Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire Kit and Modding MT for ferro rod striking [Badge request]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I live in an urban jungle, but whenever I do get a chance to go outdoor, I always look for an excuse to use my fire kit and play a little bushcrafting. 

Here are some of the goodies I put in my fire starting kit, and I would usually bring a few different methods/tinder to a trip for practice or real use.

Top row are some of the fire starting devices(from Left to right):
1) Mag bar and ferro rod; Good o' Doan Magnesium bar and ferro rod
2) Flint and Steel; The steeling on top of a char cloth making tin box(which has some char cloth and flint inside), also a small roll of char cloth in a bag
3) Large size ferro rod and striker
4) Various kind of spark wheels (UST, AMK, Vargo)
5) Various kind of fluid lights; most trusted Bic Light, Iroda(turning a bic lighter into a pressurized torch), wind proof lighter.  Definitely my prefer method to start fire when I am hungry or cold. :D
6) Honorable mention on top Light my fire knife and my trusted Mora Bushcraft survival black(love, love, love this knife)

Bottom row are some of the tinders(from Left to right)
1) Cotton ball (works wonder with Vaseline, stored in film can)
2) Fat wood
3) Igknight bricks (kinda fat wood shaving)
4) Tinder Quik (love this thing, light weight, can be rolled into thinner shape, and lit up even when wet)
5) Puck of wood shaving; I got this when I get a box of firewood, but could have sworn it is one of the worse kind of tinder man could ever known, sometimes can't even lit up with lighter :twak:
6) Wet fire (another favorite of mine, also can be lit in water.  However, since tinder-quik can be rolled into smaller shape, I actually prefer that than this)

Since we are on MTO, it wouldn't be complete without dragging some MT into this topic.  Here is a video I made long ago about modding or using MTs for ferro rod striking, hope you would enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1HLfWnI6M0

Enough of me babbling, what are some of your favorite kind items in your fire starting kit?  Please do share... :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Awarded !    :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Great kit comis and congratulations on your badge  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Great kit comis and congratulations on your badge  :cheers: :like:

Thanks Wspeed!  :cheers:

I am sure I am not the only one in MTO who likes to play with fire >:D ...anyone else with a fire kit who wants to show and tell? :pok: :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
My fire stuff is pretty boring though.
Ran out of char cloth a while back, so need to make more.
Otherwise it's ferros, matches and a bic.

Since doing friction fires a few years ago I have been interested in trying a steel.
Just haven't got there yet.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
My fire stuff is pretty boring though.
Ran out of char cloth a while back, so need to make more.
Otherwise it's ferros, matches and a bic.

Since doing friction fires a few years ago I have been interested in trying a steel.
Just haven't got there yet.

zoidberg, thanks for tuning in!  :cheers:

I tried friction fire for fun once or twice, but gonna admit I am just too lazy to get good hang at it.  Fire making is fun, but given we are in the realm of MT.O, and everyone are always armed to teeth with gears, maybe the more primitive ways of fire making is just a less popular topic here.  :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I whipped up some char cloth today.   ;)   :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I whipped up some char cloth today.   ;)   :)

Sweet!  Using a tin with hole?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Sweet!  Using a tin with hole?

Yeah, I have an old 'DEATH MINTS' tin with a tiny hole drilled in the centre of the A.

I will look at making a steel when I get some free time.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Yeah, I have an old 'DEATH MINTS' tin with a tiny hole drilled in the centre of the A.

I will look at making a steel when I get some free time.

If you do, please come back and do show the pix!  :D

I am not as handy and just got one from the web, you probably knew this but in case anyone wants to make one--I think most are offered in carbon steel, which suppose to give more sparks than regular steel.  Also, if you have a mora knife with carbon steel, there is a good chance you could strike the spine of it to make spark.

it Offline Stefano

@Comis
Excellent equipment, very complete !

Here (Italy) firestarters are very expensive.
Large size are hard to find and have absurd prices (compared with other countries)
To save money I bought firestarters abroad with different results, some are of poor quality, others mediocre, others good.
In my everyday backpacks I bring minimal equipment, 1 Light My Fire "MIni" firestarter, the Mini version is very thin and slightly ignites but weighs little and this can be carried in backpacks or bags that are used in everyday life (see photo, it is the firestarter in orange color) ) cotton wool, a piece of aluminum paper and Alcohol Prep Pads (that are good for both disinfection and fire, they take up very little space and are valid for multiple purposes)

In some backpacks I transport all this inside a small metal box and in that case I also insert a mini BIC lighter

In other more complete backpacks or in emergency kits I have firesteel of the same brand but larger (Light My Fire model Scout and Army) together with fuel tablets (here they are called "Diavolina")
I also have firestarters of "The Friendly Swede" (large size) they are very expensive but very good but I don't wear them with me regularly.

In the pictures:
Light My Fire Mini (Orange) and Scout (which has a whistle built into the handle)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Hey, Stefano!

Thank you for sharing :cheers: , I too am a fan of "light my fire" ferro rods and strikers, their setup is functional and I always think the whistle was a nice touch.  Good idea of alcohol pads as tinder too, I did put a few in my small survival kit for that purpose.

I recalled seeing something similar to your "The Friendly Swede" combo, but can't remember what brand or where did I see it? :think:   I think the minor drawback is there is no lanyard hole in the ferro rod, which could be a bummer if they got separated. 

it Offline Stefano

Hey, Stefano!

Thank you for sharing :cheers: , I too am a fan of "light my fire" ferro rods and strikers, their setup is functional and I always think the whistle was a nice touch

Yes they are very functional, Light My Fire and The Friendly Sweede make more sparks than any other I've seen.
But they are very expensive, two The Friendly Sweede irons like the ones in the picture cost 19 euros.
Last year they TFS told me that they would cease the production of Outdoor accessories to devote themselves only to bags and suitcases but currently I'm happy to see that these irons are still for sale.

Regarding the hole on the TFS irons I went to check.
It is present in both pieces, only that in the small part (Scraper) it is clearly visible, in the long iron it is present on the side.
The only criticism I make of TFS is that chrome chain, could it be broken and perhaps even be noisy in the backpack? I would have preferred a piece of orange paracord 275 but this can be done by the customer.

The small orange Light My Fire costs 8 euros (about 10 euros for the Scout model and 14 euros for the Army model)

Another good Firestarter I bought last year on asiatic website, I bought first one to see it and then another 3 paying around 3.60 euros per piece.
It was a good deal, the iron is not as good as TFS or LMF but it is quite good.
It is still on sale but strangely they no longer ship it to Italy.

A Firestarter similar (or the same ??) to the one I bought on asiatic website is sold on the Italian amazon for about 10 euros.
As you can see here things are very expensive, when possible I try to buy these things abroad.
Reading on the web and seeing the prices I got the idea that in the USA these things are more widespread and they also cost a lot less.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Then it must have not been the same thing I did recall, it's nice to see the lanyard hole is on the side of the ferro rod holder, so it won't get in the way during use. :like:

I guess the ball and chain could be nice if you want to separate the two when using them, but you are right, it could be dangling around and might even break without knowing.  Nonetheless, I do like these kinda of gears, a nice useful alternative to the lighters.

it Offline Stefano

I like these instruments too, I have a good supply but I would like to buy more.
Perhaps as a next purchase I could buy bars without handles like the one you have in the picture, they are less expensive.
But the ones I saw on an Asian site are not so large and are not drilled to insert the cord.
I hope other forum members publish photos of their firestarters, it's nice to see what others are using.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Mini update.

Heated and bent an old round file into a U shape, grinded it down some.
Whipped down to the river with the kids and gathered up a few different rocks to hit.
Realized I left the char cloth tin on the bench at home.

:facepalm:

Back at home we managed to light some char cloth and get a fire going.
Did take a few attempts and I might have hit my finger a couple times.

Pics will happen next time.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Mini update.

Heated and bent an old round file into a U shape, grinded it down some.
Whipped down to the river with the kids and gathered up a few different rocks to hit.
Realized I left the char cloth tin on the bench at home.

:facepalm:

Back at home we managed to light some char cloth and get a fire going.
Did take a few attempts and I might have hit my finger a couple times.

Pics will happen next time.

Good man, thank you for the update! :cheers:

Sounds like a fun day with kids!  I look forward to these photo, too bad there is no making-of pictures, I'd love to see that!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Good man, thank you for the update! :cheers:

Sounds like a fun day with kids!  I look forward to these photo, too bad there is no making-of pictures, I'd love to see that!

I got given an old rasp, just need to go down the road and pick it up. Will try and get pics if making more strikers ever happens.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I got given an old rasp, just need to go down the road and pick it up. Will try and get pics if making more strikers ever happens.

That'd be great, I don't know whether it's relevant, but the steel I got has ample space between my knuckles and the striking surface, maybe that'd help to prevent striking the fingers?  Also, the maker also put into some cross stitch pattern on the face of the striker, I guess to create more edges/friction to spark off?  :think:

Nonetheless, you are way more handier than I, and I do look forward to the next iteration if there is a chance for another one. :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%