Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case Sodbuster

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Case Sodbuster
on: May 15, 2019, 08:03:51 AM
So I have a decision in front of me. I need (heh, okay, want) a slipjoint knife. I love the feel of the large (4 5/8") Case Sodbuster in my hand, and I've decided to buy one. However, my choices are: Chrome Vandium (high-carbon) steel with a piss-yellow delrin handle for $30, or stainless steel with a beautiful blue bone handle for $53. If the Chrome Vandium blade came with the blue bone handles, that'd be the obvious choice. But it doesn't.

So, I can get another stainless blade, just like all my other knives... or put up with an ugly handle to get the better blade. And honestly, the delrin handle DOES feel better in my hands than the bone pattern. It's just... yellow. Such an ugly color.

Thoughts?

Charles.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Case Sodbuster
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:26 AM
Since that’s a penny knife, the yellow handle suits it better. It gives it character, the way the CrV blade gives. So, I would choose the classic yellow (indeed I want one) or would but both if I could.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:20:09 AM
Shouldn’t “penny knives” cost around a penny? Most of them are quite expensive. Where is the world heading too?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:21:37 AM
Have a look at the GEC #21 Bull Buster if you can find one.  A little more expensive than the Case, but with a sweet 1095 blade and some nice durable cover materials (including orange or black Delrin).  Better made than the Case knives in my experience too.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:26:47 AM
Orange is very nice.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:31 AM
I have a vague recollection Case reported their own testing showed their stainless outperformed their CV in edge retention.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 11:40:19 AM
I've got both CV and Stainless Cases and I find the CV much better. It appears to be a lot sharper and has a more aggressive catch when cutting wood etc. I found the Stainless on the Jr Soddy to be a bit disappointing really.

As for GEC Soddies, they truly are things of beauty and I absolutely love mine. However, I'm not sure if you could get one quite as sharp as Case knife with CV... Not in my experience anyway.

Anyway, just get the one you like!  :cheers:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 11:47:33 AM
Sorry for the high-jack, but.....
 :facepalm:

A Case Russlock with blue jigged bone handles has been floating around in my dreams since I saw it in a knife sale video last Friday.
 :gimme:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:52:55 PM
I have the Large Case Sod Buster with the black handle and really like it.  I have the CV blade and its nice.  I think of the choices you present I'd go with the Blue Bone option.  Seems you really like that one best blade choices aside that is.  I have the Sod Buster Jr in the yellow handle too.  Like a SAK those yellow handles are part of the charm.  The yellow is yellow squash to my eyes not pee  :rofl: 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 04:00:09 PM
The thing is, the colored handles (red, orange, etc) are almost exclusively available on the Sod Buster Jr. I want the larger (Sod Buster Sr?) knife, that's 4.65" closed. That's the one that fits well in my hand. The Jr. is actually too small for what I want.

I do like the blue handle best, that's true, but I like the CV blade more than the stainless. Also there's the possibility of adding a pocket clip to the delrin scales - either a stick-on Nite-Eyze or drilling and tapping the thick delrin scales. There's no such possibility for the thinner, bumpy bone scales. Ugh, it's such a hard decision.

Charles.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 04:22:47 PM
The Large one does fit the hand very nice.  Ok so blade steel you like the CV better.  I would go with the blade steel first unless the handle is something you cannot stand.  In the CASE of these choices I'd go CV with whatever handle you wouldn't mind carrying.  You'll save a few bucks which can go towards pocket clip options  :dunno:.

Here are my two.  I really like the black on the large.     
IMG_7191.jpg
* IMG_7191.jpg (Filesize: 172.8 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 05:12:03 PM
Perhaps have a look at a Maserin Plow. Sodbuster with D2 steel.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 07:14:59 PM
https://www.smkw.com/stonewash-sodbuster-red-synth-4138cv-sfo-ca26786

It's not yellow  :D

Looks more like orange than red... or at the very least tomato soup colour. Either way it looks great.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:33 PM
I like the yellow handles. There is a classic quality to them.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 09:38:45 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 04:20:32 AM
This is probably a bad financial idea but..... Why not get both???! :pok: :D the sodbuster is a great pattern, I have the full size and the junior in black with stainless blades. Probably the best low budget case out there :like:
Send In the spartans

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 04:37:04 AM
This is probably a bad financial idea but..... Why not get both???! :pok: :D the sodbuster is a great pattern, I have the full size and the junior in black with stainless blades. Probably the best low budget case out there :like:

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 07:07:33 AM
Sorry for the high-jack, but.....
 :facepalm:

A Case Russlock with blue jigged bone handles has been floating around in my dreams since I saw it in a knife sale video last Friday.
 :gimme:
Oooo. Yeah. I've been thinking about one of those for years. When the time came to buy one, I saw a St. Patrick's green(limited run) jigged bone swingbar lockback, and the money was dumped on the swingbar. :facepalm:
Russlock will come one day. :D

CC,
As far as Case's blade steels, I am always in favor of SS. But, that said, it is because I don't like wiping down my blades everyday. The SS gets plenty sharp enough to cause bodily harm and to glide through paper. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 08:40:59 AM
https://www.smkw.com/stonewash-sodbuster-red-synth-4138cv-sfo-ca26786

It's not yellow  :D

Thank you SO much! That made my day. I ordered that red-handled large Sod Buster... and while it was in my cart, I clicked the "Clearance" button... and found a Boker Tech Tool 4 for $28.99. BOO-YEAH! So i'm like $75 poorer now, but in a damn good mood.

Charles.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 10:44:32 AM

Thank you SO much! That made my day. I ordered that red-handled large Sod Buster... and while it was in my cart, I clicked the "Clearance" button... and found a Boker Tech Tool 4 for $28.99. BOO-YEAH! So i'm like $75 poorer now, but in a damn good mood.

Charles.

HA! Nice one.  :cheers:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 11:14:17 AM

Charles.

Glad I could help.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 03:10:39 PM
Well done Dean, well done.   :hatsoff:

Oh and congrats Chop.   :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 03:19:16 PM

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 04:48:59 PM
Yeah, it was $10 more for the red handle than the yellow handle, but that was worth it to me. The yellow-handled knife is a humongous deal at $30, but my favorite color is red, so it was an easy choice to spend another $10-spot. It also makes more sense for the knife to be a bright color, as this will be used for camping and if I put a dark-handled knife down in the grass I may not find it again easily. :)

I'm also kinda stoked about the Boker. I remember wanting the Tech Tool 5 when it came out, because I use a phillips driver all the time and don't really need the saw... but for $28 I just snagged it. A pocket-clipable SAK... where have you been all my life??  Only dice is it's no good for camping, as it doesn't have a can opener. That's actually one of my most-used implements in daily life as well, because my girlfriend's can opener sucks and I can open a can in a quarter the time if I whip out my MP600 or SAK. But still... $28 is $28. That's more than $30 off list price! They have the Tech Tool 2 on clearance as well.

Charles.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:02 PM
I like bright for outdoor as well.  While I can appreciate camo I am not one to go for it for tools or equipment for outdoors. 

The Red should look very nice on that knife.  I could also do orange too. 

Cant wait to hear what you think about the Boker. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 05:57:26 AM
Oh wow. I just received my red sod buster today, and it’s beautiful! I love the patina on the blade. It feels great in my hand, and the action is just as I remember. I am thrilled. The color is close to tomato soup. Much more orange than a SAK scale.  It’s a matte finish, and I’m debating breaking out the Novus plastic polish and making it glossy.

It’s such a simple knife, but I love handling it and using it. With a pocket clip it would be my EDC I think.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 05:59:18 AM
And speaking of pocket clip, this is kinda what I had in mind. I’m a little concerned if the delrin can be drilled and tapped and hold the clip, or if I need to drill through the brass liner too.

Charles.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 06:15:46 AM
That's just purdy.
Haven't seen the stone washed finish on CASE knives.  Looks really nice.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:46 AM
Its really a nice shade of red.  I also like the finish on the blade. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD