Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Power tools with apps?

Vidar · 13 · 1738

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Power tools with apps?
on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:04 AM
Some power tools now comes with apps so that for instance the battery drill can talk to the cell phone. I fear I might be becoming an old smurf, but my brain cell struggles with the entire concept. I can't help but just think of one big question: Why? :think:

According to Bosch for instance I might personalize settings. Fine, I like to control my settings - but I want to be able to adjust any setting or see any feedback I need on the actual tool. I most certainly don't want to get out some cell phone to check status or adjust any setting I need. And somehow I think that if there is a setting I don't need, then I don't need it...  :dunno:

I feel kind of lost here. Am I not getting it? Is there anything to get in the first place? (Right not I can only think of some digital lock for theft protection, but even that would likely just end up failing and leaving me with useless tools). Is this just the first step to save money by moving user interface and controls from the actual tools to the smurfing cell phone?  :ahhh
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Power tools with apps?
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:11:03 AM
I don't see the point really, like you I would have the settings on the tool if needed.
Seems like they are overcomplicating things and putting in more stuff that can break.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

fi Offline temo

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:26:35 AM
For user point of view hard to see immediatelly benefits. But for manufacturer benefits are clear. They can get data how they products are used. I think this is the main driver for this development. Get data. Then it is easier to plan new products.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 11:49:20 AM
Some power tools now comes with apps so that for instance the battery drill can talk to the cell phone. I fear I might be becoming an old smurf, but my brain cell struggles with the entire concept. I can't help but just think of one big question: Why? :think:

...... Is this just the first step to save money by moving user interface and controls from the actual tools to the smurfing cell phone?  :ahhh

I suspect saving on manufacturing cost is a big driver.

I have noticed on my latest Golf R wagon that the button VW used to provide to quickly disable interior monitoring for the alarm (eg if I want to leave my dogs in the car but still have the car locked) has disappeared, and now I have to go through the menus (several levels) on the touch screen to disable.  Saves VW a dollar (or less) but significantly reduces the convenience for me (especially if I've already switched the engine off and have to switch it back on to use the touch screen).  This seems to be the way of the future, as the bean counters try to chisel every last cent from production costs.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:30:00 PM
In theory you can match the power that is needed for a certain job to the bit that you might be using or the battery power that you have left according to the crap that I have read claiming how great this is as a new feature.

I have never really had any problems determining this for myself with a variable speed trigger and years of experience with the way I need the drill to "Feel" and sound while doing the work.

Then there is the notion of security for stolen tools being disabled somehow if stolen?

My take has been to keep things simple,the last thing I want to is have to use a device to control a simple device that has needed no added device and likely never really will.......I hope.
Also can you imagine how many jobs will be stopped if this becomes the way things work that do not need this?
The last thing I need is computerized tools for certain jobs.

If its not broken,why fix it?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:57:55 PM
I have never really had any problems determining this for myself with a variable speed trigger and years of experience with the way I need the drill to "Feel" and sound while doing the work.

Indeed. I haven't tried one of these apps, but somehow I doubt it gets it right anyway? It would be a big hassle to choose material, hardness, material and geometry of drillbit, angle  and what not that is really needed to set a "correct" speed. Not to mention all other kinds of uses power tools.

I'm not sure if the apps do this at all (?), but I could see some use of feedback like rpm, feed pressure or angle (for a drill), but again, would much prefer it placed on the tool itself. 

If its not broken,why fix it?

Marketing? Possibly simplifying the tool itself down the line and save some costs? I can't really see any great user benefit.

Some more critical machines can have sensors to detect early issues with the motor or electronics so it doesn't break down with a surprise while in duty. But for hand held power tools that seems like overkill, and again not likely on an app.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 04:22:20 PM
Just like the smart fridge, smart washer, smart mirror, smart oven, smart toilet, smart dryer/what ever connected thingy they've came out with these days; it's just a gimmick that they use as an excuse to gouge the prices; and to market to millennials who can't tell a screwdriver from a pair of Vise Grips. I'm technically a millienial, but it's an easy pass. For most of my life, I've used tools. Until well into my teens, my grandparents only allowed me to use hand tools unsupervised, then finally, power tools. I didn't get my first smartphone until I was 16-17; and it didn't last long. I went back to a plain phone, a Samsung Rugby 4, a year later. These days, people are giving 2 year olds tablets or their smartphone.  Heck, when I'm working around the farm, I rarely have my cellphone even with me; and it's not even smart.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:08:59 PM by cody6268 »

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 06:59:36 PM
For user point of view hard to see immediatelly benefits. But for manufacturer benefits are clear. They can get data how they products are used. I think this is the main driver for this development. Get data. Then it is easier to plan new products.

This!  :iagree:

Data is the new gold. Also the more electronics you put in tool, the earlier it breaks. So of course you gotta buy a new one sooner.  >:D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 08:30:50 PM
This!  :iagree:

Data is the new gold. Also the more electronics you put in tool, the earlier it breaks. So of course you gotta buy a new one sooner.  >:D
Seems like most people today are fine with that.
Why would they buy it otherwise? :dunno:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 10:09:11 PM

There is around a $100 premium with Milwaukee 18volt to get these "Features".
Not at all what I want,I would rather get another battery for my money all day long!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 10:45:37 PM

Because they don‘t know, don‘t care, or really want such a crap. I guess it is easier to show-off such a „fancy“ tool. A regular tool just doesn‘t cut it  :facepalm:

Maybe for the same reason that iphone covers have a hole on the back. So you can see the logo   ::)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 11:38:58 PM
An anti-theft feature would be nice, once paired with an account, tool check in with your phone every set period, and disable itself permanently (until successful check in) if unable to do so.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:00 AM
An anti-theft feature would be nice, once paired with an account, tool check in with your phone every set period, and disable itself permanently (until successful check in) if unable to do so.

Personally I wouldn't want it that closely connected to my phone or other external things for that matter. Accounts can be forgotten, phones can be lost or out of battery, wireless setup might decide to go smurf. Too many things that can stop it dead. For an anti-theft thing a built-in codelock that keeps it open for 24 hours might be acceptable to me - but even that will be one more thing to go wrong.  :think:

For a drill I can see some use in sensors like angle, rotation speed and pressure. Maybe with cut depth per rotation as an alternative for the last two. For stationary drills like magnet drills and drill presses that would even be welcome.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%