Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for slimmest scissors and saw 346

Jr. Member Posts: 96
Looking for slimmest scissors and saw
« on: May 25, 2019, 03:59:23 AM »
I’m very new to SAK - been mostly a plier based MT guy.  But, I’m looking for a scissor and saw to compliment my EDC center drive.

I see the huntsman, but that has LOTS of stuff i. Don’t need. Is there anything smaller?

Can someone make me a 2 layer tool with the scissors and saw?  I wouldn’t mind both metal and wood saws if I had to add somethings.
No Life Club Posts: 2,867 One Day Closer To Death
Re: Looking for slimmest scissors and saw
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:47:41 AM »
maybe an older discontinued model has that configuration, but I don't think there is one now, huntsman or the evolution 18 version are probably the "smallest"
The evo has no hook, but is probably about same width as huntsman.

BB :B:
No Life Club Posts: 1,091
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:56:35 AM »
Welcome to the world of SAK!
 :cheers:

With regard to current production models with both scissors and saw, I'm afraid a four-layer knife (Huntsman, Fieldmaster, Evo 17, or Evo 18) is as small as it gets.

The saw takes a full layer (typically with no back spring tool).  The scissors also take a full layer (typically with hook on the back spring).  I don't see any technical reason why a two-layer mod consisting of just these two layers could not be done.

Other mod options might include Compact + saw, or Huntsman (or similar) - opener layer, either of which would be a three-layer mod.

FWIW, I find the Huntsman (or equivalents) to be easy pocket carry, though not everyone agrees.
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 2,375
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
^^^^  Yep - That is the story

However - As my name might suggest - I can thoroughly recommend the Hunstman - I carried one for decades   :tu:   :D
Depending on your needs - You may even find you could carry a Huntsman (or a Fieldmaster) instead of the Centre Drive, on days when you don't need pliers/heavy duty ?  ???

Else a Mod ......  Compact + Saw would be pretty good !! Or even highly customised 2 layer Saw + Scissors mod!!
One of the US modders could knock one up for you - You could even try yourself - See the modding guides in the Mod Forum
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:17:10 AM by Huntsman »
No Life Club Posts: 2,476
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
Other than a custom mod, you could look at the 85mm Evolution range. The scissors/saw combo is a little thinner than the Huntsman.
Hero Member Posts: 649
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
A Marlboro - The Trail Guide has Scissors the Metal Saw. ...Which I find cuts wood okay. Better with hardwoods than anything green. I would like this model better if it came with a back Phillips instead.

A mod with just just the scissors and wood saw would have a blank spot in the back that might bother some. Might look least goofy with the scissor/hook version on that side, but the spring would be partly exposed.
Hero Member Posts: 649
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
And the mod wouldn't have a keyring. Or I can't think of a way to incorporate a factory looking one, unless it's a shackle type.
Sr. Member Posts: 335
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 03:03:24 AM »
If you want to follow the mod route, how about taking a Ranger and removing the blade and opener layers? Keep the associated back side tools and you'd have a nice multitool a little thinner than a Camper - and you'd have parts for a Spartan left over. ;)

Missing my dear friend Don Federico Cortés, His Lordship, the Boss.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
There's still no easy way around the ugliness of the scale gap where the corkscrew won't be when removing the blade layer. If you can't live with a Huntsman, I'd take the saw from a Camper and add it to the Compact as you get to keep the lanyard loop which is in a different location already on the Compact. The Camper can be rebuilt to a Spartan and the Compact basically becomes a Trail Guide with a wood saw instead of a file. You would still need new brass rod to build out the Camper another layer. Alternatively, just ditch the opener layer of a Huntsman and reuse the brass pins as there should be enough length left. But then there's no lanyard loop.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
Layer comparison:
Handyman (6)
Ranger (5)
Huntsman (4)
Camper (3)
Compact (2)
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,611 Hidalgo, Castillo del Hook
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:43:13 AM »
FYI: you can put the saw in the blade layer, instead of the blades, and keeping the corkscrew!
You just need to make a spacer on the keyring end to fill the empty spot and provide a place for the sawtip to rest on when closed.

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,611 Hidalgo, Castillo del Hook
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Here's the way jaya_man did it, but it's not the only way:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68332.0.html

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
That's a great idea DP...especially if you can use the Compact as the base and you then get the saw, scissors and retain the corkscrew in a 2-layer SAK...but it would need some spacers on the other end.

This does seem to be the best solution for this request!  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $381.00
PayPal Fees: $22.03
Net Balance: $358.97
Above Goal: $58.97
Site Currency: USD