Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife / Tool for fishing

de Offline Shuya

Knife / Tool for fishing
on: May 21, 2019, 11:07:46 AM
Hey folks,

since I started fishing again (and became a knifenut in the meantime  :climber:) I am thinking about a decend, low weight combo for the day.

Been trying a small MT (SOG PPP) plier handling is good, reachability of blade is not.
Then I took a favourite of mine, the Deluxe Tinker.
Nice nice, but again flimsy with wet fingers while holding string, no OHO.

Tools always combined with a small pointy Neck knife for the dirty work.

So I thought about getting dedicated tools. There are fishing pliers in the market, anyone got one of these?
Combined with a knife I should be good to go.

The requirements or tasks I have to do:
crimping shot, removing shot
crimping barbs
cutting line (oho scissors would be awesome, yet I have to fibd some)
lightweight

Did someone try to take a pocketknife fishing? Have a unused trapper and stockman here, thinking about it...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Knife / Tool for fishing
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:02:31 PM
It sounded like you might want something that has pliers, but everything OHO, maybe new leatherman free P2 or P4?

Something really lightweight is the leatherman leap, it has scissors and oho knife on the outside, but one of the lightest weight full size pliers MT out there.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:29:19 PM
I think that it's discontinued, but I find them new and used on eBay: the Buck X-Tract.  All the tools are OHO and locking.
X-Tract - 1.jpg
* X-Tract - 1.jpg (Filesize: 94.73 KB)
X-Tract - 2.jpg
* X-Tract - 2.jpg (Filesize: 53.24 KB)
X-Tract - 3.jpg
* X-Tract - 3.jpg (Filesize: 61.7 KB)
X-Tract - 4.jpg
* X-Tract - 4.jpg (Filesize: 65.99 KB)
- Steve

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:50:03 PM
That one looks nice!

Personally I like a fixed blade, fixed pliers and nailclippers when fishing. Much easier to keep clean than anything that fold up. But I have seen many people around here carrying waves when fishing

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:03:47 PM
Come to think about my earlier suggestions, the LM Free are definitely way overkill for this task.  The leap, I still think could be a good potential candidate with it's large pliers and light weight, and somewhat OHO for pliers/scissors/knife.

LM Wingman could be a choice too, being a simpler tool, it is lighter than the Wave/Charge options.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:05:44 PM
A Skeletool might fit the bill nicely.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 03:40:03 AM
I built mine, using the plier head out of a Winchester Multiplier clone fishing MT (which has crimpers, but mediocre cutters) and a Gerber Multiplier. Got rid of the pinching problem on the Multiplier, and the cheap internals on the Winchester. Our Walmarts have this tool. About $15.

On a camping trip, I had two folders (Craftsman USA Stockman, Spyderco UKPK), 3 SAKs (Fireman, backup Classic SD, and a banged up Craftsman which then was my tacklebox knife), an MT (Gerber Multiplier), and a fixed blade (Mora Clipper) on me--all the folders, no matter how little they were used got filled with sand (we were camped near a sandy riverbank on the Clinch River) and took all sorts of cleaning to get working.  Every one of us had a traditional folder on us; one had a Case 6318, my friend his 40-something year old Kabar Trapper, but one of my friends (the guy that owned the property we were all on) had a SOG Fielder, and another a CRKT fixed blade and his old Multiplier (his wife bought his new back when they came out). Quite frankly, when fishing, I'd carry a fixed blade or modern folder and a Gerber tool, since their tolerances are loose enough to not seize. Way easier to clean the gunk out.   The Mora got rinsed every time I cleaned a fish with it, and it was still good.

At present, I have two fillet knives (EKA with guthook, and a Rapala/Marttinni--which is very common and cheap in the US) and that modded Gerber specifically for fishing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%