Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

RescueTool

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
RescueTool
on: December 16, 2008, 11:03:26 PM
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife 111 mm RescueTool

This is my second 111 mm SAK (OHT) and I really do like this size. I have no problem with in-pocket carry with their stream lines and good quality.
Now I don't have a scrap car to do a proper review but until the Mods come over :P

First; Visual impression, the way it looks:
Is this visible! From the Stay Glow Scales, to the bright red pouch and neon-yellow trim (any clown would be proud). It would be hard to miss this lying around, whether sitting on something, laying on the ground(oops) or on yourself, I like that, it is for rescue and emergencies! Whatever Vic uses for their Stay Glows they work really nice. In this size you can just about read at night when fully charged, more like Stay BRIGHTS! and they do last for hours. The tool itself looks well put together, 4 layers, excellent finish, same ole Swiss goodness. It comes with a short chord/lanyard that helps in retrieving it from the pouch, your pocket or some other place where you may need to grab it fast (or dangle it in front of someone "You are now in Swiss Heaven").

The Tools inside:
Main Blade; reminds me of a modified sheeps foot or spear point, easy to open with one hand, locks, tip to more than half way serrations, and a very sharp plain edge on the rest, and mine is razor sharp (don't shut it on your finger!), one side grind, good size overal.

SeatBelt Cutter; non-locking. I don't have any belts to cut/test on! but I've read it works fine.

Disc Saw; why is it called that? it's not a disc! removeable, probably to replace when worn and hopefully for other future tools/accesories. Reminds me of the wood saw but with thicker, single-line-teeth, made for cutting glass on the pull stroke. non-locking. untested by me.

Strong 6mm Crate Opener/Flathead driver/Bottle opener/wirestripper; good ole multi-use tool. Locks in full open, non-locking in 90 degrees

Glass Breaker; removeable, and it comes mounted in the front of the tool. It has a 4 sided thick-point to smash glass, looks like it'll work, but untested by me.

On Back;
-Awl/punch/reamer; no eye hole (no sowing while saving lives I guess). mine is tight (as many back sak impliments are) and it is nice and sharp on the one side and good and pointy.
-Phillips Screwdriver; nicely cut, works good.

On Scales;
-Tweezers and Toothpick; I know I miss these little tools when their gone (cough alox).
Lanyard Ring; their standard setup, it does the job.

I really like this SAK, it will be in my car, somewhere I can get at it. It would have been nice to have the "pin/needle" behind the phillips, plenty of room. You need to have it out of the case in light to recharge (glow) but aside for those minor things, an excellent, thought out, smart designed tool, good job Vic :salute:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:12:44 PM by WhichDawg »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: RescueTool
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:06:54 PM
Great review buddy.  :tu:

Dunc will be pleased.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:07:44 PM
Great review mate :tu:, and awesome pics as ever too :)

Bob's got a knackered old truck to do some proper testing on :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:13:36 PM
thx guys. I just saw a couple of mistakes! ::)
(fixed)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:18:49 PM
(fixed)
Well I never noticed them :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:05 AM
(fixed)
Well I never noticed them :D

we minions have more to strive for! :twak:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:03:19 AM
Nicely written and illustrated Dubya Dee! :tu:

Some day I'm going to have to buy one of those. Questions:

1) How easy/difficult is it to pop off the replaceable glass saw and glass breaker? Might they fall off accidentally?

2) Have you tried one hand opening the seat belt cutter? I saw a video on the Vic site that shows a guy catching that little tab on his pant leg or something and flicking the blade out only using one hand.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:13:53 AM
they are very hard to remove by hand, I've tried, no luck.

the belt cutter and disc saw do have really nice "extended" tabs and I just tried it,
the belt cutter pops out easy with one hand, against something but the disc saw's
tab is blocked by the glass breaker attachment. :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 02:56:17 AM

1) How easy/difficult is it to pop off the replaceable glass saw and glass breaker? Might they fall off accidentally?

2) Have you tried one hand opening the seat belt cutter? I saw a video on the Vic site that shows a guy catching that little tab on his pant leg or something and flicking the blade out only using one hand.

Funny, I'm pretty certain I saw that on SOSAKOnline:P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 04:20:12 AM

Def

Oh yeah...yeah, that's what I meant... :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:28:52 AM
Nice review WD :salute: Looks like a very capable knife :cheers: and great pics as well ::) :D

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:58:24 AM

Def

maybe it's really important for Bob!

I find unless you take off the Glass Breaker, it gets in the way of catching a tab/end of the Disc Saw;

it is possible with it on, but not so easy.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:22:01 PM
Ahh! Nice picture. I had not seen it shown that way before.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 07:54:52 PM
Great review  :tu: And smashing pics  :D A very capable knife and one of my favourites  :D

Dunc

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:44 PM
Great review there thx  :cheers:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:04:40 AM
Nice one WD. But what's all this "not tested by me" Malarkey  :P  . Would you mind rescuing someone please  :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 12:17:30 AM
thx guys, it was fun and I've been falling behind in my reviews! they do seem to help people, if only with your pictures (they've helped me, buy more!)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 01:42:00 AM
Good review WD  :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 02:12:55 AM
Nice one WD. But what's all this "not tested by me" Malarkey  :P  . Would you mind rescuing someone please  :D :D :D

Hah! I almost said that too, but I'm nicer than Mat. ::) :D

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 04:45:41 AM
Hi Guys

Don't see much talk on this forum on the Vic rescue Tool - Or at least I missed it all !!
I was very thrilled to receive one of these for my birthday on Tuesday - From my other half - maybe she does understand my affliction after all !!  :D

I had a couple of questions/observations.
  • Why is the 'disc cutter' called a disc cutter? It's a saw for cutting laminated windscreen glass - So why 'disc cutter' ?  ???
  • The main blade is the same as the Soldier and is partially serrated - Puzzled as to why they put in a partially serrated blade - When the knife already has a very sharp and good serrated blade in the seat belt cutter.
    Any ideas anyone?
    OK so the blade is slightly convex with a blunt tip - But works well as a serrated blade. It looks similar to the Vic gutting blades. To me a PE would be better. Eg The serrated edge got caught, even opening my birthday cards!!
Overall impression is - I like the knife - I understand it was developed by Vic in conjunction with the Swiss Fire Service - so it is very speSmurfpillsed.
As such - with its tools set - I do not see it as an EDC for weekdays or weekends (eg backpacking)
- For example the saw (disc cutter) does not work on wood.
So will keep it in the car - and hope I never have to use it for its intended use.

PS. If I was a fireman or paramedic - I would love the tool !! :)   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:12:52 AM by Huntsman »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:32:56 PM
This tool follows the premise that a lot of tools do- if it's good enough for firemen, EMT, police, military etc then it has to be good enough for the general public.  Suitability on the other hand is considered secondary.  Look at the Leatherman Raptor or MUT for good examples.

I pretty well agree with your observations bit what good is that when compared with the ability to tell everyone who will listen that your knife was developed specifically for and in conjunction with the Swiss Fire Service?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:11 AM

This tool follows the premise that a lot of tools do- if it's good enough for firemen, EMT, police, military etc then it has to be good enough for the general public.  Suitability on the other hand is considered secondary.  Look at the Leatherman Raptor or MUT for good examples.

I pretty well agree with your observations bit what good is that when compared with the ability to tell everyone who will listen that your knife was developed specifically for and in conjunction with the Swiss Fire Service?

Def

So you're not a fan?

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 08:11:47 PM

Def

Well the only guy I know who actually carries it is a fireman. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44