Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

About Those SwissChamps

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: About Those SwissChamps
Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 05:45:13 PM
I too prefer a snap to velcro.  Great looking sheath. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 01:07:52 AM
Hey, Nate.  This is totally off-topic, but just a quick shout out from one Mountaineer user to another!  :waving: :2tu:

:cheers:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 04:22:23 PM
So my daughter's Swisschamp is all ready for vacation. I got in an Ecoline Climber yesterday with nylon scales. The Climber became a scale donor for the SwissChamp. My daughter loved it, and wanted a tan paracord fob tied to it, that matched her backpack. Gotta love her. I tied a basic fob for now, but will teach her how to make her own snake knot fob over vacation as one of our tasks.

I also got in some G-10 scales for my SwissChamp, and things did not go so well. One of the scales moved slightly as I tightened it in the vise, and now it won't snap into place properly. I'm gluing it with 2-part epoxy, and we'll see how it goes. But I'm kind of wishing I'd just gotten another nylon Climber instead, as the nylon scales worked out really, really well. Nylon is good tough stuff too.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 04:30:35 PM
Her SC looks great.  Wishing her lot of fun using it on vacation.  It'll be neat task for her to tie her own lanyard for it.  Bummer about your scales.  Ive used 2 part epoxy and its held a little too good  :facepalm:.  You should be fine I'd think.  They look great non the less.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 06:26:32 PM
So my daughter's Swisschamp is all ready for vacation. I got in an Ecoline Climber yesterday with nylon scales. The Climber became a scale donor for the SwissChamp. My daughter loved it, and wanted a tan paracord fob tied to it, that matched her backpack. Gotta love her. I tied a basic fob for now, but will teach her how to make her own snake knot fob over vacation as one of our tasks.

The Climber scales are perfect for your daughter's SwissChamp, and it will be fun for her to learn how to make her own snake fob! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 07:37:21 PM
The G-10 scales survived the epoxy just fine. I still need to clean them up a bit.

--
'Buzz

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 08:21:45 PM
The G-10 scales survived the epoxy just fine. I still need to clean them up a bit.

(Image removed from quote.)

Wish there was a LOVE sign, but I'll have to settle with  :like:.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 08:28:38 PM
Awesome scales!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 08:39:27 PM
Wish there was a LOVE sign, but I'll have to settle with  :like:.

Thanks. I think it's now about as hardened and indestructible as a SwissChamp can get.

I wonder if......... I still have some micarta left over. It would be a cool little project, to make an indestructible toothpick. There was that time I made one out of G-10.

--
'Buzz

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 09:07:37 PM

I also got in some G-10 scales for my SwissChamp, and things did not go so well. One of the scales moved slightly as I tightened it in the vise, and now it won't snap into place properly. I'm gluing it with 2-part epoxy, and we'll see how it goes. But I'm kind of wishing I'd just gotten another nylon Climber instead, as the nylon scales worked out really, really well. Nylon is good tough stuff too.

So the Nylon scales hold up pretty well when switching them between knives?  :dunno:
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 09:19:08 PM
G10 Toothpick  :dd: and those Orange scales  :gimme:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 09:25:48 PM
So the Nylon scales hold up pretty well when switching them between knives?  :dunno:

The nylon held up much better than cellidor during the scale changeover. Nylon is tough stuff. If you ask me, a huge functional upgrade over cellidor. Just a cosmetic downgrade if you like shiny stuff.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 09:28:53 PM
Feel wise its nice IMO vs Celidor.  Celidor is purdy when all shiny and new.   
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 09:36:59 PM
That G10 looks gorgeous.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 10:53:54 PM

Those are 2 good looking SwissChamps Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 07, 2019, 11:52:20 AM
Too bad you can´t get Nylon spare scales her.
Cellidor is easy to come by, but I had to order out of country for a steep price when I NEEDed one pair in black Nylon for my BO Syph Spartan. But it´s worth it. It looks really good in all black with Nylon scales.

Back to topic:
If you want to try, I have one of those OD green SOS Kit/SwissChamp Puches taht I never used and which I woul donate to the cause (we split shipping or you donate a bit to MTO or something along those lines)

If Buzzbait doesn´t bite on the offer, it is free for anyone else with an equally good reason. Although a few weeks outdoors with your Kid is quite hard to beat - Great plan, I hope I´ll be able to do something half as cool when mine get older.

And, last question: are you the same Buzzbait that used to hang out in teh G-Shock Section of Watchuseek forums?

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #46 on: June 07, 2019, 02:49:12 PM
Too bad you can´t get Nylon spare scales her.
Cellidor is easy to come by, but I had to order out of country for a steep price when I NEEDed one pair in black Nylon for my BO Syph Spartan. But it´s worth it. It looks really good in all black with Nylon scales.

Back to topic:
If you want to try, I have one of those OD green SOS Kit/SwissChamp Puches taht I never used and which I woul donate to the cause (we split shipping or you donate a bit to MTO or something along those lines)

If Buzzbait doesn´t bite on the offer, it is free for anyone else with an equally good reason. Although a few weeks outdoors with your Kid is quite hard to beat - Great plan, I hope I´ll be able to do something half as cool when mine get older.

And, last question: are you the same Buzzbait that used to hang out in teh G-Shock Section of Watchuseek forums?

Wow!!!   Such a generous and kind offer!!!   Yes, I wouldn't gladly take you up on that wonderful pouch. PM is on the way.

Yes, I am the guy that used to post up on G-Shock forum. I wore my venerable DW-5600C "speed" model just a few days ago.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: June 07, 2019, 03:01:44 PM
What a great gesture LOWTECH  :hatsoff:.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #48 on: June 07, 2019, 04:51:22 PM
Abby and I thank you for your generous offer, LOWTECH!!!

--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: June 07, 2019, 05:14:18 PM
Great pic.  Thanks for sharing.  Wonderful back drop too. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: June 07, 2019, 09:47:17 PM

Great pic Buzzbait!  :like: :tu: :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 02:59:56 PM
It´s my pleasure.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 08:00:05 PM

Great pic mate  :like:.

@lowtech: awesome gesture my friend  :hatsoff:.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #53 on: June 13, 2019, 04:55:31 PM
Okay. So the red G-10 SwissChamp is out. I just never took to the covers. I didn't like the look of the aggressive texture, and the color was a little too "pinkish" for my liking.

The olive drab G-10 SwissTank is now in. I love how this one came out, and dig the contrast provided by the red/black hunter's plaid paracord.. The army green color reminds me a lot of my Vic GAK and my father-in-law's old Scoutmaster's BSA whistle.

I may try to pry off the red G-10 covers, and see if I can sand them down the same way I did the olive drab ones, as the process dramatically changed the color and look of the scales.

--
'Buzz

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #54 on: June 13, 2019, 05:15:44 PM
Those look awesome  :like:.

I already liked the red ones, but these are just ...  :drool:

Are you making these yourself or did I misunderstand that part  :think:.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #55 on: June 13, 2019, 05:37:02 PM
Those look awesome  :like:.

I already liked the red ones, but these are just ...  :drool:

Are you making these yourself or did I misunderstand that part  :think:.

No. The G-10 scales were ordered from a third party. I just modified the green ones a bit.
--
'Buzz

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 05:57:49 PM
No. The G-10 scales were ordered from a third party. I just modified the green ones a bit.

Well, you did a great job sanding them down, they do have that old GAK look, and it looks great  :tu:.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: June 13, 2019, 08:10:07 PM
Okay. So the red G-10 SwissChamp is out. I just never took to the covers. I didn't like the look of the aggressive texture, and the color was a little too "pinkish" for my liking.

The olive drab G-10 SwissTank is now in. I love how this one came out, and dig the contrast provided by the red/black hunter's plaid paracord.. The army green color reminds me a lot of my Vic GAK and my father-in-law's old Scoutmaster's BSA whistle.

I may try to pry off the red G-10 covers, and see if I can sand them down the same way I did the olive drab ones, as the process dramatically changed the color and look of the scales.

Nice job Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #58 on: June 21, 2019, 01:20:09 AM
Things are finally coming together. One SOS pouch arrived today from the Ukraine. Hopefully, I’ll manage to get a hold of a second one before vacation starts.

Just in case the SOS pouches don’t work out, I ordered some wool pouches from Switzerland, made from retired Swiss Army blankets. I can use them to hold the survival items, and store the pouches in fanny packs. The pouches are of extraordinary quality. Is everything crafted in Switzerland always perfect?

--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 07:16:41 AM
Those pouches look amazing.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!