Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are Cheap and Cheerful part of the process?

Aloha · 44 · 1378

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Are Cheap and Cheerful part of the process?
Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 11:59:57 PM
For beater jobs or something to throw in my tacklebox--sure. Or if it's a unique, interesting design few have tackled (like that Olympia pen-style MT).  But for something I'll carry every day--nope!  Rough Rider/Ryder is something I do EDC, but the quality is there to the degree they're not really "cheap".  I know a friend of mine who got by with a PST clone. Thought about giving him a real PST; but couldn't exactly spare it. I know a guy who also has an early PST; and it's still going strong.

On another note, I recently bought an Ozark Trail MT from Walmart for $10; and found it pretty decent. Everything but the cutters did its job; even the saw of all tools (and that's one the cheapo makers never get right).  Not exactly good compared to my LMs, but favorable to its competition at that price point.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 01:13:12 AM
I've been wanting a drill/driver and circular saw.  I've been reading thru all the post here about what you guys have.  I have also been looking online.  Every singe review send me to Milwaukee or Dewalt or Makita.  I have seen some very good reviews about other including box store Ryobi.  My projects are around the house and sporadic.  Couple hours tops use and likely no more than 2-3 days.  I'm not sure Ryobi is CnC?  Its inexpensive as compared to the offerings of the others mentioned. 

I bought a Craftsmen drill/driver about 20 years ago.  It was a Sears special that lasted quite a long time.  One day it finally gave out ( battery ).  Replacement of that battery seemed pricy as compared to just getting a new tool.  I certainly got my moneys worth thats for sure.  I did bring it in to Sears and the guys were like "Thats been long discontinued". 

My partner surprised me with a set from a box store.  Drill/driver, circular saw, and reciprocating saw by Ryobi.  She has seen me look over certain ones and say a number of times "I'm just getting the Ryobi!" only to not make a decision.  I admit I get into analysis paralysis. 

I've already put the saw and drill to use.  The saw blade that comes with the tools is ok, it worked.  I was reading about the diablo blades and may get one.  If I were to depend on these tools to make my living I'd get professional grade make no mistake.  As a DIY around the house tool set I believe these "CnC" tools should make the grade.  As a homeowner whose tools wont see the rigors of daily heavy use I believe there is a role for inexpensive tools.  Heck if this set last me like my CnC Craftsmen did I'd be a very happy camper as I'd be well into my retired life  :rofl:
I see guys using Ryobi all the time on job sites and they love them and the same with Kobalt and whatever Menards house brand is too!
They sell a lot if them and they can not be all bad?

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 06:28:26 AM
 :tu:.  Truth is I think I was heading towards the Fuel line from Milwaukee.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 06:30:57 AM
@Cody, I had a CnC MT that served me about 10 years.  I finally gave it to a friend knowing full well it would hang tough.  CnC can be misleading so inexpensive might be a better way to say it.  Cheap gives us the impression something is not made well.  Inexpensive however could mean less cost but still quality. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 12:50:15 PM
:tu:.  Truth is I think I was heading towards the Fuel line from Milwaukee.

Don't get me wrong,I use MIlwaukee & Makita and not the cheap junk! :rofl:

But I would probably buy Ryobi if out of town and had to buy quickly for a single job too and I have!

I bought Rigid once for that and then upon my return home went online to register for the Lifetime Battery Warranty that they promise but the Website claimed that I had drills that did not qualify?

What a load of Crap!

Never Rigid again,I got them at HD but they swore that I did not?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 03:09:02 PM
Now thats a bummer.  I wont be using these tools hard thats for sure, occasional around the house stuff. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 03:28:35 PM
Now thats a bummer.  I wont be using these tools hard thats for sure, occasional around the house stuff.

Yeah it was strange,I had receipts and all but they just baited and screwed me on that one?

Anyway all of the Ryobi that I have used have been amazingly nice really and the battery prices are tough to beat too.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 03:30:40 PM
Maybe call the folks at Rigid?

At work, we switched over from old Ni-MH Makita drills to Rigid lithium drills and impacts. Haven't had any issue with the warranty process.  :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 04:02:02 PM
Maybe call the folks at Rigid?

At work, we switched over from old Ni-MH Makita drills to Rigid lithium drills and impacts. Haven't had any issue with the warranty process.  :dunno:

They are the ones that denied the truth for some reason?

I use Milwaukee and Makita mainly and have no reason to care about Rigid ever again after that experience.

Frustrating for sure but they did not seem to care at all so.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14:55 PM
That's a shame they refused to help when you called. :rant:

I've had good luck myself, but I know my own experience doesn't mean everyone will have the same luck. :(
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 07:41:54 PM
I have an old 19.2 volt craftsman drill that predates the C3 series but uses the same battery. Not sure when I bought it but sometime around 1990 give or take a year or two. It spent several years as my main go to drill in the HVAC business , lots & lots of drilling there, and is still going strong around the house. I think I have almost gotten my investment there. ......... :whistle:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 12:07:07 AM
Butch,
Are you trying to say you didn't screw up, when you bought that drill? :like:

Offline jeanbaday

• New User
Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 07:28:43 AM
I had bought 3 reciprocating saw over the past 2 years from a local shop near my house. They broke down within a month or 2 . The last one lasting of a month and the 1st one for 9 months.So I had decided that I would now buy a good reciprocating saw and not go for cheap quality. I searched about the best available and found this guide. After that had bought a  Dewalt Bare-Tool DC385B  . I hope it last longer . Now will not give up on inexpensive things. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 02:13:00 PM
Good luck with the new tool.  Having to buy a couple lessor tools adds up.  I bought a OEM belt for my washing machine vs to no name lessor priced one.  The savings for the no name was 50% but since the last belt lasted so long I felt why take a chance.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD