Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Searching for a cheap and reliable multitool

Offline Luc Lessard

Re: Searching for a cheap and reliable multitool
Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 08:59:00 PM
Thanks for helping

Leatherman Wave is 110 euros on Amazon and has everything I need, I will wait a bit to see if the price can drop a bit

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 10:05:00 PM
The sawing a screw thing may be a small issue. While three sided files(like LM, Vic, SOG, etc) will saw a screw just fine, it isn't a great idea to do it a lot, because it causes wear on the large sides. The Surge has a replaceable file/saw. When it wears out, replacements are cheap. Just a thought.  :)

As far as scratches from the factory go, I expect it from every brand. I note cosmetic flaws on new tools I buy and issues like rubbing and such. All brands have those issues. My brand new SwissTool pliers head rubs the frame, but it doesn't effect its' function(just scars the pliers head a little). My Nomad's blade and driver have play, etc. Every company has been affected by cost cutting. :facepalm:

The real shame is that nobody bothered to answer your emails. :-\
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Luc Lessard

Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 10:28:07 AM
Thats the point, nobody replied.

I accept that scratches can happen, no problem with that even though it sucks because I paid it 52 euros directly on Victorinox website while you can have it for 30 something on Amazon but at least you should try to correct that (for example sending a new handle, because it was just the handle that was scratched)

Anyway thats no big deal

Need to take a look at the Surge, I have seen it before and looks like the perfect tool but quite pricey

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 02:41:03 PM
Understood! Thanks!
Wow, indeed, I'd be quite ticked off if I had paid €22 extra to make sure one that was perfect was received as well.  :ahhh

Indeed, LM prices in Europe are insane. But, that said, the Surge is a true beast of a tool. It pretty much is the strongest MT made and the interchangeable bits and saw/file make it one of the most user serviceable. I hope you can find one for a good price!
Maybe post a wanted thread in the tools needed section here? Maybe someone in Europe has one to sell. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 04:08:46 AM
Thats the point, nobody replied.

I accept that scratches can happen, no problem with that even though it sucks because I paid it 52 euros directly on Victorinox website while you can have it for 30 something on Amazon but at least you should try to correct that (for example sending a new handle, because it was just the handle that was scratched)

Anyway thats no big deal

Need to take a look at the Surge, I have seen it before and looks like the perfect tool but quite pricey

The surge seems intimidating..but I was surprised how comfortable I was with carrying it. I found it rocks in the Readman horizontal EDC sleeve.

Offline Luc Lessard

Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 09:22:30 PM
Hey guys, do you think that the Leatherman SideKick metal file would be able to saw a screw ? Its not something I would do often though, just very occasionaly only

This little guy seems to have everything I need

Thanks for the feedback

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 10:14:53 PM
Hey guys, do you think that the Leatherman SideKick metal file would be able to saw a screw ? Its not something I would do often though, just very occasionaly only

This little guy seems to have everything I need

Thanks for the feedback
The Sidekick, Wingman/Rev file is 1-sided(diagonal cut on one side and a "ruler" on the other side, tipped with a small-medium flat driver), so unfortunately it cannot.  :-\

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 11:13:56 PM

A metal-cutting jigsaw blade in the Surge's saw/file holder might help you out there.  :pok:  :whistle:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 04:11:34 AM
One of these blades (which will fit into a Surge) easily cuts hardened (like a screw; which our drywall screws seem to wear down the teeth on most of my tool steel linesman's pliers) steel. Gerber's Remgrit is the same type, but is U-Shank; not T-Shank.

These are made for cutting hard stainless steel.

On another note, why doesn't Gerber use T-Shank blades? That's more or less all you'll find at a home improvement or hardware store. Had to order my U-Shanks.

Offline Luc Lessard

Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 09:33:56 AM
Alright thank guys, Surge is the way to go then :)

au Offline munecito

Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:21 PM
 :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85