Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Channellocks Save the Day

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Channellocks Save the Day
on: June 08, 2019, 05:00:04 AM
Channellocks and I have a long-term love-hate relationship.  They're really good for holding stuff, as well as busting rusted/stuck stuff loose; especially if you've got some big ones. Granddad has dozens of pairs in just about every size they made; and some off-brand stuff However, the jaw shape makes them good for making a mess, since I've handled I don't know how many rounded off bolts/nuts that were the fault of them from some jerry-rig done years ago. Personally, I think Knipex Cobras are 100X more superior in every way, but I am trying to support American manufacturing.  I only had a 426 for the past 3-4 years, and similar pliers from Proto (12" and 18") and Craftsman (12"). Couple weeks back, I noticed our local Lowe's had a gift set including a 426, 420, and 440 as well as an acetate handled bottle opener (I think now, Western Forge is making screwdrivers for Channellock, if Channellock isn't making them on their own); and picked it up since it was $30. Gave the spare 426 away; since I already had two (one is so old, there's no rubber grips on it).

Well, the other day, the truck wouldn't start. Charged the battery, it started; then cut out. Opened the hood the positive battery cable had popped off; but the nut was as tight as it could possibly be. Had no idea what was going on; the truck had battery and terminal replaced more than a year ago; and it had no issues up until then. Tried every wrench in my toolbox; SAE and metric; Vise Grips, and even my Leatherman, that didn't work. So, I grabbed the Channellock 420s and crimped it in place. It never came off the post again.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Channellocks Save the Day
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 06:46:22 AM
I've got some older Channel locks around somewhere.  Glad you got your truck sorted and nice it was a tool you've become very familiar with. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 07:08:16 AM
Great save, Cody! :like:

I use Channellock almost exclusively and have never had any issues with them aside from the rubber grips sliding off and needing to be glued back on. I find they don't round off bolts if they are positioned properly and gripped firmly. But, as with anything, getting them situated isn't always as easy as knowing how to position them. :facepalm:

The newer groovelock ones have a different tooth setup, which works well in some scenarios. I have also seen them with rounded opening jaws as well.
There are many styles to choose from.  :)

A photos of some of the Channellocks in my tool box.
20180819_080709-1.jpeg
* 20180819_080709-1.jpeg (Filesize: 119.98 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:56:09 AM
 :tu: for Channellocks.

Years ago, when I worked in a soybean processing plant, a flashlight and a 6" pair of Channellocks were the tools that pretty everyone had on them all the time.

us Online ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:54 PM
Big an of ChannelLock and that they have been able to continue manufacturing in the US is a big plus for me. I'm not "anti-anywhere else", I just want to make sure we can still manufacture and keep jobs here in the US.

I now have two of these, a 420 and a smaller one. Just so damn helpful. My father was a welder who also worked on his own cars. These were prevalent throughout his toolboxes and used often. Called for by name.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 12:28:48 AM
Somehow I missed this thread.  I'm a big Channel lock fan myself!  They're made about 2 hours drive west of me in Meadville, Pennsylvania in a 100+ year old plant. 
Barry

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 05:22:10 AM
 :like:

Since posting my photo, I have bought three more 440s, another 420 and another set of groovelocks.
I would like to get the 20" Channellocks at some point, but I'm having a hard time trying to justify such a massive set of pliers, outside of just "having them".  :rofl:

I don't know how they manage their excellent prices(well, partly from their hard-to-abuse warranty policy), but I sure don't mind forgoing a coffee or energy drink for the day to buy the Channellocks over the "cheapies". :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 12:01:12 AM
The Channellocks that no one knows about, but should have are Channellock 410's, the parrot jaw pliers.  The parallel curved jaws are great for removing bolts with rounded heads.  Smaller than, but just as tenacious as a pipe wrench with even more gripping surface area.  They aren't often used, but when I need them there really is no substitute.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:42:19 AM
Is the photo blurry to those on the desktop site?

This is an old collection photo, I've added about six since then....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 05:55:53 AM
That's an awesome lineup of my favorite tool brand!
Barry

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 09:10:57 PM
They're slightly off topic, but no one has mentioned Linesmans' pliers and Fencing pliers.  Channellock makes them, they aren't the classic adjustable pliers, but they are multipurpose pliers and that has to count for something on a MT forum.
CHA85_1200Wx1200H.jpg
* CHA85_1200Wx1200H.jpg (Filesize: 44.49 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 11:35:43 PM
They absolutely do!  I spent many hours with a pair of these as a boy running fence on my grandparent's farm.
Barry

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 03:55:17 AM
They absolutely do!  I spent many hours with a pair of these as a boy running fence on my grandparent's farm.
As convenient as having a toolbox in your pocket with a standards size multitool, tools like fencing pliers are a lot more practical when it comes to doing real work rather than a quick fix.  When it comes to hammering and applying leverage size really does matter.  Which is why I consider mini pry bars a joke. 

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 02:30:50 PM
The Channellocks that no one knows about, but should have are Channellock 410's, the parrot jaw pliers.  The parallel curved jaws are great for removing bolts with rounded heads.  Smaller than, but just as tenacious as a pipe wrench with even more gripping surface area.  They aren't often used, but when I need them there really is no substitute.
s-l1600a.jpg
* s-l1600a.jpg (Filesize: 127.92 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 03:10:11 PM
I'll post up pics when I get to my other computer.  I picked up a nice old pair of Channellock 420s.  They have pat numbers and a date that says 1953.  They could do with a bit of a once over with some steel wool and a wipe of oil.  I couldn't pass up on these even though I have a few of them. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 05:23:50 PM
Over the Years I have taken a Pair and ground the Handles Down to make them a bit easier to carry in a Bag and they have come in Handy. When I was in the Army a Long Long Time ago. Lots of Us did it with large Pliers to toss in a convenient Spot. I always grabbed the Pliers that had the Shear built in for cutting Wire..It was my Go To in the Field along with a SAK before Multi Pliers became a Thing..I have a Craftsman 10 or 12 inch Tongue and Groove Pliers (Channellock) cut down like this now in my Daypack..Its a testament to Channlelock that no matter who made them these days most folks call them Channelocks 
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 06:17:52 PM
Love Channellocks!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!