Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why lock blades?

cbl51 · 100 · 3222

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Why lock blades?
Reply #90 on: January 30, 2020, 07:28:06 PM
All folding knives have the "potential" to close on the finger, locks aside.   :tu:

All folding knives carry this ^^ potential and if one is negligent then thats on them IMO.  There is no safe knife folding or otherwise if the user is not careful.  Accidents are IMO a whole other topic and cannot be attributed to the knife.   

Believing any knife is safe when used without care to me is a user problem and not a problem of the knife.  Why blame the object?  We are not talking malfunctions or defective knifes as these are not accidents. 

If one has the belief that a locking knife cannot fail then they should be using a fixed blade.  Yes by terming it "locking" I get users will feel a level of security.  If downward cutting just like with a slip joint is applied then I cannot understand how a locking knife can fail?   

Ive been thinking about that point, for both locking and non-locking blades.   when cutting through something (zip ties, cardboard) where there is something against the back of the knife (the item that you're trying to free up from said substance) and you tend to use a reverse grip and cut towards yourself... I can see how that can be more hazardous with a slipjoint or a lock-back (specifically).

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:20 PM

If one has the belief that a locking knife cannot fail then they should be using a fixed blade.  Yes by terming it "locking" I get users will feel a level of security.  If downward cutting just like with a slip joint is applied then I cannot understand how a locking knife can fail?   

This is exactly the problem!

I've seen a cuple of generations now that has been sold a bill of goods by the knife industry that their wonder knives can't fail. Its a very eerie sight to see an index finger laying on the floor, while the blood is spurting out of a severed joint, with he dumb kid muttering over and over again how he can't understand how his Buck knife failed on him. He was convinced that a locked blade was a sure thing. Same thing with my dense son-in-law/ He was overly impressed by advertising like Lynn Thompson with bar bell weights hanging off his Cold Steel lock blades with he blade held in a vise. Its idiotic. But more than that, its a shameful abuse of customer ignorance to over sell an over hyped product with overblown claims.

This has only happened in the past 25 years or so. If a run of the mill sip joint can't handle it, its time to go get a fixed blade as they are called now. Thats what people used to do. But the modern knife industry has pushed these overly hype, overly designed, and overly priced one hand wonder knives on the customers complete with he Kool Aid of the metal brainwashing. Add in the constant overly hyped 'new' wonder steel of the month and you have plain old fissioned snake oil salesmanship. The accidents happen beaus the young guys who buy these knives have never been taught anything about safe knife handling. At all. They' ve grown up with the wonder knives, and they really think that locked blade will never fail and hurt them. Doesn't even come into their minds. At thats the problem; they don't just cut with them like a slip joint. They fall for the highly hyped advertising and use them like a fixed blade. And that is the recipe for a accident looking for a place to happen. Very false feeling of security.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: January 30, 2020, 10:21:58 PM
I treat a lock blade like a slip joint. But I guess that’s because many folders I carry are on a SAK or older non-locking MT, so I instinctively avoid use that would cause a collapse.

Blade usage is all about adopting safe practice that becomes a habit. Anything else then feels wrong. We all cross our arms in one particular way that’s comfortable for each of us. Try crossing your arms the other way and notice how ‘wrong’ it feels. Same with blades...adopt safe usage, let it become a habit, and you’ll keep you fingers. 👋

The rest is marketing BS.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: January 30, 2020, 11:41:08 PM
I treat a lock blade like a slip joint. But I guess that’s because many folders I carry are on a SAK or older non-locking MT, so I instinctively avoid use that would cause a collapse.

Blade usage is all about adopting safe practice that becomes a habit. Anything else then feels wrong. We all cross our arms in one particular way that’s comfortable for each of us. Try crossing your arms the other way and notice how ‘wrong’ it feels. Same with blades...adopt safe usage, let it become a habit, and you’ll keep you fingers. 👋

:iagree:

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #94 on: January 31, 2020, 02:49:48 AM
This topic has been interesting to me as a retired safety professional.

I have either investigated or reviewed numerous industrial accidents over 42 years.

The majority of causes were classified  as " unsafe acts" . The user was careless , improperly trained, possibly   fatigued,  impaired ( high)    etc.

It appears that most of us agree that  knife injuries are a combination of an unsafe act and lack of training.

Locking blades folding knives are here to stay.

Darwin's theory  applies to users of either locking or friction folders.

Be careful or get injured,  simple as that.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: January 31, 2020, 05:24:48 AM

:like: :iagree:

This topic has been interesting to me as a retired safety professional.

I have either investigated or reviewed numerous industrial accidents over 42 years.

The majority of causes were classified  as " unsafe acts" . The user was careless , improperly trained, possibly   fatigued,  impaired ( high)    etc.

It appears that most of us agree that  knife injuries are a combination of an unsafe act and lack of training.

Locking blades folding knives are here to stay.

Darwin's theory  applies to users of either locking or friction folders.

Be careful or get injured,  simple as that.

I think learning and developing knife safety habit is of upmost importance to any knife user or enthusiast.  With all these smooth drop-shut knives nowadays, if you fidget with your knife in a careless manner, accident will happen in time.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #96 on: January 31, 2020, 05:29:24 AM
@Marcellus   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: January 31, 2020, 04:40:51 PM
Darwin and the Peter Principle RULE! :D

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: February 01, 2020, 01:52:33 AM
One thing I like about slip joints. Since most of them have nail nicks they can’t open accidentally unlike thumbstuds that catch on your pocket edge and open as you pull them out like an Emerson wave.

Fortunately I am always aware when I pull out my knife as I have caught it happen a few times.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #99 on: February 01, 2020, 04:44:30 PM
I carry non-locking SAKs and locking folders. The lock is a safety feature that really does have its place. I’ve been a volunteer SAR/first responder for over 30 years. Occasionally you have to make a push cut and slip joints just aren’t safe for a pure push cut. Many times you simply don’t have a fixed blade with you, either due to laws or quick response times needed. If you carry a locking flipper with a tab, like a Hinderer, the tab acts as a finger guard and stops the blade from contacting your finger if the locks fails.

I actually believe all knives should lock as an added safety feature. Even very careful users make mistakes....

Just my option though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69