Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Notebooks

gb Offline Captain Sabretache

EDC Notebooks
on: May 22, 2019, 01:12:42 PM
Afternoon Multitoolers

I noticed there was no thread for this subject so i thought why not start one. I don't doubt that many of us carry a trusty notebook around to jot down lists, thoughts, ideas for your next mod or to keep track of your collections, or ales you've tried. From what i've seen online there is almost an entire culture surrounding notebooks and their uses. From the notebooks of history's greatest thinkers artists and musicians to your general scribblers and everyday notetakers. Some are happy with a simple poundland/ Dollar store notebook whilst others like myself prefer to spend a bit more on a Moleskine or something equally durable with good quality paper.

I would love to hear your thought on the subject. If you carry a notebook. What type do you carry? what do you use it for? and how does it assist you as part of your EDC.

CS

In a world of S**t the man with the peg on his nose is King.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.
Benson: Oh, you say such nice things, Master.
Evil: Yes I know, I'm sorry!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: EDC Notebooks
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:14:08 PM
From cheap to quality I like them all.  Each is used for certain purposes so to have a selection is nice. 
My Maxpeditin 3X5 with cheap notebook is used for work daily. 
My Rite in the Rain with 2 pads is for home use.
The black pouch to the far right is just back ups and pen holder. 
The bottom large case is my compass kit. 

I've been carrying a pad of paper of some kind for a very long time.  My youngest has a large selection of pens ( fountain and other ) to pads of paper from hand crafted to store bought.  We all love notebooks.     
IMG_7230.jpg
* IMG_7230.jpg (Filesize: 227.94 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:32:46 PM
I have a few, but this is my edc, I made a crappy leather one but I found someone and showed the Mrs, so as a Xmas gift she had one made for me, it fits a mini composition book so when done just swap it out,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:36:00 PM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:58:16 PM
From cheap to quality I like them all.  Each is used for certain purposes so to have a selection is nice. 
My Maxpeditin 3X5 with cheap notebook is used for work daily. 
My Rite in the Rain with 2 pads is for home use.
The black pouch to the far right is just back ups and pen holder. 
The bottom large case is my compass kit. 

I've been carrying a pad of paper of some kind for a very long time.  My youngest has a large selection of pens ( fountain and other ) to pads of paper from hand crafted to store bought.  We all love notebooks.     

:like: That's a great collection Aloha. Im still working my way through the different brands to find what works best for me. I've heard the Rhodia are very sturdy.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 07:02:48 PM
I have a few, but this is my edc, I made a crappy leather one but I found someone and showed the Mrs, so as a Xmas gift she had one made for me, it fits a mini composition book so when done just swap it out,
JR

:like: Thats a really nice case JR. I bought a very nice leather one for my notebook but it wasnt working for me. So still looking for the right one. I might even turn my hand to leatherwork and see if i can make one.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:29:06 PM by Captain Sabretache »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:13:00 PM
Thank you.  Like I said we love our pads.  I got Rhodia because my daughter wanted to get into fountain pens.  I picked up a few pads for us to try out as well as steno pads and other pads of Rhodia paper.  She loves them.  I only use ink pens so truthfully the cheap Wally World pads work fine.  I take out the metal spiral thing normally as you can see on the pad facing backwards.  I use inner strands of paracord to lace up the pad.  I like the Moleskine pad very much.  Its a great pad with that hard cover.  I like the elastic strap that keep the pad closed and the page marker inside. 

Rite in the Rain are nice.  I use them mostly for outdoor use.  My Rite in the Rain pad cover is used for at home notes.  Fertilizer schedules, ideas, notes on maintenance.  I dont worry about the paper if my hands are wet.  I think its worth the money in situations where that is a high possibility. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 07:28:18 PM
I've discovered that the moleskine has really good ink retention. I got soaked in the rain and my notebook got wet but the ink didnt run at all and there was only some slight wrinkling of the pages.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 07:37:31 PM
Good to hear.  I like to write down things I NEED to remember.  I use my phones note pad as well but theres nothing like having it written down on paper for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 07:37:47 PM
+1 on the rite in the rain, the only thing really diff is the texture of the paper, feels a little diff because of it being waterproof,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 07:40:26 PM
Here’s three others, the one I made, it’s a tad longer, but I made one just like it to fit the mini composition books did it the old school way like you had to make the book covers for school with the old paper bags, just out of leather,,
JR

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42:10 PM
Ive read the rite in the rains notebooks come highly rated but ive never neen able to get on with spiralbound notebooks the spiral always ends up getting damaged and squished and makes it awkward to open.

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 07:43:21 PM
Here’s three others, the one I made, it’s a tad longer, but I made one just like it to fit the mini composition books did it the old school way like you had to make the book covers for school with the old paper bags, just out of leather,,
JR

:like: nice handywork JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 07:43:50 PM
Take it out and use cord to lace up the pad.  Its a great way to get that note book pocket friendly too. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 07:44:30 PM
Right thus why I went with the composition books, no spiral,
But I’ve seen the same size notebooks without the spiral.
JR

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 07:45:29 PM
Take it out and use cord to lace up the pad.  Its a great way to get that note book pocket friendly too.

Thats a great idea Aloha.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 07:47:19 PM

That's a great tip!  I don't EDC notebooks since I totally migrated to digital few years back, but I used to carry a moleskine for daily schedule/dairy, and Rite in Rain whenever I am making notes when camping.  I do miss reading those dairies from Moleskine, since it is not the same thing when digital.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 07:50:24 PM
Yup, always have a couple of these on me. One as a notebook, the other as a journal. I go through about 5-6 a year. Clairfontaine 3X5", excellent with fountain pens as well as everything else. Cheap (especially in Europe) and really high quality.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 07:52:48 PM
That's a great tip!  I don't EDC notebooks since I totally migrated to digital few years back, but I used to carry a moleskine for daily schedule/dairy, and Rite in Rain whenever I am making notes when camping.  I do miss reading those dairies from Moleskine, since it is not the same thing when digital.

I often use mine just for noting down observations on wildlife or pubs I've visited. Also ideas for inventions or woodworking projects.  But Mrs Sabretache like to write shopping lists in them otherwise i forget everything im supposed to buy and just come back with beer and crisps.

Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:26 PM
Yup, always have a couple of these on me. One as a notebook, the other as a journal. I go through about 5-6 a year. Clairfontaine 3X5", excellent with fountain pens as well as everything else. Cheap (especially in Europe) and really high quality.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks Pomsbz I'll add it to the list of notebooks to try.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:57 PM
Those are really nice high quality notebooks pomsbz.  That was the other option when looking into paper for my daughters fountain pens. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 07:58:00 PM
The real question to start it all is “what size do you want”? After that then you can figure what type you want to go with..
JR

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 08:02:44 PM
The real question to start it all is “what size do you want”? After that then you can figure what type you want to go with..
JR

Im pretty happy with the 9x14 size of the moleskine classic but am also going to try the reporters flip up notebook of a similar size

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 08:06:50 PM
That’s that rite in the rain flip up I posted
9 x 14 is  = 3 1/2 x 5 1/2”
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 08:10:45 PM
It normal size is 3 x 5”
JR

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 08:14:30 PM
Those are really nice high quality notebooks pomsbz.  That was the other option when looking into paper for my daughters fountain pens.

I use their notepads also for paper, great for letters and notes.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 09:15:54 PM
I always have some notebook and a pencil or leadholder. Since I'm part of the graphite conspiracy, pretty much any paper of acceptable quality works fine. So, I like picking up notebooks when I travel for the variation and the memento. I use them for jotting down ideas, and as problem solving tools. I use writing as part of the mental process; the written word as road markers for the mind. I tend to repeat myself, in other words walk mentally in circles, if the problem is too large or hard if I don't use tools like paper and pencil.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:02 PM
I don't use a specific type of note pad because I get so many of them for free. It just needs to fit in my shirt pocket and I'm happy with it. I go through one about every month or so.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 09:38:05 PM
Well that’s nice, free!
The front shirt pocket is for the sunglasses, ( a must ) so with that leather case and a hankie it goes in the empty back pocket, nice thing is it balances out with the wallet!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 07:24:24 AM
Another little trick I used to do was take an index card and cut it up into like three pieces and store it in my wallet, I mean heck I even have a absolute mini fak and even sunglasses in it, thus why a notebook was good to counterbalance the other side, lol..
If your going to attempt your hand at leather let me know, I ain’t the best but I’d be happy to try and help..
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%