (Filesize: 126.95 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Wheels and things
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 02:13:29 PM
Here's mine, the Mighty Jolly Trolly!  This Noble workhorse is veteran of numerous moves and countless lightbulb changes!
IMG_20190511_081057.jpg
* IMG_20190511_081057.jpg (Filesize: 161.35 KB)
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 03:48:11 PM
Here's mine, the Mighty Jolly Trolly!  This Noble workhorse is veteran of numerous moves and countless lightbulb changes!

Does that have a built in step stool?  That's brilliant!  I love it!

If it had a bottle opener too we could officially declare it a multitool!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 03:49:18 PM
Oh Brother here we go again!

Of course another collection of mine and indeed one that I use all the time.

Now I guess I need some pics too? :facepalm:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 03:51:33 PM
It does, Def, and I'm sure I could find a way to open a bottle with it!
Barry

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:17:34 PM
So these first examples are just what is in the open right in front of me at the shop.

Magliner aluminum convertible=This one is a BEAST!

Portable folding-I carry one in each vehicle at all times and they come in handy for sure.

Aluminum standard

Trailer Dolly-If you have not tried one of these you can not imagine what you are missing!

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:22:41 PM by ezdog »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 08:18:55 PM
Rolling Cart-I try to bring a Cart along on every job but it is not always practical but if  can make it easier on my back I will.

Tv Dolly-I think this one speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:24:31 PM by ezdog »

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 08:49:31 PM
I agree. I had a one similar to yours defender but lent it out and it was never returned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 09:06:04 PM
I agree. I had a one similar to yours defender but lent it out and it was never returned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think that is how most people acquire carts!   :facepalm:

EZDog, there are some great carts there.  I used to use Rubbermaid ones similar to the grey ones you have shown above when I worked in a jails many years ago.  They were invaluable for distributing cigarettes and the like, and sturdier than anyone would expect a plastic cart to be.  Hell, they were virtually indestructible.

Also, that trailer dolly is fascinating.  I have a wheel jack on the front of my utility trailer and that's what I use to move it around when it isn't attached to the Jeep.  I'm not sure how much help that would be for me and my relatively light trailer, but I could see it coming in very handy for something heavier, like that enclosed trailer in the background, or even my old pop up tent trailer.

Most of the time the hardest part about moving trailers is that there is no place to hold, push or pull them from, and that one looks like an ideal solution to that problem.

Def

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:56 PM
You're right about those Rubbermaid carts Def.  They're beasts!  I'm impressed by the heavy duty examples of work horses here today! :tu:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 11:19:09 PM
I'd apply for the modders badge but Mrs. Rowland added the bottle opener to ours! :D
IMG_20190511_171622.jpg
* IMG_20190511_171622.jpg (Filesize: 192.27 KB)
IMG_20190511_171504.jpg
* IMG_20190511_171504.jpg (Filesize: 192.61 KB)
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:52:23 AM
Wheels off!!!

Just kidding, I only got two.

This puppy advertised to have some crazy capacity in the realm of 100kg(IIRC?), but I would only trust it or myself to handle 50kg max.

20190512_144138-01.jpg
* 20190512_144138-01.jpg (Filesize: 82.27 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 03:04:08 PM
 :like: :tu:
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 03:46:23 PM
Wheels off!!!

Just kidding, I only got two.

This puppy advertised to have some crazy capacity in the realm of 100kg(IIRC?), but I would only trust it or myself to handle 50kg max.

Those folding carts are very handy.  I used to always keep them in the car for taking heavier groceries and things into the house.  Nowadays the door to my house is within 2-3 meters (depending on how carefully I park!) of the Jeep, so I don't bother with it. 

Weight capacity on a cart is an important concern, and I usually try not to exceed 60-70% of the cart's rated capacity if I can avoid it.  Call me paranoid, but I feel like they last a lot longer if you don't "red line" them constantly.  Besides, it is a great excuse to buy a heavier cart too...  >:D

Def

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 05:45:44 PM
Those folding carts are very handy.  I used to always keep them in the car for taking heavier groceries and things into the house.  Nowadays the door to my house is within 2-3 meters (depending on how carefully I park!) of the Jeep, so I don't bother with it. 

Weight capacity on a cart is an important concern, and I usually try not to exceed 60-70% of the cart's rated capacity if I can avoid it.  Call me paranoid, but I feel like they last a lot longer if you don't "red line" them constantly.  Besides, it is a great excuse to buy a heavier cart too...  >:D

Def

Exactly how I see it :cheers: [size=78%], I sworn sometimes I could have felt the bottom plate bending when loading it with heavy stuff...and keeping it half loaded is true as gold.[/size]

Over the years, I learn to 'compartmentalize' random items into different sizes of boxes, which I could find and access them quicker.  But when it comes time moving these boxes, oh boy, this little cart is like having Clark Kent as your brother. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:27 PM
That's one of the reasons I am so happy with my new (old!) dolly.  It is from the days before they put weight ratings on them because it was built so solidly that it was capable of lifting a heck of a lot more than any person could put on it and expect to move. 

I'll bet that would be handy- I should start looking for one like that to keep in the Jeep again.  You never know when it will come in handy.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%