Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are backside tools overrated?

Aloha · 20 · 1193

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Are backside tools overrated?
on: May 22, 2019, 05:58:22 PM
Here I have two SAK in the 84mm flavor.  Both are well liked and carried often enough.  I thought I'd miss the T&T on the Recruit but I don't.  I also don't miss the keyring oddly enough.  I keep another 84mm Recruit in my kitchen thats how much I like this SAK. 

When reaching for these particular SAKs I stumble just a bit.  I also have a Cadet 2 that I consider among my options.  The Cadet is standard without backside tool option so is not actually part of this conversation.  I stumble because isn't having backside tools a great option?

IMG_7228.jpg
* IMG_7228.jpg (Filesize: 258.53 KB)
IMG_7229.jpg
* IMG_7229.jpg (Filesize: 196.68 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Re: Are backside tools overrated?
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:38:44 PM
Yes, I love my Tinker! Never am without it. Must have the Phillips and awl.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:44:12 PM
I've got an Alox model in my pocket today.....so I'm going with "yes".

But I might have a different answer tomorrow.....  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:48:57 PM
I know the feeling all too well  :whistle:.  Nix, do you hesitate for just a moment tho?  When I reach for my 84mm SAK I instinctively want to go with my Tinker.  The backside tools call to my inner need for options.  Then I grab my Cadet or Recruit and off I go not looking back one bit. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:52:40 PM
I’m kinda hooked on alox so I’d say don’t need them, although I’m making a custom sak, which has backside tools, being a awl and Philips, only thing is there’s a Philips on the front, really only need the one on the back to fill in the spot, and the awl is a Wenger so kinda crapy, so still kinda a still don’t need backside tools
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 07:08:45 PM
Yes of course they are overrated... when you don't need them.
But when you need one, you're so glad to have 'm!

us Offline cwsmith17

• Multitool Addict
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:12:31 PM
I say the more tools the merrier!
KnifeRights.org Annual Member
NRA Member
NRA RSO Certified
GOA- Gun Owners of America

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:46 PM
If there is no additional bulk created, why not?

I love the corkscrew on my Vic, even though I hardly drink.  It's carries the mini screwdriver, and my anti-party-pooping tool.  You could try to substitute the can opener for a phillips(I know, I know, same as don't pry with your knife), but no CS is just pure party pooping.  The feeling is worse than no having any tool at all. :facepalm:

And without the backside CS/philips, I loose the needle holder too.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 07:24:38 PM
My inner need for options means the Tinker is best tool to carry.  I used to carry a 91mm Recruit till the Explorer came into my life.  When I reach for a 84mm these two stare at me a each is great.  My instinct is Tinker but I think I equally reach for my Recruit. 

Alox officiandos know all to well the can opener is a real multitool.  Lots can be done with that tool as compared to the backside philips, am I right?
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline temo

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 07:29:27 PM
I think only tools are suited to back are cork screw and hook. Others just substitute lack of inline tools.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 07:31:55 PM
Alox officiandos know all to well the can opener is a real multitool.  Lots can be done with that tool as compared to the backside philips, am I right?

I guess it is a preference thing, I think the trade-off is between:

Having corkscrew + minidriver + use can opener for make-shift philips driver   VS   backside Philips. 
Personally, I would tend to choose to have former rather than latter. :climber:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42:06 PM
I have a hookless Explorer and do like the corkscrew for my mini driver.  My CT29 has the corkscrew and awl but I use neither.  I do like how the mini driver lives in the corkscrew tho. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:55:47 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 07:53:43 PM
The only backside tools I use regularly are the phillips and the package hook file when I would carry the compact.  That being said, I think the inline phillips is definitely nicer than the backside one, but it is a trade-off of layers/thickness.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 09:06:42 PM
I think only tools are suited to back are cork screw and hook. Others just substitute lack of inline tools.

Yes of course they are overrated... when you don't need them.
But when you need one, you're so glad to have 'm!
I agree with both of these sentiments. I like having the option, and I especially like having the eyeglass screwdriver carried in the corkscrew.

fi Offline temo

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:20 PM
Yes inline phillips layer is quite thick. So Ok compromise to have that in back. Mainly ment that hook and screw are actually better in back then would be inline. Others are a bit compromises to have extra tool. Without getting extra layer. And there is some attraction with vics without back tools. And no removable parts. Simplicity and usability versus large amount of tools. Have to say I can't tell wich is better..

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 11:15:49 PM
Bulk adding, yes. Overrated, no.

Last week I repaired my brother's table using only my 'Troublemaker' (Marlboro Troubleshooter w/ Lite). Used the awl, chisel and backside phillips. On the top side, I used the metal saw to cut some 3/8" oak dowels and the small blade for some scraping, and the pliers.  Oh, and the tweezers to remove some debris from the dowel holes. Not bad for something that fits in my jeans change pocket.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 03:06:28 AM
Not overrated at all.  Perhaps underrated.  The models I generally carry have the corkscrew, awl, and hook on the backside, and I use all of these.

us Offline getahl

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 05:46:11 AM
While the backside tools barely rate for me nowadays, they're definitely not useless. Once upon a time, a Tinker and a 4 inch crescent wrench were the only tools I owned. I built a desk using that backside Philips. Adjusted my first kydex sheath with that backside Phillips. And then I got a set of real tools...plus that crescent wrench. Haven't used a backside tool since.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 09:48:48 AM
The only way to get the small slotted screwdriver (without going for bit driver, or a custom or retired model), is as a backside tool. Not an ideal placement, but better than nothing.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:06 AM
I've been carrying a modified DofE for about a week. It only has two backspring tools, and I've used them both. Topside tools tend to be better and stronger, but add more bulk and weight. I think the best way to consider the backspring tools is as bonus features, rather than primary ones.

Most of us wouldn't pick a car based on the size of the glovebox, or whether or not it has a power socket in the boot, or whether there's a USB socket to stick in a thumbdrive with your favourite songs on, but they can still be nice addition features to have for many people.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD