Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage SwissChamp TimeKeeper battery installation

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Part of an SOS kit I found yesterday. Never had a battery in it so first priority!

Ticking away perfectly. Unusual quartz movement. Swiss ETA. Advances every 5 seconds (can hear the tick).

Claimed to be water-resistant (has an o-ring on the snap battery cover), but I won’t risk it. I can always pop out the movement if I need to flush/clean the SAK.

More pics to follow as I also got an older SOS kit with an original SwissChamp...so look out for some comparisons!  :popcorn:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Vintage SwissChamp TimeKeeper battery installation
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:23:59 AM
Nice!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 11:29:09 AM
Cool knife, nice score on the set. I always wondered how the watch was integrated into the scale. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Is it a new battery? My guess is that it ticks every 5 seconds to extend battery power. Some ladies watches without second hands do it normally. Some watches with second hands do it when the battery runs low.

I wouldn't risk getting the watch wet either, especially if the knife's going to be a user.
Rambler

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:32:01 AM
Nice SAK Max  :like:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 12:23:54 PM
Cool knife, nice score on the set. I always wondered how the watch was integrated into the scale. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Is it a new battery? My guess is that it ticks every 5 seconds to extend battery power...

Thanks everyone.  :hatsoff:

Yes, new battery and keeping time. As there’s no second hand, the mechanism only needs to advance the minutes and 5 seconds is a good choice to save power. Modern stepper-motor analogue quartz watches typically advance the minute hand every 20 seconds. They’re not geared to the second hand like a mechanical spring-driven watch.

I will start a new thread later today on the SOS kits I got and also a comparison of the SwissChamps.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%