Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Black Fire multitool

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Black Fire multitool
on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:34 PM
Anyone owned one of these before? That pliers head and the long driver looked absolutely badass!

https://www.blackfire.com/shop/multi-tools/heavy-duty-multi-tool

I am sorry if I am not suppose to post links!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Black Fire multitool
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 03:55:31 PM
Looks awesome, Sam! But, $50 is into big-brand territory. So, like you, I would need to see some reviews and what-not to know whether it is worth it or not.
The way the handles are configured, it looks very uncomfortable to use. And the implements(knife only locks) don't lock open. And at $50, that is expected these days.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:03:42 PM
Another off-brand that looks nice? Keep them coming! :like:

It certainly looks usable, not really mind-blowing, but simple and decent.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:13:13 PM
Not bad at all. Two reversible bits.  :like:
The head reminds me of the Klein one.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 04:22:55 PM
There are other sites that sells them at $40. I am so tempted by that whole pliers head and the driver. The cutter on my Klein's is amazing. I have used everything on the Klein's pliers almost everyday and probably will do so till it breaks one day. I do miss the bolt gripper though. But the wire stripper on that is very good as well.  :ahhh choices choices choices...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 05:17:25 PM
$40 is much more palatable  :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:48:06 PM
Seems this tool does what I wanted with the Klein--much the same idea (and same heavy head) but with a load-out and plier head more friendly toward the general user, not the electrician or maintenance guy.

I wonder how the plier teeth are cut. I love how aggressive the Kleins are. And the Kleins have the best cutters in the industry, hands down.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:08:09 PM
Well I just ordered one..  :facepalm: but it will be a long wait before I receive this.. Will report back for sure. It should be a huge tool like the Klein's.. We will see.. I am super sold on the pliers and the bit driver..

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

se Offline RF52

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:43 PM
:popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 08:25:16 PM
Well I just ordered one..  :facepalm: but it will be a long wait before I receive this.. Will report back for sure. It should be a huge tool like the Klein's.. We will see.. I am super sold on the pliers and the bit driver..
Your monetary sacrifice is much appreciated. :like: :popcorn:

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 08:37:59 PM
It does look tough & awesome. At $50 its almost the same price I recently saw the Real Avid Gun Tool Max listed at on Amazon. The Avid GTMx seems to have a lot more tools. Now at $40 that might be a good price for the BlackFire. Would like to see more reviews of it. I wish they both had pocket clips!!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 07:44:58 PM
Searching online for "heavy duty multitool", this pops up a lot, from many different vendors. It's not as obscure as you'd think. I have high hopes for this.  :multi:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 04:56:44 AM
It does look tough & awesome. At $50 its almost the same price I recently saw the Real Avid Gun Tool Max listed at on Amazon. The Avid GTMx seems to have a lot more tools. Now at $40 that might be a good price for the BlackFire. Would like to see more reviews of it. I wish they both had pocket clips!!
The Avid isn't a good quality tool from what I noted about my example. The whole thing is just kind of like a sweet and useful looking tool that had a lot of corners cut in the production phase. Just a few things off the top of my head:
Pliers rub in handle.
Play on the pliers head.
Bit driver has massive play.
Rod attachments threaded poorly.
Included attachments threaded off center and show visible cracking in the female threaded area.
Loads of handle play.
Tools touch when pliers are moderately squeezed, and not in a LM Wave way, but in the pliers mounts are squishy kind of way.

Bits and sheath are nice though. And I think the tool would work as advertised, but I wasn't impressed with the build quality. :(

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 05:01:23 AM
Your monetary sacrifice is much appreciated. :like: :popcorn:

:D I had to go at a little higher price through ebay again.. The retailers selling at $40 doesn't ship out of states or accepts payment from US PayPal...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 07:55:25 AM
:D I had to go at a little higher price through ebay again.. The retailers selling at $40 doesn't ship out of states or accepts payment from US PayPal...
:cheers:

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 02:31:25 AM
The Avid isn't a good quality tool from what I noted about my example. The whole thing is just kind of like a sweet and useful looking tool that had a lot of corners cut in the production phase. Just a few things off the top of my head:
Pliers rub in handle.
Play on the pliers head.
Bit driver has massive play.
Rod attachments threaded poorly.
Included attachments threaded off center and show visible cracking in the female threaded area.
Loads of handle play.
Tools touch when pliers are moderately squeezed, and not in a LM Wave way, but in the pliers mounts are squishy kind of way.

Bits and sheath are nice though. And I think the tool would work as advertised, but I wasn't impressed with the build quality. :(
Yikes! Does not sound good. The reviews were good on Amazon if I remember, maybe you got a defective one. Do you have a link to your review?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 04:10:53 AM
Yikes! Does not sound good. The reviews were good on Amazon if I remember, maybe you got a defective one. Do you have a link to your review?
I haven't reviewed it yet, but can do that soon if you like.  :cheers:

I hope mine is a dud, but there are just so many things off about the one I bought, that I can't recommend it personally. You could always order through Amazon and return it if your example isn't up-to-snuff. :dunno:

I have handled a couple of multitools and am somewhat familiar with what makes a good tool, and the GTM doesn't check a lot of boxes for me(in a quality sense). It does look really awesome and the handles are nicely done. :)

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 11:48:55 AM
looking forward to hearing more about this one.  :popcorn:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 11:24:07 PM
I haven't reviewed it yet, but can do that soon if you like.  :cheers:

I hope mine is a dud, but there are just so many things off about the one I bought, that I can't recommend it personally. You could always order through Amazon and return it if your example isn't up-to-snuff. :dunno:

I have handled a couple of multitools and am somewhat familiar with what makes a good tool, and the GTM doesn't check a lot of boxes for me(in a quality sense). It does look really awesome and the handles are nicely done. :)
Darn- the features seem awesome on it if they can get it right. I checked yest it had 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon & there were some negative reviews & a pic of one with one jaw of the pliers broken off. Maybe they are working out the issues with the manufacturer. Since its made in China Maybe they should have Henstrong make it- they seem like about the best Asain Multitool manufacturer- or Ganzo. (Unless Henstrong already makes Ganzo)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 04:52:52 AM
Good to read the reviews are good for the GTM.  :cheers:

It is worth trying one out. Amazon will pay return shipping if there is something wrong, if you buy Prime.  :)

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 05:22:28 PM
$40 gets a Leatherman Leap so...  :pok:

I can't look at these tools until they are proven worth. Weight?

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 05:26:50 PM
Anyone else thinking of making these a dedicated diagonal cutter multi tool? Those plier heads look beefy if the heat treat is good.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 06:36:43 PM
Anyone else thinking of making these a dedicated diagonal cutter multi tool? Those plier heads look beefy if the heat treat is good.

I had a real good stare at my Klein which have a similar cutter. It's doable but I can't see the benefit of making it a dedicated diagonal cutter. Maybe I am missing something or have not encounter anything the existing setup can't do/cut. But note i also have a very capable scissor all the time at work to clean cut zipties, even wires, cables etc..  :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:07 PM
$40 gets a Leatherman Leap so...  :pok:

I can't look at these tools until they are proven worth. Weight?

OK, at $40 we can get a leap, wingman, sidekick rebar, even a preowned wave and many other stuffs. All of them are very good users' tools and are time proven. Well, theres no fun if everyone sticks to the brand name tools. This particular design is pretty interesting imo, considering the Blunt nose, very large cutter and that bit driver. $40, yes I would agree that its rather high for a unknown tool, there's not even any review on it. I, shall be the guinea pig. Pretty excited, but at the same time, prepping myself for disappointment too. It's still be a long wait before I receive this...

se Offline RF52

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 08:00:48 PM
:popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Offline mikekoz

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 11:29:30 PM
   Like always, I will wait until Amazon has it. They have a real good return policy if it sucks, and I still have some Prime membership time available, so can get it fast!  >:D

us Offline cody6268

Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 03:09:38 AM
The Klein has their lifetime warranty, and has been $20 from Amazon for going on a year now. And quite frankly, even at the $40 it will cost you through an electrical supply house, it's a great deal.  Best pliers, cutters, driver, and in a lot of ways blade, in the industry.  Still, if the BlackFire goes on sale for around the $20 cost of the Klein, I'm getting one.

Yet this tool does not seem to be covered by any kind of warranty at all. They only mention flashlights and illumination products.

The normal life of the product
Flashlights and Illumination products (other than products containing rechargeable batteries)
One year from the date of purchase
Flashlights and Illumination products containing rechargeable batteries

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 06:58:39 AM
The Klein has their lifetime warranty, and has been $20 from Amazon for going on a year now. And quite frankly, even at the $40 it will cost you through an electrical supply house, it's a great deal.  Best pliers, cutters, driver, and in a lot of ways blade, in the industry.  Still, if the BlackFire goes on sale for around the $20 cost of the Klein, I'm getting one.

Yet this tool does not seem to be covered by any kind of warranty at all. They only mention flashlights and illumination products.

Totally agree with the Klein. The only thing is warranty doesn't work that way in many parts of the world.. U guys are lucky. Until recently things started getting a little bit more messy..  :whistle:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 04:45:29 PM
   I actually just ordered one from Home Depot. I should have it by next Tuesday! I will give my first impressions of it when it arrives!  :climber: 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:57:41 PM by mikekoz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD