Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices?

Aloha · 76 · 2984

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices?
on: June 06, 2019, 07:21:38 PM
Each time I "settle" on a SAK I see someone post a picture of one that I was not familiar with only to want it.  I thought the "perfect" SAK was blade, scissors, openers, in 84mm.  Then the Cyclist finds me or me it  :think:.  No scissors but doggone it that wrench.  I was primarily a Manager user but the PTC came to me or me it  :dunno: it gets confusing.  Are SAKs just meant to pair?  I envy those who have carried ONE dedicated SAK for years, decades.  Collectors aside for a moment, I'm talking about those who truly want to find the "perfect" SAK.  Even with those who customize a SAK it seems they still seek.  I think this was the brilliant intention of this company.  Offer just enough options but NOT all possibilities.  We'd inevitably want to PAIR them.   

Well played, well played.    :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices?
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:22 PM
Although I’m fairly settled now, I totally understand what you’re saying.  My two customs have gone through multiple revisions.  Nowadays though, I’m not tempted by any SAKs beyond what I have.  I mainly only carry my two customs, but occasionally am tempted by my MTO PX.
K-Tibbs

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 08:16:33 PM
It is an endless search for many of us, in part because Vic doesn't offer every combination of tools in a SAK.  Some are lucky enough to have their perfect combination available, others are left wanting.  And then there are changing needs and wants...
- Steve

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 08:22:46 PM
A Huntsman is pretty perfect in my world.

An ALOX Huntsman...with T&T...would ice my cake.

Until that comes along, I'll pair my Pioneer with an Esquire.  Or.....an SI with a Classic.  And then there is the Swiss Champ....

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:18 PM
 :iagree: !!
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:21 PM
My perfect SAK depends on the environment i am in. Which is why i can never settle on just one  :facepalm:
If i had to though, i would most likely go with the Huntsman as well  :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:05 PM
Combinations work well for me. The Farmer and Classic are a hell of a combo, and do pretty much everything I need. It's like having a premium quality Huntsman with an eminently useful nail file, instead of the minimally useful package hook and corkscrew.

But even after finding that perfect combo, I'm now drawn to the SwissChamp. The allure of the glass magnifier is great, as is trying to find everyday uses for every single on those strange tools. It's like a personal challenge in resourcefulness.

--
'Buzz

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:42 PM
I had never thought about the Combo Farmer and Classic, but that sound really nice Buzz  :like:

Great, now i need to hunt down a farmer...  :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 09:10:42 PM
Great pics Buzz.  I've paired my OC Farmer with Esquire and Minichamp which are nice combos.  The Classic really makes a great paring with most SAKs. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 09:11:41 PM
Mon, glad to hear you are getting such great milage from your customs.  Alas temptation is round the corner MTO PX. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 09:12:52 PM
My perfect SAK depends on the environment i am in. Which is why i can never settle on just one  :facepalm:
If i had to though, i would most likely go with the Huntsman as well  :tu:

I'm close to what you are saying.  Explorer plus for me along with my Manager.  Both are great so I don't know why I keep looking and "testing"  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 09:14:57 PM
A Huntsman is pretty perfect in my world.

An ALOX Huntsman...with T&T...would ice my cake.

Until that comes along, I'll pair my Pioneer with an Esquire.  Or.....an SI with a Classic.  And then there is the Swiss Champ....

......  I hear ya.  The Esquire is a nice "larger" simple SAK that makes a great pairing with a lot of SAKs.  My PTC feels like a great match for most any SAK I like.  Then theres my Manager which just about completes most larger SAKs I use regularly. 

Then theres the ...........   :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 09:33:26 PM
I hear you Aloha... so what about building a SAK with the tool complement that suits you? Given a minimal set of tools (depending on whether Alox or otherwise) this is actually not rocket science. Same for most pliers based MTs BTW (notable exception for most being Swisstool (Spirit)).
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 09:36:40 PM
It is an endless search for many of us, in part because Vic doesn't offer every combination of tools in a SAK.  Some are lucky enough to have their perfect combination available, others are left wanting.  And then there are changing needs and wants...

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 09:43:43 PM
I hear you Aloha... so what about building a SAK with the tool complement that suits you? Given a minimal set of tools (depending on whether Alox or otherwise) this is actually not rocket science. Same for most pliers based MTs BTW (notable exception for most being Swisstool (Spirit)).

They dont call you TOOLER for nothing  :hatsoff:.  I agree whole heartedly.  Make what you want  :salute:.  I think it was Vics plan all along tho.  84mm scissors then poof gone.  They have the ability to make 84mm Explorers but??????????

Remember the new Coke formulation?  Remember how that played out?  Then Coke went back to their original formulation? Or did they?

I think Vic gets us hooked ( no pun intended ) then discontinues the model so we begin an endless search.  I wont even get into the Wenger conspiracy  :whistle:  :rofl:

Muwahahahahahahaha....   Or something like that  :dunno:

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 10:19:36 PM
Something to be said for that theory, kinda creating an artificial lack of something popular (and maybe with a low profit margin) just to be able to peddle inferior models at just lower prices (thus higher margins). Marketing addressing a captive audience... :ahhh
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:23 PM
I have pretty much determined that the Yeoman is about as close as I get to my perfect edc knife.  My modified compact is the next most frequently used especially for dressier occasions when a 2-layer disappears better in pocket.  I have bought many different versions to get to my conclusion but since discovering the Yeoman it seems to be the one I always go back to.  There are occasions where I might want a saw or some other tools, so I go for the Fieldmaster or maybe in the future my newly acquired used Woodsman, especially more in camping or rural environments.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:16 AM
Same smurf, different SAK  :salute:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 02:00:18 AM
It's not about the destination.  It's about the journey... :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 06:27:16 AM
It's not about the destination.  It's about the journey... :cheers:

I'll raise a SAK to that  :climber:
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 06:29:21 AM
I'm not sure there is a 'one' because we're not always doing the same thing every day. Heck, I have a SAK and a LM, the first on me, the second in my bag. I need pliers with a bit driver nearby but I don't need it in a pocket necessarily.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 06:33:32 AM
Which is why I envy those who carry one SAK for years.  I sometimes think the choices are what lead to the journey. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reece Turner

Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 04:43:37 PM
My perfect SAK would be a Spartan with pliers. I wish that was a thing.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 05:02:31 PM
I have pretty much determined that the Yeoman is about as close as I get to my perfect edc knife.  My modified compact is the next most frequently used especially for dressier occasions when a 2-layer disappears better in pocket.  I have bought many different versions to get to my conclusion but since discovering the Yeoman it seems to be the one I always go back to.  There are occasions where I might want a saw or some other tools, so I go for the Fieldmaster or maybe in the future my newly acquired used Woodsman, especially more in camping or rural environments.

After a few days last week, carrying the Explorer, I can see how the Yeoman would make a superb urban carry knife. It's quite a reasonably sized package, with all of the tools that I seem to use most.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 05:08:55 PM
I have a +B Yeoman that in theory felt like the perfect carry.  I am a huge fan of the Explorer BUT why am I at times not content?  I believe its the choices we have.  Imagine only a few models.  A few in each size category. 

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 05:50:24 PM
Having been through the following edc;
SI
Woodsman (modded with in line awl)
Explorer
Passenger (modded with in line awl)
Swisschamp
SI again
BuSchroder
SI again

I have now settled with a Farmer accompanied by a Rambler and without wanting to jinx it,  I reckon that's what I'll stick with  :ahhh

It's great that there are so many different models out there. I guess they can't make all possibilities available and keep the prices down. And that's what modders are for  :D

In answer to the question, no I don't feel I am a victim of the amount of choices available - I think there are maybe a few people for whom collecting isn't a pleasurable pastime, but a weight on their shoulders and a constant need for more and more, but that's not many of us here, and at the end of the day, you have a fine selection of top quality tools that you can change around according to your needs and whims.  :tu:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:32:15 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 11:15:11 PM
For 32 years I carried a Huntsman.  If it didn't have the tools I needed, I found a way to make it work.  I really think you finally settle on a particular tool set and go from there.  I don't think I'm a Victim so much as I just love picking up something new.  If only the Swisschamp or Swisstool had crossed my path earlier :facepalm:
Barry

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 11:15:39 PM
My perfect SAK would be a Spartan with pliers. I wish that was a thing.

Exactly!! That what I want too for EDC. The blades on a Spartan can do what the scissors can, so I don't need scissors. However the pliers are handy when you need that little extra force your fingers can't give you.

My perfect outdoor/survival SAK is the Handyman, and the 111 mm Atlas or the Tradesman. Unfortunately Vic doesn't produce these two last anymore, so the ones a recently required are in my Queen shelf...
I don't like the Outrider model because of the scissors that are rather useless in a survival or outdoor situation.

When I travel by bike I take the Spirit with me. In my car I have a Leatherman Wingman, but I think I will replace it by a LM Rebar. I like the simplicity of it.
For small jobs in and around the house I use a LM Charge TTi.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 12:29:11 AM
They have the ability to make 84mm Explorers but??????????
Huh? I’ve not heard of this. Tell me more...
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 03:13:20 AM
Each time I "settle" on a SAK I see someone post a picture of one that I was not familiar with only to want it.  I thought the "perfect" SAK was blade, scissors, openers, in 84mm.  Then the Cyclist finds me or me it  :think:.  No scissors but doggone it that wrench.  I was primarily a Manager user but the PTC came to me or me it  :dunno: it gets confusing.  Are SAKs just meant to pair?  I envy those who have carried ONE dedicated SAK for years, decades.  Collectors aside for a moment, I'm talking about those who truly want to find the "perfect" SAK.  Even with those who customize a SAK it seems they still seek.  I think this was the brilliant intention of this company.  Offer just enough options but NOT all possibilities.  We'd inevitably want to PAIR them.   

Well played, well played.    :hatsoff:
To answer the OP, I'm pretty well settled. A Rambler, SwissChamp, and Trailmaster combo has been my daily carry for some months now and I haven't yet found a reason to change. They cover all my bases so well. The Rambler is the ideal keyring knife for me; and since I can carry the SC in either pocket or bag and use nearly all the tools, why not? :)  I drop the Trailmaster when I'm away from work.

I have no envy of anyone with a more minimal choice. Everyone has their own preference and if it suits them, that's great! :tu:

I do get bothered that so much of my collection sits unused - the common models in particular. :think:

Pairing is a personal choice and I haven't seen much - if any - of it outside of enthusiasts, as they have a better knowledge of models and product lines.

I doubt Victorinox has had a master plan to limit their ranges to encourage more purchases. It seems more like a sensible business decision to me. The way I see it there's something for just about every regular punter. I suspect Wenger knives were more expensive than Vics because of what I understand to be a bigger product range (correct me if I'm wrong) and more frequent introductions of new models. Their more specialized models had limited appeal. Which company survived? Just me, while I have and like some Wengers, I've found none whose feature set I really prefer to a Vic.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD