Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices? 1211

Hero Member Posts: 619
Re: Are we VICtims of the vast amount of choices?
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
What we are victims of, is very brilliant marketing backed up with psychological studies in depth as t what makes people buy more of. Ass in the forums are also in the same business and people are being manipulated into buying what they don't really need, or buying what they already have an adequate amount of. Forums are sponsored by companies selling stuff. Thats way they call them sponsored ads.

They have it all figured out how to stimulate our desire to 'keep up with the Jones.' Car industry, gun industry, knife industry, clothing industry, figure outlaw tomato up just like the cat that will lunge at a jiggling piece of twine. I found out of I sty away from the forums for a length of time, my desire to buy goes way way down. When I leave for a vacation and fly someplace with just a recruit in my bag or mailed to myself, I'll roam all over with just that one SAK in my pocket cleaning fish, cutting bait, and then slicing limes for the cold vodka tonic. If I have a package to open, whatever pocket knife I have on me will do.

How many people really need a 5,000 pound plus V8 engined SUV to run down the grocery store, or commute to work, or even to go visit family several state away? It's all abut sales, and the right button being pushed on your ego to make you buy bigger and more expensive. How did our fathers and grandfathers get through a great depression, fight a vicious world war, and then come home and go about the job of raising a family and dealing with life with just a regular sedan, a regular little pocketknife combined with a Sears keychain screw driver and a P-38 on the keyring? Used to be if a person wanted to protect themselves they got a .38 revolver. If they wanted to carry , then they got a snub nosed .38. If they wanted smaller, they got one of the little .25 autos on the market like the baby Growing or a Beretta jet fire. Now the gun industry has the gun nuts thinking they need a Glock 17 and at least three spare magazines to just go get the mail. It's all marketing.

The ugly truth is, the average Joe human being is not that bright a bulb in the chandelier, and falls for advertising claims of the ridiculous nature. I used to, but for whatever reason, I got burnout on the consumerism of it. Now I just have three SAK.s and I get through my day still alive and functioning. I've sold off most my gun collection, the knife collection is gone, as is the tool collection. I have a basic tool box, a few guns, and a few SAK's. Theres one car each for the better half and I. The car collection of old VW bugs is gone, as is the Vespa motor scooter collection. I do miss the old Vespa PX150 now and then.

It's a trap. A very dangerous and clever trap. Not to mention an expensive trap. Try an experiment; stay away from the forums for two weeks. Or even a month.

So true. I went on a month long vacation in the mountains last year, using an old cabin as base camp, and going on adventures from there. Lots of 3 and 4-day outings, sleeping under the stars. I brought a ton of knives and such with me to the cabin. Most all of them were never used once. A Barlow pocketknife stayed in my pocket for the entire month, and a Leatherman sat in my backpack, waiting for the wood saw and pliers to be occasionally used. Once I got into a rhythm with my daily carry, all of the other knives were easily forgotten.

--
'Buzz
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,377
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
I'm finding that to be the case with me more and more.

Barry
Full Member Posts: 182
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
My perfect SAK would be a Spartan with pliers. I wish that was a thing.

How badly do you want this?

Because there is always the Oath of Rutli.  :climber:
No Life Club Posts: 1,117
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 12:50:42 AM »
How badly do you want this?

Because there is always the Oath of Rutli.  :climber:

I think you would come out money ahead with a mod vs. an Oath of Rutli.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $51.00
PayPal Fees: $3.48
Net Balance: $47.52
Below Goal: $252.48
Site Currency: USD
16%