Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

the Amazing August Explorer Challenge!

TonySal · 1384 · 22201

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: the Amazing August Explorer Challenge!
Reply #720 on: August 16, 2019, 10:32:04 PM
Time for me to eat a little crow, here.

I've long said that I don't really need a large blade and a pen blade on a 91mm SAK. In more than one post in the past I've put a stake in the ground saying the pen blade is extraneous (we do have white out these days....) and a fingernail tool would be more useful, in general.

And I still think that to a degree......however...... :whistle:

I find that I do like using the pen blade quite a bit. I think I've used the large blade only twice (maybe three times) during this challenge, but I've used the pen blade much more. THe pen blade is a really convenient size for opening small packages, removing tags, cutting string, etc..... Yes, the big blade could do all these same things, but the small blade just seems a bit easier to use and  is the one I reach for instinctively.

Part of the bias might be because I have the large blade mentally reserved for food prep tasks (like that strawberry ice cream). But I think there is a natural tendency to choose the smallest blade that will get the job done. The small blade certainly does offer a bit more control, too.

Where are you guys on this non-issue?  Pen blade or fingernail tool?   :think:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #721 on: August 16, 2019, 11:22:49 PM

I've long said that I don't really need a large blade and a pen blade on a 91mm SAK. In more than one post in the past I've put a stake in the ground saying the pen blade is extraneous (we do have white out these days....) and a fingernail tool would be more useful, in general.

I find that I do like using the pen blade quite a bit. I think I've used the large blade only twice (maybe three times) during this challenge, but I've used the pen blade much more. THe pen blade is a really convenient size for opening small packages, removing tags, cutting string, etc..... Yes, the big blade could do all these same things, but the small blade just seems a bit easier to use and  is the one I reach for instinctively.

Part of the bias might be because I have the large blade mentally reserved for food prep tasks (like that strawberry ice cream). But I think there is a natural tendency to choose the smallest blade that will get the job done. The small blade certainly does offer a bit more control, too.

I am about where you are in that I use the pen blade when I have it.    I can see the usefulness of having a nail tool in its place, but my preference is to replace it with the combo tool and not have the opener layer, like in the Yeoman vs the Explorer.  I found a similar thing with the traditional challenge where if I had multiple blades, I would use different ones for different things.  At the same time, if I only have one blade I am usually fine.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #722 on: August 16, 2019, 11:47:21 PM
For years I used the pen blade for everything and reserved the main blade for special occasions.  Now, it's the exact opposite.  I've been using the main blade on my Explorers for everything.  I think owning Wengers actually has me thinking about swapping out the pen blade for the Sportsman's nail file. 

Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #723 on: August 16, 2019, 11:49:05 PM
Even better!  I'm so looking forward to trying the Yeoman's tool set.  Noah got a Compact awhile back and absolutely loved it.
I am about where you are in that I use the pen blade when I have it.    I can see the usefulness of having a nail tool in its place, but my preference is to replace it with the combo tool and not have the opener layer, like in the Yeoman vs the Explorer.  I found a similar thing with the traditional challenge where if I had multiple blades, I would use different ones for different things.  At the same time, if I only have one blade I am usually fine.
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #724 on: August 17, 2019, 02:27:05 AM
Wow Barry, those trees look big through the magnifier ... wait, that's not Old Grey ?? Your should do a comparison shot  :rofl:

I've used my Cybertool and Explorer to get into a radio that wasn't working. Working fine now.
Nice usage on the tools! That radio looks kinda familiar....is it a 7 or 9 band short wave with the AM/FM?

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #725 on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:01 AM
Day: 16

Small blade opening a package with a new whetstone:

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice usage...does your whestones number the same as your compasses??  :whistle:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #726 on: August 17, 2019, 02:30:04 AM
Day 16
Rather boring so far with just opening some mail - the straggler (and most important) of the dog supplies arrived.
Then needed the magnifying glass’  assistances reading some directions
Nice looking SAK  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #727 on: August 17, 2019, 02:32:20 AM

I want a pen blade between the two.  :tu:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #728 on: August 17, 2019, 02:49:37 AM
Day 16

Cut some labels for storage boxes. (Yeah, crappy photo, I only noticed now how blurry it came out. :oops: )
explorer_16.jpg
* explorer_16.jpg (Filesize: 37.85 KB)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #729 on: August 17, 2019, 03:29:44 AM
Even better!  I'm so looking forward to trying the Yeoman's tool set.  Noah got a Compact awhile back and absolutely loved it.

I'm right with Noah on the Compact.  I am actualy looking foward to getting it back in my EDC.  I wouldn't mind a 3 layer version with the center layer being an extra long  (same as the blade length) in-line phillips driver.  Maybe they could call it a Compact +.

Now for todays use of my Explorer.
Day16
Awl box opening duty.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #730 on: August 17, 2019, 03:56:06 AM

Nice usage...does your whestones number the same as your compasses??  :whistle:

:rofl:

:whistle:

:facepalm:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #731 on: August 17, 2019, 04:05:37 AM

us Offline cody6268

Reply #732 on: August 17, 2019, 04:54:59 AM

With my use, it's why I'm becoming a big fan of the serrated Spartan/Weekender. Big blade for heavy work (and for food tasks, the serrations are excellent at cutting meat and cheese), pen blade for fine, detailed tasks.  While I usually reserve my kitchen knives for food prep, I still occasionally use my SAK--just because I can.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #733 on: August 17, 2019, 04:57:26 AM
Day 16: The carpenters and I mostly finished the bathroom remodel. Phillips put on some cabinet doors; scissors cut open the packaging for the air nails, and the tweezers pulled out a splinter.  Monday's work will entail getting the switch plate covers to fit right, and building shelving.

Don't know why this photo turned out so bad.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:15:39 AM by cody6268 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #734 on: August 17, 2019, 05:37:07 AM
Day 17

Since having the baby, I've been basically grounded at home, but that doesn't me from eating soggy eggs in the morning and pretend I am car camping. :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #735 on: August 17, 2019, 05:56:12 AM

I am totally with you on this one, I used the small blade almost 90% of the time.  It's 'safer', get the job done, and more agile for tight cut.  For box opening, less chance to cut into the content.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #736 on: August 17, 2019, 06:10:02 AM
For years I used the pen blade for everything and reserved the main blade for special occasions.  Now, it's the exact opposite.  I've been using the main blade on my Explorers for everything.  I think owning Wengers actually has me thinking about swapping out the pen blade for the Sportsman's nail file. 

It kinda make me wonder--is it a habit of use based on how we hold and open the knife? 

I always hold the knife in my right hand, pull blade open with my left finger nail, and re-position the knife in my right hand again for use.

And for ease of use, I tend to have the blade layers farthest away from me, so the small blade nail nick is easiest to open.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #737 on: August 17, 2019, 06:14:12 AM
Day 16

Cut some labels for storage boxes. (Yeah, crappy photo, I only noticed now how blurry it came out. :oops: )

Nice use!

I'm right with Noah on the Compact.  I am actualy looking foward to getting it back in my EDC.  I wouldn't mind a 3 layer version with the center layer being an extra long  (same as the blade length) in-line phillips driver.  Maybe they could call it a Compact +.

Now for todays use of my Explorer.
Day16
Awl box opening duty.
I didn't learn about the Compact until I want to recreate the Yeoman, but if I were to ever go 2 layers, I think I would use that without doubt.  It is one of the best SAK for urban carry.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #738 on: August 17, 2019, 06:16:19 AM
Day 16: The carpenters and I mostly finished the bathroom remodel. Phillips put on some cabinet doors; scissors cut open the packaging for the air nails, and the tweezers pulled out a splinter.  Monday's work will entail getting the switch plate covers to fit right, and building shelving.

Don't know why this photo turned out so bad.

Looks like a pretty productive day with Explorer :like:  I think it may look slightly blurry, possibly because of lower lighting and longer exposure time?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #739 on: August 17, 2019, 06:36:20 AM
Day 16:

Busy at work, no real time for pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG_0009.JPG
* IMG_0009.JPG (Filesize: 43.2 KB)

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #740 on: August 17, 2019, 06:38:48 AM
I did not have a lot going on with my Explorer today I wasn’t feeling well but did manage to open up the mail.

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #741 on: August 17, 2019, 07:45:34 AM
Nice usage on the tools! That radio looks kinda familiar....is it a 7 or 9 band short wave with the AM/FM?

Nearly it's a basic Sony digital FM/DAB. My short wave radio went south a while ago and I've never replaced it. It might be a generation thing but I feel lost without a radio. I've learnt a lot I might never have normally looked for. Can't persuade myself that internet radio is quite the same and not just part of the self selecting echo chamber of the web.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #742 on: August 17, 2019, 08:08:07 AM
Day 17
20190817_071202 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
snipped the tags off a new pair of workboots [ Johnsson's Chelsea,non-steel toe,made in sa,i think,in case anyone is wondering]

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #743 on: August 17, 2019, 02:25:09 PM
Day 17

Since having the baby, I've been basically grounded at home, but that doesn't me from eating soggy eggs in the morning and pretend I am car camping. :D

:rofl:
I am sure a lot of us can relate to this!  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #744 on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:33 PM
Nearly it's a basic Sony digital FM/DAB. My short wave radio went south a while ago and I've never replaced it. It might be a generation thing but I feel lost without a radio. I've learnt a lot I might never have normally looked for. Can't persuade myself that internet radio is quite the same and not just part of the self selecting echo chamber of the web.
I agree with you on the “generation thing”. I enjoy scanning through the bands.  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #745 on: August 17, 2019, 02:31:12 PM
Day 16:

Busy at work, no real time for pics...

I did not have a lot going on with my Explorer today I wasn’t feeling well but did manage to open up the mail.

Day 17
20190817_071202 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
snipped the tags off a new pair of workboots [ Johnsson's Chelsea,non-steel toe,made in sa,i think,in case anyone is wondering]
Great usages and photo’s!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #746 on: August 17, 2019, 03:10:02 PM
That's how I got started using the small blade, cutting open boxes in the store I worked in the mid 80s.
I am totally with you on this one, I used the small blade almost 90% of the time.  It's 'safer', get the job done, and more agile for tight cut.  For box opening, less chance to cut into the content.
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #747 on: August 17, 2019, 04:41:26 PM
I agree with you on the “generation thing”. I enjoy scanning through the bands.  :cheers:

I'm glad to hear you do Ray  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #748 on: August 17, 2019, 04:45:29 PM
Ok, the small blade thing ... on balance I would rather have a file ... which is perhaps why I like the Mountaineer (and yes I do gingerly use it to manage rogue nails if my Classic is elsewhere). But it is good for parcels etc as most of you have said.

So today I've tightened a loose window handle with the Phillips and opened muesli for breakfast. Not quite the Rock Star dining already displayed here by others but hey, ....

IMG_1253.jpg
* IMG_1253.jpg (Filesize: 99.69 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #749 on: August 17, 2019, 04:55:21 PM
Day 17: Speaking of shortwave and exploring, I grew up playing on the short wave band.  I've had this Grundig G5 for about 15 years and have a lot of fun with it.
IMG_20190817_105140.jpg
* IMG_20190817_105140.jpg (Filesize: 250.77 KB)
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD