Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement
on: May 22, 2019, 09:20:13 AM
I'm debating on whether or not to attempt this repair myself, watched several vids and I can get the parts and winding bars on ebay. One thing I don't trust is my 5' aluminum ladder, I would prefer a 6' fiberglass, but would have to purchase one...that and my shoulders are not quite what they used to be, have had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago but I still have pain in both shoulders, and this is not the easiest repair, and potentially dangerous.

Just wondering if anyone has done this themselves or just called a door company, and what it cost you, thanks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:37 AM
I say go for it.
The fact that you can watch a video and you already know what the end should look like are both positives.
Just be patient and take your time.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:17:33 AM
Did you get a price on having it done by a door guy? My garage door spring broke my nephew a general contractor called the guy he uses he changed it took him about ten minutes he told no charge I gave him fifty dollars anyhow he told me that is what normally for a spring replacement. Now that was three years ago. Like any pro he maid it look easy I could see that if you make a mistake things could really bad in a hurry. You are going have to make the call if you are confident you can do it yourself without hurting yourself. On a side note, he told that when I lube the door hinges to spray the springs as well it keeps them from binding and makes them last a lot longer.     
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:23:17 AM
I just need to get my measurements right, they make a lot of different variations/lengths, widths, number of coils and the direction they turn, then I have to calculate how many turns to tension the new spring to cause the old one broke so I can't count the turns as if I was doing a removal, but I found some charts to calculate that as well...I don't know how we survived before the internet.

It does give me a good excuse to get a nice 6' ladder tho  :rofl:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:12 AM
Mike I'm not sure we are talking about the same spring, this is the large one that is over the door, I've seen smaller ones that go elsewhere,

Home depot sells some smaller ones that I think go on the sides in some instances.
This thing is very big, and thick steel that has to be set to a tension with special bars, kinda tricky, but like Zoid said just need to take your time.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:00:13 AM
I've heard stories about garage door springs. :dwts:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 11:48:22 AM
Be very, very careful with garage door springs- or really any springs.  They store a lot of energy, and can cause some serious problems. 

The garage door spring, if not handled properly, can cause serious injury and/or death if not handled properly.  It can also cause serious damage to the surrounding area.  If you are careful, and decide to attempt it, make sure you are not there alone when you do.  Professional garage door installers never work alone because they know how serious it can be.

Also, keep in mind that if the spring is old, rusty or damaged, the metal could be subject to fatigue and, even if you do everything properly, the shock can cause a fragmentation that makes bad things happen very quickly.

I'm not saying don't do it, I am just suggesting that you should be well aware of what you are getting into before you do.  :D

It's a lot easier to clean up someone else's blood and organs when you are healthy than cleaning up your own... when your blood and organs are just lying around.  Trust me on that one....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:26:00 PM
Mike I'm not sure we are talking about the same spring, this is the large one that is over the door, I've seen smaller ones that go elsewhere,

(Image removed from quote.)

Home depot sells some smaller ones that I think go on the sides in some instances.
This thing is very big, and thick steel that has to be set to a tension with special bars, kinda tricky, but like Zoid said just need to take your time.

That's the spring some have one and some have two. Guys that install those doors have tons of used springs laying around they save for repairs. You having a bad rotator cuff I wonder if you would be able to tighten the spring you have to use both arms and the spring has to have a lot of tension. 
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 05:32:45 PM
My rental a few years ago had the same issue.  I initially tried to fool with it before my better judgement kicked in plus it was prop management problem.  They guy that came made it look really simple but he's had years experience. 

I'd get quotes and if reasonable pay and ask a bunch of questions so IF it happens again you can DIY. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 06:22:15 PM
This is a job for someone who does it for a living.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 06:33:46 PM
My dad did it for me...
And I wasn't even at home when he did :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 06:44:47 PM
My dad did it for me...
And I wasn't even at home when he did :facepalm:
At least you're the security system installation master. :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 06:53:34 PM
Thanks I guess :rofl:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 08:31:53 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I got a quote that was only about $60 more then the cost of the parts and new ladder so, I’m going with that and don’t have to worry about getting beaten up by a door  :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 08:47:15 PM
Sounds overly reasonable... :D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 03:13:46 AM
Sounds overly reasonable... :D

Yeah, and I was just doing some vacuuming for less than an hour and both my shoulders are  :cry:  :cry: , so this is probably for the best

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%