Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stiff Charge TTi Pliers

us Offline masterjuggler

• Funtionality-70% Looks-30%
Stiff Charge TTi Pliers
on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:06 PM
Okay, first I promise this isn't just more of the same that's been regurgitated over and over again. At least I hope not after digging through threads and Googling  :D

I've had a Charge TTi sitting around for a while because I could never get the pliers to loosen up, even after a good amount of use. What happens is I lube and work it to loosen up, and it does, even to the point of swinging from gravity. As soon as I try to grip something with the pliers they immediately stiffen up again, as if something is wedging itself from the pressure.

I've let it soak in wd-40, blasted it out with brake cleaner, then put in some tri-flo with teflon. It always works perfectly right up until I give it a squeeze.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is there something that can be done?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Stiff Charge TTi Pliers
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:08:00 PM
Something isn't right. You should send it to Leatherman under warranty .

it Offline balvenie

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:37:27 PM
It happen also to my wave..... I consider it normal just because if not, after some use, you would have a leatherman with big play side to side. IMHO
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:43:28 PM
That doesn’t sound right  :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline masterjuggler

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:45:13 PM
I've put quite a bit of use into it and it's pretty strange behavior. I decided to give leatherman a call for the heck of it, expecting them to say it'll loosen with use, and they told me to send it in, also thinking it wasn't normal. So I'll send it in for a repair.

Thanks for the replies, I wanted to make sure I wasn't overthinking it lol.

Sent from my Phh-Treble vanilla using Tapatalk

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:49:25 PM
Hopefully they will send you a replacement  :tu:

us Offline masterjuggler

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:53:30 PM
Yup, I sure hope so. It has sentimental value because it's signed by leatherman so I'm checking off that option on the warranty claim, so I'm hoping they'll just replace the pliers. It's quite annoying that they never loosened up properly.

Sent from my Phh-Treble vanilla using Tapatalk

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:55:31 PM
That would be a shame to lose the signature from Tim  >:(

us Offline masterjuggler

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:59:06 PM
Yeah, so I've been reluctant to send it in. I definitely want to get it working nicely though so I'll actually put it to use. I don't just want to leave such a nice tool sitting on a shelf.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:05:58 PM
Tools need to be used  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 07:09:13 AM
Yeah, so I've been reluctant to send it in. I definitely want to get it working nicely though so I'll actually put it to use. I don't just want to leave such a nice tool sitting on a shelf.

That's a tough call.  I guess it boils down to whether you would choose potentially a new working tool vs a semi-working tool with the signature.  Personally, I think I would choose later, since there is just no guarantee they will send back the tool with the original signature.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:46:46 AM
They will take care of it if it is marked and they see it is signed by Tim :salute: Sorry you had to send it in but that would be a very aggravating issue to deal with  :facepalm: :D Let us know how it goes though :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 12:41:25 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline masterjuggler

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 03:03:07 PM
Thanks guys, I'll definitely post back here when I get it back.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26:52 PM
Leatherman will definitely fix you up. :tu:

I bought a well-used Wave at one point that had a broken file. I called LM and asked them if I could buy a file to put in myself, since the tool was second hand. The woman on the phone said she appreciated the fact I admitted it was a used tool, but said to send it in anyway. They changed the pliers head(worn), PE blade(worn), SE blade(dinged up), scissors, and bits in the exchangers. What I got back was a well used looking Wave with almost all new implements. Guess they fixed up the worn handles/frame as a precaution to prevent the tool from being resellable as new. I still use that Wave periodically and always appreciate the CS of LM. And as a result of their kindness in fixing a tool I told them was second-hand, I became a fan and have bought at least $1400 in tools from their website since(not counting many other tools from other sites and Wal-Mart). :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 06:03:32 PM
Nice one GLBM  :like: :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 07:22:01 PM
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline masterjuggler

Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 06:37:32 AM
I finally got my charge back, looks like they replaced the plier head and the knife blade for some reason. Still an S30V, so I'm not complaining lol. Doesn't look like the whole tool was replaced judging from the bits of pocket lint still inside, and the titanium scales are still signed.

The pliers are definitely better than before. Interestingly enough they exhibit the same behavior of being able to be loosened by working and twisting, then stiffening up once they grip something tight. The old pair used to swing from gravity then lock up almost entirely, so this pair is worlds better. They should free up pretty well from being worked in front of the TV with some wd-40.

I'd love to cut one of these plier heads open one day and see exactly how they're made. I just don't understand why they'd stiffen up from gripping something.

I'm any case, I have my tool back, so I'm happy. I also got an SOG powerpint for EDC which I plan to deck out with new tools and might make a thread for in its subforum. Just finished PID controlling my little kiln and can heat treat steels really consistently. I've got some 1084, 52100, and 5160 I can play around with.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 07:30:52 AM
I finally got my charge back, looks like they replaced the plier head and the knife blade for some reason. Still an S30V, so I'm not complaining lol. Doesn't look like the whole tool was replaced judging from the bits of pocket lint still inside, and the titanium scales are still signed.

The pliers are definitely better than before. Interestingly enough they exhibit the same behavior of being able to be loosened by working and twisting, then stiffening up once they grip something tight. The old pair used to swing from gravity then lock up almost entirely, so this pair is worlds better. They should free up pretty well from being worked in front of the TV with some wd-40.

I'd love to cut one of these plier heads open one day and see exactly how they're made. I just don't understand why they'd stiffen up from gripping something.

I'm any case, I have my tool back, so I'm happy. I also got an SOG powerpint for EDC which I plan to deck out with new tools and might make a thread for in its subforum. Just finished PID controlling my little kiln and can heat treat steels really consistently. I've got some 1084, 52100, and 5160 I can play around with.
That is awesome they got it sorted for you! :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 12:18:09 PM
Nice one glad you got it back again  :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 12:19:05 PM
Glad LM sorted you out on the issue :salute: :like:

us Offline MTFool

Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 01:34:29 AM
 :cheers:  Way to go  masterjuggler, I hope you get years of use from them.

Good ol leatherman strikes  again !!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD