Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I get a Charge? (Honest question...)

Offline Radrler

Should I get a Charge? (Honest question...)
on: May 22, 2019, 11:03:08 AM
Ok, please don’t stone me.

First of all, I get that it’s supposed to be this ultimate Leatherman. Or rather, that’s the impression I got. Second of all, obviously, I’m inclined to get it. I’m a sucker for pretty things in general (good luck dating with THAT attitude...)

However, having done some cursory research, it seems there’s some quality issues with the line-up that weren’t there with the Wave. Some consistent complaints about the scissors (which I use a lot).

Would I be better off with a Wave??? I just know “upgrading” would be a constant temptation. I’d go with a Surge, it’s got some nice scissors, if it wasn’t for my Disney princess-sized hands :( On that note, the Spirit would be great, but it doesn’t have OH blades. So, I’m kind of leaning Charge-wise.

So is the TTI a tool for real work? Is there specifically a TTI quality issue and the AL models are fine? Are those just bad apples???

Lately, I’m beginning to think the Gerber Legend I work with is as close to perfection as I’m going to get: it’s got MONSTER pliers and wire-cutters, OH blade AND OH scissors (which aren’t too shabby at all), and I even found an off-the shelf wood saw that fits in the saw-driver. Basically, I’m just missing the Leatherman bit kit, a can opener and the Charge’s prettiness.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Should I get a Charge? (Honest question...)
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:53:48 AM
I probably not the right person to answer this question, for I am a tool enthusiasts and I do like offerings from many camps. :facepalm:

I do own different versions of them.  There used to be tool offerings that differentiate Wave vs Charge, but nowadays, I think the difference are not as substantial.  Charge does have a very clever mechanism to keep the blade docked when the pliers head is out(not sure the latest Wave has the same now), better steel for blade S30V and a cutting hook.  With the Ti handles, one can say Charge has a more refined look than Wave, and it might offer a little extra grip than the Wave smooth handles.  But weight wise, they are practically the same thing.

In terms of 'real work', I think that could be very subjective opinions.  Personally, I would say yes to this, but I am not a trades person nor do I need a tool box to fix things in apartment on a daily basis.  I think MT are originally designed as a "quick fix" handy tool, it may covers what most non-trade people needs 80% of the time, but never could replace the real trade tools efficiency and effectiveness. 

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:31:07 PM
You could buy the Wave and then get the blade upgrades from loki here on the forum if that is a deciding factor.
I have a Charge Ti I almost never use so I bought a Wave instead as a user. Either one will serve you well for a long time

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:31:15 PM
I carry a Charge + most days (a Charge Al with new plier head and gut hook serrated blade) :cheers: I also carry a Wave and between those I really don't notice a difference ;) I got the Charge in a great deal that SteveC found on eBay :cheers: I don't have a Tti or any variation of the titanium models and other than it being thicker in hand that the Al or Wave, there really isn't much difference in them :salute: The quality issues are hit and miss with the newer models unfortunately and if you are really going to use it for work then they are only minor issues for the most part :tu: I have good examples or maybe I am not a picky as others :shrug:

Anyway my suggestion is to get a BO Wave if you are buying new as they will be the best price :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:14:35 PM
To be honest, a vast number of quality complaints boil down to the blades or file brushing against the handle scale insides; or the front to back lockup isn't 100%.  The scissors, while not great, do work quite well. There are other recorded issues, but those are just proportionate failure issues that can be round on a lot of tool brands sometimes). Neither of the first main issues will compromise the tool's function and are issues I have found on most MTs at some point or degree(LM, Vic, Gerber, and SOG). The Charge is a fine tool and is worth having.   :)
And LM's warranty process is amazing. While Gerber and Vic can take months on average to process claims(sometimes less during slow periods), Leatherman is quite bit faster. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Radrler

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 02:44:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses! A BO Wave certainly sounds reasonable, although the price difference in Israel is fairly negligible... still, the Wave’s thinner handles might actually allow me to hold the pliers like a human being for once. I’m going to have to get my hands on one to see how it feels.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 02:54:12 PM
If you really like Titanium and either 154CM/S30V blade steel then  :pok:.   I have older scaled TTi and love it.  Its been my go to work tool.  Can it fail?  Sure.  Has mine? No broken parts, no blades snapped, no foreseeable issues with mine.  The scissors are small but so are my beloved 58mm SAK scissors  :dunno: THEY work great.  I've not had any problems with them. 

I have a Charge Ti and recently began to put it to use.  Theres no difference in performance from it or my TTi.  They look great which isn't a bad thing.  I very much appreciate the blade steel on both.  I've not had to do a thing to my Charge TTi S30V blade at all.  Admittedly I haven't used my Ti 154CM blade enough to know its performance other than its hair whittling sharp.  I use my TTi blade as a primary blade even when I carry a dedicated knife. 

The file on both my Charges do rub the frame.  Its unfortunate but in no way hampers function of the file.  What I like about both are how nice and smooth deploying the OHO tools are. 

Now heres the truth.  The Wave performs every bit as good as the Charges.  The blade steel on the main blade of the Wave wont stay sharp as long but its a performer.  The newer Wave + and Charge + give you the addition of the replaceable cutters which for some is a great thing.  The Wave is a solid tool.  I carried mine for a long time before deciding to use my Charge TTi.  The cap crimper plier head was the initial reason I wasn't keen on my TTi.  Its not been a problem at all.

I have the Charge Al but no real use with it.  Its a lovely looking tool as well and did you see Ponchos BO Charge?  I used to send people to the Wave but now I cannot say enough good things about the Charge.  QC on the new Charge + seems to be quite good. 

Good Luck.       
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 03:53:49 PM
I have the TTi and it is an excellent tool. That said, I keep it in my drawer and I EDC the Spirit, while I have the Surge in my car permanently (together with a Swisschamp). I tested all 4 tools (Swisstool was the 4th, until I donated it here) and I find the Surge to be the ultimate tool, but a bit heavy to carry. The Spirit on the other hand is the most EDC friendly and the tools resemble the familiar SAK ones I'm used to for 35 years or so.
The TTi has good OHO locking blades and a nice handling, the saws are fine too. But the scissors aren't adequate for me and there is no awl. That's awl it takes to be ineffective, since I use the awl 3rd only (scissors, metal file, awl, I carry a separate Gerber Double Take or Opinel for a knife).

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 04:36:10 PM
I have a Charge TTi because I have an small fetish for titanium. In and around the house I use it for small maintenance and reparations. The Wave is also cool. Quality of both tools is excellent, as long as you use the tools for what they are made. For example: Blades are used to slice and cut, not to pry.

Outdoors I carry most of the time the Victorinox Spirit. Now I am also looking for a LM Rebar. It has all the essential tools for any outdoor job. I don't need belt cutters, bit drivers and scissors when camping or walking.

ro Offline buzabogdan

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:21:39 AM
Nice touch feeling in Charge vs Wave... rest is almost the same. Charge Alx Black vs Wave+ Black.

my 2c

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pwUiSaqrkjHj8qXu7

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 01:11:52 PM
You can always do this to improve the Charge scissor situation.  :cheers:

Victorinox scissors instead of the serrated blade (or wherever you choose to put it). It's a pretty easy mod.

Incidentally, the file rubbing has been mentioned a few times, is there any easy fix for this? It's annoying.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 01:49:09 PM
You can always do this to improve the Charge scissor situation.  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

Victorinox scissors instead of the serrated blade (or wherever you choose to put it). It's a pretty easy mod.

Incidentally, the file rubbing has been mentioned a few times, is there any easy fix for this? It's annoying.

I believe the file/blade rubbing depends wholely on the stiffness of the liner lock that's pushing the tool up when stowing. That's on the AL model. Some liner are pretty stiff, some are softer.

On TIs, the scale surface that's in direct contact with the file/blade at the pivot area may not be completely flat and smooth. Usually they are not... I had one of mine that had a bump on that area. The blade that was affected pointed at a way way way off direction when deployed. I had to file and sand it flat for it to work properly.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 02:18:50 PM
I believe the file/blade rubbing depends wholely on the stiffness of the liner lock that's pushing the tool up when stowing. That's on the AL model. Some liner are pretty stiff, some are softer.

On TIs, the scale surface that's in direct contact with the file/blade at the pivot area may not be completely flat and smooth. Usually they are not... I had one of mine that had a bump on that area. The blade that was affected pointed at a way way way off direction when deployed. I had to file and sand it flat for it to work properly.

Mine is a Charge AL. How would I adjust the liner lock please?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 02:39:32 PM
The file/PE blade rubbing annoyed me at first, but I got over that when I began using the tool in my EDC rotation. It doesn't hurt the function of the tool at all. So, that said, eddling with the liner lock tension would likely cause some lockup issues. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 02:52:37 PM
Mine is a Charge AL. How would I adjust the liner lock please?

Fully agree with G-man. That's not quite adjustable. Playing around with the tension could snap the liner.. It all depends on luck...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%