Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your SAK pet peeves?

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: May 14, 2019, 04:14:37 PM
Too much factory grease.  :facepalm:

I know it’s there for a good reason, but really, do they need to add so much that it ends up coating everything?

What pet peeves do you have with your SAKs, specifically things the factory could change?  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: What are your SAK pet peeves?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:45:08 PM
I really wish the cellidor scales would retain their shine a bit longer.
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56:34 PM
Too much factory grease.  :facepalm:

I know it’s there for a good reason, but really, do they need to add so much that it ends up coating everything?

What pet peeves do you have with your SAKs, specifically things the factory could change?  :dunno:
Contrary to your experience, I usually find the 91mm ok, but find the Spirit(especially the BO version) soaked in oil.  :think:   I once handled maybe a dozen BO spirit as company gifts, and man, my hands were oily at the end.

I really wish the cellidor scales would retain their shine a bit longer.

I don't know whether it would help, but people sometimes use turtle car wax to shine it, or better yet, the Novus plastic polish from Container store to bring the shine back.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:58:13 PM
Oh boy!

For one thing; and thesis a very long time gripe of mine; ditch the cellidor scales for a more modern and better material like FRN, Delrin, whatever. ANYTHING but the cellidor. Even the nylon like on the economy line is more durable. Anything that won't crack and break off when it falls of a kitchen counter to a tile floor. Or starts to dissolve if in contact with some mosquito repellents or gun cleaning solvents. There just better material now and just as cheap. The material the Gerber LST uses is great!

Then, bring out a cadet with an awl in place of the nail file. An awl is infinitely more useful and adds a second cutting edge for stripping wire, busting zip ties and such.

And finally, take out the orange peeler on the executive and replace it with a small combo tool. and offer a version of the executive with a full serrated blade.

Oh, while I'm complaining, do something about the keyring mount on the pioneer. No other SAK has a keyring mount that digs into the hand like the pioneer. It just sticks right up there at an abrupt angle unlike all the other SAK's that has it more down and not so poky. Why is the alox SAK's get an obnoxious keyring mount? If in doubt, BRING BACK THE HOLLOW RIVIT!!!!!!!!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:17:57 PM
Come to think about it, I do wish Victorinox could bring in more renovation to their designs. 

I know they are the giant of knives/MT making, and they are at such large volume that any change is a big change to a smaller size knife company.  But that too is exactly why they are at that unique position to venture out a little and trying to capture that premium segment of the market.

Just look at the knife market, people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to purchase one single blade tool.  If Victorinox could even upgrade all the components with better material, just even a S35V knife steel, titanium liner, FRN scale...they could easily ask for a higher premium, and people will still be willing to pay for it. 

A little less than a hundred years ago, they shown the world an innovative tool with great stainless steel, exceptional quality and consistency, and make themselves famous.  Now is the time to bring that innovation back and keep moving forward. 

I remember only a decade or so ago, LED flashlight was not all that popular.  But as everyone in the flashlight industry are adopting the LED technology, even flashlight giant Maglite has to recognize they are losing profit and market share to all the competitors, and eventually have to adopt the LED tech.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 06:24:04 PM
I wish they would put the blades centre or close to centre-line on the 3+ layer models. I find it awkward to cut or sharpen with blades offset so far to the side.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 06:33:57 PM
Wow guys, some real constructive suggestions here.  :like:

I guess Victorinox do some consumer research from time to time?

We should keep these suggestions coming and take them to Victorinox. Manufacturers that listen to their customers tend to be more successful.  :pok:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 06:34:03 PM
I wish they would put the blades centre or close to centre-line on the 3+ layer models. I find it awkward to cut or sharpen with blades offset so far to the side.

From a knife enthusiast, I can totally understand where you are coming from.  But then just as a devil advocate, if the knife is one of the most used tool, won't you want to have easier/fastest access by having the nail nick exposed at the most obvious location?  :pok: :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:03 PM
I wish my Deluxe Tinker's scissors and pliers would pivot away from the split ring attachment, like the main blade does.

Maybe instead of all of them being sold in red cellidor by default, and then you having to buy another set of scales, they could sell them allowing us to choose the color (and material) of scales.
And why are not all scales Plus Scales?

No issues with the peening (apart from some used Wengers I got) but it would be great if they had screws.

Tweezers are not robust. The cellidor scales allow for longer and thicker tweezers. Let's see an update.

Also update the whole T&T system. Have additional options, like the Firefly ferro rod, pointed tweezers, sail needle, lock picks, tiny red pen to compliment large blue, or just thin scales if we do not want scale tools.

Why are Garrant SAKs the only 111mm ones to have plus scales? Why are 111mm Plus Scales not sold on their own?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 06:57:12 PM
All good points ReamerPunch.  :iagree:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:24 PM
Many have mentioned more scale options, which I whole heartedly agree.  I would especially like some scale options with some grip texture. I find the cellidor hard to maintain a grip on with wet sweaty hands.  Nylon with texture, G10, micarta, etc.  The alox are nice, but why do I have to lose the scale tools.

@ReamerPunch mention of tool improvements would also be nice.

Factory customization/modifications in tool options.  I understand the labor cost would significantly go up for this, but as the modification market shows people want and would pay especially if they would be factory direct with warranty.  Change out corkscrew for phillips, hook for awl, small blade for file, insert phillips or magnifier in place of an opener, etc.

A couple more bladeless options, especially in an 84 or 91mm size.  Some people want to still be able to have all their other tools where knives are not allowed.  How about take the blade layer (and probably also the awl) off an explorer or even a super tinker.  Maybe even make a hook belt/strap cutter to replace a blade.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:59:13 PM
Why are 111mm liners so thin and soft?  They easily bend if dropped--you'd think the heavy duty line would be built stronger than that.

And why doesn't Vic sell scales normally?  I'd like to be able to find them more easily.  Vic should sell them as widely as they do tweezers, toothpicks, and scissor springs. And while on the topic of scissors springs--why are the old springs for 1970s and older SAKs so hard to find? Only the scissors repair kit has them in it; and just a handful at that.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 08:10:16 PM
Don't know if this is a peeve... No 84mm scissors.... :rant:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 08:14:36 PM
And why doesn't Vic sell scales normally?  I'd like to be able to find them more easily. 

:salute:
I want 91mm green plus scales for my Deluxe Tinker. I have to order them through ebay, from Switzerland, and wait a month to get them.
And they cost $15. That's a lot of money. You can get a new Huntsman for $30. :think:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 09:12:08 PM
Don't know if this is a peeve... No 84mm scissors.... :rant:

It is, and I concur.
- Steve

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:28 PM
My biggest pet peeve is the lack of new models in the 91mm line.  They keep discontinuing models, but they haven't added a regular-production new one that's stuck in a long time.

Also, I would love something more useful opposite the inline Phillips, like an 0/00 inline Phillips, perhaps.

Agree with others on cellidor and custom knives.

And bring back the Vagabond! :)

- FiL

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:17 PM
I wonder if I compile a summary of suggestions if it’s worth sending to Kristin Oakes, Marketing Manager at Victorinox Swiss Army (USA)? Coming from the most active forum of SAK enthusiasts, she may be interested in having some feedback from us?  :dunno:

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 12:30:36 AM
Small gripe, but factory edges almost always have small nicks (reflecting light) and needs some attention.

I would love the standard SAK’s to have harder blade steels that offers better edge retention. So many options AEB-L, S30V, M390.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 12:36:10 AM
I agree with the hollow rivet suggestion for the pioneer. I’d like to see the less polished and slightly thicker tools come back. Basically, if they reverted to the earlier old cross pioneer with the bail and bent awl, I’d be happy there.

I’d like to see the tools get a slightly higher hardness as well, so the drivers last a bit longer.

A OHO version of the spirit and a pocket clip option would be cool.

I’m not personally peeved by the cellidor, but I also don’t have any interest in the plastic scales at all  :dunno: That being said, even with nice wood or metal scales, my one big beef with the 91 and 84mm line is the back springs not being flush with the liners. It looks bad, feels terrible in use, and look like crap. I seriously hate it  :rant:  They should borrow a page from Wenger and make them flush.

Really, though, I’m pretty satisfied with Vic’s products. I still find them the best overall.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 06:55:12 AM
Also, I would love something more useful opposite the inline Phillips, like an 0/00 inline Phillips, perhaps.

I agree! The magnifier is fun for about 5 minutes and then you want something far more useful.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 07:11:53 AM

A OHO version of the spirit and a pocket clip option would be cool.

This will be huge! 

I think for full length MT, one of the best feature from Spirit/Swisstools are having all the tools readily accesible from the outside, but the missing ingredient is the OHO blade. 

I understand it may be more cost effective to have only a few models, which will works worldwide(OHO might not be legal in some region).  However, model like Spirit is lightweight enough, and if there is OHO feature, it might even have a chance to cut into the big folding knife market.

With newer models like P2/P4 from LM, where pliers are easily accessible with a flick of wrist, and all tools are accessible even without using nail nicks, I only hope Vic could realize it is the right time to step up their game.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 09:28:02 AM
Pet peeves? Hollow scales (I don't mind cellidor as it's made from a sustainable source). They break too easily and simply don't feel as nice as the old solid ones.

No OHO option for the new Adventurer. Not for me because I don't like the mechanism, but for the many OHO Trailmaster owners who never use the saw.

The otherwise lovely wooden scales on Evowoods that don't sit exactly flush with the liners.

Oh, while I'm complaining, do something about the keyring mount on the pioneer. No other SAK has a keyring mount that digs into the hand like the pioneer. It just sticks right up there at an abrupt angle unlike all the other SAK's that has it more down and not so poky. Why is the alox SAK's get an obnoxious keyring mount? If in doubt, BRING BACK THE HOLLOW RIVIT!!!!!!!!
:iagree:

And why are not all scales Plus Scales?

Why are Garrant SAKs the only 111mm ones to have plus scales? Why are 111mm Plus Scales not sold on their own?
Largely cost, I imagine, because the pen is included. An extra part needing an extra step.

I like the Garant Nomad. Those beautiful blue scales with the orange splashes and the tweezers with a wee ruler on. 8)  Too bad it doesn't have a saw.

Factory customization/modifications in tool options.  I understand the labor cost would significantly go up for this, but as the modification market shows people want and would pay especially if they would be factory direct with warranty.  Change out corkscrew for phillips, hook for awl, small blade for file, insert phillips or magnifier in place of an opener, etc.

A couple more bladeless options, especially in an 84 or 91mm size.  Some people want to still be able to have all their other tools where knives are not allowed.  How about take the blade layer (and probably also the awl) off an explorer or even a super tinker.  Maybe even make a hook belt/strap cutter to replace a blade.
:iagree:

I love both these ideas. Needless redundancy annoys me. For a while I've thought that if I ever got into modding I'd make a bladeless, openerless Handyman or Swisschamp to compliment my Trailmaster at work. Or to compliment a Pioneer or 84mm everywhere else. A slim knife for the pocket; a MT for the bag.

Why are 111mm liners so thin and soft?  They easily bend if dropped--you'd think the heavy duty line would be built stronger than that.

And why doesn't Vic sell scales normally?  I'd like to be able to find them more easily.  Vic should sell them as widely as they do tweezers, toothpicks, and scissor springs. And while on the topic of scissors springs--why are the old springs for 1970s and older SAKs so hard to find? Only the scissors repair kit has them in it; and just a handful at that.
All those things.  :iagree:  I'd really like to see a 93mm alox range scaled up to 111mm. Longer, locking blade; locking flat SD/pry bar; longer SAW; the AWL. 8)
Rambler

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
My SAK pet peeves are:

1. People who don't understand economies of scale and modern production processes for inexpensive commodity products and constantly demand this or that feature or niche models that have both limited market appeal and poor commercial viability.

That's about it, really. :whistle:

Oh, and the combo tool.  Such a poor choice to add that to any SAK.  :twak:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:46:48 AM by hiraethus »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:55 PM
If I could magically change one thing about my BY soldier, it would be to have the hollow rivet.  :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline dlew919

Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 12:25:33 PM
No Victorinox shop in Sydney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 01:31:44 PM
My SAK pet peeves are:

1. People who don't understand economies of scale and modern production processes for inexpensive commodity products and constantly demand this or that feature or niche models that have both limited market appeal and poor commercial viability.

That's about it, really. :whistle:

Oh, and the combo tool.  Such a poor choice to add that to any SAK.  :twak:

I don't know  :dunno: I'd argue that these things are what can make niche products economically viable for a company to produce.  They allow the company to produce its core products for lower prices, which allow greater profits, which can lead to greater capital investment and accumulation.  This can then be used for R&D and other things, including producing more niche products in the hopes of capturing additional market share.

Using cars as an example, just think of the Model T, one of the first mass produced cars.  It was cheaper than the niche products before, and was famously only available in any color you like, so long as it's black.  But, economies of scale, improved production processes and capital investment brought with them falling prices and the introduction of many colors and variants.  This in turn has lead to where we are today, spoiled for choice for automobiles.

I think you can see the same thing with SAKs.  Initially only a few models that have now exploded into the vast variety of options we have.  :drink:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 09:50:52 PM
That's what I forgot to mention! The magnifier lens popping out of the translucent frame. I've found I have to be ridiculously careful to open it slowly. Twice, the one in my Explorer has popped out when I've snapped the magnifier open, not even with as much force as opening a blade. Just that little snap was enough. It gave me a devil of time one day, trying to find the lens on the kitchen floor.

Surely Vic can sort this one out for free, or nearly free. :dunno:

Just quickly, before I shoot of to work. I totally understand the point about the economic viability of developing and manufacturing new products. I'm not really serious about my 111mm alox wishlist. The current ranges are pretty well balanced in my opinion. But Vic does come out with surprises. The Pioneer X, for instance, and the Walker which is really a reissue of an older model.

There are also the specials made for +Bianco. If they can be done, custom runs could be well viable.
Rambler

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 10:00:32 PM
That's what I forgot to mention! The magnifier lens popping out of the translucent frame. I've found I have to be ridiculously careful to open it slowly. Twice, the one in my Explorer has popped out when I've snapped the magnifier open, not even with as much force as opening a blade. Just that little snap was enough. It gave me a devil of time one day, trying to find the lens on the kitchen floor.

Surely Vic can sort this one out for free, or nearly free. :dunno:

I must agree about the magnifier lens popping out on the translucent frame...it has now happened to me 4 times on 3 different Swiss Champs.

I have never had a lens pop out of the old style gray frame magnifier.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 10:02:07 PM
The magnifier security on the current design is poor I do agree. It pops out on my Explorer with little effort.  >:(

I’m seeing a trend of suggested improvements coming through, together with more ‘wish-list’ related suggestions. They are all great, and I do believe many could be (should be) seriously considered by the factory.

Let’s keep them coming!  :think:

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:16 PM
Oh yeah, I've had the magnifier lens pop out of the housing on my Champion Plus twice recently.  PITA.

- FiL

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD