Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your SAK pet peeves?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: What are your SAK pet peeves?
Reply #60 on: May 18, 2019, 09:17:06 AM
Read through the list, so far, and I can agree with pretty much all of them.

My main gripe is that if you want to actually carry one of the limited edition series knives is that the design wears away too easily.  CraftsmanSAK mentioned camo scales... Well carry one around and before long they're simply black scales.

There should be a better way to maintain the design.
I've been attracted to camo scales lately. Thanks for the caveat - much as I didn't want to hear it! I'd want them for a user so I'll give them a swerve now.
Rambler

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: May 18, 2019, 09:27:11 AM
And I forgot, I want an bladeless version with opening layer, scissors and maybe a magnifier

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #62 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:59 AM
The cellidor scales are cheap and easy to replace, either by you or in the factory. That's probably why Vic sticks with the cellidor.

I don't like scissors on a knife. They are only useful for grooming your nails. Every other duty can be performed by the blade.
A Champion without scissors and fish thing, or a Handyman without the scissors, but with an inline Philips would be my perfect choice for a small survival knife.

The perfect larger survival knives are the 111 mm Atlas and Tradesman tools. Unfortunately they are not produced anymore. Such a bad thing!

The Spirit (without the X) is really my favorite multi-tool, together with the LM Rebar and Charge TTi (although in my opinion the Wave/Charge models are too heavy for EDC). However I miss a diamond file on the Spirit (like on the LM Wave and Charge models).

What also could be a small innovation is a sort of 'marker' on the sheep foot blade of the Spirit, so you can feel this blade with your fingers without taking a look at it. When you need it as a belt cutter it is not immediately to recognize. You have to look for it, because when it is closed it looks the same as the other blade.

Recently I talked to a Victorinox representative and I asked him why Vic is rather conservative and has virtually no innovative designs. He told me "we still sell them by the millions, so no need to change".

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: May 19, 2019, 10:12:49 AM
Some interesting points EMZ.  :like:

Companies that do not innovate eventually go under, and regardless of selling millions of knives a year, Victorinox had to branch into new product categories to survive. The flip side is that they are no longer as dependent on the SAK portfolio so there’s less need to innovate.

What they have to watch is their quality. If this dips, customers will begin to migrate to competing brands. I would go so far to say that their quality is the number one factor that keeps us loyal customers.

The Vic rep that said they don’t need to change because they sell millions of knives is missing the point. They sell millions because of their reputation and quality. Best they don’t screw that up.

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:41 AM
Some interesting points EMZ.  :like:

Companies that do not innovate eventually go under, and regardless of selling millions of knives a year, Victorinox had to branch into new product categories to survive. The flip side is that they are no longer as dependent on the SAK portfolio so there’s less need to innovate.

What they have to watch is their quality. If this dips, customers will begin to migrate to competing brands. I would go so far to say that their quality is the number one factor that keeps us loyal customers.

The Vic rep that said they don’t need to change because they sell millions of knives is missing the point. They sell millions because of their reputation and quality. Best they don’t screw that up.

:iagree:

Ever since the 9-11, all the airport stores sales had been heavily affected since they mostly sell knives, and they started to branch out to other business(luggage/fashion/watch/etc) and probably did quite well there too.  I just hope they will not move away from their MT/knife business, because that's their root and pillar.

After reading dozens of 'pet peeves'/wants, I can't help but starting to see hiraethus' point--allow me to be a devil advocate for a bit, they have been around for more than a century, and they are the king of knives.  Of all people in the industry, one would figure they must have known the business rather well.  All those 'options' we want(myself included), are probably icing on the cake, but can't hardly justify it is the necessity.

It is like the CRK knives in knife world, people often wonder why over so many years, they only offer a few models.  The matter of truth is they are constantly in such high demand that they probably working at full capacity making and less time to design.  And if something works, why change it anyway?

I only hope going forward, they will not shrink their products offering--one greatest thing about SAKs is not just the impeccable quality and consistency, compactness of tools, but the variety of it.  With the variety of layers and tools, it is always possible to find something that fits your need.  It may not be 100% personalize and perfect fit, but a good 70-80%?  Nonetheless,  I am rambling, if Victorinox reps are reading this, just like to say thank you, these tools have been great, please continue. :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 02:37:08 PM

Ever since the 9-11, all the airport stores sales had been heavily affected since they mostly sell knives, and they started to branch out to other business(luggage/fashion/watch/etc) and probably did quite well there too.  I just hope they will not move away from their MT/knife business, because that's their root and pillar.

After reading dozens of 'pet peeves'/wants, I can't help but starting to see hiraethus' point--allow me to be a devil advocate for a bit, they have been around for more than a century, and they are the king of knives.  Of all people in the industry, one would figure they must have known the business rather well.  All those 'options' we want(myself included), are probably icing on the cake, but can't hardly justify it is the necessity.

It is like the CRK knives in knife world, people often wonder why over so many years, they only offer a few models.  The matter of truth is they are constantly in such high demand that they probably working at full capacity making and less time to design.  And if something works, why change it anyway?

I only hope going forward, they will not shrink their products offering--one greatest thing about SAKs is not just the impeccable quality and consistency, compactness of tools, but the variety of it.  With the variety of layers and tools, it is always possible to find something that fits your need.  It may not be 100% personalize and perfect fit, but a good 70-80%?  Nonetheless,  I am rambling, if Victorinox reps are reading this, just like to say thank you, these tools have been great, please continue. :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #66 on: May 19, 2019, 10:15:44 PM
I don´t really have any peeves. But it would be nice if Vx made available the BuSchroder / Bushcrafter in large quantities, and affordable for everyone, without any modding.
DSC08945-bushcrafter-e33.jpg
* DSC08945-bushcrafter-e33.jpg (Filesize: 259.34 KB)

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #67 on: October 16, 2019, 08:13:15 PM
Im knocking the dust off of this thread.  :cheers:

My biggest pet peeve right now is that Vic does not make a cadet with scissors.  :pok:

The Wiki shows that they made the Cadet Plus which included a saw...  They were so close...
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 16, 2019, 08:18:47 PM
My biggest pet peeve right now is that Vic does not make a cadet with scissors.

Same here.  I'd buy a dozen on the day they released it and every limited edition color they released thereafter.   

For now I make my own:   

After I built this one, I decided to grind the can opener down to a fine screwdriver, which is more useful for my day-to-day needs. 

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #69 on: October 16, 2019, 11:25:37 PM
I have several SAK pet peeves.
The biggest one is probably the fact that I don't like redundancy, so specifically I wouldn't get a SAK that has both a can opener and inline Phillips screwdriver (a backside Phillips would be fine, as the different handling justifies its presence).

A minor pet peeve is the color of the plastic in the scale tools: gray for the tweezers head and off-white for the toothpick. It is my understanding that these color were chosen because they most closely resembled the color of the original material these parts were made of: aluminum for the tweezers head and ivory for the toothpick. This, just like any other "imitation", slightly annoys me.

And finally, the tip of the metal file/saw. Especially now that the tool is made of stainless steel and, as such, is quite aggressive, why does it have a nail cleaning tip? I don't like the idea of a manicure tool mixed with my rugged tools.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: October 17, 2019, 01:45:54 AM
My pet peeve is there are no magnifying glass on the 111mm’s  :rant:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: October 17, 2019, 09:11:02 AM
I don't have that much pet peeves but, if any, it's the bloody hollow scales....  :rant: :twak:
Why on earth did they abandoned the much solid standard cellidor solid scales is beyond me...  :facepalm:  I mean... does it save THAT much material? Is it THAT much cheap to produce than the older ones...?

I can understand the thinner tang in the main blade, as it makes no difference in the blade sturdiness, and it saves a considerate amount of waste metal from the blade blank on the grinding process.

Another well known pet peeve of mine it's not regarding the SAK's per se, but some of Vic policies endlessly making SE/LE targeted for collectors with only cosmetics differences from standard models, while making almost none SE/LE for actual users with either material improvements, or bringing back discontinued models (even if in small amounts).
The Climber with the nickel liners comes to mind, sturdier and less prone to corrosion metal. Models like the Yeoman, Clipper, Passenger, Trailguide, and others (esp. in the 3 layer category), could come back from time to time as SE/LE, i mean just standard models, no fancy scales or boxes. It only takes different assembly of existing production line parts, no extra cost to produce.... Just a thought...  :think:

And finally, the tip of the metal file/saw. Especially now that the tool is made of stainless steel and, as such, is quite aggressive, why does it have a nail cleaning tip? I don't like the idea of a manicure tool mixed with my rugged tools.

I don't mind it that much, we only see it as a "nail cleaning tip" cause Vic called it that way. I just see it as a pointy smooth surface that can be good for light prying or probing. If you sharpen that edge a bit it can also be a good scraper... :think:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:16:14 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: October 17, 2019, 12:52:24 PM
More Nylon scales. In different colours please. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 01:26:47 PM
Shallow nail nicks, make some blades/tools difficult to open.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Frailer

Reply #74 on: October 17, 2019, 03:50:13 PM
Another member of the "what the hell was Victorinox thinking when they got rid of the 84mm scissors" club here.  I'd love to see a return of the original Golfer, and a "Cadet X" would be awesome..

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: October 17, 2019, 03:54:10 PM
I like the fieldmaster.

What I don't like is lack of similar offering in 84mm, 93mm (famer x), and the bigger sizes...  :twak:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #76 on: October 17, 2019, 07:27:02 PM
Same here.  I'd buy a dozen on the day they released it and every limited edition color they released thereafter.   

For now I make my own:   

(Image removed from quote.)

After I built this one, I decided to grind the can opener down to a fine screwdriver, which is more useful for my day-to-day needs.

Myron, that is a GREAT mod!!  :hatsoff:
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 17, 2019, 08:39:41 PM
Myron, that is a GREAT mod!!  :hatsoff:

Why thank you, Mr. Deuce.  I carry a red one just like it every day.  The silver one sits waiting for me to break up with my red one for a time.   ;-)

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #78 on: October 18, 2019, 12:04:00 PM
A lot of good suggestions and peeves.   My biggest pet peeve is I would like to see nylon scales as standard on the 84 & 91mm models just like they are on the 111 mm. I would also like to see a pen blade as standard on the Cadet instead of the nail file.

Perception is reality

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: October 18, 2019, 03:45:00 PM
A lot of good suggestions and peeves.   My biggest pet peeve is I would like to see nylon scales as standard on the 84 & 91mm models just like they are on the 111 mm. I would also like to see a pen blade as standard on the Cadet instead of the nail file.

I hope you mean for the nylon scales to be a standard alternative in addition to the standard cellidor scales, not replacing them.
That i would agree. Can't even imagine my beloved standard red cellidor scales with initialy'd logo being out of production someday...  :ahhh
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

england Offline Rathbone

Reply #80 on: October 18, 2019, 07:07:23 PM
None of these are peeves, just some thoughts...

More knifeless/ v-cutter options. Tool "families" making more sense in trade specific models. 5mm allen key instead of corkscrew? Pairing screwdrivers with something like a 2.5mm chisel ended bradawl. Pozi drivers instead of phillips. Improved LED with translucent scales and strobe mode to make a small beacon. A duo small and large combi pouch.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #81 on: October 18, 2019, 08:56:36 PM
Doesn't the Cadet II have a pen blade?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline zenderfall

Reply #82 on: October 18, 2019, 10:48:53 PM
I'm going to agree with a Cadet X.  They did right with a Pioneer X, and they definitely have the ability to make a Cadet X too.  They seem to be slower than bureaucracy when it comes to things many people want (and would happily pay for)

among others:

-more colors in Nylon rather than just red, and red with no shield.  White, blue, green, yellow would be nice.
-speaking of nylon, what about a pen slot rather than me having to use my file and filing out my own pen slot?
-Why aren't all modern cellidor SAK's plus scales?  It's not a mutually exclusive design element, like combo opener. 
-and while we're on pens, why can't the 91mm knives have sliding pens like on the 58mm?  Yes I know I can place it under the hook, but I wouldn't have to unless a sliding pen was already there.
-toothpick/tweezer slots on Alox
-nail files on hooks - some models have those, however, ALL of them can have them, but don't.  See pen slot, above.
-G10, CF, all kinds of new material scales, but still stuck with Cellidor, Alox, and Nylon.  it's the 21st century and the most recent thing they ever came out with is.....Cybertool? 

-the biggest peeve of all is not using torx screws and rather the peened brass they use now.  Oh, the options and fun we'd all have if they were torx'ed together like Leathermen and Bokers!

fi Offline Gath

Reply #83 on: October 18, 2019, 11:18:45 PM
The sliding pen system requires a bit more clearance ergo scale thickness and slider of course is an additional thing that can quite likely break on heavy duty knifes, and may cause discomfort in use and complicate cleaning. Wouldn't even handier than the regular one on thicker knives.

That plain plus scales aren't standard is very annoying though. And that special editions usually omit plus scales, sometimes even on models that normally have them is outright ridiculous.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 19, 2019, 02:34:15 AM
I'm going to agree with a Cadet X.  They did right with a Pioneer X, and they definitely have the ability to make a Cadet X too.

I'm still waiting for a Pioneer X Plus (Pioneer X w/ wood saw).  All these tools are already offered on 93mm models, so it would just be a matter of putting them together.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #85 on: October 20, 2019, 08:59:28 PM
...Models like the Yeoman, Clipper, Passenger, Trailguide, and others (esp. in the 3 layer category), could come back from time to time as SE/LE, i mean just standard models, no fancy scales or boxes. It only takes different assembly of existing production line parts, no extra cost to produce.... Just a thought...  :think:
Very sensible suggestion MacGyver. It may be still a good idea to market them as a "re-edition" to create some interest at a retail level, otherwise they could just get lost among the rest of the range (95% of Victorinox buyers may never have heard of a Yeoman). Even it they just pick one of the historic scale colours, such as solid blue, to create some differentiation.  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #86 on: October 20, 2019, 10:01:17 PM
Very sensible suggestion MacGyver...

Ditto.  :iagree:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #87 on: October 20, 2019, 10:21:30 PM
More use of the 84mm saw; which was recently reintroduced with the Walker.  I'd like to see the Hiker and Camper Small again, as well as a Cadet+saw.  And 84mm scissors. I guess Vic's answer is--why not the Wenger scissors? Comparatively, they SUCK.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: October 21, 2019, 06:34:31 PM
... people moaning over the same stuff over and over again, where we know the actual reasons (for Vic not to address the problem)  from old threads in this same forum.  :P

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #89 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:12 PM
I suppose that’s a valid pet peeve.  :facepalm:

But there are some fresh ideas, and even revisiting old issues makes them no less relevant.  :salute:

And some forum members do have contact with the factory, so never say never...  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%