Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Channellocks Save the Day 335

No Life Club Posts: 3,149
Channellocks Save the Day
« on: June 08, 2019, 05:00:04 AM »
Channellocks and I have a long-term love-hate relationship.  They're really good for holding stuff, as well as busting rusted/stuck stuff loose; especially if you've got some big ones. Granddad has dozens of pairs in just about every size they made; and some off-brand stuff However, the jaw shape makes them good for making a mess, since I've handled I don't know how many rounded off bolts/nuts that were the fault of them from some jerry-rig done years ago. Personally, I think Knipex Cobras are 100X more superior in every way, but I am trying to support American manufacturing.  I only had a 426 for the past 3-4 years, and similar pliers from Proto (12" and 18") and Craftsman (12"). Couple weeks back, I noticed our local Lowe's had a gift set including a 426, 420, and 440 as well as an acetate handled bottle opener (I think now, Western Forge is making screwdrivers for Channellock, if Channellock isn't making them on their own); and picked it up since it was $30. Gave the spare 426 away; since I already had two (one is so old, there's no rubber grips on it).

Well, the other day, the truck wouldn't start. Charged the battery, it started; then cut out. Opened the hood the positive battery cable had popped off; but the nut was as tight as it could possibly be. Had no idea what was going on; the truck had battery and terminal replaced more than a year ago; and it had no issues up until then. Tried every wrench in my toolbox; SAE and metric; Vise Grips, and even my Leatherman, that didn't work. So, I grabbed the Channellock 420s and crimped it in place. It never came off the post again.
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,765
Re: Channellocks Save the Day
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 06:46:22 AM »
I've got some older Channel locks around somewhere.  Glad you got your truck sorted and nice it was a tool you've become very familiar with. 

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,406 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 07:08:16 AM »
Great save, Cody! :like:

I use Channellock almost exclusively and have never had any issues with them aside from the rubber grips sliding off and needing to be glued back on. I find they don't round off bolts if they are positioned properly and gripped firmly. But, as with anything, getting them situated isn't always as easy as knowing how to position them. :facepalm:

The newer groovelock ones have a different tooth setup, which works well in some scenarios. I have also seen them with rounded opening jaws as well.
There are many styles to choose from.  :)

A photos of some of the Channellocks in my tool box.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
No Life Club Posts: 1,141
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:56:09 AM »
 :tu: for Channellocks.

Years ago, when I worked in a soybean processing plant, a flashlight and a 6" pair of Channellocks were the tools that pretty everyone had on them all the time.
No Life Club Posts: 1,629
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
Big an of ChannelLock and that they have been able to continue manufacturing in the US is a big plus for me. I'm not "anti-anywhere else", I just want to make sure we can still manufacture and keep jobs here in the US.

I now have two of these, a 420 and a smaller one. Just so damn helpful. My father was a welder who also worked on his own cars. These were prevalent throughout his toolboxes and used often. Called for by name.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $180.00
PayPal Fees: $9.62
Net Balance: $170.38
Below Goal: $129.62
Site Currency: USD
57%