Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Hornet

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Gerber Hornet
on: February 28, 2007, 01:05:28 AM
Anyone else have one of these?  I picked one up on clearance today and I'm not certain what I think of it yet.

Kinda handy, but I am wondering if it's a little too gadgety, even for me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Gerber Hornet
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:31:56 AM
Def
that is a wierd little doodad. Ya got anything to put it to scale? Also how is the light output with it.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:55 AM
Is it supposed to be a work lamp? Not a flashlight, right?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:40:16 AM
It's a work light, a camp light, a flashlight and a warning or caution light.  It has a red LED as well with a constant on and flashing modes and seems like a great idea for keeping in the car.

As you can see, it's pretty bulky so not something you would want to edc, but would live happily in a trunk, glove compartment or with the rest of your camping/hunting/fishing gear.

Def
Hornet01.JPG
* Hornet01.JPG (Filesize: 37.83 KB)
Hornet02.JPG
* Hornet02.JPG (Filesize: 43.83 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 02:40:59 AM
Also, it's water resistant, came with a lanyard and the coolest part- it has Gerber batteries!

Def
Hornet03.JPG
* Hornet03.JPG (Filesize: 42.51 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 03:31:29 AM
Here's the link to Gerber's Info on it:

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=0053

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:33:51 AM
Let me take a wild guess; you got it at your nearby Canadian Tire store?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:40:22 AM
Yeah- I have looked at them there many times and never got one because they seemed a little pricey.  It was $10 off and unfortunately the last one or I may have bought more.

It was still a little priceir than I would have liked, but that's just me being cheap.  My wife asked me if there were others because she thinks her father would like it.  He's cheaper than I am...

Def

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 07:35:36 PM
if it is not too heavy could be a nice camping light, but i doubt i would use it fr anything else, i also tend to prefer headlamps for that matters

Esteban

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:15:56 PM
I think you nailed it on the head when you said "Gadgety".

Unfortunately, many of Gerber's designs of late tend to lean in that direction.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:18:17 PM
Yeah, but it comes in several pretty colors!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 12:32:49 AM
I haven't gotten the hang of shooting stuff in the dark yet, but the Hornet seems nicely suited to being a camp or area light.  I wouldn't want to try and read by it, but for finding things in a tent or in a dark room during a power outage (like trying to go potty) it seems to be a good light.  Bright enough to see, dim enough not to burn out your retinas when you turn it on.

Given the large numbers of lights available nowadays that can stun large animals at 5 miles away with their intensity, it's nice to see something that is bright enough to do it's job without going overboard.  It's actually growing on me a little bit.  It's still too bulky for edc, but it will definately accompany me on my next camping trip.

Def
Hornet04.JPG
* Hornet04.JPG (Filesize: 16.57 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 03:21:26 AM
The suspense is killing me; I'm still waiting for you to tell us what it looks like! 

Like a piggy? Like R2D2? What?   ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 03:26:35 AM
This is pretty well what it reminds me of, but other than the tripod stance, there is very little resemblance.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 02:04:30 PM

Given the large numbers of lights available nowadays that can stun large animals at 5 miles away with their intensity, it's nice to see something that is bright enough to do it's job without going overboard. 

That is exactly why I love the Gerber Infinity Ultra.  Just enough light for dark-adjusted eyes, and SUPER LONG runtime.  Plus, it can easily be used as a headlamp clipped to a baseball cap.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 02:33:27 AM
Yeah- I have looked at them there many times and never got one because they seemed a little pricey.  It was $10 off and unfortunately the last one or I may have bought more.

Def

It's probably just as well that they only had the one....I don't have any more CD-ROM disks to send you for setting them on.   :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 02:04:48 PM
Well, after having used ot for some time now I can definately say that it isn't for EDC due to it's bulkiness, but for a camp light or safetly light for the glove box it would be almost ideal.

It can be set up as a lantern, as a warning light, or on an angle to throw light on something specific, like a tire when you are changing it.  I would like it a little brighter, but it does the job.  I'd also like to see a little friendlier price tag, especially since it has a plastic body.  They'd make their money back because folks would likely buy several.  I know I would.

If you use them as emergency lights and you get a flat tire, you want to have at least one behind your car, flashing red to warn other motorists, and another lighting up the tire you are changing.  A three pack would be just about perfect, and would probably sell well, especially around Christmas.  But, at about $40 each, I am not certain I need them that much.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 12:54:43 PM
Is much of the light projected out the top?  If so, it needs something to reflect that light in a radial pattern for outdoor use.  It should be OK for an indoor lantern if you have a ceiling to bounce the light off of, but who needs an indoor lantern?
- Terry

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 05:10:21 AM
Def--did you really say to use it to go potty with??    :laugh:

In the USA, they only sell tires at our tire stores.   You Cannuckistanians think of everything, dontcha??  SO is Canadian Tire like you're Wally World?  Or more like Western Auto used to be here??

BTW...odd looking little light there.  Might be good for just sitting around at the picnic table at night chatting and having a few beers whilst camping.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 12:06:47 PM
Yes a fair percentage of light is thrown out the top even when in "lantern mode" so I thought about putting something on the top- some kind of cover.

Wal*Mart is our version of Wal*Mart, Zellers is our version of Target (although we are supposed to be getting that up here soon too) and Canadian Tire is like Pep Boys and Sears put together.  Most of them have full service mechanic bays, a significant tool section, auto parts & tires, housewares, camping and outdoors stuff, appliances, furniture, ATV's etc.  In fact, you can see them at www.canadiantire.com if you want to look around.  It's pretty cool.  No red blooded Canadian male can resist the allure of Canadian Tire.  There's also usually a hot dog stand right out front.  If they sold beer too it would be perfect....

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 07:22:04 PM
It sounds like an expanded Pep Boys like you said...The ones down here don't have any camping supplies or housewares though.  Good selection of tools though...even the 'made in china' stuff is probably the highest quality you can get from that country. There's a good amount of stuff that's high quality made in the USA also. 
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD