Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serrated 58mm?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Serrated 58mm?
on: May 12, 2019, 05:20:49 AM
This "clone" got me to thinking, how come a 58mm serrated blade isn't really a standard option?  While obviously special order and not a standard item,  I have seen some Classics with sausage advertising that in fact had serrated blades, so I know they're already doing it and I know the minimum quantities for a tool that special have to be big.  Serrating one of the MiniChamp blades, or perhaps another model with it would be great!

Not only is the secondary blade on this knife serrated, it's also locking. I am eventually getting one, but I think a lock is gonna be hard to release on a knife this small.

https://www.asp-usa.com/products/advocate-knife

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:31:41 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Serrated 58mm?
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:38:19 PM
I think there should be many more options for serrated blades on SAK,s, no matter of size.

For a few decades now, one of my favorite fishing knives, kitchen knives, shop knife on the work bench has been the little red handle paring knife that comes with the red plastic blade cover. I've been known to carry one in my side pocket and the better half keeps one in her purse when we're traveling.

Last winter Mags sent me a recruit with the serrated main blade and I love that knife. It cuts through heart anything, and is not bad to sharpen if needed with a small rat tailed diamond one or the Eye-Lap hone that looks like a short ball point pen. Victorinox serrated blades are an awesome cutter for all kinds of materials outside of food stuff.

I'd LOVE a full serrated blade on my executive!!! :drool:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 05:23:45 PM
This "clone" got me to thinking, how come a 58mm serrated blade isn't really a standard option?  While obviously special order and not a standard item,  I have seen some Classics with sausage advertising that in fact had serrated blades, so I know they're already doing it and I know the minimum quantities for a tool that special have to be big.  Serrating one of the MiniChamp blades, or perhaps another model with it would be great!

Not only is the secondary blade on this knife serrated, it's also locking. I am eventually getting one, but I think a lock is gonna be hard to release on a knife this small.

(Image removed from quote.)

:iagree:

I think there should be many more options for serrated blades on SAK,s, no matter of size.

:iagree:

I like serrated 91mm blades. I generally use the small blade for 95% of my uses. And I feel a serrated main blade is better for other uses like food - sandwiches, carving pumpkins, cutting veggies, bread/rolls. It's a combination that makes sense for me.

That 58mm serration looks like the 60% serration on the Matterhorn/Rainier/McKinley. Could be ground on the same wheel. I'd definitely like a MiniChamp or Midnite Manager with that serration.  :tu:

And bring back or update the baker's knife.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 05:58:18 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Cody, that's an interesting find :tu: , I am also curious whether the small blade lock is gonna be easy enough to operate on a knife this small.  But I notice there is no spring in the scissors...won't that be a hassle to use?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:08:53 PM

Cody, that's an interesting find :tu: , I am also curious whether the small blade lock is gonna be easy enough to operate on a knife this small.  But I notice there is no spring in the scissors...won't that be a hassle to use?

According to the site, it's built like a Wenger with a "frame mounted return spring". But I can't find a photo of the knife that shows the other side.

The scissors incorporates a frame-mounted return spring for improved functionality and durability

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:41:38 PM
Does it spell China on the tang?

I like serrations but I don´t think I´ll get one. Too small.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:44:57 AM
There is a 65mm serrated version from Wenger.  Here's one I bought a while back:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:44:48 PM
There is a 65mm serrated version from Wenger.  Here's one I bought a while back:

Cool Wenger FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:53:32 PM
Cool Wenger FB! :like: :tu: :tu:
Thank you Vicman!  :cheers:

I also forgot to mention that some folks modify the 58mm to have a serrated blade as seen here.  I believe the non-Victorinox blades (one serrated) came from a small Cutco knife.

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:39:39 PM
Thank you Vicman!  :cheers:

I also forgot to mention that some folks modify the 58mm to have a serrated blade as seen here.  I believe the non-Victorinox blades (one serrated) came from a small Cutco knife.

Nice mod FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD