Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices?

Aloha · 76 · 2997

us Offline Buzzbait

Re: Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices?
Reply #60 on: June 10, 2019, 05:26:38 PM
What we are victims of, is very brilliant marketing backed up with psychological studies in depth as t what makes people buy more of. Ass in the forums are also in the same business and people are being manipulated into buying what they don't really need, or buying what they already have an adequate amount of. Forums are sponsored by companies selling stuff. Thats way they call them sponsored ads.

They have it all figured out how to stimulate our desire to 'keep up with the Jones.' Car industry, gun industry, knife industry, clothing industry, figure outlaw tomato up just like the cat that will lunge at a jiggling piece of twine. I found out of I sty away from the forums for a length of time, my desire to buy goes way way down. When I leave for a vacation and fly someplace with just a recruit in my bag or mailed to myself, I'll roam all over with just that one SAK in my pocket cleaning fish, cutting bait, and then slicing limes for the cold vodka tonic. If I have a package to open, whatever pocket knife I have on me will do.

How many people really need a 5,000 pound plus V8 engined SUV to run down the grocery store, or commute to work, or even to go visit family several state away? It's all abut sales, and the right button being pushed on your ego to make you buy bigger and more expensive. How did our fathers and grandfathers get through a great depression, fight a vicious world war, and then come home and go about the job of raising a family and dealing with life with just a regular sedan, a regular little pocketknife combined with a Sears keychain screw driver and a P-38 on the keyring? Used to be if a person wanted to protect themselves they got a .38 revolver. If they wanted to carry , then they got a snub nosed .38. If they wanted smaller, they got one of the little .25 autos on the market like the baby Growing or a Beretta jet fire. Now the gun industry has the gun nuts thinking they need a Glock 17 and at least three spare magazines to just go get the mail. It's all marketing.

The ugly truth is, the average Joe human being is not that bright a bulb in the chandelier, and falls for advertising claims of the ridiculous nature. I used to, but for whatever reason, I got burnout on the consumerism of it. Now I just have three SAK.s and I get through my day still alive and functioning. I've sold off most my gun collection, the knife collection is gone, as is the tool collection. I have a basic tool box, a few guns, and a few SAK's. Theres one car each for the better half and I. The car collection of old VW bugs is gone, as is the Vespa motor scooter collection. I do miss the old Vespa PX150 now and then.

It's a trap. A very dangerous and clever trap. Not to mention an expensive trap. Try an experiment; stay away from the forums for two weeks. Or even a month.

So true. I went on a month long vacation in the mountains last year, using an old cabin as base camp, and going on adventures from there. Lots of 3 and 4-day outings, sleeping under the stars. I brought a ton of knives and such with me to the cabin. Most all of them were never used once. A Barlow pocketknife stayed in my pocket for the entire month, and a Leatherman sat in my backpack, waiting for the wood saw and pliers to be occasionally used. Once I got into a rhythm with my daily carry, all of the other knives were easily forgotten.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #61 on: June 10, 2019, 05:56:52 PM
I'm finding that to be the case with me more and more.
Barry

us Offline Frailer

Reply #62 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:11 PM
My perfect SAK would be a Spartan with pliers. I wish that was a thing.

How badly do you want this?

Because there is always the Oath of Rutli.  :climber:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 12:50:42 AM
How badly do you want this?

Because there is always the Oath of Rutli.  :climber:

I think you would come out money ahead with a mod vs. an Oath of Rutli.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: February 10, 2020, 03:50:01 PM
Marketing, perceived need, lust, SAK greed, collectors, users, ease in some cases of acquiring, gifts, they all seem to play into why a great many of us have so many.  I'm thinking more and more its perceived need fueled by more than marketing.  Having these little pocket sized solutions almost beg us to be even more capable. 

Got a Recruit?  Why not add scissors its only a layer.  Hey why not add a saw.  Next thing is we own a Swisschamp.  Then we work our way back down the layers realizing we dont need that much capability.  Its the 3-4 layers battle or for some its a firm 2-3 layer max. 

Customs create a whole new dilemma. 

I'm back to my Explorer with plus scales for now.  Question is do I carry my Minichamp or Pocket tool chest  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #65 on: February 10, 2020, 05:27:19 PM
It's a stressful decision for me Aloha :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: February 10, 2020, 05:43:46 PM
Well for now I went with my MiniChamp  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #67 on: February 10, 2020, 05:47:22 PM
 :2tu:
Barry

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #68 on: February 10, 2020, 05:55:58 PM
Marketing, perceived need, lust, SAK greed, collectors, users, ease in some cases of acquiring, gifts, they all seem to play into why a great many of us have so many.

:iagree:

...  perceived need fueled by more than marketing. 

Fueled by ourselves, that´s the MTo way.  :D

PS I don´t consider myself a VICtim.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: February 10, 2020, 05:58:11 PM
Me either, just a "fun" way to title a thread  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: February 11, 2020, 03:28:50 PM
Will do. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 11:26:11 AM
I think there's two ways to be inundated and overwhelmed by choice.

Firstly, there's the choices of what to buy. What size, what toolset, what scale material, what colour? I spent years wading through those scenarios, and experimenting with different combinations.

Secondly, there's the choices to carry from what you already own. That's where I am now. I still own more than I'll ever need, and there is no desire to acquire more.

I have selected a sub-set to run with for 12 months, and stashed everything else in a box to see if I miss it. I think I'm about halfway through, and haven't missed any of them. I'm quite content with the few tools I'm using, but it's taken a lot of time and money to get here.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: February 17, 2020, 09:59:39 PM
I personally would be satisfied with fewer choices. 

There are well known people who intentionally take steps to avoid decision fatigue - they wear the same black turtleneck or grey t-shirt each day - they always eat seven almonds for snack or have the same bowl of oatmeal for breakfast each day. 

In recent years I've adopted many of those habits, and I really do feel like it makes my day easier.

SAKs are a fun hobby but deciding what to buy and carry is something of a sticking point for me - it stands out as being a harder decision than it needs to be.

It's not as simple as carrying two SAKs since the 54mm on the keys isn't always in the pocket - I don't take my keys on hikes, and at work I leave them in the locker.

I've made sub-sets too... That helps somewhat.  I've got my outdoor sub-set, my EDC sub-set, and my shelf queen sub-set.  Then there's my shopping list sub-set which I fortunately don't own.  I'm fairly good at limiting the size of the sub-sets, the fastest growing one being the outdoor one. 

It's the EDC sub-set that's slowly growing but causing me the most confusion. There are currently three in that sub-set - there were four last month.  There's two more that I don't have that I want to get, which would fit in this category.   Three is two too many as far as I'm concerned.  Five would make my head spin.

In order to pare down my EDC sub-set I think I need to retire my '05 Soldier (the one model without scissors) but it's an old friend and I can't bring myself to do it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: February 18, 2020, 04:51:17 PM
Lots to think about from the last few posts. 

Choice in an of itself creates a predicament of not been able to make a choice.

Missed opportunities. American psychologist Barry Schwartz finds that when people are faced with having to choose one option out of many desirable choices, they will begin to consider hypothetical trade-offs. Their options are evaluated in terms of missed opportunities instead of the opportunity's potential. In other words, after choosing an alternative with a plurality but not a majority of utility, people remember the sum of the lost utility rather than that they made the utility-maximizing choice. Schwartz maintains that one of the downsides of making trade-offs is it alters how we feel about the decisions we face; afterwards, it affects the level of satisfaction we experience from our decision.

I'm fascinated with psychology. 

Schwartz relates the ideas of psychologist Herbert A. Simon from the 1950s to the psychological stress that most consumers face today. He notes some important distinctions between, what Simon termed, maximizers and satisficers. A maximizer is like a perfectionist, someone who needs to be assured that their every purchase or decision was the best that could be made. The way a maximizer knows for certain is to consider all the alternatives they can imagine. This creates a psychologically daunting task, which can become even more daunting as the number of options increases. The alternative to maximizing is to be a satisficer. A satisficer has criteria and standards, but a satisficer is not worried about the possibility that there might be something better. Ultimately, Schwartz agrees with Simon's conclusion, that satisficing is, in fact, the maximizing strategy.
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 07:12:48 PM
Lots to think about from the last few posts. 

Choice in an of itself creates a predicament of not been able to make a choice.

Missed opportunities. American psychologist Barry Schwartz finds that when people are faced with having to choose one option out of many desirable choices, they will begin to consider hypothetical trade-offs. Their options are evaluated in terms of missed opportunities instead of the opportunity's potential. In other words, after choosing an alternative with a plurality but not a majority of utility, people remember the sum of the lost utility rather than that they made the utility-maximizing choice. Schwartz maintains that one of the downsides of making trade-offs is it alters how we feel about the decisions we face; afterwards, it affects the level of satisfaction we experience from our decision.

I'm fascinated with psychology. 

Schwartz relates the ideas of psychologist Herbert A. Simon from the 1950s to the psychological stress that most consumers face today. He notes some important distinctions between, what Simon termed, maximizers and satisficers. A maximizer is like a perfectionist, someone who needs to be assured that their every purchase or decision was the best that could be made. The way a maximizer knows for certain is to consider all the alternatives they can imagine. This creates a psychologically daunting task, which can become even more daunting as the number of options increases. The alternative to maximizing is to be a satisficer. A satisficer has criteria and standards, but a satisficer is not worried about the possibility that there might be something better. Ultimately, Schwartz agrees with Simon's conclusion, that satisficing is, in fact, the maximizing strategy.

That is some good stuff there Aloha.
Also the flip from choice (random) to decision (reason) based selection is another interesting thing.
Especially if you throw in what others around you are doing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%