Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Water filtration and purification

Poll

Do you have a water filter in your backpack to use in an emergency ?

Yes
11 (68.8%)
No
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 08, 2019, 09:29:45 PM

it Offline Stefano

Water filtration and purification
on: May 25, 2019, 09:29:45 PM
I want to try this survey.
If you answer yes please indicate the model to be purchased - if you want also indicate if you have ever used it and if you are satisfied.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Water filtration and purification
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:44:50 AM
Depending on what bag I have and where I’m going.  I always have a couple Katadyn Micropur tablets.  If carrying a bag, I’ll also have a Sawyer Mini.  The Sawyer is good for its size, but will not make nasty water taste better only safer to drink.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:33:46 AM
I answered no because I don't usually carry a filter around with me. I do have a couple chlorine dioxide tablets in the first aid kit.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 04:06:02 AM
I have a Lifestaw that I only take on hikes.  I have a Lifestraw Go water bottle that is in my emergency evacuation pack.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:31:05 AM
I have a Sawyer Mini and some army water purification pills which also double up as wound cleaning powder if you crumble them up. Out here water is not just important, it's life.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

it Offline Stefano

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:28:15 PM
@SOS24
Yes, the Sawyer Mini does not improve the taste of water, to do that you need a carbon filter (carbon filter also purifies water from chemicals)
Some Sawyer models have that but they are much more expensive than the Mini version.

@Zoidberg
I had thought of doing a separate survey for the purification tablets but then I assumed that they are much more widespread than the filters.
The small size, low cost - I'm sure most people here own it.

@Aloha
You have a good budget, the Lifestraw Go is an interesting product but I didn't buy it because it's very expensive here (around 45 euros)

@pomsbz
The double use of tablets is very interesting.
Do you know their composition ?
If they disinfect me it makes me think that they could contain iodine (but it's just a thought)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 01:32:39 PM
I answered No, but one day I may buy a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini. Currently I carry all the water I need or fill up from very low-risk streams.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 01:36:40 PM
I have a few filter, few sawyer mini, aqua mira frontier straw and life straw, and do have them in various bags.  Personal favorite probably is the sawyer mini because it could attach to different water bag or even water bottle, which is easy to come by. 

I also like the katadyn Micropur water tablets, because they kill the crypto as well as larger bacteria, and in some way, is double insurance to the filter.  Not to mention, their taste is not as strong as other tablets I have tried in the past.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 01:50:04 PM
For the survey:
I have some Mini Sawyers scattered between suitcases and backpacks.
I also bought two-dimensional transparent tubes in a store.
They can be useful if, through the Sawyer filter, I have to suck up water from tanks or from places that are not easily accessible in the ground

Many tablets of Oasis Water Tabs (chlorine tablets) they cost very little
And two Katadyn carbon filters with carbon replacement.

I also have an old Acquamira Frontier carbon filter somewhere.
It was my first filter and initially I didn't think I needed anything else, then I read the features and I realized that it's just a filter for large impurities and improves the taste of water (it doesn't protect from harmful microorganisms)

I also bought Lugol's drops on Amazon, I didn't know them but after reading a lot I found them useful for more purposes, they can be used to disinfect water, wounds and even as a supplement but before using them you need to read a little on them because excessive use can cause problems (they are iodine based)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 03:20:45 PM
@SOS24
Yes, the Sawyer Mini does not improve the taste of water, to do that you need a carbon filter (carbon filter also purifies water from chemicals)
Some Sawyer models have that but they are much more expensive than the Mini version.

@Zoidberg
I had thought of doing a separate survey for the purification tablets but then I assumed that they are much more widespread than the filters.
The small size, low cost - I'm sure most people here own it.

@Aloha
You have a good budget, the Lifestraw Go is an interesting product but I didn't buy it because it's very expensive here (around 45 euros)

@pomsbz
The double use of tablets is very interesting.
Do you know their composition ?
If they disinfect me it makes me think that they could contain iodine (but it's just a thought)

Here is the website (which sucks, they sell to the army so don't need to market much), I made a mistake, you're supposed to add to water and then wash the wound.

https://taharmayim.com/
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

it Offline Stefano

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 05:58:23 PM
Here is the website (which sucks, they sell to the army so don't need to market much), I made a mistake, you're supposed to add to water and then wash the wound.

https://taharmayim.com/

They are like Oasis Water Tabs - chlorine tablets
Depending on the dilution they are suitable for various uses - drinking water, brushing teeth or cutlery, wound disinfection.
These tablets generally have an expiration date (lasting from 3 to 5 years) but generally they can last even longer if they are well preserved.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 08:42:43 PM
I do have to mention that I am more likely to boil water than anything if I can.  Emergency need is certainly going to require other means.  The Lifestraw was a gift from my Daughter so I am happy to have that. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 10:14:58 PM
Sawyer Mini here.  I haven't used it yet, though, as it is really just for emergencies.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 10:58:56 AM
Sawyer Mini here too. I used it out of various lakes, rivers and streams on my New Zealand South Island cycle trip. All cases were water I could have safely consumed "untreated" but better safe... Also have some water purification tablets for more dubious sources. Livestock troughs etc.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 09:32:49 PM
I answered No, but one day I may buy a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini. Currently I carry all the water I need or fill up from very low-risk streams.

Sawyer recently came out with a micro that is between the squeeze and mini, capitalizing on the benefits of each.  Supposedly it has a higher flow rate than the mini (like the squeeze) while being smaller than the squeeze.
https://backpackinglight.com/sawyer-micro-squeeze-review-first-looks/

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 09:40:16 PM
Thanks. :tu:  Since the Mini seems popular here I was going to ask for thoughts on it.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 11:04:24 PM
Thanks. :tu:  Since the Mini seems popular here I was going to ask for thoughts on it.

The Sawyer Mini is cheap and has a higher filtration capacity (0.1 micron)
It's compact takes up little space in the backpack.
Being so compact if the water is murky it will clog more quickly than the Squeeze model.
But it comes with a syringe for cleaning and can be used to filter up to 100,000 gallons of water.
To clean it, spray water in the opposite direction with the syringe supplied.
You can also use a drop of bleach in the cleaning water and then rinse again with just water.
It is important to clean it after use and allow it to dry well to prevent mold from forming inside.
I found an excellent compromise in terms of cost, effectiveness, size and weight in the mini.
The same company supplies superior filters (models S1 and S3) that also purify water from chemical substances and also improve taste (but they are very expensive)

it Offline Stefano

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 11:32:33 PM
I add images of one of my Sawyer Mini water filters.
Being cheap I bought more than one in various colors, orange is beautiful and it's hard to lose it.
For the size comparison I put a Vic Waiter in the picture.
The weight of the mini is about 2 ounces. (about 60 g)

I could have bought the Squeeze model which has a higher flow rate but it costs twice as much - I preferred to buy the version Mini and have more filters stocked in different places.
The filtering characteristics of the two models are identical (0,1 micron)

The orange filter photos are from this evening - the others (blue filter) of my old review.

A competing product (Life Straw) is cheaper but has a filtration of only 0.2 microns.
Maybe one day I could buy one of them too..

In the past I wrote an Italian review on Sawyer Mini filter.
This review is no longer online but I still have a backup of this review, I can translate a part of it to explain the "micron discourse" - I hope it's useful to someone.

A good water filter must have holes with a diameter of at least 02, or 0.3 microns these values are certainly good for bacteria.

Bacteria have a size that can vary from 0.2 to about 65 microns but for viruses the speech changes because they are so small that they could even pass through the filter, viruses have a size that can oscillate between 0.005 and 0.3 microns.
The Sawyer Mini filters up to 0.1 microns so it can filter the majority of them but not all (at least not the smallest ones) this filter is able to deal with the majority of threats but if you are in a developing country and think that the water is really very contaminated it would also be good to purify it after filtering it.

So if you are in an extreme situation, in addition to filtering the water with the Sawyer Mini, I recommend you buy some pills (based on Chlorine or Iodine) I bought Oasis Water tabs but I think there are many brands.

In this case first use the Sawyer filter then add the tablet to the filtered water (wait then 30 minutes)

If I have to make a single criticism that I found on the Sawyer Mini is that the straw supplied is too short (it is as short as the filter) probably decided so for a compact speech.
But I would have preferred a second additional straw (supplied or optional) but I solved it by buying a transparent plastic tube in a shop for a few cents.
With it I can suck more easily from Nalgene bottles or from a plastic tank or from cracks in the ground.

I edited the message and made some corrections, remember that I use Google Translate I hope it's all understandable and acceptable :-)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:53:15 PM by Stefano »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 12:34:46 AM
I do carry filtration in each of my bags and it is so light weight and most are small enough that I would rather have some than not just in case.

I have the Lifestraw and Sawyer in both Bottle versions and inline and tabs with each of them too,usually the Rothco versions.

I also have a few Renovo Triple Stage Filters which have a replaceable pre filter,.05 micron membrane and replaceable charcoal filter all in a straw like design that can also attach directly to a standard water bottle too.

I have tried each of them although I have only really needed to a few times and the rate of flow seems the most frustrating part to me but I am happy to endure that vs. the effects of dirty water for sure!

I also carry some drink mix with each just to be practical.

I also carry what I need to boil water in each pack.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 12:39:00 PM
My situation would be filtering out giardia in otherwise clean and clear water in the mountains.

I have read that bacteria tend to attach to sediment so even if you filter out just the sediment you will remove most of the bacteria. Hence why it is best to get water from the top of a pool (where the sediment has had a chance to settle on the bottom) rather than where it is running faster (sediment is mixed throughout the water) in any given stream.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:53 PM
The Sawyer Mini is cheap and has a higher filtration capacity (0.1 micron)
It's compact takes up little space in the backpack.
Being so compact if the water is murky it will clog more quickly than the Squeeze model.
But it comes with a syringe for cleaning and can be used to filter up to 100,000 gallons of water.
To clean it, spray water in the opposite direction with the syringe supplied.
You can also use a drop of bleach in the cleaning water and then rinse again with just water.
It is important to clean it after use and allow it to dry well to prevent mold from forming inside.
I found an excellent compromise in terms of cost, effectiveness, size and weight in the mini.
The same company supplies superior filters (models S1 and S3) that also purify water from chemical substances and also improve taste (but they are very expensive)

Thank you for the tip, didn't know they came out with newer models. :cheers:   But they are much more expensive though.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 02:51:19 PM
Yes, they are expensive and apparently have a shorter life (Sawyer declare "from 400 to 1600 uses" depending on the model)

Here in Europe, both Sawyers and Lifestraw are much more expensive than elsewhere.

Instead of a S1 or S3 filter I preferred to buy more than one Mini and a pair of Katadyn carbon filters.
I like myself because they open and the carbon cartridge is easily replaced - some users seem to use carbon for aquariums to save money.
With the Katadyn carbon filters you can improve the taste of water and chemicals (apparently also heavy metals)
It can be a complement used together with Sawyer or LifeStraw
If anyone is interested in the past I had done a little review on this filter and kept some photos.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 12:18:45 PM
I said yes but it depends....

I keep a LifeStraw in my FAK and that will be present for most hikes and all camping/outdoor activities.

I used a Sawyer mini during a 5 day hike in the Fish River canyon with mixed results.  I had the best water, but the extremely fine sediment suspended in the water meant I could just barely filter 750ml before needing to backwash.

Because of the time and effort it took and being rather exhausted, I ended up dehydrating a bit.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 01:34:53 PM
I don't have any water filtration gizmos but I have been looking at ines from Katadyn and MSR for years now.  I really should get one and I appreciate threads like this to help me decide!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2019, 04:02:10 PM
I don't have any water filtration gizmos but I have been looking at ines from Katadyn and MSR for years now.  I really should get one and I appreciate threads like this to help me decide!

Def

It would be good to have more than one.
I personally prefer "very basic" filters, what is not present cannot be broken.
Some of them have moving parts that can sometimes be broken.
I look a lot at portability, even if a small filter has a low flow rate and is more easily clogged, but if it is small and weighs very little it will probably be with you in time of need.
If you live in North America the Sawyer Mini or Life Straw  should cost very little, later if you want you can expand your units with other larger and expensive  models.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 02, 2019, 06:18:12 PM

Def

Boss, I do actually think it would work great for you, especially know you do lone kayaking on a regular basis.  A sawyer mini and an empty bottle goes a long way.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 12:29:26 AM
Some of them have moving parts that can sometimes be broken.
Some friends who stayed with us once had a Katadyn pump-type filter that had malfunctioned on their travels before they got to us... I can't remember if they managed to get it fixed here or not.  :think:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 02:11:33 AM
I'm always up to learn more about them so keep the suggestions and info coming.  :D

Der
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 09:40:33 AM
I think one of the huge wins for the Sawyer is the threaded input that fits on 99% of bottle floating around our oceans......

I ditched that bag that comes with it and took along 2 x 1.5L bottled water bottles to collect or carry dirty water.......tough as anything, survived repeated hard squeezing.

The only drawback I would say is the need for the backwash syringe, you could loose that.

I've tried gravity setups with my filter and quite frankly I would die of thirst  :pok:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 09:52:59 AM
I think one of the huge wins for the Sawyer is the threaded input that fits on 99% of bottle floating around our oceans......

That really is ingenious, and so so handy.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD