Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOS! Two vintage Survival Kits compared

nl Offline EMZ

Re: SOS! Two vintage Survival Kits compared
Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 02:47:49 PM
Here the manual of the SwissChamp belonging to the small SOS set.
P6106246.JPG
* P6106246.JPG (Filesize: 202.71 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 03:42:32 PM
I do agree about the SwissChamps’ being added in the retail store out of sequence with the SOS kits.  :iagree:

Some good info EMZ. I think my smaller kit is one of the early ones as the SwissChamp in it is 1st-gen with the narrow pliers and the owner I bought it from bought it new as a kit. It has the looped side flaps that were replaced with Velcro later.

I think between a few of us, there’s enough info to update SAKWiki with a dedicated page on these Survival Kits, what do you think?  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 04:22:11 PM
I so wanted one of these when they first came out! I saw the single pouch and thought it would be a great way to carry some basic supplies 24/7. But bills had to be paid, children had to be raised and Altoid kit had to be created, so alas, my dream was never to be fulfilled. Thank you for bringing a bit of the thrill of my younger days back :cheers:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 04:42:48 PM
The smaller kit seems the better choice. Shame they dropped it and only carry the double one now...and even this model seems to be missing from Vic’s website. Need to research this a little more...

One nice compact option that appears current is the Traveller Set (1.8726). No survival goodies, but pairs a Huntsman with a Maglite and compass. Probably room for a few bandaids inside. But does not have the same appeal as the original Survival Kits...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 05:09:12 PM

I think between a few of us, there’s enough info to update SAKWiki with a dedicated page on these Survival Kits, what do you think?  :dunno:

I'd love the see a section of wiki devoted to the survival kits. I've always thought of them as sort of the crescendo of the Swiss army knife. The ultimate realization of their purpose.

I'm afraid I don't have much to add in terms of knowledge. I do have a couple of SOS pouches on the way, which could prove useful, but no original full kits of anything.
--
'Buzz

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 05:48:17 PM
Definitely better as less likely to perish over time. Do you know how old the pouch is?
The Swisschamp dates to the early 90's, yet the previous owner said he used it "for some years" during work before switching to a Leatherman.
Maybe he got it NOS? :shrug:
The set is complete apart from 2 matches missing from the slip.

No damaged tools or dirt either, so I wonder what use it saw... If any

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 06:44:35 PM
I think most of these kits get ‘scavenged’ over time. Bandaid here, match there...

But I agree with you Buzz, these kits deserve better representation on SAKWiki. I think I may just put a page together and ask one of the administrators for their support.  :cheers:

Edit: just took some pics comparing the cm ruler errors, details to follow later.  :popcorn:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 08:01:13 PM
Ok so I mixed up my columns.  :facepalm:  the current SiwssChamp I have has an accurate cm scale, but I did the photo comparison so here goes...

Here’s the setup. Red SC is 1988 vintage, black SC is new.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:37 PM
First up...inch scale. Both very close to perfect, less than 1/100th in error, so you’re good on this side of the ruler!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 08:06:56 PM
Here’s the cm scale...the vintage Champ is 0.46mm short, which is quite a lot (5% on the first cm). The current model is OK-ish (0.24mm long)...

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 08:08:58 PM
Not much error? Well here’s the caliper set to 20mm to show the gap on both, you can judge...

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #41 on: June 10, 2019, 08:12:37 PM
And here’s the two tips, so you can see the tic-marks alignment with the scallops...with this ‘mapping’ you can compare to your own and check if your ruler is accurate without needing to use a caliper. Ruler on the right is the modern (accurate) scale...also note the font difference!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #42 on: June 10, 2019, 08:31:43 PM
This table (now corrected  :tu: ) probably deserves it's own post, which I may do once I've made some reference shots. I've realized that there are many noticeable differences I've not seen listed elsewhere. I've highlighted in green the easy identifiers that help to narrow the manufacture date down somewhat, but I will need some help with some change-overs, like the change of the main blade tang thickness, when they added an integrated spacer at some point to the outer liner. I found a few more differences on the scissors and pliers that I was not expecting (will make reference photos for the new post), and other differences with the Phillips, cap-lifter, awl and spacers that are worth noting.  :salute:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #43 on: June 10, 2019, 08:48:20 PM
If necessary, you can use my pictures and findings to fill the Sakwiki.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 09:15:28 PM
Here’s the cm scale...the vintage Champ is 0.46mm short, which is quite a lot (5% on the first cm). The current model is OK-ish (0.24mm long)...

Well, at least on the new model, so you can file the end down until it's perfect?

This table (now corrected  :tu: ) probably deserves it's own post

Definitely deserves a post of its own. Highly worthy reference material.
--
'Buzz

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 10:47:22 PM
If necessary, you can use my pictures and findings to fill the Sakwiki.

Thanks EMZ!  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 10:50:18 PM
Well, at least on the new model, so you can file the end down until it's perfect?

Definitely deserves a post of its own. Highly worthy reference material.

...but then inch rule will be short...  :facepalm:

Definitely will put some info together and PM one of the SAKWiki admins. Especially as it seems Victorinox has now discontinued all of the survival kits.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:32 PM
I've liked the SOS kits since they were introduced.
vic-sos-kits-1.JPG
* vic-sos-kits-1.JPG (Filesize: 204.27 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 11:06:50 PM
Great selection toolguy  :like: I may just PM you with a few questions if the SAKWiki page for the SOS kits gets approved.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:31 PM
Great selection toolguy  :like: I may just PM you with a few questions if the SAKWiki page for the SOS kits gets approved.

Sure,no problem.

The SOS kit on the right at the bottom is actually a Work Champ with all of the SOS kit accoutrements.LOL
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:12 PM
Thought it looked a bit taller.  :tu:

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 11:37:01 AM
@ EMZ : fantastic piece of work mate ! kudos from Europe.

As a reward/eye candy, my own 50 cents :

Different ruler/compass, material is some sort of OD Vinyl.

Comb and fishing kit missing. Looking for them.
Zupertimer.jpg
* Zupertimer.jpg (Filesize: 197.63 KB)
Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:52 AM
More pics of my own double-pouch SK. It is by no means original, I had to buy some spares to beef it up.
I believe most of the add-ons come from subcontractors and vary slightly over time.
The rigid cardboard store display is in my collection and provides for an interesting reference.
SK 1.jpg
* SK 1.jpg (Filesize: 81.19 KB)
SK 2.jpg
* SK 2.jpg (Filesize: 86.53 KB)
SK 3.jpg
* SK 3.jpg (Filesize: 213.66 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 01:37:34 PM
@ EMZ : fantastic piece of work mate ! kudos from Europe.

As a reward/eye candy, my own 50 cents :

Different ruler/compass, material is some sort of OD Vinyl.

Comb and fishing kit missing. Looking for them.

Thanks Ptisuisse for this info.  :tu:

Is there a part number stamped on the back of the pouch? I’ve seen the green canvas pouch, but yours looks black (edit: dark green)? Do you have an idea of age of your kit?

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 02:32:30 PM
Thanks Ptisuisse for this info.  :tu:

Is there a part number stamped on the back of the pouch? I’ve seen the green canvas pouch, but yours looks black (edit: dark green)? Do you have an idea of age of your kit?
the back side says exactly :
Mod.dep

(mod.dep. is short for modèle déposé which means registered design).
I bought that kit so long ago, in Germany I think. No idea of a date, sorry.
The pouch is your usual aged olive drab, just like old army stuff can be.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 02:40:33 PM
Thank you Ptisuisse.  :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #56 on: June 11, 2019, 03:14:13 PM
Does anybody know of PDF file for the SOS Kit instruction sheet, so one could print it out a fresh copy?
--
'Buzz

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #57 on: June 11, 2019, 03:19:13 PM
Did Adobe exist when Victorinox released the SOS kits?  :pok:

The instruction sheets I have for the single and double kits are NIB so I can scan on my flatbed and post as PDFs, but they are the 1st gen models.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 06:17:23 PM
Great thread!  These kits have always fascinated me.
Barry

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #59 on: June 11, 2019, 08:24:35 PM
Thanks Barry...it gets better.  :hatsoff:

I have the green light to build a dedicated page on SAKWiki covering these kits, linked from the SwissChamp page. So something to look forward to.  :popcorn:

I did a  survival course in the military many years ago, so looking forward to adding some relevant details (and some opinions) about the individual contents of these kits. Should be a fun read.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%