Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Tactical Shemagh? Any info?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
The Tactical Shemagh? Any info?
on: June 11, 2019, 07:12:23 AM
Ok maybe someone can help me out on this subject?
I'd wear a collared long sleeve shirt over top of my other shirt during summer let alone a boonie hat to keep the sun off of me cause I’d burn up very quickly, of course the kids and wife would laugh at me but they’d also burn up and I’d be the one laughing since I had no burns because I was covered!

I’ve always thought of getting a shemagh? If that’s what there called, because with my summer boonie hats they work great for the face and ears but only cover a little of the neck, the collard shirt covered the rest, so I figured this would do the rest without wearing the extra shirt? But I just have no clue on this subject so if anyone has any knowledge on them it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
I’ve seen some cool designs but fig so long as they were tan so they didn’t absorb the heat from the sun would make them the best?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Re: The Tactical Shemagh? Any info?
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:45:18 PM
I guess no ones ever heard or used one?
I could have used one being in the mowing the lawn today, I think?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:21:33 PM
I think shemagh are probably best used in dessert area, where it's will keep the sun away and keep you warm at night.  I used to wear them whenever I'm in a dessert area for photography, and no one is around.  I knew there is certain cultural linkage to this wear, though I'm no expert, I didn't want to offend anyone without knowing(quick googlefu yield this result, may need further reading to understand this fully)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/amp/comment/2018/2/13/so-you-want-to-wear-a-keffiyeh&ved=2ahUKEwiUxJ-ygeLiAhXVAYgKHR7rA8oQFjAOegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw11TA0Y2_P97A5igmyfngfc&ampcf=1&cshid=1560276489868

Nowadays, I find a buff with a boonie much more versatile and manageable than a shemagh, basically I could cover my entire neck and head up, and it's dries quick and fairly breathable too.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:15 PM
Thanks,
I remember back in the day my grandmother wanted to get me one of those hats that completely covered you neck because she lived in Arizona but I only got cowboy hats! Arizona is very sunny and very hot but a very dry heat, so a shemagh would be great,
   Last year I made a little something, I took a boonie and cut up a crappy shirt, added snaps and put it on the back, it turned out “ok” not the best but “ok” when wearing it, it can kinda get tucked up above the shoulders around the neck, just figured one of these might be better the. What I made,
JR

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:58:55 PM
I have a shemagh that I brought back from the desert. I like 'em and occasionally wear one around my neck when motorcycling (to keep the sun off).  Soaked with cold water, they can be cooling on a ride.

However, as comis suggested, the Buff is easier to wear and, in some ways generally more versatile. A Buff can provide some great sun protection.  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:01:33 PM
Ok and a buff is on of this tube thingies, for some reason my pad wasn’t let me look it up
JR

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:45:35 PM
Yes it is.
Available in multiple kinds of cloth.
Cotton, wool, thinsulate, ...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:13 PM
You buy 1 and get like 4 free or something like that?
JR

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:44:27 AM
You buy 1 and get like 4 free or something like that?
JR

Lol, not sure you could get 1 for 4 if it is original buff, but there are literally hundreds of them to choose from.  I remembered using it in Arizona when I was visiting national parks, and it worked wonderfully with cool water on neck.  Love that thing.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 01:48:28 AM
Not a buff, but same usage, no? And in the package you can switch things up, so instead of just getting the same thing, get the ones that go on the arms, or one for the dog, just not in that package,
JR
https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-get-4-faceshields-fb5/#configuration

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 01:50:15 AM
Now as far as wet I have some unique towel, you wet it with cold water then snap it, it’s suppose to make it much cooler? I just haven’t used it yet because I haven’t been soo hot,,
Knock on wood!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 01:57:06 AM

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 02:54:02 AM
Personally, I think the easiest solution is to get a hat with a wider brim, and then dispense with the shemagh, or buff, or whatever.  I have an old Tilley hat that was, at the time I bought it, the widest-brimmed washable (i.e. not straw) hat they had.  It appears to have been discontinued, but the closest current model looks like the LTM2 AIRFLO.  It has always provided plenty of sun protection on its own, but if it isn't enough for you, you can add the TCA SUN PROTECTION CAPE.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 03:31:00 AM
A tillys is a little out of my price range but I did find a little something like them, a Dickies, it has the venting around the top to cool down, yet was not bad on the price, but I wasn’t to thrilled, very very light weight!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 03:35:36 AM
Oh and the one thing I was too sure about was that venting setup, I shave my head, so will it get burnt?
JR

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 05:05:38 AM
Another vote for a buff here. Love these things. In Winter to keep my neck warm and in summer to keep my head and neck from bad sunburn  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 06:08:17 AM
Ok, so another buff user, got a question does it have to be a “buff” or are imitations ok?
JR

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 07:31:39 AM
A tillys is a little out of my price range but I did find a little something like them, a Dickies, it has the venting around the top to cool down, yet was not bad on the price, but I wasn’t to thrilled, very very light weight!
JR

I think I might have the exact same hat as yours, and I do agree with Nate, a lightweight hat with wide brim is indeed half the battle.  I too do use arm sleeve to protect my arms too, I love those second to my buff.  Choose those light weight spf rated sleeves, and they could be taken on and off in seconds when I am indoor.  Those arm sleeves are especially handy when you are driving long hours under the sun.

I guess you don't have to get 'Buff' brand per se, but it'd be good if those material are legit SPF proof and won't smell bad after use(especially with all the sweat and breathing).

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 10:10:51 AM
I've got face masks, balaclavas and neck socks that I wear, mostly motorcycling, but occasionally in winter. Arguably in a lighter material that might suit in summer, but for your original idea - a shemagh/scarf/bandana/neckerchief setup (naming convention more a matter of your choice of material, pattern, and manner of wear, since in any and all cases it's just a piece of cloth) is a fine enough thing.

A bit of a stuff around in some ways, but once you get the hang of it they're great at keeping wind, sun, and dust off your face and neck, and can give a bit of shade for the eyes too. Far better than a hat if you've got a dry windy day and don't particularly like windburn all over your cheeks, nose, and lips, and a sore throat and caked up nose from sucking dust all day.

I'm quite an advocate - having said that, I really only wear them when the climate and geography requires it. I feel a right tosser wearing one down the local cafe for a latte and a newspaper....

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 11:26:22 AM
Ok, so another buff user, got a question does it have to be a “buff” or are imitations ok?
JR
I only have experience with the one made by "Buff" (Nix sent me one!)
Very good to have. :tu:

Just the other day I forgot a microfiber cloth and my glasses were smeared. :poh:
I was able to clean them up significantly with my buff.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 11:33:25 AM
I love my Buff! I used to use it very day to bike 9 miles (work and back) under my helmet. In the summer it would wick away sweat from my head and protect my neck from sun. In the winter it would protect my face and neck from the wind. I've worn it hiking and biking and yeah, wouldn't be without one. I ordered mine from the official site to ensure getting a 'real' one. What I really love about them is just how small they pack down to in a bag or pocket.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 05:52:19 PM
I've got face masks, balaclavas and neck socks that I wear, mostly motorcycling, but occasionally in winter. Arguably in a lighter material that might suit in summer, but for your original idea - a shemagh/scarf/bandana/neckerchief setup (naming convention more a matter of your choice of material, pattern, and manner of wear, since in any and all cases it's just a piece of cloth) is a fine enough thing.

A bit of a stuff around in some ways, but once you get the hang of it they're great at keeping wind, sun, and dust off your face and neck, and can give a bit of shade for the eyes too. Far better than a hat if you've got a dry windy day and don't particularly like windburn all over your cheeks, nose, and lips, and a sore throat and caked up nose from sucking dust all day.

I'm quite an advocate - having said that, I really only wear them when the climate and geography requires it. I feel a right tosser wearing one down the local cafe for a latte and a newspaper....
I can totally see the winter one, cause our son bought one since he was working outside during winter and i fig it would be something good, and the one he bought was a winter fabric
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 05:54:23 PM

For a motorcycle I can so see, that windburn is nasty!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 05:56:43 PM
I love my Buff! I used to use it very day to bike 9 miles (work and back) under my helmet. In the summer it would wick away sweat from my head and protect my neck from sun. In the winter it would protect my face and neck from the wind. I've worn it hiking and biking and yeah, wouldn't be without one. I ordered mine from the official site to ensure getting a 'real' one. What I really love about them is just how small they pack down to in a bag or pocket.
Like I just said that wind burn can be nasty, and just because your going so many mph doesn’t mean you’ll not get sunburn!
JR

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:32 PM
Where the Buff really proves helpful for me is on the water.  I always wear a good broad brimmed hat, like a Tilley, but on the water, light is getting reflected back up under the hat. A buff can be worn around the neck or up over the nose to protect from sunburn.

If you spend a day at 4000', out on open water, you will get toasted if you don't protect yourself.

Also, a Buff can massively improve the sun protection of a baseball-style cap. I usually wear mine over the back of the cap, but this works too:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 06:34:59 PM
I did that once, no hat, no sun lotion, no nothing out on a boat fishing from like 6am to like 6pm, and I had a shaved head, I was fine until I got out out of the shower, I changed colors, I looked like a freaking lobster!
JR

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 09:35:54 PM
Go like Dr. Jones.
Much more stilish! Rs.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 10:02:53 PM
A Touratech "Buff" (aka neck gaiter?), bug covered helmet (it was clean before the ride), and my favorite shemagh for riding:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 10:04:57 PM
Already did like Dr. jones,
A better pic of the dickies
JR

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 10:08:54 PM
Good looking hat, JR.  :tu:

Got out for a walk today, Tilley and Buff were worn for sun protection:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30