Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi-Plier Clones - Gerber look-alike Tools - Lets see them!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
I don't actively collect clones, but did want to have a small array of different types/eras of the multi-plier clones, because I am a huge fan of the Gerber Multi-Plier(Mr. Pinchy to some).

The three tools: Carolina Knife & Tool Original blunt nose Multi-Plier clone, Carolina Knife & Tool Later Needle Nose version, and "Renegade" Fishing multi-tool with extra long nose pliers.

Left to right: CK&T BN Original, CK&T NN Newer, and Renegade Fishing pliers.

I'd love to see what brands, types, quality level, and eras others might have of multi-plier clones. I know there are several brands that can be found to be stamped/etched with, but am not familiar with the extent of the branding.  :dunno:
From the three different era examples I've accumulated, I've noticed increasing little things not-done/done-to for the sake of cost-cutting(to keep the tools in their $10-$20 price bracket against inflation).
The phillips drivers are good examples of the cost cutting, with the CK&T BN having a great phillips and the later CK&T/Renegade tools having poorly formed phillips drivers.
Another good example is the fit & finish of the sliding setup. The original CK&T is smooth and uses four pan screws, the later CK&T uses well-formed studs and two pan screws, and the Renegade has poorly-formed studs and two pan screws. The threading of the screws gets worst generation to generation as well.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Here is a bit of interesting history...Fiskars bought Gerber back in 87. Those Carolina Knife and Tool models are actually an economy line of Fiskars....not exactly a clone per see. I have not seen that Renegade before. I do have a Winchester fishing plier version (I think...I might have to go and take a look).
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Zombie Apprentice
Here is a bit of interesting history...Fiskars bought Gerber back in 87. Those Carolina Knife and Tool models are actually an economy line of Fiskars....not exactly a clone per see. I have not seen that Renegade before. I do have a Winchester fishing plier version (I think...I might have to go and take a look).
Thank you for the information, Chako! :cheers:

Do you know if there is any history on Fiskar's CK&T multitools?
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Not that I am aware of.

Note the Fiskar branded tools...also my 3 examples of Carolina Knife & Tool...and that Winchester fisherman. Of interest is the Paul Chen Professional. Take a look here for some excellent into on this tool...

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Paul+Chen+Multi+Tasker

Edit: Here is a 2013 thread you may find of interest...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=48441.0

• Zombie Apprentice
Awesome grouping, Chako! :o
Thanks for taking the time and sharing that! :salute:

The Paul Chen is a favorite of mine, so much so that I bought two of then. However, as good as they are, the newer ones have plastic mounts for the sheer blades. I had pne mount break so far, but a bit of PVC cement did the trick to glue it back.

That NN CK&T with newer stamping, but older thick handles is really cool. First time I've seen one! :like:

The BO Fiskars is awesome as well. Didn't know they had produced a BO until now. The Fiskars marked MPs are really hard to find these days. :ahhh

The Winchester you pictured looks identical to the Renegade. My best guess is that the company who owns the Winchester name decided to try rebranding the tool with Renegade name for certain customer bases who figured out Winchester is one of the worst things that can be written on modern multitools. :ahhh

Will have to post pics of the Paul Chens and the one Fiskars MP I have in a bit. The Fiskars was one of those "desperate to own, so bought a jacked up example", but turned out to look brand new once cleaned up.  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I am thinking that the Winchester and Renegade is made by the same factory that does the Carolina Knife and Tools lineup...seeing that it is their budget line. The Winchester I have is definitely a budget tool compared to the Gerber fishing pliers. I think Winchester will brand anything to get their name out there, not caring about the quality of the goods. I know their firearms are very good...but their knives and other stuff leaves a lot to be desired.  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for the correction, Chako!  :salute:

I had assumed that the company had rights to the Winchester name, but Winchester just lets them use their name under license. :ahhh

The Renegade is kind of cool, in the way it has just about any corners cut, that could possibly be cut, to produce it. :rofl:
I feel sorry for the worker who is told to assemble and finish that tool, with it having so many poor machining issues and such, in the short amount of time I am sure they are allowed. The pliers mount screw threads on one side almost cut through the pliers head body. Fortunately I was able to loctite the threads and it won't get any real usage. :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Photo with the Fiskars and Paul Chen.  :)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I have a couple of cheap no-name copies (totally unbranded) of the famous Mr Pinchy. 

One of them is so cheap it doesn't have sliding pliers, they're just fixed. For some light amusement read this thread:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78561.0.html
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for the link, Greg! I jad forgotten about the fixed pliers one. :rofl:

:D  I am rather partial to my odd-ball tools.

This one appealed because in my imagination the design process went something like this:

Marketer: Let's copy a Mr Pinchy.
Management:  OK
Tool maker:  Oh, the sliding pliers design is a bear to engineer and it will cost an extra 10c per tool.
Accounts:  We can't have that, can you make it cheaper somehow ?
Office Cleaner: I know, just have fixed pliers, a bit like those Sog Toolclip knock-offs we made last month.
Accountant:  Sounds excellent, and while you are at it use rivets rather than screws, that saves 1c per tool :)
Designer:  But then it isn't very compact and it's not the same as a real Mr Pinchy.
Marketer: That's OK, our target audience won't notice (or care)
Management:  Just make the thing as cheaply as possible and get it out of the way, my bonus is depending on this month's production numbers.

some time later....
Marketer:  This tool just isn't selling
Accountant:  Well make something else, I know, try that PST as a basis......
:rofl:

As funny as it is, it is still a cool piece. :like:
The toolset looks to be a bit better quality than the later CK&T, Winchester, and Renegade versions.

*ChopperCharle's photos of the tool Greg owns.*
IMG_4656.jpg
* IMG_4656.jpg (Filesize: 153.14 KB)
IMG_4657.jpg
* IMG_4657.jpg (Filesize: 129.84 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%