Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone EDC food?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Anyone EDC food?
on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:35 PM
I always keep mints in the car, usually Wintergreen Life Savers, but often other things as well.  I get the Life Savers in a good sized pack at the dollar store and keep it in the center console, and when they aren't there I really miss them.  I also used to carry granola bars in the Jeep for times when I was stuck on a job for a long time, or was in a place where food was not easily obtained.

I don't really consider that EDC, as I'm not really carrying it- ie, it is not on my person.  However, with the new Maxpedition Neatfreak I think I could allocate a pocket to a granola bar or something similar, and I was wondering if anyone else brings along a little snack with them?

Or is just thinking about it the reason I am fat?   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Anyone EDC food?
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:34:08 PM
Yeah.
Food is a big deal for me.
Almost always make sure there is food in the pockets, bag or truck.

:facepalm:

And water.
Water is pretty important too.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:47:01 PM
Any specific types of food that you gravitate to?  I like the Life Savers and granola bars because they are individually packaged and easy to carry.  I have given serious thought to beef jerky, but then I a just going to be constantly eating which isn't going to help the afore mentioned obesity issue.   :facepalm:

Water is a good one too, although I don't usually carry it unless I am planning to be active.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 02:34:15 PM
In my small edc bag I have a tin of mints, chewing gum, Mentos (the individually packed ones), and something else. A small container of peanuts/Maltesers, or a baggie of M&Ms, or a few Mini Twix/Mars bars. And a 500ml bottle of water.  :popcorn:
We need more food smilies. :pok:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 02:46:17 PM
I don't EDC food per se, but whenever I go on a photography trip overseas, I usually do stock up food on car and luggage.  Often time I wake up 3-4am in the morning to catch a sunrise, or stay up late for night photography, and those food are certainly life saver since most restaurants don't open that early or late.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:53:11 PM
YES.  I have a pantry in my vehicle.  I always have some type of bars in there.  Cliff are my favorite but I'm not picky.  I also have crackers with peanut butter.  I keep tuna in the pouch in there as well.  Those are really handy.  I eat that with crackers but I cannot keep them in there too long or they go stale.  Fruit cups are in there.  I tend to keep a case of water along with crystal lite when I get bored of just water and want a little flavor.  I like dried fruits too so I keep some in there.  Beef jerky is good to have but I don't always keep it since it can get pricy.   

My vehicle pantry needs restocking as I've had one heck of a busy time.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:56:58 PM
Yeah.
Food is a big deal for me.
Almost always make sure there is food in the pockets, bag or truck.

And water.
Water is pretty important too.

:iagree: Normally those little overpriced cereal bar thingys... I become a complete smurf if my blood sugar takes a dive.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 02:59:17 PM
YES.  I have a pantry in my vehicle.  I always have some type of bars in there.  Cliff are my favorite but I'm not picky.  I also have crackers with peanut butter.  I keep tuna in the pouch in there as well.  Those are really handy.  I eat that with crackers but I cannot keep them in there too long or they go stale.  Fruit cups are in there.  I tend to keep a case of water along with crystal lite when I get bored of just water and want a little flavor.  I like dried fruits too so I keep some in there.  Beef jerky is good to have but I don't always keep it since it can get pricy.   

My vehicle pantry needs restocking as I've had one heck of a busy time.

:like:... Just...  :like:  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 03:07:48 PM
EDC?  :think:

Not really.

However, there are always some Lifesavers or similar bits of hard candy in the truck. For road trips, I often mix up a little GORP and bring that along--as well as a bottle or six of water. On the motorcycle, I usually keep some small packages of nuts and some water in the tan bag.  When it's cold and snowy out, the cars get equipped with food bars or an MRE. Stuck and cold is better than stuck, cold, and hungry.

But, just bopping around town? Nah.

If I'm going fishing or out for a day hike, etc...., then, yes, I'll pack some sort of trail mix/GORP and an energy bar. For a while, I decided Snickers candy bars were cheaper, but they get messy in the heat, so I'm back to Cliff bars or Laura bars or something similar.

Peanut M&M's make a nice snack that you can meter out over the course of a day or unexpected night. I like the hi-vis yellow package they come in, too. And as one explorer once put it: "No expedition ever failed for having too much chocolate."

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 03:16:32 PM
Any specific types of food that you gravitate to?  I like the Life Savers and granola bars because they are individually packaged and easy to carry.  I have given serious thought to beef jerky, but then I a just going to be constantly eating which isn't going to help the afore mentioned obesity issue.   :facepalm:

Water is a good one too, although I don't usually carry it unless I am planning to be active.

Def

Fresh or dried fruits, various nuts, bars, tuna, leftovers, anything the kids haven't eaten, anything on special when shopping.
Beef jerky and salami etc are quite nice but also expensive.
Constantly eating isn't really a problem if you're working it off.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 04:33:27 PM
Well some fat on ones bones actually is EDC food. The best kind, the kind you never leave behind. Just don't overdo it...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:27 PM
Usually a granola bar, some mints and a couple of those water mix thingys, I hate straight water, so there’s a few mixes, I had a pic of a custom little tin I made but idk where I posted it on here..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 05:13:54 PM
I take that back I “used to” carry one of these, a little chicken / tuna salad mix that had mayo and crackers, just mix it up on the spot, and was a good little snack, I also had one of these, nice little spam single, that might still be in my larger backpack, only problem is I like it cooked and well it ain’t..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27:32 AM
I always have a bottle of water or 2 and a couple of Zone Bars in each of my EDC bags and I rotate them to keep them fresh regularly.  Sure you could plan to eat at a convenient time if you know you're going to be near stores or restaurants during your day but I carry water and Zone bars for the unplanned delays, such as when I'm stuck in traffic, or waiting for an appointment that's running late, or for when I otherwise just can't get to a store or a restaurant. Jerky wouldn't work for me, because I'd eat it all and thus wouldn't have it in an emergency, and, I couldn't have something like the pouches of tuna even though I think they're a grand idea, because they would spoil too quickly in the heat if left in the vehicles.  The Zone bars have proven satisfactory for my EDC needs for several years now.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 05:10:53 AM
I don't EDC food, but I do try to keep at least half a case of water in each of my vehicles, plus enough coats, blankets, and sleeping bags to stay reasonably warm in the event I have to spend one or more nights in my car in the coldest weather I'm likely to encounter.

Reasons I don't typically carry food on my person or in my vehicles:
  • A substantially meaningful amount of food (as opposed to just a small snack) is going to take up a substantial amount of space/weight.
  • It's difficult to find decent food that will tolerate being stored in a vehicle for a long time.
  • I'm not likely to starve to death, even in an emergency (part 1):  remember, three minutes without oxygen, three hours without shelter, three days without water, three weeks without food
  • I'm not likely to starve to death, even in an emergency (part 2):  I'm already EDCing a lot of extra calories, in the form of fat, mostly around my mid-section.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 10:40:29 AM

:like: :iagree:

Same here, I agree with the principle of 3, I don't know whether I will last 3 weeks without food, but to me, the need to drink/filter water is more immediate.  Besides, eating will require more water to digest, and not eating enough actually may burn calories faster in a real survival situation(unless diabetic, that's another story)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 04:44:04 PM
You guys are technically right about not needing food for days or even weeks. (I've gone without food for a week or so and know this is true.)

However, don't underestimate the tremendous benefit of a mug of hot instant soup when you are dying from hypothermia. (I know about this, too.)

Remember the first rule of being lost: stop and eat something.

The actual calories might not be all that important, but the psychological comfort of some warm food (or just food) is hard to overstate. I carry food with me not to survive, but to have that psychological edge. I'm stuck in a snow drift, but, I can light a fire and eat a snack. Life has gone from being uncomfortable to fun.

This is why military survival rations contain things like instant soup and 'Lifesavers'. Will those calories make much of a difference? Probably not. But, your brain runs on glucose, so, in a tough situation, a Lifesaver may actually be a life saver.

A little 'food for thought.'  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 05:28:37 PM
You guys are technically right about not needing food for days or even weeks. (I've gone without food for a week or so and know this is true.)

However, don't underestimate the tremendous benefit of a mug of hot instant soup when you are dying from hypothermia. (I know about this, too.)

Remember the first rule of being lost: stop and eat something.

The actual calories might not be all that important, but the psychological comfort of some warm food (or just food) is hard to overstate. I carry food with me not to survive, but to have that psychological edge. I'm stuck in a snow drift, but, I can light a fire and eat a snack. Life has gone from being uncomfortable to fun.

This is why military survival rations contain things like instant soup and 'Lifesavers'. Will those calories make much of a difference? Probably not. But, your brain runs on glucose, so, in a tough situation, a Lifesaver may actually be a life saver.

A little 'food for thought.'  :D

That's true too, can't argue with the candy! :D :cheers:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 07:54:14 PM
I keep instant soup and instant mashed potato in the car as well as water of course. If I'm going on a day trip then I supplement with nuts and homemade jerky. I like eating light on trips. I've avoided chocolate, it's 95f here at present and that's not a good recipe for longer term in car storage but I should have candy for extra energy. I should have thought about that. A packet of skittles or mentos to hand. I shall rectify the situation next time I go to the store!  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 08:14:47 PM
Back in the day when driving I used to have a very big tote, 3/4 car supply’s the other 1/4 human needs, a first aid kit, a sak, sweatpants and t-shirt, blanket, matches, flashlight, and food, granola bar, spam, and one of those things I posted with the crackers, unfortunately I couldn’t keep water in the back come winter.
JR

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 05:25:22 AM
...unfortunately I couldn’t keep water in the back come winter.

Sometimes the water I keep in the vehicles freezes in the winter.  I've had (unopened) standard store-bought disposable plastic water bottles go through any number of freeze/thaw cycles, but they don't seem to leak or otherwise be any the worse for wear as a result.  I also keep a stainless steel cup and a couple of cans of Sterno in the vehicles in case I need to melt ice or snow.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 06:06:22 AM
Sometimes the water I keep in the vehicles freezes in the winter.  I've had (unopened) standard store-bought disposable plastic water bottles go through any number of freeze/thaw cycles, but they don't seem to leak or otherwise be any the worse for wear as a result.  I also keep a stainless steel cup and a couple of cans of Sterno in the vehicles in case I need to melt ice or snow.
My luck the bottle would have cracked
JR

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 07:43:12 AM
Heat is the enemy where I reside. Easy to get to above 190F temps , in cars left in the sun. Over the past two decades I have had excellent results with the Mainstay brand emergency water pouches and Mainstay emergency food rations. They do exceptionally well with extreme heat and cold. I rotate them out every two years. Great peace of mind knowing those items are in the vehicles of my family members. And take up minimal space. It's the vehicle first aid kits that need almost constant attention due to the heat.

I've tried storing beef jerky, but I have no self control with good beef jerky.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 09:44:41 AM
I have little experience with real winter but it seems to me that if you kept water bottles in an insulated cooler that it would prevent them from freezing or at least contain the spill if any bottles did burst from freezing. Just a thought.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:56 PM
In Winter, I fill my water bottles only 3/4 full. When the water freezes, and it always does, the ice has some space to expand. I had a steel water bottle deform once when it was too full and froze in the tank bag of my motorcycle. Lesson learned.   :facepalm:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 03:27:08 AM
My luck the bottle would have cracked
JR

Not likely, based on my experience.  With regard to the standard disposable plastic bottles (16.9 fluid ounces), I buy and store them in my vehicles by the case, and have been doing this for a number of years.  They do freeze at times during the winter here in PA.  Freezing sometimes tends to deform the bottles a bit, but the plastic seems to be pliable enough to deform without cracking, and I don't ever recall a bottle leaking due to freeze/thaw cycles.  The very few times I've had one leak, I'm pretty sure it was due to blunt force trauma, i.e. me carelessly tossing something heavy on top of a loose bottle.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 04:04:25 AM
Not likely, based on my experience.  With regard to the standard disposable plastic bottles (16.9 fluid ounces), I buy and store them in my vehicles by the case, and have been doing this for a number of years.  They do freeze at times during the winter here in PA.  Freezing sometimes tends to deform the bottles a bit, but the plastic seems to be pliable enough to deform without cracking, and I don't ever recall a bottle leaking due to freeze/thaw cycles.  The very few times I've had one leak, I'm pretty sure it was due to blunt force trauma, i.e. me carelessly tossing something heavy on top of a loose bottle.
Where in Pa, I think I asked before
JR

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 02:12:08 AM
Where in Pa, I think I asked before
JR

Near Williamsport; kind of north-central PA.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 02:31:21 AM
Near Williamsport; kind of north-central PA.
We did a few years in Philly and a few years in a couple diff towns below Scranton, Pennsylvania
JR

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 05:36:53 AM
I don‘t EDC food but i always have a trail mix of variety of nuts and pretzels in my car. I get grumpy when i am hungry  :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%