Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Traveller set. Are they worth the money?

gb Offline Captain Sabretache

Hello All

I have been looking at the traveller set on the website for £120, but looking at the contents and shopping about, it looks like you could make a similar set up for for around £85 just by buying the components separately. Am i right in this or is there something i am missing? I'm a leatherman user but would like to invest in a SAK.
In a world of S**t the man with the peg on his nose is King.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.
Benson: Oh, you say such nice things, Master.
Evil: Yes I know, I'm sorry!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Traveller set. Are they worth the money?
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 11:32:56 AM
Yeah, if it's going to be your first SAK, I'm pretty sure your £120 (or even £85) could buy you something more useful/better than the Traveller Set. You could choose the SAK most suited to your needs freely and pair it with some budget compass/magnifier thingy and some other,  perhaps cheaper torch/flashlight. I don't know if the Maglite included in the set is the newer LED-model or the older incandescent one, but if it's the latter, it's definitely way overpriced.

Actually, what are you looking for in your future SAK, what functions do you need?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:03 AM
Yeah, if it's going to be your first SAK, I'm pretty sure your £120 (or even £85) could buy you something more useful/better than the Traveller Set. You could choose the SAK most suited to your needs freely and pair it with some budget compass/magnifier thingy and some other,  perhaps cheaper torch/flashlight. I don't know if the Maglite included in the set is the newer LED-model or the older incandescent one, but if it's the latter, it's definitely way overpriced.

Actually, what are you looking for in your future SAK, what functions do you need?

:iagree:

Unless it is for collecting, I too do think you might be able to get better gears with the same budget, or similar items with a cheaper price. 

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:00:03 PM

Hi Exeter

Thanks for the reply

The £85 figure i came up with included the LED maglite. The traveller kit doesn't specify if it is an LED or older model. But i agree as i have a compass and everything else i would need to make my own version of this set. As for what i would need something great for the outdoors, camping, bushcraft etc the corkscrew would be a waste of a tool as i would never use it. The Fieldmaster looks like it would cover my needs and the price is very good at only £25. But any recommendations on what would be a better alternative are welcome.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:00:59 PM

:iagree:

Unless it is for collecting, I too do think you might be able to get better gears with the same budget, or similar items with a cheaper price.

I definitely wouldn't say i was at the collecting stage yet. But since joining this forum my shopping list has expanded somewhat.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:06:06 PM
Hi Exeter

Thanks for the reply

The £85 figure i came up with included the LED maglite. The traveller kit doesn't specify if it is an LED or older model. But i agree as i have a compass and everything else i would need to make my own version of this set. As for what i would need something great for the outdoors, camping, bushcraft etc the corkscrew would be a waste of a tool as i would never use it. The Fieldmaster looks like it would cover my needs and the price is very good at only £25. But any recommendations on what would be a better alternative are welcome.

The Fieldmaster is a great choice for that, no doubt, and if you're okay with the bulk - and with you looking at the set, I assume perhaps you are -, you could just get a Swisschamp and have everything covered. (Am I right in thinking that 111mm models are out of the question because of blade length and locking?)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:28 PM
The Traveller set is shockingly bad value for money! The Huntsman can be had for a quarter of what they're asking and the rest is nothing special.
I'd sooner get a 3rd party pouch (Maxpedition or Tasmanian Tiger) and fill it with your choice of SAK, compass, and other goodies. 100 quid can buy quite a lot of useful stuff.

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:11 PM
The Fieldmaster is a great choice for that, no doubt, and if you're okay with the bulk - and with you looking at the set, I assume perhaps you are -, you could just get a Swisschamp and have everything covered. (Am I right in thinking that 111mm models are out of the question because of blade length and locking?)

Yes that's correct. Unfortunately UK law prohibits any locking knives or blades over a certain length, so the 111mm would be a no no, but i wouldn't be carrying it around on the street. It would be part of my camping gear. The bulk i don't feel would be an issue as i would be carrying it in belt pouch . And as for the set it would seem a waste of money not being a collector. I could buy a swiss champ and pouch for £60 and be saving a fortune.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:13 PM
Can't go wrong with the Swissclump - great SAK!  :cheers:

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:37 PM
The Traveller set is shockingly bad value for money! The Huntsman can be had for a quarter of what they're asking and the rest is nothing special.
I'd sooner get a 3rd party pouch (Maxpedition or Tasmanian Tiger) and fill it with your choice of SAK, compass, and other goodies. 100 quid can buy quite a lot of useful stuff.

After some sage advice from you gents i am definitely not going to buy it. A swiss champ covers everything and costs less than half the price

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:39:16 PM
Yes that's correct. Unfortunately UK law prohibits any locking knives or blades over a certain length, so the 111mm would be a no no, but i wouldn't be carrying it around on the street. It would be part of my camping gear. The bulk i don't feel would be an issue as i would be carrying it in belt pouch . And as for the set it would seem a waste of money not being a collector. I could buy a swiss champ and pouch for £60 and be saving a fortune.

I also live in the UK and what you've said is somewhat incorrect, UK law does not currently outright prohibit locking knifes or blades over a certain length.

At present what it does do is outright ban certain items as weapons and restrict others to collectors or museums. Most other knives are legal to own but have restrictions on being carried in public.

Folding non-locking knives with a blade length of 3 Inches or less however are perfectly legal to carry in most public places, certain places such as schools are not covered with out a good reason.

Here's a link to some of the legislation.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139     

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 03:06:07 PM
I also live in the UK and what you've said is somewhat incorrect, UK law does not currently outright prohibit locking knifes or blades over a certain length.

At present what it does do is outright ban certain items as weapons and restrict others to collectors or museums. Most other knives are legal to own but have restrictions on being carried in public.

Folding non-locking knives with a blade length of 3 Inches or less however are perfectly legal to carry in most public places, certain places such as schools are not covered with out a good reason.

Here's a link to some of the legislation.

:hatsoff: I stand corrected :hatsoff: thanks for the link :tu:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139     

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 05:17:57 PM
Your very welcome, I'm glad I was able to help.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%