Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Workchamp - File catches on divider

Offline MrVic

Vic Workchamp - File catches on divider
on: June 09, 2019, 11:35:40 PM
Hi guys and gals

I just received a Victorinox Workchamp and I noticed that the metal file catches on th metal layer divider when closing. It doesn’t stop it from closing, but it does catch it a little when closing. Seems that it sits ever so slightly to the right.

Has anyone else had this? Would you return it or keep it?

Thanks!

us Offline Buzzbait

Re: Vic Workchamp - File catches on divider
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:38:31 PM
I recently purchased and older SwissChamp with glass magnifier. From what I could tell, the only signs of use were minor scratches on the scales. But the file was just slightly bent to the left, and would tend to catch the liner sometimes. I ended to bending the file at the tang, ever so slightly, and giving the tool a good oiling. Now it closes properly every time.
--
'Buzz

Offline MrVic

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
I recently purchased and older SwissChamp with glass magnifier. From what I could tell, the only signs of use were minor scratches on the scales. But the file was just slightly bent to the left, and would tend to catch the liner sometimes. I ended to bending the file at the tang, ever so slightly, and giving the tool a good oiling. Now it closes properly every time.

Thanks Buzzbait, really appreciate you taking the time to explain that!  :climber:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:46 AM
I would return it if new, and fix it if used.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 05:20:11 PM
Fixing it could be dangerous.  You never know which bend will be the the straw that breaks the camels back.  Generally, unless it really impacts usability, I find it safer to just leave these imperfections in that try to correct and risk snapping the blade.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:10:52 PM
Hi, if you bought the Workchamp for using it as a tool, I would keep it. But if you bought it s a collectors item I would return it.

Offline MrVic

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:05:03 AM
Fixing it could be dangerous.  You never know which bend will be the the straw that breaks the camels back.  Generally, unless it really impacts usability, I find it safer to just leave these imperfections in that try to correct and risk snapping the blade.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense!  :tu:

Offline MrVic

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:06:03 AM
Hi, if you bought the Workchamp for using it as a tool, I would keep it. But if you bought it s a collectors item I would return it.

Tbh I did by it for use as a tool. I was hoping to find enough reason to not sent it back! Thanks  :salute:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 02:29:26 AM
Was it new?   -   Liner or slide lock?   ???

Anyway I recently bought a new slide lock model - No problems at all with the file snapping perfectly into place
Although I did check and noted it was a very tight fit for the file in between the two liners - So any small tolerance failure could cause it to catch.

If it were me I would go for bending it slightly - I remember Syph007 once saying this usually works and is always OK  .... And he of all people would know!!

Although I did try it on an old 60s Wenger Soldier main blade
The problem was the blade sprung across ever so slightly (in the closed position) when you opened the awl, and this interfered with the the tang of the awl when you closed the awl.
- I could not bend the blade at all to fix the problem   :(  ..... At least not with the amount of force I was prepared to apply !!   :think:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:33 AM
Bend it. I've bent several back to clear the liners. Twice on my original '84.5 knife. Both times it was bent in use as a saw.  I've bent several used ones to repair case hardened versions and haven't broken one yet.  I can't stand using tools that need to be coaxed back in to put away. Especially so for saws and files.

If you break it, send it to Victorinox for the repair.  It's not your fault it was like that in the first place. You shouldn't have to live with it.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%